Pigs Ass Porter - Harvest Moon Brewery

Pigs Ass PorterPigs Ass Porter

Harvest Moon Brewery visit their website
Montana, United States

English Porter |  ABV ?

First brewed by Harvest Moon in 1997, this beer is a multiple award-winning dark ale brewed in the Burton, England style owing to the similarity of water chemistry in Belt compared to this classic porter producing area in England. Plenty of body without a sharp bite, this ale is brewed with pale, caramel, chocolate and black malts to create a creamy, smooth, roasted, slightly chocolate tasting ale with a touch of hops in the finish. This ale can be enjoyed in every season and is best when served cool, not cold. And why the name? While drinking this new brew one evening back in 1997, the local hog farmer showed up to collect our spent mash and we that what could be better for fattening pigs?

(Beer added by: rebel1771 on 10-10-2003)
View: Beers (8) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Lelampp

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

09-15-2013 03:32:42 | More by Lelampp
stumac

2.56/5  rDev -33%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Ok so my drummer, Chim Chim, brought this back from his home town in Montana. Awesome name. Pigs Ass. I love it. Unfortunately this beer fell into the homebrew category. The beer has no krausen, it is a dark brown brew with a light brown edge. Yet the edge of the brew is murky. Not in a regular, murky Belgian yeast fest. It's murky like it could use a lil Irish moss clarity.
The aroma is syrupy malts, dust, metallic, lager-ish, slight Hershey's chocolate. Subtle vanilla.
The taste is brown sugar, cocoa powder, toasty malts. But the worst part is that it had this metallic overtone.
Mouthfeel is doo doo brown feel. Very watery. Probly a straight final gravity of 1. Non-porter-ish if you will. Lack of carbo fo cheezy. Very under carbonated.
In conclusion, I hate to say that this beer isn't worth it (only cuz this is from my buddy's town), but this beer is mediocre at best. To all the inbred bastards of Montana, I bid you adieu...

01-25-2013 07:25:58 | More by stumac
Jameswoody

2.75/5  rDev -28%

12-26-2012 00:13:08 | More by Jameswoody
dhannes

2.85/5  rDev -25.4%

Poured into Sam Adams' lager glass; head was pronounced, but short lived (note: I had sampled a beer previously in this glass but rinsed); color was dark brown, with a hint of charcoal gray; the smell was somewhat sour and, frankly, not appetizing; the taste reminded me of tobacco, i.e. as if I were smoking a mild cigar, and had few hints of sweetness. I can't recall a Porter that was more disappointing than this one.

09-27-2010 02:27:34 | More by dhannes

11-04-2013 23:32:34 | More by 1FatJ
alcstradamus

Washington

Reviewed from notes

Near black pour with two fingers of creamy head. Aroma is lightly toasted malts and some watery coffee bean. Floral hops and nuttiness round out a subtle but pleasant nose.

Flavor is mostly just watered down coffee and nuttiness. I would really like to know the ABV here, because if this is sub-5% I would probably bump the score up a bit. But not knowing how alcoholic it is, I really have to say the flavor just isn't there to really satisfy.

Mouthfeel is medium with sufficient carbonation. Drinkability is fine in terms of volume but low in terms of desire, so I'll give an average score here.

03-09-2010 00:02:20 | More by alcstradamus

beermeblazer99

05-05-2014 23:40:39 | More by beermeblazer99
Sark

3.43/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance- dark brown with a small island of head, red can be seen on the edges from the light

Smell- light coco noted within plenty of rich/dark malts

Taste- Big and toasty with sweet middle notes of chocolate and toffee, the roasted bitter finish is pleasant but not very well pronounced

Mouthfeel- full bodied and smooth, there's a small hop part and fast finish

Overall- a little more aroma would help impart a more full flavor, a bigger grain bill would suffice

05-18-2013 03:45:18 | More by Sark
EricCioe

3.48/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

One of six beers at a five person blind porter tasting including: Anchor Porter, Big Sky Bobo's Robust Porter, Deschutes Black Butte, Harvest Moon Pigs Ass Porter, Samuel Smith Taddy, and Sierra Nevada Porter. All of these are shelf beers in Montana.

This pours deep brown with red highlights. On the nose there are biggish notes of roast, chocolate, and a slight nuttiness that the other beers don't have. In the mouth the nuttiness is pretty prominent and combines with roast for a nice, classic porter taste. the body is medium light with a medium finish.

Overall this was clearly in the top three for all of us. I had it ranked third, but there was a gap between this and the fourth beer, SN Porter. This was a pleasant surprise for most of us present.

04-21-2012 19:37:43 | More by EricCioe

Oregon

08-18-2012 05:07:41 | More by craigreno
Knapp85

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out with a deep drown color with a thin brown head on top that fades into a light film over top of the beer. The smell of the beer gives off a roasted or burnt aroma. The smell of lager yeast is in there too. The taste of the beer is deeply roasted with very little sweetness to it, The mouthfeel is dry and thin. Overall this beer isn't bad, I feel it fits the style pretty well. I could see myself drinking it again but I won't go out of my way to have it again.

03-02-2012 15:32:16 | More by Knapp85
tjkinate

Nebraska

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Love the name!

A: Poured this dark brown brew into my Duvel Snifter that produced a 1 fingered khaki head that slowly dissipated. Some lacing exhibited.

S: Bisquity malts, semi sweet chocolate, molasses, subtle dark fruits.

T: Biscuit malts, semi sweet chocolate, earthy undertones, and subtle coffee hints. Flavors seemed a bit dull and underwhelming.

M: Light for the variety, crisp, and dry.

O: I enjoyed this beer, felt earthy and raw, just wish some of those flavors were more prominent.

10-16-2011 23:42:49 | More by tjkinate
zhanson88

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%

I have very good access to this beer and should have done a review on it a long time ago...oh well. Finally getting around to it now.

Appearance: Pigs Ass Porter pours a medium brown color. In the glass it looks dark brown with ruby highlights. About 1.5 fingers of very light tan head forms, reducing to a fine film of lacing.

Smell: Mostly biscuity and caramel malts with a few darker malts are prevalent up front, along with a bit of coffee and chocolate. Some floral hops on the back end. Too many malts of the biscuity variety for me. Would like more dark/roasted malts in there.

Taste: Biscuity, caramel and fewer dark malts make up the front end. Slight coffee and chocolate in the middle, with floral hops on the finish. I kind of feel the same about the taste as I do the smell, but I get a bit more dark malt/coffee.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Body is pretty light for the style with quite a bit of carbonation, but it still drinks reasonably smoothly. Overall, this is a pretty tasty porter that could use a bit of improvement. Still, not bad at all though. Nice offering from the small brewery Harvest Moon.

01-01-2011 06:30:19 | More by zhanson88
Wutz

North Dakota

3.7/5  rDev -3.1%

From notes dated 3-4-09:

Well, I'm not much of a porter fan (I really liked the Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter, though). I decided to try it because I was at a beer bar I frequent and they had just got it in so they wanted me to try it. It didn't change my mind about porters but, for the style, it was pretty good.

Appear - Rather dark until your glass catches a little light on the sides and it glows a deep ruby red. It had a cream-colored head which lasted quite a while with a little lacing following it down the glass.

Nose - Roasty and bready with a bit o' sweetness hidden in the back.

Taste - Initially it was much the same as the nose, nothing too out of sorts. As I drank it (very) slowly, the glass warmed a bit (probably past the recommended temperature) and the flavor changed. I couldn't identify it at the time, but the sweet-ish (maybe caramel malt) flavor dramatically improved the beer. The next time I can find it, I'm going to warm it to 55ºF and then open it. I imagine it'll be a completely different beer

Mouthfeel - medium/thin body with more carbonation than I typically like.

Drinkability - I drank it so it can't be too terrible. I drank it a lot faster when it warmed (and improved) than I did initially. The biting carbonation kind of turned me off of having another one that night (plus they didn't have any more at the time).

Summary - At first I didn't like it, but as the beer warmed up it improved quite a bit and, though I don't typically like porters, I came around and would have had another (at room temp).

03-30-2009 17:13:31 | More by Wutz
flagmantho

Washington

3.74/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: rich, dark brown that shines ruby when held up to the light. Body is free of haze and has a pretty strong effervescence; head is two fingers of pillowy tan foam. A good looking English porter!

Smell: lightly sweet malt with a gentle roasty, toasty character. Low in intensity, but well-composed.

Taste: toasty malt with plenty of caramel character with a little bit of coffeelike roastiness toward the end. Bitterness is moderate for the style, with a bit of a vegetal character. Not bad.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a decent carbonation. Refreshing, but not really creamy.

Overall: a decent and drinkable English porter. It doesn't blow me out of the water, but it's largely flaw-free.

08-17-2013 20:51:09 | More by flagmantho