Pigs Ass Porter - Harvest Moon Brewery

Harvest Moon Brewery visit their website
Montana, United States

English Porter |  ABV ?

Beer added by: rebel1771 on 10-10-2003

First brewed by Harvest Moon in 1997, this beer is a multiple award-winning dark ale brewed in the Burton, England style owing to the similarity of water chemistry in Belt compared to this classic porter producing area in England. Plenty of body without a sharp bite, this ale is brewed with pale, caramel, chocolate and black malts to create a creamy, smooth, roasted, slightly chocolate tasting ale with a touch of hops in the finish. This ale can be enjoyed in every season and is best when served cool, not cold. And why the name? While drinking this new brew one evening back in 1997, the local hog farmer showed up to collect our spent mash and we that what could be better for fattening pigs?
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 99 | Reviews: 35
4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

2.55/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Ok so my drummer, Chim Chim, brought this back from his home town in Montana. Awesome name. Pigs Ass. I love it. Unfortunately this beer fell into the homebrew category. The beer has no krausen, it is a dark brown brew with a light brown edge. Yet the edge of the brew is murky. Not in a regular, murky Belgian yeast fest. It's murky like it could use a lil Irish moss clarity.
The aroma is syrupy malts, dust, metallic, lager-ish, slight Hershey's chocolate. Subtle vanilla.
The taste is brown sugar, cocoa powder, toasty malts. But the worst part is that it had this metallic overtone.
Mouthfeel is doo doo brown feel. Very watery. Probly a straight final gravity of 1. Non-porter-ish if you will. Lack of carbo fo cheezy. Very under carbonated.
In conclusion, I hate to say that this beer isn't worth it (only cuz this is from my buddy's town), but this beer is mediocre at best. To all the inbred bastards of Montana, I bid you adieu...

4.09/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Reviewed live. The settled yeast at the bottom of the bottle is slightly worrisome.

A- Finger of light brown head, medium to low retention. Ruby-brown color, low clarity.

S- Roasted malts and chocolate. Rich, cream and roasted smelling.

T- Rich and delicious, chocolate and toffee. Maybe some coffee tastes, but slight. Tasty beer, not as cloying or acrid as many English Porters.

M- Thick, creamy and wet.

O- Damn good beer. Liked it when I first tried it, like it now.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%

Reviewed from tasting notes.

A. Very dark brown color with a nice firm single finger of foam that sticks around for a while, medium amounts of lacing left on the glass.

S,T. Medium roast coffee and some light milk chocolate / dark chocolate in combination with a sweeter semi-burnt malt that expresses itself more in the flavor than in the aroma. There is a whisper of anise in there as well if allowed to warm up.

M. Medium-heavy carbonation with a lighter body, very drinkable and feels light on the tongue for a porter.

3.47/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

One of six beers at a five person blind porter tasting including: Anchor Porter, Big Sky Bobo's Robust Porter, Deschutes Black Butte, Harvest Moon Pigs Ass Porter, Samuel Smith Taddy, and Sierra Nevada Porter. All of these are shelf beers in Montana.

This pours deep brown with red highlights. On the nose there are biggish notes of roast, chocolate, and a slight nuttiness that the other beers don't have. In the mouth the nuttiness is pretty prominent and combines with roast for a nice, classic porter taste. the body is medium light with a medium finish.

Overall this was clearly in the top three for all of us. I had it ranked third, but there was a gap between this and the fourth beer, SN Porter. This was a pleasant surprise for most of us present.

4.22/5  rDev +11.1%

I am going to start with my negative, lest it get lost in this review... I was expecting something more like a Storm King because I was under the illusion that the ABV was higher... And yet it is quite OK I didn't get it. Storm King is a stout... um, pigass -- PORTER... So...

Appearance in a beer almost never seems to me to be able to make the 5.0... I mean what level of coloration can you reward when you are dealing with so many levels of brown? I think when my eyes start feeling dreamy, that is a 5.0. This looks good. It isn't stout pitch and seems quite to style. It wont give me an orgasm looking at it, but I cant think of a beer that would...

The aroma is rich and malty. Unlike some beers that taste decent and smell like a warm shoe, this smells more like something you'd want to drink.

Taste... I wanted to just give this a 5. But then I think of all the wonderful big beers with big flavor that have the kind of ABV i thought this had, and this doesn't head up. It is good! but I think the rich aroma is better than the flavor result in this case. It seems right for the style... and then I get torn. Right for the style, could be richer in flavor, but nicely balanced to deflect the ABV. But then I was wrong about the ABV.

It is a thinner beer, not like one of your big-mouth-beefies. Again, I think close to style and perhaps a little restrained by the high ABV. A pleasant roll on the molars.

Intangibles creep in to seal the deal... this $7 6-pack with no hint of the ABV on the label comes across much more like a $12 6-pack where I sit... partially looking a little silly at the review I am writing 2/3 the way in. If this were on tap on a nitro, I think i would order one IV to go. It isn't perfect, but it is pretty damned good and certainly worth a flier on a cooler spring day where you aren't looking for some pussy-whipped wheat to quell the heat. If your having a little trouble sleeping, it might be just the ticket... but SHARE the 6-pack...

But then I went to the place where they made it. The ABV was more like 6%. Well, that is to style. It explains the lighter mouth feel... the lesser vibrato in taste. it does not change these things, it EXPLAINS them. But adding up what I had in my mouth and how much I think it is outstanding, and how it should have a good rating TO STYLE... this one ranks...

Nice job from this brewery. if you don't like this, you are liking boring beer.

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

a dark amber pour almost brown with sediment on the bottm (ohhhh yeahhhh, just the way i like 'em). smells smokey, almost bacony.. wait a second.. pig's ass? hmm.. chocolate aroma, caramel, toasted grains and smells of yeast.

light bodied porter with a creamy finish (medium body?).. nice and fizzy on the roof of the mouth.

tastes of chocolate, caramel, oak, a hint of maple.

this is a great beer to drink tonight as i am packaging a bunch of trades that are going out. a nice night cap.. a little light, but flavorful.

3.53/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out with a deep drown color with a thin brown head on top that fades into a light film over top of the beer. The smell of the beer gives off a roasted or burnt aroma. The smell of lager yeast is in there too. The taste of the beer is deeply roasted with very little sweetness to it, The mouthfeel is dry and thin. Overall this beer isn't bad, I feel it fits the style pretty well. I could see myself drinking it again but I won't go out of my way to have it again.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

A - Not too much lacing... Nice straw colored head builds, but not large or quickly. Brew is almost a dark brown. Kinda thin looking.

S - Lots of chocolate! A very slight pepper funk too. Nutty, lots of nuts.

T - Smooth. Milky. Nutty! Very rich for the texture.

M - Very thin, but holds the beer well for the type of style. Not rich or bitter. Kinda sweet. Low carbonation, but I think that's why I liked it.

O - Great surprise! My girlfriend brought this delightful brew back with her from Montana. Very good flavor, smooth and delicious. Very similar to a brown, but it contains enough style distinction.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Pigs Ass Porter from Harvest Moon Brewery