Asahi Dry Black - Asahi Breweries Ltd

Beer added by: Hoppsbabo on 01-30-2013

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last
Reviews by Fatehunter:
3.44/5  rDev n/a

Pours two fingers of foamy tan head on a black body.
The aroma has an attempt at roasted malt... but has a mostly dry grain smell.
The taste has some roasted malt notes, mellow sweetness throughout but not overpowering. Retains a good balance.
The texture is smooth and lighter with lower carbonation.
An easy drinking black beer. (330 characters)

2.11/5  rDev n/a
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Poured from a can I bought from the AAA store on Okinawa. Two fingers of head on top of dark rootbeer quickly melt away leaving no lacing. The nose holds tin, wet grain and light malts, it has that MBC stadium beer smell.
The flavor offers more than the nose, but is still very mild. If corn grits, white rice and seltzer water made a child the child would taste like this beer. There is a brief bitterness in the background which I would assume is from hops. Medium body and big bubbles are what I find the most enjoyable part of this beer.

Overall I would not recommend this beer, but hey, you may enjoy it. (611 characters)

2.25/5  rDev n/a

3.68/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.03/5  rDev n/a

So, I'll begin; I'm a Washington native, and have lived in the NL, been to Brugge, drink craft beer like all the time. With that said, this is going to be skewed; though, in my opinion, all beer is beer.

I poured this thing out after drinking about 80ml, which is a shame, because it cost 210yen; hardly justifiable. Between $2-3 is the price all beers go for at supermarkets and convenience stores in Japan. I just can't reconcile with putting garbage into my body for two dollars.

Anyways, why I poured it out? Taste was like every cheap lager you could imagine; with the death liquid from Prometheus' appearance. The scent, yeah, non existent. The taste, bitter, no after taste; utter crap.

For those of you seeking some depth as to why the big four Japanese beer companies are essentially the same, I just wrote a research paper in regards to this. In short, Asahi is the go to consumer marketing beer; more so than others. Super dry was designed and styled to catch materialistic people's attention, merely desiring the culture of beer after work, and a light taste to wash down food. It is very light, and is very popular among Japanese women for this; which the beer industry largely began to cater towards after the 1960s, and especially after the early 2000s with worker equality. The other beers, mind you, are not much better. Japan has some good micro brews like Baird, Swan Lake, etc; but far too few and very expensive due to the tax, importing of ingredients, protectionism of crap companies like Asahi, etc.

Long story short, save the 200 yen if you're here and buy something good, like tea or something used at BookOff. (1,642 characters)

3.86/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev n/a

2.96/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I wasn't too sure where to place this lager but I guess it's close to European dark. The can has "karakuchi" written on it which according to Wikipedia means "fully attenuated" or "dry beer".

A: As dark ruby as can be without being black. Initially a good off-white head.

S: Dark malts and a rubber/straw odour I associate with certain hefeweizens.

T: Dry, cardboard and a touch of ginger. Some lemony citrus in the aftertaste. Overall pretty hollow.

M: Light and a touch frothy.

O: Er, no. It seems this drink may only be available in East Asia. It wouldn't win over any discerning beer drinkers on the other side of the world. Certainly not the best Japan has to offer. (686 characters)

3.34/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Poured from a 33cL can into a glass near Haiki.
3.75/3.5/3.25/3.75/3
A finger of dark head. Opaque. Smells like ginger and sour lager. It tastes alright! Largely sweet, with a chocolatey body; carbonated and lightly bitter on the endtaste. (240 characters)

3.54/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2.17/5  rDev n/a

ASAHI!!! Surprisingly this is my first Asahi review, yes I’ve had their average-versus-all-the-other-average-Japanese-Lagers Super Dry Lager, but I’ve never gotten around to reviewing it... probably because it’s so average... it should be called “Asahi Average Dry Lager” but I guess that doesn’t have the marketing cachet of “Super Dry”... in any case I’m preparing myself for another average Asahi experience, this time I’m taking notes.

Poured from the odd-sized 334ml bottle into a pokal.

A: Black (deep ruby like a Guinness when you shine a torch through it) body with a beige 1cm head that sticks around well. It comes as advertised then Mr. Asahi [insert Japanese bow here]. 8/10.

S: It has that off barley/wheat grain aroma that I’ve encountered MANY times before in Australian macro Lagers... off-putting actually... with hints of sweet malt and roasted barley but naught much else. Colour me disappointed then. 4/10.

T: Wow, this is really quite bad - upfront stale grain/bread characters followed by a soapy chemical flavour, slight sweet malts, and yet more grain. Finish is a mild sour funk with hints of hop bitterness. For the first time in a long while I’m considering the drain for this brew... I’ll persevere for my readers but boy is this ‘orrible. 4/10.

M: Watery almost light body with an almost flat carbonation. 5/10.

D: This is one terrible brew with no real redeeming features - for a moment I questioned if I was being overly harsh on Asahi Dry Black... then I took another sip: Nope, not being harsh at all, this is crap. This is the made in Japan stuff too! I know Japan brews better than this, check out Baird Beer, Hitachino Nest and Coedo Brewery if you want to taste the real Japan, this Asahi is shit. 4/10.

Food match: The flavours of this beer don’t even lend well to Sushi, at least their crisp Super Dry Lager is OK with Sushi, the only match for this brew is the kitchen sink.

NB: I did end up pouring half the bottle down the drain, lesson learned. (2,025 characters)

4.25/5  rDev n/a

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last
Asahi Dry Black from Asahi Breweries Ltd
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.