Asahi Super Dry - Asahi Breweries Ltd

Asahi Breweries Ltd visit their website
Japan

Japanese Rice Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-15-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Asahi Super Dry Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,264 | Reviews: 492
4.88/5  rDev +80.7%

I am quite shocked to see the bad reviews. I love the dryness of this beer. To me it is better than Sapporo, though who can compete with the sturdiness of that can? Well, this is one of my favorite beers so wanted to give it a thumbs up. This minimum character ruling is annoying by the way!

4.37/5  rDev +61.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I've only had this in the bottle. I've drank it late nights in Downtown LA after clubbing.

The beer is light golden colored beer. It has a wheat taste and it goes down smooth. This is very popular beer so most beer fans have already drank this one like I have. If you haven't tried it, what are you waiting for. Got get some!

4.33/5  rDev +60.4%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: golden, clear; lots of bubbles streaming up the glass; soapy,
white head.

Aroma: a strong, stereotypical beer aroma; grainy; grassy.

Taste: grainy; grassy; dry; and a slightly hoppy finish.

Finish: semi-dry, crisp, refreshing.

4.3/5  rDev +59.3%

This is a delicious change of pace.A nice crisp taste with little or no aftertaste.This beer offers little carbonation without any bloating.Slightly higher price than your average beer but your tastebuds and stomach will thank you for it.In my opinion give it at least a try!

4.2/5  rDev +55.6%

Asahi Super Dry has a thick, white head and a clear, bubbly, straw appearance, with a decent amount of lacing left behind. The aroma is of indistinguishable grains and some slight sweetness. Taste is initially of malt, but then at the middle to the end of the sip one encounters a partially sweet alcohol flavor, and this is fairly bold. The aftertaste is grassy and stinging. The mouthfeel is light and watery, and Asahi Super Dry finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and super dry. Overall, I really like this beer, and I recommend it.

RJT

3.95/5  rDev +46.3%

I feel like I have to defend Super Dry a little. But I have to acknowledge that, for some reason, it is not good in the bottle. DO NOT buy Asahi Super Dry in a bottle, buy it in a can. Since it is a dry beer, it's taste and mouth feel are different and less sweet than usual, which makes it an ideal pairing with salty foods, especially East Asian cuisines. Served cold it is a great summer time thirst quencher as well.

Lucky Cavendish - Science Fiction Writer, Beer Lover

3.92/5  rDev +45.2%

This is nice, I could consume a number of these critters in any given session. Appearance is its weak point, really nice colour with limited head. Aroma is crisp and clean. Taste is of a well balanced brew with an ever slight lean towards the hops. Body is medium light which leads to a higher drinkability.

3.92/5  rDev +45.2%

Transparent straw golden body with good carbonation. White head consisting of tiny to medium bubbles. Decent retention but not much lace.
Mild but balanced malty scent. Light tan pinewood and mild pinenut sensations.
Off center malt profile, I'm guessing it's the rice but I cannot say. Not bad though. Slight vinegary sharp flavor on top of a sweet malt base. Shortlived aftertaste of mild hops and some malt.
Medium mouthfeel and leaves abit of coating. Not "super dry" by any stretch of the imagination.
Pretty good drinkability. I was pleasantly surprised by this brew but I did have low expectations. For a rice lager this was pretty good.

-Oelergud

3.89/5  rDev +44.1%

No, this score is not in error. I actually really like this beer. I cannot imagine it being maligned or disdained if tasted in a blind-tasting scenario, put it that way.

It looks like a fizzy BMC product, doubtless. The nose, however, well, it actually has substance; much more so than I would expect from a JRL. The taste is there too. I get some honey-floral sweetness, very restrained but still readily discernible. There is a fair amount of sweetness here for something labeled as 'Super Dry', although it is not 'sugary sweet' in any sense; the sweetness is a product of the nature of flavor suggestions (i.e. honey, flower blossoms, rice-sake-jasmine, etc.) Good stuff, at any rate. Feels good, easy drinking. I will always order this from now on at the Japanese steakhouse, no more Sapporo or Kirin (thankfully...), and I'd take this over Chang or Singha (by a smaller margin) as well.

3.87/5  rDev +43.3%

This is the final beer of the Asian beers I picked up from the restaurant I work at.

Poured from 12oz bottle into 19oz pilsner.

Appearance: Very light gold color with a medium-sized white head that leaves very quickly. Looks over-carbonated.

Smell: Husky and grassy, with a touch of citrus and sweetness.

Taste: An interesting malt character that blends with a hop bitterness and a bit of citrus. Best tasting beer of the ones I got.

Mouthfeel: Thin, heavy carbonation- nothing special.

Drinkability: The best tasting beer of the group of Asian beers I recently tasted. I would enjoy having this again, although not necessarily regularly

3.83/5  rDev +41.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Had recently in Japan, both bottle & can, but not on Tap. When came back to the States, found it in Bottle.

Light golden/straw beer, typically alot lighter than I drink (I did have the Black version in Japan - more my style).

Good head (small fine bubbles) and did sink down a bit (when poured in glass). Some carbonation.

Aroma was mild w/ hints of rice and some sweetness.

Flavor was mild, sweet to start then finishing to faint bitterness.

Worked well with everything we ate (beef, pork, chicken & burgers). Best consumed cold, toward the end of the bottle can get somewhat bitter when up to room temp.

3.8/5  rDev +40.7%

ON TAP IN JAPAN. Not made by molson. Made a huge difference in flavor, let me tell you.

Pours a light golden yellow with a white head. Decent retention and stickage, for the style.

Light grain aroma with grassy hops.

Dab of grain on the palate holds for a second, followed by a flash of hops. Extremely well balanced and finishes slightly rice grainy without any unpleasant traces at all. Now that is super dry!

Light bodied, as expected. I could (and did) drink so much of this, and not get tired of the flavor. Asahi in America simply sucks, get it on tap in Japan and you will see the huge difference.

3.77/5  rDev +39.6%

Appears golden, with a hint of light brown. Nice lacing & a white head that turns to a misty layer up top.

Smells sweet, malty, with mild grainy notes. Tastes dry, clean, & malty. Remarkably clean. Hops pull through to balance the malty first impression. Astringency from the hops.

Great light-medium body. Smooth, slightly grainy finish. Went well with mixed vegetables dressed with a kung pao & peanuts sauce. Much better than most macro American Lagers.

3.76/5  rDev +39.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Can?!? Howzabout a 1000 ml. (1 QT, 1.8 fl. oz) CAN?!? This isn't a review, it's a freagin' marathon! I'd better really like it, because there's plenty of it.

My aggressive pour produced an easy three fingers' (!) of rocky, bone-white head with really impressive retention. The nose had a sweet, lager-like aspect to it, which was right for the style. The color was a bright golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. I have to agree with the can's verbiage, which read: " ... and satin smoothness." The mouthfeel was very smooth, gliding across my tongue like the back of my hand running down my lover's spine. Just enough to remind me that it was there, but not enough to be obtrusive in any way. The taste was a bit sweet in the mouth, but not in the usual lager-sweet way. It was more subdued, with an idea of sweetness, but then again, not sweet. Definitely not hoppy. Hopheads, look elsewhere. The finish was dry, but it also left a lingering perfume-y taste after the swallow. I did not totally mind it, but I really wish that there had been some hops to offset all of the mild sweetness. Hey, for the price, the jug, I mean huge can, it was a bargain. Do I like lagers? Sure, but is just a kiss of the hops too much to ask for? I remain ambivalent.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

(bottle brewed in Toronto - poured into an Innis & Gunn fluted goblet)

A: crystal-clear, quite pale yellowish gold liquid... bit of a sudsy foam forms and settles out to a collar - standard... lace began to stick at the top, but soon ceased and dissolved

S: Euro pale lager-like, lightly-sulfured yeast... delicate potency of a mix between cornbread and butter cookie, mild notes of toasted white bread... blandish, straight-up

T: predominant lager yeast character, decent degree of cereal-like malt flavor ...vaguely chalky/bubblegummy midway ... dry, citrus- or melon-rind-like bitterness in the aftertaste, touch of grassy-ness as well... no residual sweetness... tastes like most others

M: moderate roundness and surprisingly remarkably soft and smooth, without an ounce of bite... it may be notably drier in the follow-through and finish than say a helles lager, however, I wouldn't call this "super" dry (as in, champagne?) - not too far removed from any other macro lager, but by far the best aspect of the beer

O: actually, for what it is, pretty enjoyable... I would say certain characteristics - its dryness - does make it stand out... flavor-wise, it's fairly standard as far as macro lagers go

3.75/5  rDev +38.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The beer is an excellent light food beer. Rice lager that is easy to drink and very under rated - If you want a light beer with a dry finish, that is easy to drink and you don't need to think about, I cannot recommend a better beer

This is not the beer you pick when you want a ton of flavor or something heavy, sometimes you just want something light and refreshing and it doesn't get in the way of anything else

This is that beer

3.75/5  rDev +38.9%

I'm surprised this beer got such a low rating. I guess people have a certain standard in their heads and anything falling outside that standard will be rejected irrespectlively of any real quality, unorthodox as it may be. This pours a yellow color and is moderately carbonated. It has a somewhat watery mouthfeel, but the taste is great. It really is super dry and as a person who really enjoys a dry alcholic beverage whether it be whisk(e)y or beer this really hits the spot. I used to drink this stuff when I was a kid; I would keep my stash hidden outside my house in the bushes during the winter. Inevitably it would freeze and let me tell you this stuff gets even better when it's been concentrated. I won't have any problems when I go to Japan because this stuff is alright with me. I especially like the 32oz. silver can it looks hilarious when you slowly pull it out of you front pocket, it looks like God's beer and that Asahi font is like a memory trigger.

3.72/5  rDev +37.8%

So on a personal level, this is not a beer I will ever consume again. But for what this beer is trying to be, I actually think it accomplishes it's goals pretty successfully. I even want to say that this is what most of the reviewers for this beer did not have in mind. Having said that, here is my honest and objective review:
Served at about 50 degrees F in pint glass listening to Pink Floyd's "Animals".
A 4cm pure white head appeared after the pour, which was nice; but shrank to about 1 cm after 5 minutes, and was completely gone halfway down my glass. It was a crystal clear shade of yellow, but contained heavy champagne-like carbonation (It didn't taint the mouth-feel or drinkability at all, but I figured it could have helped that head out a little).
The smell was grainy, but almost in dampened "Budweiser" way. It was, however, accompanied by a sweet aroma of rice. As it warmed it permeated a smell of very rich malt.
It started off on the tongue malty as well, then quickly creeped into a mild but sour hop flavor, and finally finished tasting very slightly of sake. True to a lager style, it was all very brief, defined, and well-contained.
The mouth-feel was as dry as bitter bones, and gave me the impression that I was drinking air. Like, it actually left me MORE thirsty after each sip. But hey, this beer is actually marketed as being designed as "super dry"... so if that sort of thing is up your alley, then this beer gets a high rating for mouth feel by me simply because it's doing it's job.
This beer is more tasty and refreshing than I had expected, and puts up a damn-good drinkability factor. But again... it's also either make or break with a personal opinion. If you don't like really dry beers, you probably shouldn't even be trying this in the first place. But if you do, and you are looking to try something a little different, I could recommend this. For what it's worth, this beer has me a little curious about higher caliber brews of this style.

3.71/5  rDev +37.4%

I don't know why everyone is so down on this beer. Asahi has some watery nonsense out there, but this Super Dry is a good, wheaty, mild, very drinkable and refreshing beer.

It appears that the pretense and snobbery of craft-brew-Gestapo affectations has overpowered the ability to objectively analyze something's enjoyability. Mild, refreshing beers are not bad, they're a different style, and we should look to rate beers according to how well they embody a style or accomplish a purpose, and this beer's purpose is to be well carbonated, light, and refreshing— which it is through and through.

3.7/5  rDev +37%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I went out of my common routine for this one, since i'd recently rediscovered myself in beer after the tonsilectomy. to the story.

Got myself the Jap beer in the fridge until I decided to pop it open alongside a big pork knuckle imported from germany. All I could think of is "so they lost the war, is this gonna be good?"

And the presence of the pork was overcome as I poured the beer. Cristal golden with a lot of carbonation, translucid, allowing the summer's hottest day's sunlight through and highlighting the medium head that formed and faded slowly, dormant until becoming a small coating above the liquid.

I did feel the smell, because your senses are enhanced when you've been unable to taste for 2 weeks. hops and some alcohol aggresively appeared, inviting me for a sip.

The liquid invaded my mouth. Troops of strong maltyness and wheatyness washed off the remnants of the germans in the palate, while a comfortable feel of alcohol made sure the perimeter was secure. In came the hops, at the end, pushing the frontiers and clearing the way down the throat, paved in a blitz already by the german schwein.

Best beer I've tasted ever? hardly. But it did split history with its aggressiveness, and the alliance sure made it a little less safe for my stomach, but a whole lot more pleasing.

Try not having a beer for 2 weeks then jumping into this combination. You'd be as hyped as myself.

3.7/5  rDev +37%

I didn't think I'd care much for this beer. I'm not really a big pale ale dude, but I was given a bottle of the Asahi Super Dry, and I would never throw a beer out without at least trying it. The best way I can describe this beer is a perfect starter beer. It's super smooth, super drinkable. I don't want to say it's watered down, because it packs flavor, and is quite refreshing. I had no problem drinking the bottle at all. I tend to lean toward dark ales, porters, and especially stouts. But if you want a smooth drinkable beer, or want to get one of your buddies into drinking brews without throwing his taste-buds for a loop, pick this beer up.

B+ beer, all the way

3.68/5  rDev +36.3%

A bottle while out for dinner. Poured into a glass.

A: The lager is light, a pale straw color that steadfastly retains its yellow color. Crystal clear, even a small stream of bubbles doesn't mar the view. Snow white head, pure, comes along and even laces in a few spots.

S: Aroma is fleeting, nonexistent immediately before gradually warming to a sweet cereal grain. Nothing in the way of bittering.

T: Sweet and dry, the lager seems to revel in its ricey base. The sweetness is grainy, a mild fruitiness in tow. The dryness is evident a few seconds after a sip is gone, making me want another gulp. Bitterness is an afterthought.

M: The light body and mild sweetness aided in cutting through the fiery dinner. A good drink that does justice to Asian cuisine.

3.68/5  rDev +36.3%

Another decent beer with an awful rating. Get a reality check. This 33. something can was very enjoyable with freshly caught New Jersey crabs. Followed a Founders Harvest Ale so maybe I was still getting the hoppy bitter aftertaste from that, but this was surprisingly hoppy, very dry, clean, crisp and very refreshing. No off taste or aromas, just good, fresh, regular dry beer. Kept going for the glass soon as I put it down, that says it all.

3.65/5  rDev +35.2%

Asahi

Appearance: pale straw yellow, medium head, and some good lacing.

Smell: grains, orange peel, and honey.

Taste: grains, slight hops, and a faint honey sweetness.

Mouthfeel: medium-light.

Overall:
This is a decent brew. It is fairly light, but still possesses a good amount of flavor.

3.65/5  rDev +35.2%

I have had lots of Asahi in the can, but this is my first time with this one in the bottle. Of course this isn't spectacular compared to the likes DFH or 3F's, but then again, it isn't that kind of product and it isn't marketed toward that kind of consumer. For what this product is, I really enjoy it. It poured a crystal clear golden straw colour with a 15mm snow white head that lasted for approximately 90 seconds. I was actually impressed with how long it hung around, quite honestly. Even when it faded, it did not go away completely. It simply subsided to about a 5mm blanket across the top. Thick sticky lacing clings to the sides of the glass. Has almost a green apple smell to it. You can certainly smell the rice and the rice-alcohol in this. Doesn't smell terrible by any stretch. Taste is slightly yeasty with some definite rice sugar sweetness present. I typically do not go for the Japanese rice lager style, but if I had to pick one, it would certainly be this over Kirin. I also like the dryness of the finish on this one. It is what it is, I suppose.

Asahi Super Dry from Asahi Breweries Ltd