Wittekerke Rosé - De Brabandere

Wittekerke RoséWittekerke Rosé

poor

De Brabandere visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.30% ABV

(Beer added by: GreenCard on 06-30-2004)
View: Beers (32) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Kopfschuss

Oregon

08-18-2013 03:24:46 | More by Kopfschuss
Padron4KM

Arizona

1.13/5  rDev -56.4%

Red-Bull type can, looks kind of fruity.

Pours out of the can a ruby red grapefruit color with a fluffy pinkish head that dies quickly.

Soda pop type lacing.

Aroma is fruity, and dirty. a little sour.

Flavor is sour fruit backed up by a sweet diet soda flavor, raspberry bite is noted on the sides of the tounge in the finish. Could not finish the beer. Awful.

I don’t know what kind of market they are shooting for, but if it’s the diet soda drinker that’s looking for that crappy taste in the mouth, but still gives me a very slight buzz, they might have found it. Otherwise stay away

07-02-2005 07:35:48 | More by Padron4KM
granger10

Wisconsin

1.18/5  rDev -54.4%

Flourescent pink color with a fizzy white head which maintains decently. A bit of lacing. Smells like fruit syrup but stronger on the fruits than the syrup. Like really sweet fruit. Taste is ridiculously sweet. There's fruit in there but its really, really fake tasting. So much sugar my teeth are rotting with each sip. Thinner body. Like eating sugar with a bit of fake fruit syrup. This would be too sweet for girls. Unbelievably bad.

05-16-2006 02:03:26 | More by granger10
crossovert

1.3/5  rDev -49.8%

Dinky 8.4 oz can. "Brewed with artificial sweetener". Oops.

Pours into my glass with a pink grapefruit color with a bit of haze and a pure white head.

The smell is like diet raspberry soda.

It tastes like diet raspberry soda, not like beer. Awful really.

It has a decent mouthfeel. Drinkability is bad.

Is this beer?

02-22-2010 04:45:19 | More by crossovert
JohnGalt1

Idaho

1.33/5  rDev -48.6%

Damn... I hate being a ticker sometime. Found this at the COOP today... ehhh.... I know what I'm getting myself into... but oh well.. crap.

Pours with a lite tan head with a definite but lite pink twinge... the brew is orange but again, a light pink twinge... I have hope!!

I haven't had Jello in 20+ years, but the nose is unmistakably Raspberry Jello. Nothing else.

Flavor is Raspberry Jello mixed with some really artificial background flavors that I can't really describe... but I will try!! I don't know what Antifreeze tastes like, but if it was "pink", this would be it. Fruity and chemical.. teeth stripping sugars... fake.. fake.... fake... God.. this is horrible... the only reason to keep drinking it is just to punish me for going against my better judgment.

Thick and carbonated like a Mexican Coke.. I need my teeth cleaned.

Fucking horrible ... I'm done destroying my palate.. this is disgusting.

3.5/1.5/1/2/1

Edit: I see some reviews mention "Aspartame".. thank GOD my bottle was the "natural" variety. Why would anybody buy this more than once when there are alcopops that actually taste okay? And more, why would ANY brewer make this shit? And for anybody who has bought this more than once, here is some advice that will save you a ton of cash, buy a handle of the cheapest vodka out there and mix it with the cheapest juice you can find, shake well with ice and it will be 1000% better than this. I already brushed once AND had a taco, and I can definitely still taste it.. Jesus... nasty.

08-08-2010 09:14:17 | More by JohnGalt1
kojevergas

1.35/5  rDev -47.9%

Bottle served into a La Chouffe tulip. Reviewed from notes taken July 2010. 4.3% ABV confirmed.

A: Pours a two finger head of slight cream and fair thickness. Retention is average. Body colour is a solid light red.

Sm: Artificial raspberry, an overload of sugar, and syrup. An unfortunately quite strong aroma.

T: Tastes like artificial crap raspberry, cultist suicide style koolaid (just drink it!), and overloaded garbage sugar and nasty syrup. Cough! Not really a true beer at all. I'm embarrassed to be seen drinking this. simply crap. Poorly built and balanced, with no redeemable characteristics. The finish is a sort of dying sugar-high stale note. Cough syrup comes through.

Mf: Very smooth and wet. Helps the disgusting flavours slide down.

Dr: 1.50 euro is high considering the pathetic state of the taste. Not a worthy beer at all. This is a damned embarrassment. Avoid at all costs.

F

**I just want to point out that this was terrible but I did not drainpour it. I finished it because I'm not a panzy. Remember: there are sober kids in India; nut up and finish your damn beer.

12-05-2012 21:37:08 | More by kojevergas
putnam

1.35/5  rDev -47.9%

Another not-beer. This one has artificial flavor AND artifical sweetener. This "beer" contains aspartame ... Nutrisweet! It is raspberry soda that steals honest-to-goodness wholesome alcohol from beer. Shame! The beer wants its alcohol back. Awful, slippery, chemical sweetness pervades this pastel, pink rose-colored drink. Artificial raspberry flavor and pure, hard candy sugar sweetness define the flavors. There is little else. A faint bready yeastiness is trivialized by the confection.

This is not beer.

I have a headache now.

06-20-2005 20:36:13 | More by putnam
GreenCard

Oregon

1.43/5  rDev -44.8%

Tasted this one at Bierpassie Weekend 2004. Brand new beer on the market and what a total disappointment! I'm really big fan of Wittekerke Wit, so this was a bit of a let-down. Now, I wasn't expecting too much from it, but even considering that it wasn't a positive experience.

The aroma is rife with nondescript fruit extract. Strawberry? Raspberry? Underneath this, there is a hint of the base beer (wit). The flavor is sickly sweet and hits you with a big aftertaste of saccharine. Fruit here too, but I still am no closer to discerning which berries they are exactly. I suppose I could look it up, but why bother? The finish is sweet, of course, with a long-lingering diet-drink slimyness.

Don't bother with this one...

06-30-2004 19:11:01 | More by GreenCard
jmgault1

1.5/5  rDev -42.1%

05-05-2013 22:58:30 | More by jmgault1
Bierschenker

1.53/5  rDev -40.9%

In one word: NO! I will not buy this again.
It smells like the stuff I used to drink when I was a wee boy. Those fruity vitamin tablets that dissolve in water.
They where ok for children, BUT you don't give a taste like that to a beer. Artificial citrus and berries.
Poured into a chalice, gave a pink head for a few seconds. It has a lot of carbonation, the only thing that makes this beer come alive. Not the taste that's for sure.
The colour is foggy pink.
The aftertaste cries added artificial sugars and flavourings. Maybe it used to taste like dead pigeon and they covered it up.
It pours down quite easy, but it doesn’t give me any satisfaction. It’s just lemonade with alcohol. (I’m going to start calling them womanisers).
Try better next time, I would say. A tip would be not to call your beer after a television soap.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat!

06-24-2005 22:35:00 | More by Bierschenker
bearish

Singapore

1.53/5  rDev -40.9%

Poured a 250ml bottle into a small tasting serving to try out this beer.

Poured a nice pink, head was decent. I think this may be quite an interesting find considering the experience I had with the Wittekerke Wit.

Smells artificially sweet, sour of raspberry, and a little ale sourness. The wheat character still a little evident, but hard to detect.

Had a mouthful. SHOCK. Raspberries very evident. Ale evident. Most evident - artificial sweetener. It's like... A coke light. The artificial syrupy Equal taste that you can find in light versions of sodas.

Can tell that this will probably sell very well with the ladies, but does not score a point on my side. Others may like it because of the marketing, pink everything. But not for me. Will stick to the wit.

05-16-2011 16:25:43 | More by bearish
CAMRAhardliner

Ontario (Canada)

1.53/5  rDev -40.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours an artificial looking pink/orange color with a fizzy head that actually lasts a good while. The smell is of sour cherries, sherbert and a faint chemical note that reminds me of aerosol hairspray. The taste is very sweet, cloyingly so. Raspberry juice mixes with a grotesque aspartame flavor. This is as much a diet soda as a beer, or even moreso. The mouthfeel is thin and unpleasant from the extreme sweetness. The finish is filled with aspartame.

This is a trainwreck of a beer. I hate aspartame and it abounds in this one. Pass vociferously.

09-03-2009 03:53:28 | More by CAMRAhardliner
Zorro

1.58/5  rDev -39%

OK what can you say about a beer that you fear could turn you gay just from the looks of the can? The only reason I am giving this a try is that it is a Wittekerke beer.

Pours a cloudy off pink colored beer with a slightly pink white head.

Smell is sharply sour with jolly rancher raspberry candy like scent. The sharp sour scent does remind me a bit of a Framboise lambic so I can't completely trash the scent.

Taste is sharply sweet and sour like an over sweetened lambic. Fairly pronounced raspberry flavor that again reminds me of a Lindemans raspberry lambic only not nearly as pleasant.

Mouthfeel is light.

Not a real drinkable brew. After drinking half the glass and I feel like I should get a medal of Valor or something for getting that far. Drain pour don't waste your money on this.

11-06-2005 04:55:18 | More by Zorro
WestValleyIPA

1.63/5  rDev -37.1%

Poured this monstrosity from a 250ml can into my Chouffe N'ice goblet. Hadn't ever seen this one before, and hope to never see it again. Very cloudy, pink color (much like Bud Chelada). Big sea foam froth, thin film after a couple minutes. Smells like powdered raspberry vitamin packet. A lot of fake sweetness on the nose. Funky. On the mouth, verrry sweet. Fake raspberry vitamin (Flinstone's Kids?), alcohol. I read the ingredients. Saccharin. Nice. Now I have cancer. Mouth is very grainy, sudsy. One of the worst beers I've come across.

09-17-2011 05:08:39 | More by WestValleyIPA
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

1.68/5  rDev -35.1%

Poured from an 8.4oz can into a pilsener glass.

A: The beer is a pale pink color, with a short white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is full of sweet and sour raspberries but not much of anything else.

T: The taste is very tart with a strong raspberry flavor and some spices. There doesn’t seem to be much in the way beer qualities in the taste, however. There’s a very light malt character, no hops, can’t taste much Belgian yeast either.

M: Crisp but not too smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is dry.

D: Not tasty at all unless you’re really into the raspberry flavor, not filling at all which I believe is it’s only good quality, mild kick, yet another novelty fruit beer that just doesn’t have anything going for it.

11-22-2007 04:52:05 | More by TheManiacalOne
Regenpak

Netherlands

1.7/5  rDev -34.4%

This is not a beer I'd pick up myself, but having fixed a CB radio (trucker hottie! OK, it's used in an RV...) the owner gave me some fine brews along with this one. It pours cloudy reddish pink in my kriek Belle-Vue bolleke, with a white head of a centimeter that slowly disappears. The smell is nicely raspberryish, which considering the amount of raspberry juice (10%) is hardly surprising. But then the taste! Overly, almost sickly sweet with a pronounced aspartame aftertaste. This is criminal! I'd never thought I'd give this low a rating for the taste. Even my own raspberry lemonade is less sweet than this. And doesn't have that bitter yucky artificial sweetener taste lingering in my mouth. I won't have this beer anymore, not even for a substantial bribe. Definitely not in the target audience...

05-21-2009 14:26:11 | More by Regenpak
TheLongBeachBum

1.7/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Presentation: Sampled during a visit to the Zolder in Brugge during a recent visit on Good Friday 25th April, 2005. Our Table had one of those folded cardboard advertisements which proudly displayed and hinted at the new beers market. The shocking pink background of the display has a light blue silhouette of a naked woman’s body – with a picture of a glass of the Wittekerke Rosé next to a bottle of it. The slogan….wait for it…..”The Fruity Pink”……oh my…..I just had to try this one……

Appearance: Murky purple body with a pink head, well carbonated. Think Bavik Wit with raspberry juice added.

Nose: Syrupy raspberry juice in the front end, a dry raspberry perfume in the back.

Taste: Sweet raspberry, like the most commercial Framboise with yet more syrup added. Sickly. Fruity middle, which may not just be raspberries, reminded me of mixed berry chewy candy.

Mouthfeel: Sweet and sickly, just like the tastes.

Drinkability: A few mouthfuls really are enough!!!

Overall: Hard to write anything good about this one. I really was hoping that this would be the Witterkerke Wit with a “hint” of fresh raspberries, which I know would work well. However, it is like the Wittkerke Wit *overloaded* with massive dollops of raspberry syrup and mixed berry artificial flavoring. Disappointing, this could have been so much better, but I guess it is not aimed at me.

Hmmm……..Witterkerke Rosé…..yet another shocking product in what I call the Belgium “Beery-Pop” scene. I’ll leave it for the Belgium Yoof I think.

05-15-2005 02:56:12 | More by TheLongBeachBum
afinepilsner

Iowa

1.78/5  rDev -31.3%

8.4oz can

Wittekertke Rose was a cloudy light brown pink color with a large white head. The head was quicky reduced to a thin layer, but it did remain until the beer was gone, leaving a little lace behind. It had a sweet fruity smell, mostly raspberry and cherry. It tasted like a carbonated very cheap, flavored white zinfandel wine. The raspberry is definitely there, bit so is the sugar. The mouthfeel is thin and very carbonated. The only reason the drinkability is not a 1 is that I somehow actually managed to choke it down. Avoid this beer (if you can actually call it a beer).

09-03-2006 00:32:20 | More by afinepilsner
fisherman34

Manitoba (Canada)

1.78/5  rDev -31.3%

Dark pink in colour with strong carbonation. It also got a little cloudy one I added the yeast (obviously). Raspberry and cooked sugar aromas are overpowering to say the least. Very sweet raspberry flavor and thick body. It tasted like melted down wine gum candies. Very cloying indeed. Perhaps a good after dinner beer for someone with a massive sweet tooth, but not appealing for me. There are lots of better fruit beers out there.

03-13-2006 22:29:19 | More by fisherman34
jgasparine

Maryland

1.8/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A- Agressively poured from the can to yield a 3/4" stark-white head, which slowly receded to a sustained haze layer and some nice lacing. The body was highly carbonated and sedimented pink-orange color. Little red chunks were observed riding the bubble trains. These red chunks appeared to be somewhat artificial, like food coloring that didn't dissolve into solution. The carbonation also seemed a bit artificial- more abundant than I would anticipate naturally if it were naturally carbonated.

S- Smells of cloyingly sweet synthesized raspberry and artificially tart citric aromas. It smells extactly like a sweet-tart candy... more like a soft drink than beer.

T- Tastes tart up-front, and a faint artificial sweetness plays second fiddle. Some bland synthesized raspberry flavor comes-in midway, and there is no finish to speak-of; once swallowed, all flavor immediately disappears from the palate.

M- Thin to medium body. Overatenuated and overcarbonated. Not impressive... but there is SOME viscocity here nonetheless. A mark below average may be generous on my part.

D- I did not enjoy this at all. I found it to be all-around underwhelming and in some ways offensive. On the other hand, my wife thoroughly enjoyied this, and finished my glass.

12-28-2009 15:44:46 | More by jgasparine
paterlodie

1.8/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Best before 28-05-05. Poors in whith a pink head and a pinkpurple beercolor that's not clear. The nose is framboise but more like lemonade so must have next to the framboisejuice also lots of arome's. Further is nose sour; nothing beerlike to be discoverd.
Taste is sweet sour and artificial framboise. Not even fresh and the sweetness is killing the last bit of taste. This can't off course give anything positive to mouthfeel and drinkabillity.

03-12-2005 10:36:25 | More by paterlodie
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

1.8/5  rDev -30.5%

Pink lemonade with an almost bronze filament. Its head is stable and fuzzy with a soft pastel pinkish hue. Lacing remains spattered, at least temporarily. Pleasantly animate bubbles tirelessly mount the upright slope of the flute glass. The light extracts unusual shades, soft pastel tones of peaches, pinks and beiges that - artificially created or not - make a stunning looking beer.

Ah man, you can taste the corn. Yuck. Each sip the palate is stormed with a short-lived but intense, dizzying barrage of sweetness that quickly evaporates and left over is nothing more than the naked, unmistakable taste of fructose (corn syrup sweetener). I had intended to mention the (pitifully artificial) taste of fruit (raspberry juice is added although it tastes a lot like fake strawberries, too) but this fructose is just too superabundant.

I'd consider it almost hypocritical for any self-respecting liquor store to sell this if they also make claims about "social responsibility" regarding the sale of alcohol to minors. Adult palates should have already outgrown this. It is supernaturally, redundantly, over-gratifyingly sweet. The taste of fruit is unmistakably synthetic. It's doubtful a drink like this would appeal to anyone other than children!

The brewery uses aspartame, which is an artificial sweetener that is something like 200 times sweeter than sugar. The motivation for its use is that, because of its supernatural sweetness, only small amounts are needed and thus its caloric contribution is basically negligible. Its use is logical if your aim is to promote a sweet tasting beer to a weight conscious demographic that is likely to avoid sugar for its excess calories...

I may fear the dreaded beer-belly but I think it would be more mindful of my health to avoid aspartame than the minimal extra calories. Not that it matters. It's obvious this beer was not marketed to someone like me. For one, it lists "beer" as the first ingredient. If "beer" is just one ingredient in a list of ingredients (rather than the only* ingredient) in your drink, then what you're drinking should not really be considered beer.

*Beer should generally have only four ingredients: water, malt, hops, yeast. I'm also excluding fruits and spices, which are often used by both innovative and reputable breweries.

07-09-2009 15:40:49 | More by biegaman
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

1.9/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Blurry coral with a pale pink cap the color of homemade strawberry ice cream. If the beer is allowed to come vigorously chugging out of the little can, the head that forms is actually of decent size and persistence. A few strands of lace manage to stick to the glass. This is an odd looking beer (dare I say that it's pretty?), but I'm bound and determined to keep an open mind.

Wittekerke Rose smells like sweetened raspberries. The nose is actually pretty appealing if one likes raspberry-infused fruit beer. Believe it or not, there's the slightest bit of yeasty, musty funk underlying the sticky fruitiness. I'm still onboard with testicles intact.

Whoa now! Who dumped an entire canister of sugar into my beer? This is, without a doubt, the sweetest, most cloying, most tooth rotting so-called beer that I've ever had. I don't hate sweet beer (even the Melbourn Bros. offerings are okay in small doses), but this one goes way, way too far. This stuff is sweeter than orange juice... orange juice to which 4-5 heaping tablespoons of sugar have been added.

At some point, when the boundaries of beer have been stretched to the breaking point, the beverage in question ceases to be beer. This is one of those cases. It'll be all I can do to finish this review. Here goes... raspberry puree choked with sugar, nothing more. Oh yeah, there's no hint of funky yeastiness or any other subtle flavors on the palate. Despite the tiny 8.4 ounce can, I can't force myself to finish it.

The mouthfeel is... wait a second...<gag, choke>... thick and syrupy and sticky and spritzy and disgusting. It's a wonder the brewers were able to get all that excess granulated sugar into solution. I half expect to feel graininess with each sip.

Despite starting off on a somewhat promising note, Wittekerke Rose falls, and falls hard, as soon as it comes into contact with the taste buds. I can't imagine any self-respecting wine cooler loving woman liking this stuff, much less a beer drinker. This 'beer' isn't fit for human consumption. And giving it to a dog would be grounds for calling the SPCA.

01-14-2006 14:45:02 | More by BuckeyeNation
Gueuzedude

Arizona

1.93/5  rDev -25.5%

Pours a reddish pink color that is fairly hazy. It is topped by a frothy pale rose colored head. The aroma is dominated by strong notes of sweet fruity raspberries with perhaps a hint of tannin and nothing else. Oh god, this thing is sickeningly sweet, and artificially so. It is like drinking a Red Bull. This is actually somewhat dry and spritzy when it first hits my tongue but the sweetness quickly dominates the palate. This is really not that drinkable, it is just too sweet and has a disagreeable artificial sweetener aftertaste. It's a drain pour.

07-18-2005 01:35:40 | More by Gueuzedude
weatherdog

1.95/5  rDev -24.7%

This beer was consumed at Brixies in Brookfield Il. A female friend of mine went to order a bottle of Duchesse de Bourgogne, found out they were out, and mistakenly let the bartender convince her that this beer was similar in taste. When she couldn't drink much of it, I decided to drink it as I rarely get the chance to review a beer I wouldn't order for myself and thought it would be a good exercise in taste.

It was poured from the bottle into a pretty cool frosted glass Wittekerke glass; possibly the best thing about this beer. It pours an almost unnatural rosy/pink with a bright white head.

The smell is of completely sweet raspberries, the smell is right on the border between whether its just backsweetened natural fruit or a sickly artificial flavoring but in my mind the artificial fruit is winning.

I know the side of the bottle was labeled something to the effect of 'Adult Malt Beverage' but I didn't expect to be tasting something to the effect of Raspberry Smirnoff Ice. It is very similar to a raspberry iced tea and doesn't have any beer-like qualities. I've had plenty of fruit flavored beer and even the most artificial flavored ones I could at least find the beer behind the flavoring, not in this one.

To me the beer wasn't that carbonated and added to my allusion to raspberry iced tea, it was also as thin as water but at the same time it was as drinkable as it too.

Now that I'm at home and can look up the beer I can see by the marketing on the website who this beer is targeted to, 8-12 year old European girls. They achieve their goal of a beverage for prepubescent teens but has as much of a beer merit as any Smirnoff Ice flavor. The beer glass was pretty cool though.

05-04-2010 03:34:34 | More by weatherdog