Asahi Super Dry - Asahi Breweries Ltd

poor

awful

Asahi Breweries Ltd visit their website

Japanese Rice Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-15-2002)
View: Beers (29) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Asahi Super Dry Alström Bros
showell

Arizona

2.58/5  rDev -4.8%

I really wanted to like this one. I love most all Japanese food, and really wanted to like this one to have something to go with my Sushi, and so on, but I'm going to keep looking. It pours a fairly light yellow, pretty much like any macro, but it had an absolutely enormous head, that stuck around for quite a long time, very white. Not much smell, and I really couldn't tell the smell from any macro. As long as it was really cold, it was fairly palatable, but once it started to warm, the flavor became more metallic. I managed to finish it, but I really wasn't impressed. I'm going to keep it really cold, and drink it after work when I'm hot and tired from a long day in the 110s. Try it if you want, but there's much better out there.

05-30-2009 04:16:57 | More by showell
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

2.42/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malts, rice, grain and a touch of hops.

T: The taste bready up front with flavors of rice & grain and a little bit of malt sweetness. There's a mild hops presence that brings some balance, but there isn't very much flavor overall. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: Not very flavorful, goes down easily and is not too filling since there isn't much to it, mild kick, decent representation of style, I wasn't expecting much from this beer and I'll admit it was better than I thought it was going to be, but it's not a beer that I would want to drink again.

05-28-2009 03:23:55 | More by TheManiacalOne
Gyle41386

South Carolina

2.6/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a bomber into a pilsener glass.

Pours a light gold color. Not much head, despite a pretty vigorous pour. Not much lacing to speak of, either.

Typical adjunct lager aroma. Grainy with very little hops. Slight musty odor.

Very sweet start to the flavor. Slight metallic flavor. Pretty bland.

Well, it definitely is super dry. Bone dry finish. Pretty crisp and refreshing, but not really interesting enough to really enjoy.

05-23-2009 03:40:46 | More by Gyle41386
wesbrownyeah

2.9/5  rDev +7%

Asahi Super Dry. Poured in to a stange glass for fun. Figured it would help charactor. I was right.

A- Pours a nice mildly hued straw yellow fluid that is followed by a very stable fluffy white head that sticks around till the end of the beer. Leaves mild but nice lacing for the type of beer.

S- Rice and barley....simple beer. But nice lager smell.

T- Simple flavors of a yeasty rice kick followed by simple malts (very little if any.)
Hop tart is possible at the end. Almost a metallic finish aftertaste.

M-D- For a rice lager it is very easy to drink with only the normal american adjuct lager distractions. That being said, slightly easier on the buds with a nice smoothness that is water-like. I could consume in mass amounts.

05-23-2009 01:15:54 | More by wesbrownyeah
RollingRocker

Maryland

3.05/5  rDev +12.5%

Picked this one up after reading some reviews on BA. First glance was a standard yellow golden color with a quickly disappearing head with minimal amount of lacing. Faint odor of rice, grain and trace hops. The rice comes through in the flavor, finishes with a hoppy metallic flavor that doesn't linger. I could drink probably one of 1000mL cans after a long hot humid day and think it was the most refreshing thing ever. But that's about it.

-RR

05-17-2009 20:01:38 | More by RollingRocker
PDXHops

South Carolina

2.23/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours extremely pale gold. A finger of brilliant white head shows promise, but then disappears as quickly as it arrives. No lacing. Extremely light grain smell (read: next to no smell). Very light grain taste. Finishes fairly dry with a quick snap of lemonish and metallic bite. A terribly boring beer.

05-14-2009 22:12:03 | More by PDXHops
fullsweep

United Kingdom (England)

2.4/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

500 mL bottle poured into a pint glass.

Wasn't sure what to expect, as I'd never had an Asian beer (not counting India's Tiger).

Poured a very very pale yellow with a moderate one-finger head. This dissipated very quickly leaving only traces of lacing.

Nothing much in the scent other than non-discernible skunkiness. I can only assume this is from the rice.

Tastes a bit sweeter on the first sip than I expected. Just as I think I'm developing a taste for lagers, the bitter finish sets in (non-pleasant). Metallic tastes and rice grains present as well.

Nothing to speak of in the way of mouthfeel or drinkability. I must say though, it wasn't nearly as terrible as I might've expected. I wouldn't turn it down if offered a cold one. But I won't rush to try another one either.

05-04-2009 18:02:58 | More by fullsweep
joedon

2.2/5  rDev -18.8%

Japanese version of American macro-brew. Very clear bright yellow with white head. Not much aroma; perhaps a bit grassy and citrusy.
Taste is a bit off. My sample had a metallic flavor and a sour aftertaste with very dry finish.
Not easy to finish this beer. About the only good use would be really hot sweaty guy after mowing the lawn.

05-02-2009 08:52:25 | More by joedon
Traquairlover

3.6/5  rDev +32.8%

350ml poured into a pokal.

A = Medium straw, good clarity, large white head, fair retention, medium lacing.

S = Very light scents of wet, freshly cut grains,

T = Light honey, slight bitterness, like thin cover of lemon marmalade on buttered toast, but much lighter flavored. Pretty decent flavors if very light.

M = Light bodied, fair mouthcoating, leaves mouth with a dry feeling.

D = This is not a great beer, but it is perfectly pleasant for what it is.

04-21-2009 15:40:42 | More by Traquairlover
berserker256

2.05/5  rDev -24.4%

I bought a 21.4 ounce brown bottle of this beer today mostly because it's something that I wouldn't normally buy. I figured I'd try something new. I don't ever recall having a Japanese Rice Lager. Right off the bat, I don't think beer should be made from rice but I'll keep an open mind. It looks... OK. Light gold with a big puffy dish-soapy head. Smells... Not OK. It smells like cheap duck feed, dirt, and metal. Flavor? Extremely weak hints of an undetermined grain that was used instead of malted barley. Rice, I guess. Earthy hay, perhaps. inferior ingredients for sure. Very light and watery and quite flavorless. The carbonation distracts me from trying to determine what I'm tasting. Maybe there's a tiny touch of sweetness there. I don't know. It's not very good.

04-02-2009 18:30:47 | More by berserker256
jerryj

1.9/5  rDev -29.9%

after almost a year and a half in japan, i decided to try out the most popular beer in the country in which i'd been living.

so, i went down to a vending machine near my residence. ¥250 and the push of a button later, i had a can that reminded me of a good 'ole coors light in my hand. i prepared myself for the same watery drinkability of a coors light.

my mistake.

immediately, thoughts of vomit entered my head. initial gut reaction was to spit this out, but i respect beer too much... even terrible beer. i gave it another sip. i couldn't even taste the rice that was supposed to be the base. a strong and dry alcohol taste is prevalent, to the point of artificiality. in terms of the mouthfeel of the beer, that's probably the best point. the carbonation is what you'd expect of a macro beer, and rather well-balanced.

they say the dry taste appeals to the japanese palate, and sales show that it's the best-selling beer in japan. that being said, i'd recommend avoiding this beer at all costs. seriously, i've had better hopposhu.

04-02-2009 07:05:58 | More by jerryj
jpBeerGuy

2.35/5  rDev -13.3%

Ah yes... the first beer I was exposed to when I visited Japan for the first time in 2003. I almost gagged. It's the most popular beer in Japan. Why? From my personal experience and knowledge from being here almost 5 years, it has to be that it matches rice dishes perfectly (at least for them, not me). I almost always avoid this beer.

Appearance - Golden color. It actually has a nice pour and produces an average head. Not so frothy looking but a beer head (awa).

Smell - Smells like the average macro. You can get a hint of the rice up front as well as some hop and malt.

Taste - As the smell suggests... rice flavor is strong upfront and then a little hop and some malt in the back. If you can read the Kanji on the side it lists "malt, hop, sugar, rice, corn, and starch".

Mouthfeel - They call it "super-dry" because it leaves you smacking your lips and feeling a little gagged afterward. I almost always need to spit after drinking this stuff. Almost the same feeling after eating too much candy at Halloween.

Drinkability - It's pretty smooth going down but it takes many sessions to get used to the taste. Kind of like cough medicine. Once you know what to expect, you can chug it.

I don't recommend this beer. However, if you ever ask a Japanese person from Japan what their favorite beer is, there's a 95% chance they will say "Asahi SuperDry!". Then again, they tend to follow what is socially popular here and if the commercials on TV say "It's the #1 beer in Japan!", they will agree perpetuate that mantra...

03-31-2009 06:02:13 | More by jpBeerGuy
prototypic

2.17/5  rDev -19.9%

Super Dry is super clear and pale straw in color. A foamy white head that stands three fingers tall propels its look to above average. An extremely rapid descent and stringy strands of lace brings it back down. Just when things were getting good....

Very little activity with the aromatics. More muscle would help a little. But, it doesn't smell like there's much at all going on, even if it were amplified. It smells predominantly grainy and earthy. There's some very light, sweet malt notes. If any hops are here, I can't tell. Slightly vegetal. Not impressive at all.

The flavor is more appealing than the nose led me to expect. It still manages to be below average. Sweet malt and grain kicks it off. An earthy character permeates throughout. A light, floral hop flavor is noted. It's slightly spicy and disappears quickly giving way to an unappealing vegetal-corn flavor. I've had a couple of Japanese Rice Lagers and, to the extent there's any distinction from an adjunct or macro lager, I can't pick it up. Very ho-hum.

A very light, watered down body doesn't help matters. Carbonation is active and buzzy. I've encountered worse feels, but this isn't good. Drinkability is poor. The flavor is bad and there aren't any positive qualities to redeem that.

Asahi Super Dry is not good beer. It's consistent with my other limited experience with the style. It's also very consistent with adjunct/macro lagers...lacking in just about every respect. I'd offer constructive criticisms, but that would require a complete overhaul here. It needs a substantial amount of work. But, I suspect it's just as it was intended...beer for people who really don't like beer. Not recommended.

03-30-2009 01:36:04 | More by prototypic
Aenema

Maryland

2.58/5  rDev -4.8%

Appearance - Pours a clear, straw color with a one-inch, white head. There is no lacing and the head disappears quickly.
Smell - Some malt notes, but not much here.
Taste - Slight malt flavor followed by a brief bitter hop note. Not much flavor. Nothing offensive, just bland.
Mouthfeel - Light-bodied, highly carbonated and a dry, crisp finish.
Drinkability - Easily sessionable.
Overall - A boring, bland beer.

03-25-2009 04:40:19 | More by Aenema
Stunner97

2.73/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance- Yellow and clear with moderate carbonation as bubbles run up the glass

Smell - Pretty underwhelming smell not much at all maybe very slight grain and very slight hops

Taste- The taste is pretty light as well but maybe can pick up a very slight hop in the flavor of it, almost has some characteristics of a wheat beer and wheat flavors,

Mouthfeel- decent carbonation and very crisp and light

Drinkability- Its strongest point is certainly its drink ability, as its so light and crisp that you could really throw this back quick, would be one not to really savor the flavor but reminiscent of a macro that you would just be using to throw back quick, not terrible but not great,

03-23-2009 20:01:23 | More by Stunner97
CityBoy1986

Mississippi

2.63/5  rDev -3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner glass. What freshness date?

The pour is almost golden with two fingers' white head. The head is gone quickly, and there is very little lacing.

There is little smell, but what I can catch is sweet with a tiny bit of spice. Something in there reminds me of Budweiser. The sweetness continues into the taste, but the spice goes by the wayside in favour of some grassiness. Some metallic flavour is present as well. There is very little bitterness, and as the name states, the finish is dry (not so sure about the super part).

Mouthfeel is light and watery. Carbonation is high (which fits with the style). Drinkability suffers because of the lingering metallic taste. I am glad that I have only the one bottle.

This beer is a prime example of higher cost not always giving better product. I bought this thinking it would have more to offer than other Japanese beers I've had. I definitely will not be trying this again.

03-23-2009 19:22:05 | More by CityBoy1986
TheHammer

Ontario (Canada)

2.08/5  rDev -23.2%

Appearance - Came in a silver ridged can with no best before date. Pours with a solid thumb of head, which sadly barely laces and does not retain. The beer itself is a crystal clear pale gold color (as expected for a beer that makes use of rice) and exhibits clear signs of carbonation. The pros outweigh the cons in this case.

Smell - Not much here, even after the beer has had a chance to warm up. I'm definitely getting rice, that is for sure and I think I'm catching a bit of weak spicy hops, but it's barely there. Not that appealing and thankfully not that strong.

Taste - This beer is bland as all heck and tastes watered down. It starts with water, then gives you a kick of hops and ends with slight hop bitterness mixed with burnt rice. It's thankfully subdued, but it's not that good. Leaves a bit of a filmy, metallic aftertaste that I'm not a fan of.

Mouthfeel - This beer leaves a filmy, bitter and metallic aftertaste that lingers but doesn't built thankfully. The beer also has carbonation issues as it seems to start foaming just as it touches your throat.

Drinkability - This beer is surprisingly harsh on the stomach, and it feels like you are swallowing foam as you put it down. It's refreshing up until you swallow it, if that makes any sense. However, this isn't something that I could drink en masse.

Final Thoughts - I knew when I bought this beer, it would be a disappointment, but I figured "Have an open mind, don't judge it till you try it." Well I tried it, and needless to say I wasn't surprised. This beer is tolerable, but not much else. I'd drink it if is was the only beer available, but other then that, it's not worthwhile. It will be some time before I chance a Japanese style again, that is for sure.

03-13-2009 03:16:22 | More by TheHammer
EsoxLucius

Saskatchewan (Canada)

1.88/5  rDev -30.6%

Super "Dry" Asahi... for starters, I live in the center of Canada and the bottle I bought was clearly marked 'Product of Thailand' by "Khon Kaen" brewery. Regardless, the bottle also states, 'brewed under supervision of Asahi Breweries Ltd. Tokyo, Japan.

To the review!

Appearance: Thin head, virtually nothing left over, and very little lacing. It's a very nice yellow. Looks nice, very clean.

Smell: smelled a bit spicy (could be a combination of malt and the alcohol smell making that) mixed with some bit of grassy smell with an initial blast of skunk leaving the bottle into the glass.

Taste: Homer Simpson can be quoted as saying "Hello, taste?" to a rice cake... that pretty much sums it up for me. Apart from a grassy taste left over after I burped on purpose trying to find something, this is a low point and one of the most flavorless beers I've had, ever. The initial tastes that were tasted could be seen as sweet and grassy that vanished almost instantly after swallowing, that's about it.

Mouth: The carbonation was the only thing that reminded me I was drinking a beer, very, very, very thin. Like fizzy water that had some lawn trimmings tossed into it, then blended up.

Drink: I guess if one likes tasting and feeling virtually nothing then it'd be great, I'm not that one.

I like substance and flavor, so this did not meet my cut. I believe that there is no beer in the world that deserves an F as I love beer too much to fail one and no matter how bad a beer is, it could likely be safer than local water of the area... but this was pretty bad and not worth the premium price.

03-01-2009 05:44:04 | More by EsoxLucius
MarsMoose

3.65/5  rDev +34.7%

I've noticed that many of the reviews here on BA have very low ratings, and I think that this is most likely because many of the reviewers have had the Canadian-made version from a bottle as opposed to the real deal on tap in Japan. During the two summers I spent in Japan, this was my beer of choice. The slightly nutty, crisp flavor is very pleasant, and the persistent head and beautiful golden color makes it a very nice looking beer. Having used it as a session beer multiple times at an all-you-can-drink okonomiyaki restaurant, I can attest to the smooth drinkability of this Japanese beer.

While admittedly not an amazing beer, it's definitely a very nice cheap drink that goes really well with Japanese food. I only wish that the domestic version tasted true to the original.

02-27-2009 19:01:30 | More by MarsMoose
Bootscraper

Wisconsin

3.78/5  rDev +39.5%

So on a personal level, this is not a beer I will ever consume again. But for what this beer is trying to be, I actually think it accomplishes it's goals pretty successfully. I even want to say that this is what most of the reviewers for this beer did not have in mind. Having said that, here is my honest and objective review:
Served at about 50 degrees F in pint glass listening to Pink Floyd's "Animals".
A 4cm pure white head appeared after the pour, which was nice; but shrank to about 1 cm after 5 minutes, and was completely gone halfway down my glass. It was a crystal clear shade of yellow, but contained heavy champagne-like carbonation (It didn't taint the mouth-feel or drinkability at all, but I figured it could have helped that head out a little).
The smell was grainy, but almost in dampened "Budweiser" way. It was, however, accompanied by a sweet aroma of rice. As it warmed it permeated a smell of very rich malt.
It started off on the tongue malty as well, then quickly creeped into a mild but sour hop flavor, and finally finished tasting very slightly of sake. True to a lager style, it was all very brief, defined, and well-contained.
The mouth-feel was as dry as bitter bones, and gave me the impression that I was drinking air. Like, it actually left me MORE thirsty after each sip. But hey, this beer is actually marketed as being designed as "super dry"... so if that sort of thing is up your alley, then this beer gets a high rating for mouth feel by me simply because it's doing it's job.
This beer is more tasty and refreshing than I had expected, and puts up a damn-good drinkability factor. But again... it's also either make or break with a personal opinion. If you don't like really dry beers, you probably shouldn't even be trying this in the first place. But if you do, and you are looking to try something a little different, I could recommend this. For what it's worth, this beer has me a little curious about higher caliber brews of this style.

01-30-2009 05:36:06 | More by Bootscraper
Mistofminn

3.03/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this at Big Bowl, only because a fried offered to pay for it. I've never had it so why not.

Pours a golden yellow color with a white head that dissipates
nearly immediately to a small minuscule layer.

The aroma is sweet, too sweet for my liking. It is also grainy and there is a rice smell (then again, I am surrounded by pounds and pounds of rice so that could be affecting it).

Taste is very crisp and dry. Not very much going on here. Watery and thin on the mouth, light in body. At least it's pretty easy to slam it?

I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

01-28-2009 06:57:59 | More by Mistofminn
twiggamortis420

3.38/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a medium golden color with a macro-esque fizzy white head that fades rapidly to near nothingness.

Smell is only mildly offensive. Sweet, grainy and lightly malty. Not skunky smelling, but kind of urinal mint like.

Taste is better than the smell indicates. Still quite light in flavor, but it is crisp with a dry finish. I can actually discern some hop flavor and bitterness here. I would take this over BMC light beers any day. Not super, but could do plenty worse for a saki bomb accompaniment.

01-25-2009 21:16:13 | More by twiggamortis420
Cyberkedi

Georgia

2.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a typical lagerish clear yellow, OK white head. Aroma is crisp, simple, not too strong. Flavor is crisp, strong, malty, better than most macro lagers if lacking in complexity. Texture is fairly smooth and firm, not at all watery. Not great, but acceptable.

01-20-2009 00:59:12 | More by Cyberkedi
Mosstrooper

3.93/5  rDev +45%

This is the final beer of the Asian beers I picked up from the restaurant I work at.

Poured from 12oz bottle into 19oz pilsner.

Appearance: Very light gold color with a medium-sized white head that leaves very quickly. Looks over-carbonated.

Smell: Husky and grassy, with a touch of citrus and sweetness.

Taste: An interesting malt character that blends with a hop bitterness and a bit of citrus. Best tasting beer of the ones I got.

Mouthfeel: Thin, heavy carbonation- nothing special.

Drinkability: The best tasting beer of the group of Asian beers I recently tasted. I would enjoy having this again, although not necessarily regularly

01-16-2009 03:06:31 | More by Mosstrooper
BedetheVenerable

Missouri

2.35/5  rDev -13.3%

Presentation: 24oz bomber with twist-off cap...now brewed in Canada the bottle tells me.

Appearance: Bright gold beer with crazy high carbonation...snow white head forms from a vigorous pour and settles into a 1/2 inch creamy cap which leaves a bit of lace.

Smell: Pretty standard: lots of generic sweet, adjuncty graininess.

Taste: Fairly typical for the style; it's got a normal "American Macro" taste, with touches of sweet grain, a LIGHT hop flavor, and lots of metallic notes in the background...it ends crisp and pretty dry...but there's an ODD non-hoppy bitterness in the background, which becomes more noticeable as you drink, and is not real pleasant at all.

Mouthfeel: Very fizzy, prickly from the high carbonation; it's light bodied, but not super thin.

Drinkability: Medium-low...the weird metallic bitterness actually got to me so much after awhile that I poured half of this bomber down the drain.

Conclusion: It is what it is...it's not a style that lends itself to greatness (or even mediocrity, IMO) and this is average at best for the style.

01-08-2009 18:51:21 | More by BedetheVenerable