Oak Creek Amber - Oak Creek Brewing Co.

Oak Creek Amber
No picture uploaded.

Oak Creek Brewing Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

A Silver Medal Winner at the North American Brewers' Association competition. A deep- copper colored medium-bodied American amber ale. Its fresh flavor is smooth and carefully balanced with a nice mellowness and hint of caramel malt balanced by medium hop bitterness. lt is an all malt beer that is naturally carbonated.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-07-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.4/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy, dull bronze in hue with coppery and amber influences; I like the color. Small off-white head, at the apex the foam was only a half finger tall and the bubbles quickly fell to a thin, soapy cap. A thin collar lasted the entire consumption but sadly there was no lace. Overall, this is a decent looking beer.

The nose doesn’t say too much. I detect some orange rinds with a kiss of lemon zest. Faintly grainy with a weakly spicy, caramel underbelly; it’s not fruity. In fact, I’d call the nose clean. The malt bill is lacking for me to consider this a good Amber Ale, it smells more like a weak APA to me. Even though the potency is low and the bouquet isn’t all that chatty I’ll call it neutral but inviting.

The palate shows more malt than the nose indicated but the flavor profile is still far from malty. Upfront is a pleasant blast of hops, there is moderate bitterness with some very enjoyable orange and lemon zest. The hoppiness lingers into the middle. The maltiness doesn’t really develop until the end and it weakly lingers into the finish. The faint caramel flavors are nice but I need much more complexity in an Amber Ale. With that said, this is not a half bad Amber Ale but there are better examples on the market.

A tickle smaller than medium in body, moderate but natural carbonation, the mouthfeel fits this beer well.

Well, this is an easy drinking and enjoyable quaff. It is growing on me. IMO, this Amber Ale is more of a Pale Ale than anything but I could drink a few of these with a juicy burger. On a hot AZ day I bet this would be a winner. I need to thank my Aunt Kathy and Uncle Rick; they sent me this beer from AZ. Recommended.

2.3/5  rDev -26%

12 oz brown bottle, served in a stein

Pours a brownish amber color, which really isn't all that attractive. The head builds to a thin layer of foam that dissipates quickly. Nothing at all to be excited about in the looks department.

Smell is just beyond uninteresting and into the realm of unpleasent. It's mainly an overcooked corn smell with some strange underlying sweetness. I didn't find it aluring at all.

I didn't let that stop me, though. Unfortunately, the taste followed suit. Except now it was far more of a strange sweetened butter taste, like the stuff they put on kettle corn. Add that to the corn tastes and smells and it's really a rather strange experience...and not one that I like.

Mouthfeel is very average. A bit watery, with some fizz. Nothing great.

The only real reason I would buy this again is because it is consistenty cheap at most of the local grocery stores. But then again, so are beers like Full Sail Amber Ale, or even Stone's Levitation at Trader Joe's, both of which are FAR better choices, in my opinion.

2.73/5  rDev -12.2%

The beer pours a clear dark amber color, large head and tons of lace. The nose is malt, sweet, and buttery, grainy. Start is malt and a bit sweet, the top skinny, the finish, clean and crisp, pertinently hopped, pleasantly acidic. The beer overall is a tad to sweet for my liking, fairly drinkable nonetheless, a “Session” beer maybe.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Oak Creek Amber from Oak Creek Brewing Co.