1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Asahi Super Dry - Asahi Breweries Ltd

Asahi Super DryAsahi Super Dry

poor

awful

Asahi Breweries Ltd visit their website
Japan

Japanese Rice Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-15-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Asahi Super Dry Alström Bros
1.9/5  rDev -29.6%

after almost a year and a half in japan, i decided to try out the most popular beer in the country in which i'd been living.

so, i went down to a vending machine near my residence. ¥250 and the push of a button later, i had a can that reminded me of a good 'ole coors light in my hand. i prepared myself for the same watery drinkability of a coors light.

my mistake.

immediately, thoughts of vomit entered my head. initial gut reaction was to spit this out, but i respect beer too much... even terrible beer. i gave it another sip. i couldn't even taste the rice that was supposed to be the base. a strong and dry alcohol taste is prevalent, to the point of artificiality. in terms of the mouthfeel of the beer, that's probably the best point. the carbonation is what you'd expect of a macro beer, and rather well-balanced.

they say the dry taste appeals to the japanese palate, and sales show that it's the best-selling beer in japan. that being said, i'd recommend avoiding this beer at all costs. seriously, i've had better hopposhu.

jerryj, Apr 02, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -13%

Ah yes... the first beer I was exposed to when I visited Japan for the first time in 2003. I almost gagged. It's the most popular beer in Japan. Why? From my personal experience and knowledge from being here almost 5 years, it has to be that it matches rice dishes perfectly (at least for them, not me). I almost always avoid this beer.

Appearance - Golden color. It actually has a nice pour and produces an average head. Not so frothy looking but a beer head (awa).

Smell - Smells like the average macro. You can get a hint of the rice up front as well as some hop and malt.

Taste - As the smell suggests... rice flavor is strong upfront and then a little hop and some malt in the back. If you can read the Kanji on the side it lists "malt, hop, sugar, rice, corn, and starch".

Mouthfeel - They call it "super-dry" because it leaves you smacking your lips and feeling a little gagged afterward. I almost always need to spit after drinking this stuff. Almost the same feeling after eating too much candy at Halloween.

Drinkability - It's pretty smooth going down but it takes many sessions to get used to the taste. Kind of like cough medicine. Once you know what to expect, you can chug it.

I don't recommend this beer. However, if you ever ask a Japanese person from Japan what their favorite beer is, there's a 95% chance they will say "Asahi SuperDry!". Then again, they tend to follow what is socially popular here and if the commercials on TV say "It's the #1 beer in Japan!", they will agree perpetuate that mantra...

jpBeerGuy, Mar 31, 2009
2.17/5  rDev -19.6%

Super Dry is super clear and pale straw in color. A foamy white head that stands three fingers tall propels its look to above average. An extremely rapid descent and stringy strands of lace brings it back down. Just when things were getting good....

Very little activity with the aromatics. More muscle would help a little. But, it doesn't smell like there's much at all going on, even if it were amplified. It smells predominantly grainy and earthy. There's some very light, sweet malt notes. If any hops are here, I can't tell. Slightly vegetal. Not impressive at all.

The flavor is more appealing than the nose led me to expect. It still manages to be below average. Sweet malt and grain kicks it off. An earthy character permeates throughout. A light, floral hop flavor is noted. It's slightly spicy and disappears quickly giving way to an unappealing vegetal-corn flavor. I've had a couple of Japanese Rice Lagers and, to the extent there's any distinction from an adjunct or macro lager, I can't pick it up. Very ho-hum.

A very light, watered down body doesn't help matters. Carbonation is active and buzzy. I've encountered worse feels, but this isn't good. Drinkability is poor. The flavor is bad and there aren't any positive qualities to redeem that.

Asahi Super Dry is not good beer. It's consistent with my other limited experience with the style. It's also very consistent with adjunct/macro lagers...lacking in just about every respect. I'd offer constructive criticisms, but that would require a complete overhaul here. It needs a substantial amount of work. But, I suspect it's just as it was intended...beer for people who really don't like beer. Not recommended.

prototypic, Mar 30, 2009
2.58/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance - Pours a clear, straw color with a one-inch, white head. There is no lacing and the head disappears quickly.
Smell - Some malt notes, but not much here.
Taste - Slight malt flavor followed by a brief bitter hop note. Not much flavor. Nothing offensive, just bland.
Mouthfeel - Light-bodied, highly carbonated and a dry, crisp finish.
Drinkability - Easily sessionable.
Overall - A boring, bland beer.

Aenema, Mar 25, 2009
2.73/5  rDev +1.1%

Appearance- Yellow and clear with moderate carbonation as bubbles run up the glass

Smell - Pretty underwhelming smell not much at all maybe very slight grain and very slight hops

Taste- The taste is pretty light as well but maybe can pick up a very slight hop in the flavor of it, almost has some characteristics of a wheat beer and wheat flavors,

Mouthfeel- decent carbonation and very crisp and light

Drinkability- Its strongest point is certainly its drink ability, as its so light and crisp that you could really throw this back quick, would be one not to really savor the flavor but reminiscent of a macro that you would just be using to throw back quick, not terrible but not great,

Stunner97, Mar 23, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -2.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner glass. What freshness date?

The pour is almost golden with two fingers' white head. The head is gone quickly, and there is very little lacing.

There is little smell, but what I can catch is sweet with a tiny bit of spice. Something in there reminds me of Budweiser. The sweetness continues into the taste, but the spice goes by the wayside in favour of some grassiness. Some metallic flavour is present as well. There is very little bitterness, and as the name states, the finish is dry (not so sure about the super part).

Mouthfeel is light and watery. Carbonation is high (which fits with the style). Drinkability suffers because of the lingering metallic taste. I am glad that I have only the one bottle.

This beer is a prime example of higher cost not always giving better product. I bought this thinking it would have more to offer than other Japanese beers I've had. I definitely will not be trying this again.

CityBoy1986, Mar 23, 2009
2.08/5  rDev -23%

Appearance - Came in a silver ridged can with no best before date. Pours with a solid thumb of head, which sadly barely laces and does not retain. The beer itself is a crystal clear pale gold color (as expected for a beer that makes use of rice) and exhibits clear signs of carbonation. The pros outweigh the cons in this case.

Smell - Not much here, even after the beer has had a chance to warm up. I'm definitely getting rice, that is for sure and I think I'm catching a bit of weak spicy hops, but it's barely there. Not that appealing and thankfully not that strong.

Taste - This beer is bland as all heck and tastes watered down. It starts with water, then gives you a kick of hops and ends with slight hop bitterness mixed with burnt rice. It's thankfully subdued, but it's not that good. Leaves a bit of a filmy, metallic aftertaste that I'm not a fan of.

Mouthfeel - This beer leaves a filmy, bitter and metallic aftertaste that lingers but doesn't built thankfully. The beer also has carbonation issues as it seems to start foaming just as it touches your throat.

Drinkability - This beer is surprisingly harsh on the stomach, and it feels like you are swallowing foam as you put it down. It's refreshing up until you swallow it, if that makes any sense. However, this isn't something that I could drink en masse.

Final Thoughts - I knew when I bought this beer, it would be a disappointment, but I figured "Have an open mind, don't judge it till you try it." Well I tried it, and needless to say I wasn't surprised. This beer is tolerable, but not much else. I'd drink it if is was the only beer available, but other then that, it's not worthwhile. It will be some time before I chance a Japanese style again, that is for sure.

TheHammer, Mar 13, 2009
1.88/5  rDev -30.4%

Super "Dry" Asahi... for starters, I live in the center of Canada and the bottle I bought was clearly marked 'Product of Thailand' by "Khon Kaen" brewery. Regardless, the bottle also states, 'brewed under supervision of Asahi Breweries Ltd. Tokyo, Japan.

To the review!

Appearance: Thin head, virtually nothing left over, and very little lacing. It's a very nice yellow. Looks nice, very clean.

Smell: smelled a bit spicy (could be a combination of malt and the alcohol smell making that) mixed with some bit of grassy smell with an initial blast of skunk leaving the bottle into the glass.

Taste: Homer Simpson can be quoted as saying "Hello, taste?" to a rice cake... that pretty much sums it up for me. Apart from a grassy taste left over after I burped on purpose trying to find something, this is a low point and one of the most flavorless beers I've had, ever. The initial tastes that were tasted could be seen as sweet and grassy that vanished almost instantly after swallowing, that's about it.

Mouth: The carbonation was the only thing that reminded me I was drinking a beer, very, very, very thin. Like fizzy water that had some lawn trimmings tossed into it, then blended up.

Drink: I guess if one likes tasting and feeling virtually nothing then it'd be great, I'm not that one.

I like substance and flavor, so this did not meet my cut. I believe that there is no beer in the world that deserves an F as I love beer too much to fail one and no matter how bad a beer is, it could likely be safer than local water of the area... but this was pretty bad and not worth the premium price.

EsoxLucius, Mar 01, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +35.2%

I've noticed that many of the reviews here on BA have very low ratings, and I think that this is most likely because many of the reviewers have had the Canadian-made version from a bottle as opposed to the real deal on tap in Japan. During the two summers I spent in Japan, this was my beer of choice. The slightly nutty, crisp flavor is very pleasant, and the persistent head and beautiful golden color makes it a very nice looking beer. Having used it as a session beer multiple times at an all-you-can-drink okonomiyaki restaurant, I can attest to the smooth drinkability of this Japanese beer.

While admittedly not an amazing beer, it's definitely a very nice cheap drink that goes really well with Japanese food. I only wish that the domestic version tasted true to the original.

MarsMoose, Feb 27, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +40%

So on a personal level, this is not a beer I will ever consume again. But for what this beer is trying to be, I actually think it accomplishes it's goals pretty successfully. I even want to say that this is what most of the reviewers for this beer did not have in mind. Having said that, here is my honest and objective review:
Served at about 50 degrees F in pint glass listening to Pink Floyd's "Animals".
A 4cm pure white head appeared after the pour, which was nice; but shrank to about 1 cm after 5 minutes, and was completely gone halfway down my glass. It was a crystal clear shade of yellow, but contained heavy champagne-like carbonation (It didn't taint the mouth-feel or drinkability at all, but I figured it could have helped that head out a little).
The smell was grainy, but almost in dampened "Budweiser" way. It was, however, accompanied by a sweet aroma of rice. As it warmed it permeated a smell of very rich malt.
It started off on the tongue malty as well, then quickly creeped into a mild but sour hop flavor, and finally finished tasting very slightly of sake. True to a lager style, it was all very brief, defined, and well-contained.
The mouth-feel was as dry as bitter bones, and gave me the impression that I was drinking air. Like, it actually left me MORE thirsty after each sip. But hey, this beer is actually marketed as being designed as "super dry"... so if that sort of thing is up your alley, then this beer gets a high rating for mouth feel by me simply because it's doing it's job.
This beer is more tasty and refreshing than I had expected, and puts up a damn-good drinkability factor. But again... it's also either make or break with a personal opinion. If you don't like really dry beers, you probably shouldn't even be trying this in the first place. But if you do, and you are looking to try something a little different, I could recommend this. For what it's worth, this beer has me a little curious about higher caliber brews of this style.

Bootscraper, Jan 30, 2009
3.03/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this at Big Bowl, only because a fried offered to pay for it. I've never had it so why not.

Pours a golden yellow color with a white head that dissipates
nearly immediately to a small minuscule layer.

The aroma is sweet, too sweet for my liking. It is also grainy and there is a rice smell (then again, I am surrounded by pounds and pounds of rice so that could be affecting it).

Taste is very crisp and dry. Not very much going on here. Watery and thin on the mouth, light in body. At least it's pretty easy to slam it?

I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

Mistofminn, Jan 28, 2009
3.38/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a medium golden color with a macro-esque fizzy white head that fades rapidly to near nothingness.

Smell is only mildly offensive. Sweet, grainy and lightly malty. Not skunky smelling, but kind of urinal mint like.

Taste is better than the smell indicates. Still quite light in flavor, but it is crisp with a dry finish. I can actually discern some hop flavor and bitterness here. I would take this over BMC light beers any day. Not super, but could do plenty worse for a saki bomb accompaniment.

twiggamortis420, Jan 25, 2009
2.88/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a typical lagerish clear yellow, OK white head. Aroma is crisp, simple, not too strong. Flavor is crisp, strong, malty, better than most macro lagers if lacking in complexity. Texture is fairly smooth and firm, not at all watery. Not great, but acceptable.

Cyberkedi, Jan 20, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +45.6%

This is the final beer of the Asian beers I picked up from the restaurant I work at.

Poured from 12oz bottle into 19oz pilsner.

Appearance: Very light gold color with a medium-sized white head that leaves very quickly. Looks over-carbonated.

Smell: Husky and grassy, with a touch of citrus and sweetness.

Taste: An interesting malt character that blends with a hop bitterness and a bit of citrus. Best tasting beer of the ones I got.

Mouthfeel: Thin, heavy carbonation- nothing special.

Drinkability: The best tasting beer of the group of Asian beers I recently tasted. I would enjoy having this again, although not necessarily regularly

Mosstrooper, Jan 16, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -13%

Presentation: 24oz bomber with twist-off cap...now brewed in Canada the bottle tells me.

Appearance: Bright gold beer with crazy high carbonation...snow white head forms from a vigorous pour and settles into a 1/2 inch creamy cap which leaves a bit of lace.

Smell: Pretty standard: lots of generic sweet, adjuncty graininess.

Taste: Fairly typical for the style; it's got a normal "American Macro" taste, with touches of sweet grain, a LIGHT hop flavor, and lots of metallic notes in the background...it ends crisp and pretty dry...but there's an ODD non-hoppy bitterness in the background, which becomes more noticeable as you drink, and is not real pleasant at all.

Mouthfeel: Very fizzy, prickly from the high carbonation; it's light bodied, but not super thin.

Drinkability: Medium-low...the weird metallic bitterness actually got to me so much after awhile that I poured half of this bomber down the drain.

Conclusion: It is what it is...it's not a style that lends itself to greatness (or even mediocrity, IMO) and this is average at best for the style.

BedetheVenerable, Jan 08, 2009
2.33/5  rDev -13.7%

A: This beer looks really good. Crystal clear gold with very active carbonation from small bubbles. Pillow like white head has incredible retention and leaves substantial lace.

S: If only the rest of the beer were as good as the appearance. The first whiff presents the nose with a dose of steamed vegetables and little else.

T: There isn't much to taste, but what is there is nothing special. Thankfully, the cooked vegetable aroma doesn't carry too much into the flavor. It's mostly a combination of straw like malt and cooked rice. Bitterness is there to provide balance and nothing else. Finishes very dry and clean.

M: Light body is quite fizzy.

D: At least it's pretty to look at. Not worth a revisit.

Rayek, Jan 07, 2009
2.13/5  rDev -21.1%

Had this with my buddy that told me that this is his favorite Japanese beer. I was less than impressed. Gold color poured in glass with little head. Smell...not really. Taste was even more disappointing with no real discernible flavors. Was carbonated. I wouldn't want another one of these for free.

cpn920, Dec 31, 2008
2.95/5  rDev +9.3%

Spotted this at Miller's 46 Restaurant in Bangalore. I ordered a 1lb burger and this beer. Thought the burger would take away the pain of a mass lager.

Poured (by the server) a pale golden, not unexpected for the style. Very thin head, didn't return with a quick swirl of the glass. Didn't look bad, though. average
Smell....couldn't tell. My dinner guest ordered a sizzling steak platter and the steam/smoke was waffing my way. average to be safe
Taste was thin, had a touch of grain and grass. It did not have that musky, stale, old sock taste to it that most lagers over here have. It was refreshing change.
Thin in the feel. Dry? Or thin? Thin i believe. Didn't quench of leave anything to be desired.
An average beer overall....but for these parts it's good enough.

Mebuzzard, Dec 14, 2008
2.05/5  rDev -24.1%

This beer is simply too dry and left me extremely thirsty after drinking it. It pours a light yellow and has a bitter smell with a small, fizzing head. It's almost impossible to notice any sort of taste, because the liquid almost immediately evaporates after hitting your tongue.

germanbeer1, Nov 24, 2008
2.48/5  rDev -8.1%

Aroma is lightly malty with alcohol. It has an average head but has some clumps in it after it subsides, very little lacing. Golden amber color typical for Pale Lagers. Taste is a little weak and the only thing that save this is the unique hops. Too bad there is not much of them to taste. Brief maltiness in the finish. Aftertaste is almost non existent but being a super dry beer that would be expected. Pretty so so at best.

nick76, Nov 20, 2008
2.58/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured pale yellow from the can with a white fizzy head. No lacing.

Smells of light sweet malt and a little hop. Not much else there.

Light light light malt sweetness, a touch of bitterness, and a crisp, mouth-clearing dry finish. Good with the food it is typically served with, but I can't imaging drinking this by itself.

Decent carbonation, lighter bodied, but enough flavor to know you've had a sip. Fights through the salty-ginger flavors of decent sushi. Overall, I could have had seltzer or stuck with tea and gotten the same effect. Greasy italian food last night, and this for lunch -- I'm done for the day.

OtherShoe2, Nov 16, 2008
3.08/5  rDev +14.1%

Reviewed 1/4/2008 (Bottle):

Pours a light yellow colored body, and a small white head. Mm, a malty aroma, fresh. Taste is clean, and nutty. Watery mouthfeel. Refreshing. A little alcoholy, a little dry, but not too bad overall. Eh, a lager, but more flavor than most big brother beer.

jujubeast6000, Nov 05, 2008
3.13/5  rDev +15.9%

A. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. About what I expected, light straw yellow with a tight bone white head.

S. Scant nose of grain and sweet rice.

T. A slightly sweet beer due to rice malt and little hops. Just a slight bitter notion. A bit smooth and no off flavors to be found.

M. Certainly this beer's best attribute. Goes down light bodied, smooth and slick, but has a wonderful dry finish that cleans my palate after some eel and cucumber rolls.

D. Good for what it is, preferred to many american light beers. A good sushi bar brew.

Stinkypuss, Oct 31, 2008

The Super Dry Asahi which is an good beer to have with your sushi, poured a straw color with a finger foam head and had the tiny bubbles rising through the clear hay colored rice brew.

The smell was grainy and of lemons. The taste was plain and grainy. It was pretty dry and moderately carbonated. Overall not bad for its purpose. Washing down some sushi.

cswhitehorse, Oct 22, 2008
2.2/5  rDev -18.5%

Pint in Kagoshima, Japan.

The best selling beer in Japan is like the best selling beers anywhere... not particularly good or flavourful. Clear yellow body with a small white head, which quickly disappears. Mild sweet aroma, with a hint of cooked rice. Bland taste - some sweetness, a little generic bitterness, and not much else. Dry finish. Light body and medium carbonation is par for the style.

There's really very little to say about beer like this, as it doesn't excel or leave a lasting memory in any area. Not even that great when compared to some of the other Japanese beers in its class. Looking back on this review in 2010 I've finally come across a good rice lager brewed in Toronto, and it really highlights the potential of the style that the big brewers have missed out on. It also makes this swing and a miss all the more disappointing.

bobsy, Oct 12, 2008