Asahi Super Dry - Asahi Breweries Ltd

Asahi Breweries Ltd visit their website
Japan

Japanese Rice Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-15-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Asahi Super Dry Alström Bros
1.96/5  rDev -27.4%

A 12 oz bottle with no expiration date poured into a pint glass.

A - Beer pours with very little head. Light yellow in color.

S - Turns me off. Light hop notes, lots of hay/straw.

T - I get a pretty decent metallic taste followed by a rather bad aftertaste that I can't describe. Definitely not impressed.

M - Decently carbonated. Feels good for the style.

O - A very poor beer. I'd take a bud/miller/coors product over this any day.

2.03/5  rDev -24.8%

A - This beer pours a clear decent looking yellow color. It has a big 2-finger fizzy head on it, that leaves just a few specs of lace behind.

S - It smells sweet and slightly grainy. There is a bit of earthy notes and a touch if hop presence as well. Overall, the smell is not that impressive, but it's certainly not offensive like I assumed it would be.

T - The tastes is sweet grains and corn adjuncts. There is some slight hop character and some bitterness. The taste isn't that offensive, but its pretty sweet tasting.

M - This has a thin light body and pretty low carbonation. It goes down alright, and has some lingering bitterness.

O - The drinkability here isn't very good, but its not the worst either. I would choose this over some of the other macros available for sure. The taste isn't too offensive (Just don't let it warm) and it goes down fairly easy. I'd drink one again if some one offered me one, but I wouldn't spend money on it again.

2.45/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Served in a plastic cup on a picnic, so does not really get any of the apearence, but it don't seem to differ from the normal light lager kind.
Smells a bit nostalgic, from when me and my friends bough a sixpack of the only and cheapest beer we could get (being under-age and broke) to bring to parties. But nostalgic doesn't necessarily mean good, smells kind of just skunky.
Tastes sweet biscuity malt, and somewhat like carbonated rice water, and the mouthfeel is just carbonation, not noticing any "dryness" out of the ordinary.

2.41/5  rDev -10.7%

Nothing special here. Pours a golden straw color, no head to speak of. Had a metallic taste for sure and it just seemed to linger on the tongue, which was unpleasant. Reminded me a lot of a US Macrobrew Budweiser/Coors, but with that strange metallic taste to it. Had a faint grain taste to it, but just barely. Not something I would drink again.

2.65/5  rDev -1.9%

12oz bottle served in a standard shaker pint.

pours a light golden/yellow tone with a tall, spritzy white head that recedes fairly quickly; not much lacing to speak of.

nose is mild, with some grainy, rice aromas being it's centerpiece. not getting much in the way of hops.

flavor imparts a vague maltiness along with the grainy, rice-like notes evident in the nose. again, hops pretty much nonexistent. finish is clean. an underwhelming, inoffensive macro beer. not much better than your BMC.

medium-light mouthfeel with average to above average carbonation.

overall, meh. don't have a big frame of reference for this style, but to me it falls somewhere in the macro continuum alongside coors and heineken. drinkable but really not doing a lot for me.

1.8/5  rDev -33.3%

Wasn't able to get much of a rice flavor from this. I've had other beers from Japan that do have flavors of rice in it. Anyway this beer was another Pale Yellow in color Lager, the smell of malts are all that I got out of it. No aroma of hops. My favorite thing about this beer is the label.

3.42/5  rDev +26.7%

Reviewing this again, don't think my older review was fair when this got an F.

Cloudy straw yellow appearance with bubbly head that slowly disappears. Smell consists of grain, grass, sweetness and a hint of malt.

Taste is similar to the smell, sweet and grainy with a slight hint of malt and citrus. Nothing to complicated and light, but it is also clean and refreshing. Light-medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Aftertaste has a lingering dry maltiness, probably the strongest part of the beer.

Overall, not the greatest beer, but it's simple and works. If your thirsty and it's hot out, grab a tall can of this.

3.07/5  rDev +13.7%

Nice break from some moree complex beers. Pours a pale straw color with fine bubbles rising to the top of the pilsner glass forming a thick sea foam head. The nose is of sweet corn syrup and malt. The taste is like the smell with a light mouthfeel and high drinkability

3.15/5  rDev +16.7%

12 oz bottle at 42 degrees into a pint glass.

A: It pours an incredibly clear pale yellow color with a finger of fizzy white head that quickly dies.

S: Sweet grain, pale malts, and some berries.

T: Sweet corn and that's it. It is unoffensive when it is cold.

M: It has a light body with moderate carbonation.

D: This is very drinkable and doesn't have a terrible taste. If it was a little cheaper, it would be a viable party option.

3.89/5  rDev +44.1%

No, this score is not in error. I actually really like this beer. I cannot imagine it being maligned or disdained if tasted in a blind-tasting scenario, put it that way.

It looks like a fizzy BMC product, doubtless. The nose, however, well, it actually has substance; much more so than I would expect from a JRL. The taste is there too. I get some honey-floral sweetness, very restrained but still readily discernible. There is a fair amount of sweetness here for something labeled as 'Super Dry', although it is not 'sugary sweet' in any sense; the sweetness is a product of the nature of flavor suggestions (i.e. honey, flower blossoms, rice-sake-jasmine, etc.) Good stuff, at any rate. Feels good, easy drinking. I will always order this from now on at the Japanese steakhouse, no more Sapporo or Kirin (thankfully...), and I'd take this over Chang or Singha (by a smaller margin) as well.

2.72/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance: Clear pale yellow color. Had a thick (+1") head, but the foam looked like soap suds, not creamy. The head quickly fell to a ring which left little lacing.

Smell: Very slight sweet smell, a bit of grain.

Taste: A sourness mars this beer's taste. There is a bit of malt sweetness, but very little hops.

Mouthfeel: It does have a very dry finish, as per the name. Light bodied, with a lot of carbonation.

Drinkability: By itself (as I had this one), it is not impressive; just not enough here to interest me. But with food it should do fine.

3.3/5  rDev +22.2%

Review based on product produced in Thailand under supervision of Asahi Breweries, Tokyo. Freshness date of August 2011.

Poured a clean and clear golden colour with a soapy white head that reduced to a collar in minutes and left no lacing.

Smelled rather skunky when I first popped the top. After a few minutes, I get a sweet, grainy aroma with a wine-like "boozy" tone to it. Simple and clean for the most part, inoffensive compared to some other Asian beers I've tried.

The taste has a bready maltiness to it, though it is pretty mild. The beer is most definitely dry after the initial taste and leaves little in the way of aftertaste.

This beer is very light on my palate and I perceive a high level of carbonation. I find it crisp and refreshing overall.

Not quite up to par with Sapporo, but I'd order it at a sushi restaurant and just may buy a sixer when I'm looking for an easy drinking beer in the Summer months.

2.85/5  rDev +5.6%

Asahi Super Dry is extremely light and not very flavorful. I find that I enjoy it the most when I'm drinking it with very flavorful foods and I want something light and sort of neutral to accompany it. Tonight I paired it with braised short ribs in a sweet sauce made with mirin, soy, and maple syrup.

I don't imagine it would be as enjoyable on its own but with spicy or bold-flavored food I think it works pretty well.

3.35/5  rDev +24.1%

Please note this beer is Asahi Super Dry but brewed under license in Thailand for some unknown reason.. like just about every other fucking beer in Australia.

A - Pale yellow colour, decent head.

S - Bit of wheat and grass.

T - Fairly smooth and terribly malty. It's dry and there's some bready flavours as well.

M - The malt coats pretty much the entire mouth and leaves only the slightest aftertaste - something I'm sure you'd pick up the following morning if you drank enough of these.

D - Pleasant enough to drink without being offensive.

So from my limited experience of Japanese beers they tend to be crisp yet malty, dry yet soothing. Basically something like this.. except brewed in Japan. In Australia we have three common Japanese brews available, however none of them are actually brewed in Japan. This is brewed in Thailand, Sapporo is brewed in Canada and Kirin Ichiban is brewed here in Australia. For the record I have experienced the proper Asahi (from a delightful 1l can) and it deserves better than the C rating which this version should earn. Much more crisp and vibrant - drink that one if you can..

3.33/5  rDev +23.3%

Presentation: It was poured from a 1000ml can into a German Masskrug. The can offers very little info about the beer. There is only a short description. It has no freshness date or abv%.

Appearance: A bright golden colored beer with great clarity and some carbonation fills my big German mug. On top I got a tall bright white head of foam that quickly faded to a thin wispy covering and as I drank it only made some light spotty lacing.

Smell: In the nose there is very little to pick up. All I got was a light cracker like maltiness with a wisp of grassy hops.

Taste/Palate: The flavor is simple, light and refreshing. I get a mild dry biscuity/cracker like malt base with a light kiss of hop bitterness. The finish is dry and a tad astringent. It has a light body with light carbonation and a thin watery feel.

Notes: Simple plain and yes dry.

2.93/5  rDev +8.5%

A- clearn yellow piss water with a thin line of carbonation bubbles around the rim of the glass.

S- light notes of biscuit and some straw grainy smell.

T- Like the nose with a bitter bite of a finish pretty refreshing.

M- Light mouthfeel highly carbonated.

D- Its as drinkable as it gets, nice to have around for a hot summer day or if you just want to quaff.

2.88/5  rDev +6.7%

A: Pours a pale golden color with abig head and some lacing.

S: Light aroma of some grain. Unoffensive.

T: Taste is sort of bland with a bit of a metallic flavor. Somewhat dry finish.

F: Light body, well carbonated. quite clean and crisp.

Standard "Dry Beer". Seems to go best with Asian food.

2.85/5  rDev +5.6%

Pale golden, with high carbonation.

Flavor is light and airy, with no lingering flavors or complexity whatsoever. I sensed the rice content before actually reading of it. There's something extra-clean and light to this beer that most corny adjuncts just don't have.

Still, despite the novelty of a rice beer, this one ended up tasting watery and just about as average as can be.

2.15/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

A: Nice rising carbonation yet little head. What's there is patchy. Light golden yellow.

S: My first rice lager, so I don't know what I'm really describing, but a "clean" malt, perhaps ricey, but that might just be the style name influencing me.

T: Oh, now I remember what Japanese beer tastes like. A strange sourness, that's almost gross. There's an ok malt underneath but the sourness is so strong and almost gross that it doesn't help.

M: Abnormally astringent (part of the sourness) yet nice carbonation and a thinish body.

D: Barely.

2.73/5  rDev +1.1%

500ml can. "Super" dry just sounds mildly unappetizing, doesn't it?

This beer pours an ultra-clear, super-pale golden straw colour, with two fingers of loosely foamy, rather sudsy off-white head, which leaves a small ring of drooping soap scum lace around the glass as it hastily recedes.

It smells of more grainy than glutinous sour rice 'malt', a thankfully restrained touch of acetone stank, and subtle earthy, weedy hops. The taste is semi-sweet rice husks, with a hint of rice cake 'breadiness', a surprising dearth of the unpleasant sourness proffered in the nose, and some strangely astringent, and actually spicy metallic noble hops.

The carbonation is fairly low-key, with a slight, understated frothiness, the body on the far side of medium-light weight, and kind of clammy in its otherwise plain-ass smoothness. It finishes off-dry, and relatively clean, but with the echoes of a rice pudding sweetness.

Not exactly something one should endeavor to quaff on its own, but easy enough to put back alongside some spicy Japanese fare, the kind made for accommodating (or maybe vice-versa) the kind of hideous sweet and tangy character of this offering. I'm guessing 'Super' somehow translates to "now less sickly malty, and with a metallic offset instead". Pardon my French.

1.9/5  rDev -29.6%

135ml can from Japan.

Bright straw colour. Clear. Very light head that disappears quickly.

Not unpleasant aromas. Quite light. A bit of grassiness.

Very metallic on the palate. Hard to get past that to see anything else. Awful.

Thin in the mouth.

I thought the Japanese brewed version might have been better than the OS brewed versions I have tried but if anything it was worse.

3.55/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

You really have to love beer to appreciate the nuances in appearance and smell. Although I agree with my counterparts that the beer may be lacking in appearance, its the bottle itself shining the advertisement of the brew itself. I enjoyed it thoroughly. The brew has a rice taste quality to it, and it wasn't a pun by identifying the brew by the manufacturer as satiny smoothness. Went down well. To me, as long as the beer tastes reasonable, then its worthy of my session. You wouldn't be disappointed.

3.33/5  rDev +23.3%

A: poured a translucent golden yellow with pale yellow highlights that had almost no lacing and left virtually no lacing sticking to the glass.

S: the aroma was pretty basic consisting of various grains some citrus character and a hint of spice but was very malty.

T: the taste was also pretty grainy and malty with citrus accents but had a touch of spice.

M: the brew was light in body with a low amount of carbonation which had a slight sweet, grainy,mild crisp and dry finish.

D: it drank very good cause it was thin in body and went very good paired with sushi and shrimp tempura.

1.98/5  rDev -26.7%

Appearance - Very clear, straw color. Thin, white head that was gone almost before I finished pouring. Scant amount of lacing left on the glass. A few bubbles coming up from the bottom.

Smell - Very light hops in the nose. Getting, what I find to be, a wet corn or wet wheat smell. Somewhat off putting actually. This beer actually smells kind of stale.

Taste - The taste reveals the corn with a touch of hop bitterness. Not much. Some astringency is a bit distracting. Got a bit of "the funk" rearing it's head in the taste also.

Mouthfeel - Thin, but surprisingly rather dry. Not much is left on the palate however. It is smooth and could be somewhat refreshing if need be. Doesn't feel bad by any means.

Drinkability - Well... I like to give each beer a fair review and I respect all brewers, but I probably won't be visiting this beer again. Some may like it and I'm sure it has its place, but it's just not the beer for me. I'm better off having tried it though.

2.8/5  rDev +3.7%

Moderately pale yellow in color with a white head that actually lasts a fair amount of time.

Corn like sweetness, some grassy notes. Pretty light on the nose.

Astringent quality with a sharp bitterness. Adjunct sweetness that is pretty light. Not the worst beer I've tasted.

The body is very thin and light, but the carbonation is actually quite nice and bountiful.

Nothing to really brag about here, but it is better than some BMC products I've had. I wouldn't recommend this unless you just want ti try a Japanese Rice Lager.

Asahi Super Dry from Asahi Breweries Ltd