Asahi Super Dry - Asahi Breweries Ltd

awful

Asahi Breweries Ltd visit their website
Japan

Japanese Rice Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-15-2002)
Reviews by genaro:
1.9/5  rDev -29.9%

This beer poured to a clear gold with a head that was gone quickly. There was very little aroma. The taste was crisp and grainy. Good carbonation. Not much hop presence and kind of watery. The "super dry" premise? Not that dry, any dryness was probably more noticeable due to the near absence of any other ingredients. There was a slight sweetness in the aroma and taste as it warmed up. I had to try one, but I don't think I'd have one of these again.

genaro, Jan 25, 2004

beerhunter13, Jan 15, 2012
3.25/5  rDev +19.9%

FLASH, Jan 20, 2013

tohe9384, Sep 12, 2012
2.9/5  rDev +7%

Asahi Super Dry. Poured in to a stange glass for fun. Figured it would help charactor. I was right.

A- Pours a nice mildly hued straw yellow fluid that is followed by a very stable fluffy white head that sticks around till the end of the beer. Leaves mild but nice lacing for the type of beer.

S- Rice and barley....simple beer. But nice lager smell.

T- Simple flavors of a yeasty rice kick followed by simple malts (very little if any.)
Hop tart is possible at the end. Almost a metallic finish aftertaste.

M-D- For a rice lager it is very easy to drink with only the normal american adjuct lager distractions. That being said, slightly easier on the buds with a nice smoothness that is water-like. I could consume in mass amounts.

wesbrownyeah, May 23, 2009

tbryan5, Jan 19, 2013

MikeC144, Apr 09, 2014

mediumrare, Sep 08, 2014

TheAdamConners, Aug 03, 2012

Satyr179, Feb 03, 2013
3.35/5  rDev +23.6%

Presentation: It was poured from a 1000ml can into a German Masskrug. The can offers very little info about the beer. There is only a short description. It has no freshness date or abv%.

Appearance: A bright golden colored beer with great clarity and some carbonation fills my big German mug. On top I got a tall bright white head of foam that quickly faded to a thin wispy covering and as I drank it only made some light spotty lacing.

Smell: In the nose there is very little to pick up. All I got was a light cracker like maltiness with a wisp of grassy hops.

Taste/Palate: The flavor is simple, light and refreshing. I get a mild dry biscuity/cracker like malt base with a light kiss of hop bitterness. The finish is dry and a tad astringent. It has a light body with light carbonation and a thin watery feel.

Notes: Simple plain and yes dry.

generallee, Jan 20, 2011
1.88/5  rDev -30.6%

Super "Dry" Asahi... for starters, I live in the center of Canada and the bottle I bought was clearly marked 'Product of Thailand' by "Khon Kaen" brewery. Regardless, the bottle also states, 'brewed under supervision of Asahi Breweries Ltd. Tokyo, Japan.

To the review!

Appearance: Thin head, virtually nothing left over, and very little lacing. It's a very nice yellow. Looks nice, very clean.

Smell: smelled a bit spicy (could be a combination of malt and the alcohol smell making that) mixed with some bit of grassy smell with an initial blast of skunk leaving the bottle into the glass.

Taste: Homer Simpson can be quoted as saying "Hello, taste?" to a rice cake... that pretty much sums it up for me. Apart from a grassy taste left over after I burped on purpose trying to find something, this is a low point and one of the most flavorless beers I've had, ever. The initial tastes that were tasted could be seen as sweet and grassy that vanished almost instantly after swallowing, that's about it.

Mouth: The carbonation was the only thing that reminded me I was drinking a beer, very, very, very thin. Like fizzy water that had some lawn trimmings tossed into it, then blended up.

Drink: I guess if one likes tasting and feeling virtually nothing then it'd be great, I'm not that one.

I like substance and flavor, so this did not meet my cut. I believe that there is no beer in the world that deserves an F as I love beer too much to fail one and no matter how bad a beer is, it could likely be safer than local water of the area... but this was pretty bad and not worth the premium price.

EsoxLucius, Mar 01, 2009

Beerswag, Jan 18, 2013
2.28/5  rDev -15.9%

Had one of the big bottles, 21 ozs? States that it is brewed in Canada by Molson. Bit darker than I thought it was going to be with a strawish golden colour ... the head lacked big time. Husky almost metal-like aroma, little hay in there also. Thought it would be bone dry but there was a touch of residuals in the front, crisp finish was very dry. Lots of husky malt with metallic undertones from an astringent flavour, hops were quick and snappish with a sharp bitterness that went hand and hand with the husk flavour. Not a beer that I'll go back to.

Jason, Feb 15, 2002

aquazr1, May 06, 2014
2.63/5  rDev -3%

Pours basic macro yellow with a white head. Aroma is that of a basic macro lager with some sweetness. Flavor is more of the same with a little more sweetness than you get with American macro lagers. You also get some hop bitterness, but it is subdued. Thin mouthfeel and highly carbonated. Not a terrible beer, but not something I think I will try again.

Mora2000, Jan 05, 2010

GreenMountainBoy, Feb 15, 2014
2.88/5  rDev +6.3%

I never buy beer when I go out for sushi, but I figured I'd try it this time; the night just kind of demanded it. I've had Sapporo before, so I gave this one a go.

Poured into a nondescript lager glass. Light golden, a fairly stable foamy head that initially provided some lacing. Totally dissolved halfway through.

The nose is typically bland; light hops, a bit of grains, not much else. Non-offending though, and I didn't detect tin, which warrants some recognition.

The taste was fine, at least initially. Nothing too exciting, just your typical run of the mill pale lager with that unique rice character to it. Did the job during my meal, but I enjoyed this brew less and less as I continued.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery, perfect for eating heavy sushi, but that's about it.

Meh. Not particularly memorable, nor is it worth picking up again. There are better pales out there for the price, and I hate giving Molson money. I wish we could better brews from asia, because other than Sinha, it's all bland macro lagers. I know there are better brews than this.

JohnnyBarman, Jan 25, 2010
2.95/5  rDev +8.9%

Rated on price and availability:

A: This beer was a fairly average golden color, nothing too out of the ordinary with a steady head.

S: Smelled of nice grain, but a slight bitter note.

T: This was, as the name implies, fairly dry, which was not really a bad thing. As someone aforementioned, it'd be a good beer on a hot day, but more on that later. It was fairly similar to a Bud Light, or some other light American lager.

M: The mouthfeel, was bright and bubbly, which I did note did end on a dry end. The reason I think this would be a good beer on a hot day, it's light, refreshing, not too full for multiple, and that's what I liked about this beer, I could probably consume multiple and still be thirsty.

D: I rated this low, because it still has a season in mind for my beer. While I know that this is average for most beer drinkers I'm looking for a beer that, no matter the season, will quench my thirst, still this makes me want it to be a hot summer day.

Overall, I'd highly suggest this, despite my low rating, but it's nothing too special. Cheers.

NicholasCasber, Dec 11, 2009

SudsSurfer, Nov 19, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +29.2%

GuidedByVoices, Mar 25, 2012
1.2/5  rDev -55.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass at Disney's Epcot.

Appearance: Amber with a thin white head. No lacing on the glass.

Smell: Horrible skunky smell. Not pleasant.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste was skunked almost sour. Barely taste some hops.

Overall: One of the worse beers I've ever had. Will not have this one again.

Cavanaghty, Apr 27, 2014

innominat, Sep 12, 2013
2.49/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

33.8 oz can poured into a mason jar

A: Quite a large bone-white head that quickly reduced to about half a finger. This beer is the definition of yellow. Very clear with noticeably active carbonation.

S: Some floral hops. Better than I expected. If I didn’t know better, I’d say this was a respectable Czech pilsner.

T: Whoa. This has almost zero flavor. Neutral. I keep taking bigger gulps as an attempt to discern the flavor, but it’s difficult. There is a very slight bitterness in the finish that alerts me to the fact that this isn’t actually water, but it isn’t much. I wonder if it is some sort of twisted breakthrough that the brewers were able to impart such a nice hop aroma, yet have virtually none of it represented in the flavor. If so, then this is award-winning stuff.

M: Incredibly drinkable, yet almost completely unsatisfying. It is beer right? This is 5%?

O: One of the easier reviews I’ve written as there wasn’t much to write about. The weird thing is that I might actually review it more favorably than some other "real" beers because it is the least offensive beer I’ve ever consumed. The bad ones are at least flavorful...even if I dislike them.

mjtiernan, Jun 07, 2013
2.1/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance:
Like a Bud Light or Miller Light

Smell:
Very light and soapy smell.

Taste:
Bright and slightly sour taste. Overall pretty bland.

Mouthfeel.
A bit flat in the mouth... feels pretty watery.

Drinkability:
Kinda plain and bland. Seems as though it's missing something...

jsolack, Feb 18, 2004