Wittekerke Rosé - De Brabandere

Wittekerke RoséWittekerke Rosé

poor

De Brabandere visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.30% ABV

(Beer added by: GreenCard on 06-30-2004)
Reviews by chOAKbarrell:
3.3/5  rDev +26.9%

Just like soda. With alcohol. If you like that "Sparks" malt beverage that comes in a can and has a guy eating a lightning bolt on the label, you'll like this beer. The artifical raspberry flavor is reminiscent of Lindeman's framboise, but on the whole this drink is lighter, fizzier, spritzier. With the new packaging in a Red Bull sized 8oz can, and the pink colors, its very obvious what crowd this beer is marketed to. The best thing about this is you can seriously POUND it. Wittekerke Rosé goes down so easily and is so light I'm sure I could handle a pitcher of it. But I like sweet drinks so that would be easy for me. This is what it is, (an artifically flavored malt beverage) so dont have super high expectations of an authentic Belgian whit, and dont compare it to such, and then you will enjoy Rosé just fine.

chOAKbarrell, Sep 18, 2006
2.3/5  rDev -11.5%

Appearance – Well, it’s pink all right. It’s actually a thick, kind of rad looking pink with a decent white head.

Smell – The strawberry smell is there, but it’s kind of like that stale aroma that you get when you find a strawberry lollipop that’s been sitting out in the garage on the floor for six months.

Taste – Hey, tastes like the strawberry garage lollipop, too.

Mouthfeel – This is light-bodied with some decent carbonation.

Sinkability – Is Bavik really in Belgium?

RoyalT, Nov 13, 2005
2.23/5  rDev -14.2%

Labeled Wittekerke Framboise, but this has to be the infamous fruity pink. I was saddened to learn that this has a portion of Petrus Aged Pale blended into this beer. I can't believe it. It's a dirty pink color. This beer should be called aspartame 101. The aroma is vaguely of a bottom-shelf raspberry liqueur. Sweetener and fizzy diet raspberry tea taste. Eddie Vedder said it best when he cried out in the song Black: WHY?

brownbeer, Jun 05, 2010
1.95/5  rDev -25%

This beer was consumed at Brixies in Brookfield Il. A female friend of mine went to order a bottle of Duchesse de Bourgogne, found out they were out, and mistakenly let the bartender convince her that this beer was similar in taste. When she couldn't drink much of it, I decided to drink it as I rarely get the chance to review a beer I wouldn't order for myself and thought it would be a good exercise in taste.

It was poured from the bottle into a pretty cool frosted glass Wittekerke glass; possibly the best thing about this beer. It pours an almost unnatural rosy/pink with a bright white head.

The smell is of completely sweet raspberries, the smell is right on the border between whether its just backsweetened natural fruit or a sickly artificial flavoring but in my mind the artificial fruit is winning.

I know the side of the bottle was labeled something to the effect of 'Adult Malt Beverage' but I didn't expect to be tasting something to the effect of Raspberry Smirnoff Ice. It is very similar to a raspberry iced tea and doesn't have any beer-like qualities. I've had plenty of fruit flavored beer and even the most artificial flavored ones I could at least find the beer behind the flavoring, not in this one.

To me the beer wasn't that carbonated and added to my allusion to raspberry iced tea, it was also as thin as water but at the same time it was as drinkable as it too.

Now that I'm at home and can look up the beer I can see by the marketing on the website who this beer is targeted to, 8-12 year old European girls. They achieve their goal of a beverage for prepubescent teens but has as much of a beer merit as any Smirnoff Ice flavor. The beer glass was pretty cool though.

weatherdog, May 04, 2010
2.55/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Girlie beer in a girlie can, with a girlie, perfume smell and a sweet sweet jolt of flavor. Pours orangy melon, cloudy, with a thick and perfumed off white head. Leaves decent lacing. The real story here is the super sweet and candied nature of this "beer". The nastiest part is the artificial color and sweeteners, whats up wid dat?? Might be ok with a fruity dessert, otherwise pass it by or serve it to girlie newbies.

Billolick, Sep 24, 2005
2.75/5  rDev +5.8%

bpfrush, Nov 16, 2011
2.35/5  rDev -9.6%

As my friend ordered this one on draft at Mad Mex Robinson the other night, the bar gave him a Brokeback cheer as he was eating his San Francisco wings. Anyway it was late and the combonation of food and beer pairings was definitely a bit Brokeback. Appears pink ruby red with an light pink thin head leaves thin lacing down the 12oz. chalice. Aroma is sugary raspberry not touch of citrus not really any spicing going on maybe some yeast tones there that's about it sugary sweet raspberry. Taste is sickeningly sweet not something to have in number a novelty beer by all means, it was syrupy coated raspberry no sweetness tasted like juice with added high fructose corn syrup. Not very spicy or coriander just sweetness, dessert candy like. Mouthfeel is spritzy lighter bodied not very entertaining to the palate. Drinkability is heart greatly by the amount of sweetness try once and move on and if you have a sweet tooth you may come back to it. You honestly give up a fraction of your manhood when sampling the Rose'.

WVbeergeek, Feb 01, 2006
3.05/5  rDev +17.3%

A - Pours a hazy pink body with a white foamy head. Has huge bubbly lace and the retention was great!

S - Has a huge raspberry scent and vaguely some yeast. It smells like a raspberry syrup (the one you mix with water).

T - This is lemonade, very sweet from the start with raspberries of course. To sweet for me. Could have been nice, but this is for kids. The sweetness and raspberry flavor kills any other hints within the beer itself. If someone would have said that it was raspberry 7-up, I would have believed it.

M - Medium carbonation and light in body.

O - Could have bene nice, but this is for kids. A bit more hops would have helped this beer and maybe a bit more sourness too.

Mar02x, Sep 25, 2011
3.05/5  rDev +17.3%

I found this stuff at Whole Foods and picked some up for my wife.

A - This came packaged in a plastic wrapped six pack of tiny 8.4 ounce cans that look like women's hairspray or deodorant. I must say, the girly package is one reason I grabbed this for my boo. It looks like they are trying to appeal to young women for sure. The beer itself is a really turbid and cloudy pink-orange... like freshly squeezed grapefruit juice. The head stands at about a finger of white foam, but looks a little flimsy and doesn't stick around long. Some spotty lace is left on the glass. Lots of pink chunks are floating around in the pinky murk. This is a cool looking beer!

S - Fresh strawberries, strawberry pound cake, and strawberry candy stand out amongst tangy wheat notes and Strawberry and Cherry flavored Fun Dip or Pixie Sticks. Obviously fruity, this retains some good beer notes unlike some other fruit beers.

T - Sour-pucker strawberry and tangy lemon wheat flavors. This is as sour as some lambics, and without knowing I probably would have guessed that this was a lambic in a blind taste test. Oohh weee. I mean this is SOUR. I like it!

M - Light bodied, extremely acidic, and extremely sour! Carbonation is less that I expected, making this a beer feeling beer than some "alcopop" style girly beers. This is neutral on the finish, and leaves tart fruit acidic flavors on the tongue ater swallowing.

D - Probably one of the best non-lambic fruit beers around. This has big and bold sour and tart fruit flavors, and is minimally sweet. Damn good stuff for something that comes in a tiny 8 oz bottle that looks like it belongs in a hair salon product shelf.

pmcadamis, Dec 05, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +66.5%

pours a very lively off-white head with bruised apricot pinkish hue...big sudsy lacing slabs eventually slide back down to the surface.

yeasty nose with the expected fruity, raspberry note.

taste comes across much sweeter than expected, but surprising not in any cloying, syrupy way. rather refreshing and light and not as tart as i also expected making this more enjoyable. a dry finish that allows a hint of sweet-tartness to fade a bit slower. not complicated but complex enough to be enjoyed as a session fruit ale...good to drink one of these with other light brews for variety or even mixing. good alone but i imagine pairs well with alot of things. and all-seasons brew. i like it better than Timmerman's.

mempath, Dec 25, 2010
3.18/5  rDev +22.3%

Pinkish orange body. Pinkish head. Average retention; minor lacing. Sweet and tart raspberry nose and flavor. Next to no bitterness as appropriate. Finishes short and fruity. The aspartame is oddly noticeable, and I think that detracts from the flavor (I even drink diet soda). Refreshing. Clearly a beer produced and marketed to the younger dance-club crowd. Kudos to Bavik for trying to hold their share of the market, but I'll pass on this one myself.

NeroFiddled, Nov 12, 2006

Ciocanelu, Jul 30, 2014
2.17/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a cloudy peach color, with a two finger head. Pretty good retention actually.

Smells like grapefruit candy with some hints of raspberry. Like a Jolly Rancher.

Taste is really sweet. Like Lindeman's lambic. Definite strong artificial raspberry flavor above all. Buried underneath is just the slightest taste of Wittekerke, but it is almost non-existant.

Mouthfeel is similar to Wittekerke but maybe slightly grainier.

Not very drinkable for me at all, in fact I may struggle to finish this 8 ounce can. Actually it is suprisingly thirst quenching, but I cant get over the artificial flavor enough to drink another. However if you like flavored malt beverages this may be for you.

BeerAmbassador, Jul 12, 2006
1.53/5  rDev -41.2%

In one word: NO! I will not buy this again.
It smells like the stuff I used to drink when I was a wee boy. Those fruity vitamin tablets that dissolve in water.
They where ok for children, BUT you don't give a taste like that to a beer. Artificial citrus and berries.
Poured into a chalice, gave a pink head for a few seconds. It has a lot of carbonation, the only thing that makes this beer come alive. Not the taste that's for sure.
The colour is foggy pink.
The aftertaste cries added artificial sugars and flavourings. Maybe it used to taste like dead pigeon and they covered it up.
It pours down quite easy, but it doesn’t give me any satisfaction. It’s just lemonade with alcohol. (I’m going to start calling them womanisers).
Try better next time, I would say. A tip would be not to call your beer after a television soap.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat!

Bierschenker, Jun 24, 2005
1.63/5  rDev -37.3%

Poured this monstrosity from a 250ml can into my Chouffe N'ice goblet. Hadn't ever seen this one before, and hope to never see it again. Very cloudy, pink color (much like Bud Chelada). Big sea foam froth, thin film after a couple minutes. Smells like powdered raspberry vitamin packet. A lot of fake sweetness on the nose. Funky. On the mouth, verrry sweet. Fake raspberry vitamin (Flinstone's Kids?), alcohol. I read the ingredients. Saccharin. Nice. Now I have cancer. Mouth is very grainy, sudsy. One of the worst beers I've come across.

WestValleyIPA, Sep 17, 2011
2.8/5  rDev +7.7%

A hazy orange pink colour with a big pink-hued head. Fairly good retention and lacing.

Smells of raspberries with a hint of tartness. And that is really all I can say about the smell. Smells alright, just one dimensional.

Like raspberry pop. Oversweetened and without much notable beer character. Doesn't taste bad but I wanted a fruit beer not a fruit soda.

Mouthfeel is fairly fizzy and light, not bad but doesn't help with the soda impression.

Easy enough to drink, but not what I want in a fruit beer. For sweet drink fans only.

elricorico, Jan 21, 2009

GRG1313, May 28, 2012
3.3/5  rDev +26.9%

A- Pinkish brown, white head that dissipates quickly

S- Raspberries with a notable malty underbody

T- Raspberries again, less noticeable, tart, malt still here

M- Light, heavy on the carbonation but not too much

D- The interplay of carbonation and the maltiness is a nice balance

aepb1, Sep 10, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +46.2%

Poured from a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy brownish color with pink hues and a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of sweet raspberries, nothing else. Taste is also dominated by raspberries, sweet up front then becoming a tad sour. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall if you are looking for something sweet and fruity this would do the trick. Otherwise avoid it.

tone77, Mar 05, 2011

Diomede, Nov 27, 2011
1.13/5  rDev -56.5%

Red-Bull type can, looks kind of fruity.

Pours out of the can a ruby red grapefruit color with a fluffy pinkish head that dies quickly.

Soda pop type lacing.

Aroma is fruity, and dirty. a little sour.

Flavor is sour fruit backed up by a sweet diet soda flavor, raspberry bite is noted on the sides of the tounge in the finish. Could not finish the beer. Awful.

I don’t know what kind of market they are shooting for, but if it’s the diet soda drinker that’s looking for that crappy taste in the mouth, but still gives me a very slight buzz, they might have found it. Otherwise stay away

Padron4KM, Jul 02, 2005
2.73/5  rDev +5%

Bottle: Poured a clear light pinkish color ale with a medium size foamy head with good retention and average lacing. Aroma of raspberry syrup with light tart notes. Taste is quite sweet though not overly with some syrupy raspberries and a very faint tart finish. Not as bad as expected or as bad as other Belgian fruit beers but not the greatest drink ever.

Phyl21ca, Jul 26, 2009
2.4/5  rDev -7.7%

11.2 oz can purchased at Hollingshead Deli in Orange, CA. in ealry April, 2006 for $1.49.

I just had to get this- how could one not try the latest beerpop. My last try was Florisgaarden Cactus, and it was downright awful. this would have to sink to get that low.

Pours a slightly murky pink, with a fizzy off-white head that disappears quickly. Nose of raspberry syrup, slightly sour. Flavor is very soda pop like, much as a Lindemann's Framboise that's thinned down dramatically and carbonated. Lord it's not good. But my fiancee points out that it is OK for when you really don't want a beer. I personally don't know when that might be, but I'll take her word for it.

I won't be back to Club Rose.

Dukeofearl, Apr 15, 2006
1.7/5  rDev -34.6%

This is not a beer I'd pick up myself, but having fixed a CB radio (trucker hottie! OK, it's used in an RV...) the owner gave me some fine brews along with this one. It pours cloudy reddish pink in my kriek Belle-Vue bolleke, with a white head of a centimeter that slowly disappears. The smell is nicely raspberryish, which considering the amount of raspberry juice (10%) is hardly surprising. But then the taste! Overly, almost sickly sweet with a pronounced aspartame aftertaste. This is criminal! I'd never thought I'd give this low a rating for the taste. Even my own raspberry lemonade is less sweet than this. And doesn't have that bitter yucky artificial sweetener taste lingering in my mouth. I won't have this beer anymore, not even for a substantial bribe. Definitely not in the target audience...

Regenpak, May 21, 2009
1.33/5  rDev -48.8%

Damn... I hate being a ticker sometime. Found this at the COOP today... ehhh.... I know what I'm getting myself into... but oh well.. crap.

Pours with a lite tan head with a definite but lite pink twinge... the brew is orange but again, a light pink twinge... I have hope!!

I haven't had Jello in 20+ years, but the nose is unmistakably Raspberry Jello. Nothing else.

Flavor is Raspberry Jello mixed with some really artificial background flavors that I can't really describe... but I will try!! I don't know what Antifreeze tastes like, but if it was "pink", this would be it. Fruity and chemical.. teeth stripping sugars... fake.. fake.... fake... God.. this is horrible... the only reason to keep drinking it is just to punish me for going against my better judgment.

Thick and carbonated like a Mexican Coke.. I need my teeth cleaned.

Fucking horrible ... I'm done destroying my palate.. this is disgusting.

3.5/1.5/1/2/1

Edit: I see some reviews mention "Aspartame".. thank GOD my bottle was the "natural" variety. Why would anybody buy this more than once when there are alcopops that actually taste okay? And more, why would ANY brewer make this shit? And for anybody who has bought this more than once, here is some advice that will save you a ton of cash, buy a handle of the cheapest vodka out there and mix it with the cheapest juice you can find, shake well with ice and it will be 1000% better than this. I already brushed once AND had a taco, and I can definitely still taste it.. Jesus... nasty.

JohnGalt1, Aug 08, 2010