Asahi Black (Kuronama) - Asahi Breweries Ltd

Asahi Black (Kuronama)Asahi Black (Kuronama)

good

Asahi Breweries Ltd visit their website
Japan

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.00% ABV

"a premium dark ale."

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-01-2002)
Dieck

TGS

02-16-2012 04:14:59 | More by TGS
rickyleepotts

Arizona

Today has been a good day… and I have some time to kill before meeting my buddy Scott for dinner, so I figured we could review a beer. I am not sure if I have had this before, but reading they use rice has me pumped up. I have been on a rice IPA kick lately… just something that smooths out the mouthfeel and provides a more enjoyable experience. Also a cool story about how Asahi basically took over from being the name of the beer to being the name of the brewery. We are having sushi for dinner… so this is only fitting!

Here is another small bottle… 11.3 ounces on this one. Would it really kill them to send a full beer? No worries. I am ready to drink! Oh, and we are meeting Scott at Angel's Trumpet Ale House… so I will be drinking plenty there.

In the Glass: It's dark, but it's not black. I wish I knew Japanese… I wonder what the label says/means. It could say, "This is the best beer ever!" and we would never know. When I was pouring it, the beer produced a really nice creamy head… but it was gone as fast as I could turn around. Not much lace to speak of. Let's see what she smells like. (I still feel weird writing that…)

Nose: This smells like rich malty bread. The rice isn't really coming through, but I am sure it will in both the mouthfeel and the flavor. A second whiff has me smelling some of those dark malts that were tacked about. I hope the flavor delivers.

Flavor: It's nice, but not until the end. There is a lot going on with the mouthfeel… but the flavor is really lacking for a beer that is sold by the palate. Or is it palette? You know what I mean. The best part of this beer is the finish. In the tasting notes they mentioned coffee several times, but I am not getting much coffee from this. There might be a hint of coffee in the finish, but the dark malts are all I am getting here.

Mouthfeel: At first, there isn't much going on and then it explodes into a crisp sharp malty backbone. Then, as it sits on the palate it begins to dry. I get a hint of coffee notes as it finishes, but that isn't really changing the mouthfeel. I don't want to call it boring, but it's nothing to write home about.

Aftertaste: This is the best part. It has a nice drying finish to it, but the flavor dwindles in a hurry. Right after I swallow it tastes good… and I want that flavor to continue. But it doesn't. I am still not getting any rice from this. Grab a Flying Fish Wild Rice Double IPA… THAT is what rice is supposed to taste like in a beer. If I were to buy an Asahi beer again, it would be the Super Dry. We are having sushi later. I hope they have Asahi Super Dry!

06-19-2013 00:06:44 | More by rickyleepotts

Japan

07-27-2014 10:26:25 | More by mrjez
JayTheFinn

3.78/5  rDev +7.1%

Came across this at a Japanese restaurant (Edomasa) in Santa Barbara. I didn't realize Asahi did a dark lager.

A - Dark body like a stout with a pretty big off-white head.
S - Sweet malty scent. Slight coffee smell in there.
T - Smooth and malty. Not overly sweet, nor chalky, just a little of both. There's a roasty slight chocolate flavor.
M - Kind of a little thin in the mouthfeel. There's flavors yes, but they don't spread about the tongue much.
D - Very smooth, easy drinker.

08-02-2006 04:47:38 | More by JayTheFinn
Coastal_Brew

British Columbia (Canada)

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

12-03-2013 18:23:34 | More by Coastal_Brew
basica

Singapore

3.48/5  rDev -1.4%

A - Pours almost opaque dark amber brown into my Samuel Adams Globe pint glass with a nice, thick, beige, milky-foamy head (4)

S - Nutty notes blended with dark malts and a slight smokiness on the nose (3.5)

T - Roasted malts with a touch of sweetness upfront revealing a fairly mild and watered-down middle; subtle hints of hops show up towards the finish accompanied by a very mild bitterness. Light dashes of dark fruity notes were detected towards the finish and in the after taste (3.5)

M - Light to medium bodied with little carbonation and a watery texture (3)

D - Easy drinking and refreshing but unimpressive in the nose, flavor and feel; quite a stark contrast from the accolades about this beer (3.5)

12-21-2010 16:25:55 | More by basica
Mauerhan

4.2/5  rDev +19%

so i was out to sushi last night when i asked my server what they had as far as beer goes. He rattled off the usual list of sapporo, sapporo light, kirin, kirin light, asahi and asahi black...wait asahi black? it might have just been pure ignorance towards Japanese lagers but i had never heard of this. well its worth a try.

pours a dark rich brown into my glass with a nice fluffy one finger mocha cream fudge head. some nice roasty red highlights when held up to the light.

smell catches me off guard. i am hit by a rich malty aroma. full of chocolate, slight bready smell.

taste is great. i am surprised by how much i really enjoy this beer. smooth cocoa, rich malts are the star of this show. tasty.

this beer is crazy good for a commercial import lager. i will be drinking this again asap.

01-12-2009 16:52:01 | More by Mauerhan
AustinBeerLvr

3.55/5  rDev +0.6%

Had this out of a bottle tonight at a Sushi place here in Austin.

A: Pours a deep black color w/a good amount of head.

S: Nose is mostly rice and some roasted malts.

T: Up front, this brew is very good, as the toasted malt flavor makes its precense and is very good at that. Finishes with a minial hop bitterness and some estercey flavors as well.

M: Watery, just too darn thin for a dark beer, even if it's meant to go w/food.

D: Overally, I would say this a fairly good, drinkable brew. Not something I would buy on a regular basis, but when I am having sushi, I think it's defenitely one of the better choices out there. It certainly beats the hell out of the lighter Japanese brews I have tried.

08-11-2007 06:06:34 | More by AustinBeerLvr
cheers2beers

Served in a Snifter:

Appearance: This beer appears to be a black looking color till held to the light which reveals a dark ruby tint, a pillowy cream colored head that whithers away to just a white ring floating on top.No laceing.

Smell: The nose is of toffee,caramel and a sweet oat aroma.Also a little chocolatey and perhaps a hint of cinnamon.

Taste: Identical to the nose the flavors are right on.The caramel,sweetened chocolate,toffee,french vanilla coffee all play good roles in this beer.

Mouthfeel: A medium to thin mouthfeel.Nicely carbonated to create a bubblely finish.

Drinkability: I can honestly say this is now one of my favorite Japanese beers,but on the down side I paid 13 dollars and some change for a sixer.A little steep if you ask me.Ill try any beer at least once with disreguard to price.Definitely a must try.

Cheers2Beers

02-21-2006 02:05:25 | More by cheers2beers
evlu1441

Alberta (Canada)

3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

I kind of like Japanese lagers, so i figured I'd try something a bit different from one of Japan's biggest brewers.

It pours a very dark ruby colour with a nice foamy head that quickly settles down to a thin layer over the beer.

The smell is delicious! Nice and roasty with a hint of chocolate, but nothing overpowering.

The flavour is light but the roasty character is present the whole way through. It is slightly sweet which is nice as well. It doesn't have too much hop bite, which makes it "warmer" than other lagers. I would say this is an excellent beer to use when introducing people to dark beers. It is highly drinkable while having all the nice qualities of a dark lager.

05-31-2011 00:46:02 | More by evlu1441

07-28-2014 20:12:15 | More by AlvinLin
Dawkfan

Alberta (Canada)

3.55/5  rDev +0.6%

A- Pours a light black, with a tinge of red. Nice looking beige head that reduces to a thin layer leaving some lacing.

S- Smells sweet, I get caramel, toffee, brown sugar, a little bit of chocolate. Really is quite pleasant.

T- The smell is so much better than the taste. I'm getting mild roastiness, a tad bit of coffee and chocolate and a somewhat bitter finish.

M- Thin but creamy body, fairly high carbonation.

D- Easy to drink, it's a lot better than most of the Japanese beers I've had. Well worth a try.

10-30-2009 23:12:05 | More by Dawkfan