Wittekerke Rosé - De Brabandere

De Brabandere visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.30% ABV

Beer added by: GreenCard on 06-30-2004

3.23/5  rDev +24.7%

Seemingly a Belgian Witbier with added Raspberries, the beer takes on a softer and sweeter attitude that will surly satisfy the thirst of fruit beer fans and those with a sweet tooth.

The beer pours with a cloudy rouge/peach color and carries a dense, white, froathy head with great staying power while lots of lace is left behind.

Sweet grains, malts, and raspberries are all evident. Light aromas of tart berries and apples also rise to the forefront as the beer warms. Lightly bready and cotton candy sweetness all around. Lightly spicy notes weave in and out of the berry tartness.

Sugary flavors begin the taste profile; combined with raspberries and the beer takes on a jam-like taste. Light tartness seems all berry and little from the more desirable tartness from yeast. Mild breadiness is much less pronounced in taste than suggested in smell.

Medium weighted and creamy early, the beer fades into a sweetly-sticky feel that seems much more like soda pop than beer.

This Framboise is balanced heavily toward the sweetness and giving it a much more wine cooler affect than from the more sour-balanced of lambic versions. The Witbier allows for heavy sweetness and disrupts the soft and powdery textures of original Wittekerke. (1,239 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +59.8%

A- This beer pours a nice pinkish hue with a snow white head that laces up nicely.

S- The white head begs to to breathe deep. Smells like sweet/sour raspberries.

T- You will taste many things, mostly sweetness with a slightly sour finish. The bubbles help open your taste buds to find more subtle flavors.

M- Typical of a light summer beer. Light bodied

D- In moderation, this beer is perfect for a 2 beer session. (418 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +29.3%

Pours a hazy, deep pink color with a light pink, almost white head. In the aroma, sweet to sour raspberries. In the taste, sweet raspberry, a small sourness, kind of like Cherokee Red Pop. A small bite and light bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry, raspberry sour aftertaste. Nice small sour with dry raspberries all the way though. (330 characters)

3.34/5  rDev +29%

A- Pinkish brown, white head that dissipates quickly

S- Raspberries with a notable malty underbody

T- Raspberries again, less noticeable, tart, malt still here

M- Light, heavy on the carbonation but not too much

D- The interplay of carbonation and the maltiness is a nice balance (283 characters)

3.21/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The appearance is cloudy pink with a foamy head. The aroma is funky and sweet with a yeasty mixed berry and wheat. The flavor is like the aroma and quite sweet. The palate is thin but smooth. Overall I find this beer drinkable but not completely enjoyable. (256 characters)

1.37/5  rDev -47.1%

Damn... I hate being a ticker sometime. Found this at the COOP today... ehhh.... I know what I'm getting myself into... but oh well.. crap.

Pours with a lite tan head with a definite but lite pink twinge... the brew is orange but again, a light pink twinge... I have hope!!

I haven't had Jello in 20+ years, but the nose is unmistakably Raspberry Jello. Nothing else.

Flavor is Raspberry Jello mixed with some really artificial background flavors that I can't really describe... but I will try!! I don't know what Antifreeze tastes like, but if it was "pink", this would be it. Fruity and chemical.. teeth stripping sugars... fake.. fake.... fake... God.. this is horrible... the only reason to keep drinking it is just to punish me for going against my better judgment.

Thick and carbonated like a Mexican Coke.. I need my teeth cleaned.

Fucking horrible ... I'm done destroying my palate.. this is disgusting.

3.5/1.5/1/2/1

Edit: I see some reviews mention "Aspartame".. thank GOD my bottle was the "natural" variety. Why would anybody buy this more than once when there are alcopops that actually taste okay? And more, why would ANY brewer make this shit? And for anybody who has bought this more than once, here is some advice that will save you a ton of cash, buy a handle of the cheapest vodka out there and mix it with the cheapest juice you can find, shake well with ice and it will be 1000% better than this. I already brushed once AND had a taco, and I can definitely still taste it.. Jesus... nasty. (1,517 characters)

3.34/5  rDev +29%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

250ml bottle
4.3% ABV

Two things pop out at me right away. The label says "The fruity pink beer" and it contains "aspartame". So, a fruity pink diet beer?

I tried this 'beer' on May 29, 2009 at "Smokeless Joe's" in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The beer poured a reddish pink colour with a thin white head that stuck around. The aroma was sour raspberries and grainy malt. The mouthfeel was medium bodied and highly carbonated. The flavour was sugary sweet. It tasted very good, but not beer-like. More like what Canadians call a 'Cooler' (536 characters)

2.69/5  rDev +3.9%

Nose clear raspberry going up but more of a raspberry juice, or even a simple aroma of real fruit in their purity. Sweet, light where you feel a little wheat, but without much conviction. Even the fruit is small (no acid but no sugar) and the mouth is a bit bland. Only the presence of a bitter unsophisticated differentiates it from Hoegaarden Rose. It seems that it is made by a mixture of three brews but the complexity is far from being a synonym for this beer. (465 characters)

2.8/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

250ml bottle:

Poured a cloudy pink-gold with a rose cap.

Promising aroma: some biscuit, spice and fruit and earthy tones.

Flavor was a letdown. Fruit and sweetness predominate and obliterate any other flavours. The sweetness seems synthetic as well. I had looked forward to this one as I like Wittekerke witbier and thought this was a sort of wit cocktail with fruit and Petrus red.

....but it is simply far too sweet to define any complexity at all. (457 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -13.1%

Labeled Wittekerke Framboise, but this has to be the infamous fruity pink. I was saddened to learn that this has a portion of Petrus Aged Pale blended into this beer. I can't believe it. It's a dirty pink color. This beer should be called aspartame 101. The aroma is vaguely of a bottom-shelf raspberry liqueur. Sweetener and fizzy diet raspberry tea taste. Eddie Vedder said it best when he cried out in the song Black: WHY? (425 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -23.9%

This beer was consumed at Brixies in Brookfield Il. A female friend of mine went to order a bottle of Duchesse de Bourgogne, found out they were out, and mistakenly let the bartender convince her that this beer was similar in taste. When she couldn't drink much of it, I decided to drink it as I rarely get the chance to review a beer I wouldn't order for myself and thought it would be a good exercise in taste.

It was poured from the bottle into a pretty cool frosted glass Wittekerke glass; possibly the best thing about this beer. It pours an almost unnatural rosy/pink with a bright white head.

The smell is of completely sweet raspberries, the smell is right on the border between whether its just backsweetened natural fruit or a sickly artificial flavoring but in my mind the artificial fruit is winning.

I know the side of the bottle was labeled something to the effect of 'Adult Malt Beverage' but I didn't expect to be tasting something to the effect of Raspberry Smirnoff Ice. It is very similar to a raspberry iced tea and doesn't have any beer-like qualities. I've had plenty of fruit flavored beer and even the most artificial flavored ones I could at least find the beer behind the flavoring, not in this one.

To me the beer wasn't that carbonated and added to my allusion to raspberry iced tea, it was also as thin as water but at the same time it was as drinkable as it too.

Now that I'm at home and can look up the beer I can see by the marketing on the website who this beer is targeted to, 8-12 year old European girls. They achieve their goal of a beverage for prepubescent teens but has as much of a beer merit as any Smirnoff Ice flavor. The beer glass was pretty cool though. (1,705 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours a pinkish orange with about a finger of whitish head. Plenty of beading and carbonation is evident, resulting in plenty of head retention though not much lacing. The aroma is flagrantly artificial with a bittersweet herbal twang and light essence of raspberry. This is not a brew for the type of people who actually smell beer. Moderately sweet yet awkwardly bitter in a way that is not hoppy, like somebody put a packet of Sweet N Low in it. Syrupy raspberry-like flavor that does not quite taste like raspberries, very artificial. Flavor disappoints low expectations. Light in body but with an acceptably creamy carbonation. I purchased this out of sheer novelty and it was nothing more than that. Avoid. (712 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -10%

Thanks to AKBelgianBeast for this one. Yeah it came as a package for the loser of the LNBA FF, and I lost.

Poured into a mini hefe tasting glass.
A- Cloudy yellow with a hint of pink thrown into the beer, this gives the beer a feminine glow.The head is very white and lasts for a while. Also as far as a can appearance if your a guy and your buying this I bet you don't mind getting your prostate examined by some guy with large....fingers.

S- I can smell the raspberry smell from a distance of two feet. There is something effervescent about it too.

T- I can seriously say that I lost some man points with this one. This just tastes fake, in that flavored condom kinda way. (I'll let that last sentence simmer in your mind for a while.) There is almost a nutrasweet after taste to this one too.

M- This has a thick, yet thin feeling that I'm sure appeals to a variety of jail inmates.

D- The only way to take this beer is in the can. (940 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -10.8%

Isn't the can of Wittekerke Rosé awesome? You'd think the slender 8.4 ounce can was some kind of energy drink that donates a portion of the proceeds to breast cancer. Instead, it is a raspberry infused witbier. Did I mention the raspberry was artifical flavor? On to the beer:

Well, the color of the beer has a raspberry infused orange color to it, hazy. The head color has a pink tint to it, and it has surprisingly good head retntion and forms good patchy lace. It kind of smells like raspberries, and it's not bad at all. Maybe I was wrong about this beer...

....or maybe not. It tastes like lightly flavored cough syrup to me, which isn't the worst taste in the world, but it sure doesn't taste like beer. I can also taste a bit of iron. Come to think of it, it does kind of taste like a raspberry energy drink. It feels sticky in the mouth like one, and as a beer I prefer it didn't.

Well...I managed to get all 8.4 ounces down of this 4.3% ABV drink. It sure isn't as fun to drink as Wittekerke w/o all the added shit, but what other alcoholic beverage out there can you get for less than Red Bull, yet who's label looks like an energy drink? This must be good for drinking in public places and driving. (1,214 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -49%

Dinky 8.4 oz can. "Brewed with artificial sweetener". Oops.

Pours into my glass with a pink grapefruit color with a bit of haze and a pure white head.

The smell is like diet raspberry soda.

It tastes like diet raspberry soda, not like beer. Awful really.

It has a decent mouthfeel. Drinkability is bad.

Is this beer? (321 characters)

2.9/5  rDev +12%

Serving type: 250ml bottle, bought at the LCBO

Poured a hazy pink, with about a 2 inch foam head.
This was the first fruit beer I've tasted. It was extreamly sweet, as expected.
Tasted like one of those coolers you can buy. I really don't think they needed to add the Aspertame to it.
I guess the taste was ok if you like fruity drinks. (339 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -29%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A- Agressively poured from the can to yield a 3/4" stark-white head, which slowly receded to a sustained haze layer and some nice lacing. The body was highly carbonated and sedimented pink-orange color. Little red chunks were observed riding the bubble trains. These red chunks appeared to be somewhat artificial, like food coloring that didn't dissolve into solution. The carbonation also seemed a bit artificial- more abundant than I would anticipate naturally if it were naturally carbonated.

S- Smells of cloyingly sweet synthesized raspberry and artificially tart citric aromas. It smells extactly like a sweet-tart candy... more like a soft drink than beer.

T- Tastes tart up-front, and a faint artificial sweetness plays second fiddle. Some bland synthesized raspberry flavor comes-in midway, and there is no finish to speak-of; once swallowed, all flavor immediately disappears from the palate.

M- Thin to medium body. Overatenuated and overcarbonated. Not impressive... but there is SOME viscocity here nonetheless. A mark below average may be generous on my part.

D- I did not enjoy this at all. I found it to be all-around underwhelming and in some ways offensive. On the other hand, my wife thoroughly enjoyied this, and finished my glass. (1,255 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Hazed pink pour with a fizzy white cap. Nose of raspberry and candy, some perfume. Very sweet raspberry flavour seems fake and is accompanied with a bit of tartness and yeasty candies. Fizzy quick finish. Overly sweet for me, and not one I'll have again. (254 characters)

One of a make-your-own 6 pack of cans my parents brought back from recent trip Stateside.
250ml. Tall and thin pink can, with a flourescent yellow shadow of a long-haired, thin-waisted girl. "Belgian White Beer with Raspberries - Rose, The Fruity Pink".
Best before date stamped on bottom of can.
Hazy pink liquid topped with a lighter pink pile of foam. Low retention, some thin lace strings. The smell was full of raspberries, clean and fresh, not overly artificial. Abit of yeast aroma, but was overtaken by the fruitiness.
Lots of raspberry fruity flavor. Slightly tart finish. Bubbly, light mouthfeel, like a Fanta Cream Soda. Sweet finish, a good dessert beer, would be tough to have more than one in a sitting. (717 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours an artificial looking pink/orange color with a fizzy head that actually lasts a good while. The smell is of sour cherries, sherbert and a faint chemical note that reminds me of aerosol hairspray. The taste is very sweet, cloyingly so. Raspberry juice mixes with a grotesque aspartame flavor. This is as much a diet soda as a beer, or even moreso. The mouthfeel is thin and unpleasant from the extreme sweetness. The finish is filled with aspartame.

This is a trainwreck of a beer. I hate aspartame and it abounds in this one. Pass vociferously. (551 characters)

2.75/5  rDev +6.2%

Bottle: Poured a clear light pinkish color ale with a medium size foamy head with good retention and average lacing. Aroma of raspberry syrup with light tart notes. Taste is quite sweet though not overly with some syrupy raspberries and a very faint tart finish. Not as bad as expected or as bad as other Belgian fruit beers but not the greatest drink ever. (357 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +50.2%

My "CAN Ya Dooit?" quest took me to D's 6 Pax & Hot Dogz in Da 'Burgh, which never disappoints. I remember drinking this one with a Bosnian girlfriend when we were both undergarduates at Pitt. That is now eight years removed, so when I saw it in the Beer Cave, I jumped on the chance to have it again.

"Belgian White Beer with Raspberries - the Fruity Pink" - that was its tagline, and since I am solid in my sexuality, it does not bother me to drink such things. Plus, it was in a CAN and it was summertime when I will drink anything that is NOT Hefeweizen. The CAN looked like an early iPod ad with a lime-green female in silhouette, hair streaming behind her, against a reddish-pink background. The only thing missing was two white cords running into her ears. Okay, sorry.

My pour sreated two fingers' worth of pinkish-white head the color of blossoms on cherry trees, but with low retention. Color was a hazy light-pink like pink lemonade. The nose had a HUGE raspberry scent which instantly transported me back to Grummy Chandler's garden. Mouthfeel was full with a definite raspberry/fruity flavor, like the recent Tastykake Summerberry pies. Finish had a big fruitiness, with a slight tartness at the extreme finish. This was way too sweet to be anything more than a dessert beer or one to share with a female companion.

Beach? Only if I'm wearing a bikini! (1,368 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -15.1%

Ha! Had to read the ingredients label to find out the "pink" flavour is raspberry. Pours a mostly clear pink anyway, with fizzy white head that runs away screaming. Nose is pretty fruity, sweet berries and a bit of nondescript beeriness. Kinda floral too. Tastes like cotton candy. I'm sure I know some people who would think this is a fantastic beverage, but these would not be beer drinkers. It's not bad tasting or anything, but the beer component is really just in the abv. I would call this a "beer cooler" if anything. Nutrition label also says it contains 1.5g of fibre per bottle too, so it's good for you. (614 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -28.6%

Pink lemonade with an almost bronze filament. Its head is stable and fuzzy with a soft pastel pinkish hue. Lacing remains spattered, at least temporarily. Pleasantly animate bubbles tirelessly mount the upright slope of the flute glass. The light extracts unusual shades, soft pastel tones of peaches, pinks and beiges that - artificially created or not - make a stunning looking beer.

Ah man, you can taste the corn. Yuck. Each sip the palate is stormed with a short-lived but intense, dizzying barrage of sweetness that quickly evaporates and left over is nothing more than the naked, unmistakable taste of fructose (corn syrup sweetener). I had intended to mention the (pitifully artificial) taste of fruit (raspberry juice is added although it tastes a lot like fake strawberries, too) but this fructose is just too superabundant.

I'd consider it almost hypocritical for any self-respecting liquor store to sell this if they also make claims about "social responsibility" regarding the sale of alcohol to minors. Adult palates should have already outgrown this. It is supernaturally, redundantly, over-gratifyingly sweet. The taste of fruit is unmistakably synthetic. It's doubtful a drink like this would appeal to anyone other than children!

The brewery uses aspartame, which is an artificial sweetener that is something like 200 times sweeter than sugar. The motivation for its use is that, because of its supernatural sweetness, only small amounts are needed and thus its caloric contribution is basically negligible. Its use is logical if your aim is to promote a sweet tasting beer to a weight conscious demographic that is likely to avoid sugar for its excess calories...

I may fear the dreaded beer-belly but I think it would be more mindful of my health to avoid aspartame than the minimal extra calories. Not that it matters. It's obvious this beer was not marketed to someone like me. For one, it lists "beer" as the first ingredient. If "beer" is just one ingredient in a list of ingredients (rather than the only* ingredient) in your drink, then what you're drinking should not really be considered beer.

*Beer should generally have only four ingredients: water, malt, hops, yeast. I'm also excluding fruits and spices, which are often used by both innovative and reputable breweries. (2,311 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -10%

250 ml bottle from LCBO, with Aspartame!

Pours a cloudy pinkish orange, pretty interesting colour, fizzy light pink head forms, quickly drops down to a thin layer, few lace spots stick to the glass, fruit juicy looking. Smell is very sweet, grapefruit juice, strawberries, very sugary, slightly musty, straw/barnyardy, wheat, oranges, very citrusy, funny smell I can't place, kind of acidic. Taste is similar, very very sweet and sugary, very fruity and citrusy, grapefruit and oranges, not much else, just incredibly juicy and sweet. Mouthfeel is light bodied with high carbonation, pretty tough on the palate. Not very drinkable, much too sweet and fake tasting. (665 characters)

Wittekerke Rosé from De Brabandere