1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Oak Creek Gold Lager - Oak Creek Brewing Co.

Oak Creek Gold Lager
No picture uploaded.

Oak Creek Brewing Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

A Gold Medal Winner in the North American Brewers' Association competition, this richly gold-colored Bohemian Pilsner style beer begins fresh and malty with a good hop-malt balance and a dense, white rocky head of foam. It maintains its zest and balance of hops and malt from start to finish. lt is a cold lagered, naturally carbonated all-malt beer.

(Beer added by: Gusler on 12-05-2002)
3.8/5  rDev +19.5%

Pecan, Dec 20, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +17.9%

59rockabilly, Nov 22, 2012
2.73/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I spent the week in Sedona Arizona and tried the Oak Creek brews both at the brewery itself as well as at a lot of the other local places. I had this as part of a sampling as well as on draft at a restaurant.

Pretty much what you would expect from this type of beer. very light in color, light on taste, not very interesting at all. The worst is when it's part of a six beer sampler. Just about everything from them is better.

david18, Nov 14, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +25.2%

It was a nice, soft translucent gold color with an excellent head and great carbonation. The way they brew their beers at the grill, known as "spunding," is meant to create finer bubbles for a smoother taste, and it works deliciously. The beer carries a very light, clean, grassy scent with a complete lack of hops or any bitterness, which also carried over to the flavor. It was much more malty and slightly sweet in my mouth than under my nose, with a little bit of caramel and honey hiding in the undertones.

The Gold Lager was extremely smooth and crisp with a dry mouthfeel afterwards, leaving barely any aftertaste. It is considered a medium body and keeps everything together perfectly. It may be seen as a simpler beer, but it was a great companion to my beer-battered fish and seasoned waffle fries, allowing room for me to taste my food rather than try to clean my palate afterward.

I wish I had more to say about this brew, but the fact of the matter is that it is a wonderfully simple beer with a great, easy combination of flavors and scents. Delicious with fish or lighter appetizers, but I'm sure in the hot Arizona summers, it would fit with anything and even be able to hold its own when enjoyed by itself. Yes, yes and yes! Keep up the awesome work, Oak Creek, I can't wait to come back and visit for another taste.

Lucklys, Oct 25, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

clear golden orange pour with a vigorous white head which fades to a film. (my glass was too clean so the head didn't stick around!)

this smells very dry... citrus, strawberries (yep!), grass, light yeast and subtly toasted grains.

the palate is crisp with a clean finish. the flavor shares the aroma's profile... green strawberries, lemon, grain and grassy hops. there's no lingering aftertaste and absolutely nothing 'off'. the medium body is smooth and contains the perfect amount of crisp carbonation.

great session beer... i drank this all day! 6/3/6/3/16/3.4

hellbilly, Jan 20, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +21.1%

Very lightly hazy, gold in hue with a kiss of bronze; at least the color isn’t sickly and pale. White head; one finger tall but it quickly faded to a soapy cap. In other words, the head retention was poor. There was no subsequent lacing. Overall, the appearance is pleasant but fairly boring.

The nose doesn’t smell like a “Macro Lager.” It is clean with a faint biscuit maltiness and not much else. I couldn’t find the hops. Low potency; not too chatty but this, IMO, is clearly *not* a macro lager. It is more like a Blonde Ale that thinks it’s a lager. No, it reminds me of a Helles. I like it, sure it is simple but it is suppose to be.

Okay, this is not a macro lager now that I’ve tasted it. If this isn’t all-malt then bravo! Clean with some soft biscuit malt, hints of honey, with faint caramel sweetness at the end. The hops add a kiss of spiciness and earth. This tastes like a Helles to me, maybe a malty Pils. I like it. While not complex it does deliver everything I’d want in a beer to drink in AZ heat. The aftertaste is a weak mix of biscuits, fruitiness, and caramel; overall it is fairly dry… clean. It is refreshing. Quite likeable.

Medium in body, moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel fits the flavor profile very well. I think this beer would be good with spicy food, even fish, burgers, or a salad. It seems rather versatile.

Plenty drinkable; I bet this beer would be killer on a hot AZ day. However, it is really good enough to drink any time. After I formed my opinion I checked out both websites for both breweries (?) (brewpubs?). Anyway, it seems this beer is a Pilsner. And it is All-Malt. I am confused as to where I should review this beer. From the bottle all I can tell is it is 4.5% abv by “Oak Creek Brewing Co.” from Sedona, AZ. Whatever it is, wherever it is from it is tasty. I need to thank my Aunt Kathy and Uncle Rick; they sent me this beer from AZ. Recommended.

bditty187, Mar 17, 2006
3.8/5  rDev +19.5%

Pours a brilliantly clear rich gold, almost too copper, color and is topped by a frothy light tan colored head. The aroma is lightly spicy in a hoppy way and has notes of warm toasted malt biscuits underneath the hop notes. The taste is dry and spritzy up front, but then moves to a lightly sweet pale maltiness, with some toasty malt notes, that is accented by a spicy note of lemony hops. This beer has a solid bite in the finish that is a mix of carbonation and hop bitterness. This beer is a pleasant surprise, it is quite well made and I really like the good mix between spicy/ lemony hop notes and simple yet evident malt character. This beer is a perfect pre-dinner beer on a hot Tucson summer day.

Gueuzedude, Jun 12, 2005

Pours a nice translucent light straw or gold color with a masterful white head and fine sheets of lace that cling like glue to the glass. The nose largely malt, and clean and fresh aroma, the sign of a good lager. Begins malt and a tad sweet, top a bit skinny, the finish has a purposeful hop spicy bite, pertinently carbonated, malt dry aftertaste. A good session during the summer here in Arizona, but I’d rather have a “Pullman Porter”.

Gusler, Dec 05, 2002
Oak Creek Gold Lager from Oak Creek Brewing Co.