Petrus Aged Pale - De Brabandere

Petrus Aged PalePetrus Aged Pale

De Brabandere visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-27-2001

Developed from Petrus Oud Bruin; a paler version of a traditional local style.
to view more.
Ratings: 2,189 | Reviews: 675
4.02/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very pale golden blonde colour, one finger of white head with some lace. Smell is sharp and acidic, fruity, lemon and green apple, whit wine oak and some funk. Taste is fruity and acidic, lemon, green apple and vinous wine, quite sour with a puckering tartness, dry finish and a mineral aftertaste. Medium high carbonation, spritzy and dry, medium body. Solid stuff here, I had mixed expectations going into this but it was quite good and very well priced, a hard combination to beat.

far and away my favorite beer

Very clean sour.

4.02/5  rDev -1.5%

Smells like and tastes like a fresh batch of wort. Very grainy. I like the beer, but mostly like how it reminds me of brew day when making homebrew. It’s fairly sweet.

4.67/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A very clear and bright gold. The foam wasn't excessive but has a lot of retaining power. Lacing? For sure.

Geez, this smells good if you are a sour beer fan and don't mind some horse blanket permeating your nose buds.

I am deliberately trying to pull some of that funk out of my first few sips and I can but make no mistake, this one's all about the sour and quite a bit about the bitter.

On the sour scale shown on the label, 1 to 5, this comes in at a 5. I believe it and I relish in it.

I would call it close to medium bodied with a solid but not outrageous level of carbonation.

Dang this is good. On or at least at the level of your beers from Cantillion, De Cam, Tilquin, Gerard. .

More please!

4.82/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bought this beer as it peaked my interest.

A: Looks like a wheat beer. Golden amber gold which you can't see through. Minimal head.

S: Vinegar, sour lemon, grape.

T: Same as nose; lemon, sour, vinegar, grapes, white wine, minimal hop finish.

M: Great carbonation!

O: Great beer! Never had this style before and I really enjoy it! Something I will go back to and get again.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Sour dough bread and vinegar on the nose, hazy amber color, small amout of fine lace, minimal head, effervescent, sour on the palate, thin mouth feel. But it's mostly like a sledgehammer soaked in turpentine. So bready, doughy, vinegary, fizzy, resinous, and shockingly understated when you think about everything that's going on here. If I didn't want to drink this, I could probably use it to remove my nail polish. Possible cure for malaria.

2.44/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Much better options out there, this one fell flat for me.

4.14/5  rDev +1.5%

330ml bottle into small snifter. best before "11/12/16", enjoyed on april 1, 2015

a: a very clear pale yellow against the light with minimal white head. very lager-like, but without the copious amounts of bubbles floating upward

s: oak barrel! wood, tartness, mild funk, white wine, lemon, somewhat malty. this is a very inviting nose as none of the characteristics are too aggressive

t: sour lemon up front, quickly followed by pale/lager malt flavours. vinous white grapes come in the mid-palate, but in general, there aren't many fruity characteristics here. a lingering finish consisting of a moderate hoppy bitterness, earthy wood notes, and funky tartness

m: moderate carbonation in a light-to-medium body, very fitting

o: not as fruity as i would like, but still an excellent sour beer

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

sour lemon/apple aroma. Light refreshing base with good acidity level. tart green apple flavor

4.74/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My, oh my! Just when I thought I was an obedient beer minion....

I wandered into a tap house in Oceanside, Ca around noon looking for something new to try. After scanning the rather extensive menu of tap options, I noticed the category of aged ales/sours and picked the only one listed. I had no idea of what to expect as I have never tried an aged ale. The word "sour" intrigued me and I was feeling good on vacation and adventurous.

The ale was placed on my table in a thin wine glass with a wide mouth and poured half full. I stared down at about 4 oz of a very pale yellow mystery that subtly scared me. I don't exactly know why it seemed intimidating. Perhaps it was because it was not what I had expected it to look like or maybe I was afraid that I was being watched in part of a gruesome experiment upon unsuspecting patrons that were brave enough to order such a calamity.

There was no head other than a thin ring clinging to the sides. I put my nose into the glass and took a timid sniff. What kind of beast was this?

The smell was funky. Funky as in unrecognizable. Sure the sour note was readily present but there was a strange feeling of being dragged back about 400 years (I'm not kidding). I could tell there had been a war between the physics of nature and time. The quiet battlefield and it's casualties now lay in my glass.

There was no going back. I quickly glanced around to make sure there wasn't a team of medics waiting in case something went wrong and wiped my sweaty palms on my lap.

The first sip revealed the anticipated sourness; a sour with an acidic feel. The intensity very quickly gave way to another realm of complexity; notes of old wood and earth were crisp through the nose after swallowing. My palate danced back and forth between the acidic feel and sour, aged funkiness. The finish was mostly dry akin to a brut champagne. In fact, this brew reminds me of an expensive champagne. The carbonation bites in a rough way but also a little flirty.

This concoction is a "sipper" though it has a very light mouth feel but it is ample in flavor. It can be enjoyed like a blind date with promise. It was served cold but even as the contents warmed a little it remained sassy.

I later found this brew at a local store and it beckons me from time to time. A mistress in a bottle.

2.49/5  rDev -39%

I wanted to like it due to all the great reviews it has, however i personally found it rather unpalatable. Slightly sweet, mostly bitter, odd fizz, tart smell (similar to Prosecco or Champagne)

1.52/5  rDev -62.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Pours clear yellow with half a finger of head.
Vinegar and lemon hints in the smell.
Pungent sour vinegar Taste to start, followed by a more subtle lemon flavour, quite sour but smooths out.
Taste caught me off guard, it's definitely an acquired one. Personally not for me but glad I tried it.

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Very pale and clear.
Muted aromas, but the taste as wonderfully balanced, sour and restrained. Lemons to the fore, and oak.
Mouthfeel somewhat light, but really nice drinking al in all.

4.81/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Starts with a lemony, citrusy tart nose with traces of vinegar. It pours a rich gold, sour on the nose, 1” head dissipates to a film, leaves fine lace. Big lemony palate supported by traces of light fruit sweetness balancing between plum and cherry and a hint of vanilla. Slight oak astringency and a hop accent on the finish.

4.27/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

330 ml bottle served cool into a glass. Purchased from LBCO for $2.00 CDN. Excited to try this style for only the second time (Liefmans Goudenband).

Appearance - Clear, pale golden color capped by a half finger of quickly disappearing white head. Very few bubbles are visible as the beer looks quite flat overall. Some lacing left behind.

Smell - Wow, extremely rich vinous like quality, reminiscent of good champagne. There's also a sweet floral and raspberry undercurrent upon repeated whiffs. A slight earthy dankness to the whole beer as well I'm guessing from the oak barrels. I can't wait to try this.

Taste - The grapey vinousness to this beer shows up, some mild salt and tartness to the beer as well. Earthy sourness throughout, but in a refined and delicate way. Alcohol is imperceptible. Nice acidity, but not overkill.

Mouthfeel - Lacking in carbonation, but that's to be expected with the style. Moderately bodied although light for a higher ABV beer, it finishes lip puckeringly dry and the relatively mild acidity makes this very drinkable.

Overall - A great little beer, that probably serves as a nice gateway to sours, the smell and taste profile on this are awesome, and I'm wishing I had picked up a couple more. In fact this is good enough to warrant a beer run all on its own.

4.39/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

330 mL bottle picked up at the LCBO; best before Dec 11 2016. Sour beer is a relatively new territory for me, with this being the first oud bruin I've had the chance to try. Served slightly chilled.

Pours a clear golden-yellow colour, generating one finger of fizzy, bone-white head that quickly dissipates. After a minute or so, only a thin collar remains at the surface. It's certainly not much to look at. Fortunately, the aroma is somewhat more interesting - fruity and a little floral. Green apple, sour lemon and white wine are noticeable, with mild hints of oaky tannin. There's also some funky acetic notes, which give the nose a tangy twang that is vaguely reminiscent of balsamic vinegar.

Now this is a sour that I can get behind - the flavour profile is tart, with a nice, approachable acidity. Green apple is probably the strongest vibe I am getting, followed closely by white wine and citrusy lemon zest. The tart flavours weaken in the tail end of the profile, allowing the wheaty pale malt backbone to shine through, along with hints of oak and some light funk. An acetic/vinegar acidity lingers on into the aftertaste, along with some woody tannin astringency. Light-medium in body, with restrained carbonation levels that result in a crisp, satisfying mouthfeel. While the alcohol content is nowhere to be seen, this is definitely a sipper at heart.

Final Grade: 4.39, a very solid A grade. I do not have any previous experience with this specific style of beer, nor would I consider myself a big fan of sours in general - but Petrus Aged Pale is quite possibly my favourite sour so far. The funky acidity and the tannins from the barrel result in an eminently quaffable, unique little brew that has gone a long way towards changing my opinion of sours. A good 'gateway sour', due to the affordable price point and approachable flavour profile - I will definitely make sure to procure a few more bottles of this for the cellar, since I don't expect this to remain available in Ontario indefinitely.

7.3 ABV
11.2 oz Brown Bottle $4.50 State Street Northampton MA
Appearance: Forms a head on pouring
Hazy golden color
Head disappears almost immediately leaving bubbles around the rim

Smell: Tangy and a little funky - not like fruit

Flavor: very tart at first a little acidy, finishes dry with a little aftertaste in the back of my throat
Maybe a little woody - a little like an unripe green grape

Overall: 3/5 I like the price and the ease of acquiring, it is fun to drink one bottle.
I would not ask for a second bottle in one sitting as it is too sour for more than one.
I'm burping acid a little bit.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Served in a tulip.

A - Quite voracious stream of bubbles from carbonation. Minimal head with little to no lacing. Light honey golden crystal clear body.

S - Tartness of green apples with a hint of cranberry and oak. Very full, acidic scent.

T - Hits the tip of a tongue lightly and almost flavorless, but quickly gives way to strong tart flavors. Tastes almost exactly like the nose, a cacophony of tart, light fruits- very white wine-esque, with a hint of residual sweetness. Light wheat flavors and dryness take over as the sour dissipates, proving that this is, in fact, a beer. Surprised that this lacks the buttery flavor I'm used to from oak aged white wines, though I can't say the taste is lacking for it.

M - Medium leaning on light. Quite smooth.

O - Very reminiscent of well made, acidic white wine. Can't say whether or not the oak aging did much for the flavor, but I would certainly purchase this again regardless. Enjoyable to sip on and appreciate.

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Purchased at the LCBO for $3.75 for a 330ml bottle. Served at 7deg C in a draught glass

A- Opens well and pours a tiny head that is gone in 30sec. Medium gold color and filtered clear

S- Excellent sour citrus scent. Some straw smell

T- Sour. Excellent body and sweet. Has a wheatie taste to it like straw or something like it.

M- Dry and tart like the sour smell.

O- Pretty good. Got an extra for later but don't want to buy too many more so I can save money for different beer. Good but not great. As a sour goes very good.

Food Pairing

This nice little beer went well with...... Ahi tuna with red onions, avocado, lemon mixed with soy sauce topped with roasted sesame seeds

Enjoy

4.14/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from 11.4 oz bottle into pint glass

A - Bright, crystal clear pale straw body. No lacing despite a fizzy head.

S - Granny smith apple, oak, wild honey, and a slight funk.

T - The honey-like malt sweetness hits the tongue first, almost fooling you into thinking it is an average beer. Then, apple, old lemon, and musky grape tartness envelope the palate. Then, a remarkable almost champagne - like dryness accompanied by buttery oak and slight horse hair funk. The finish leaves a bit of a pucker on the lips and lingering notes of fruit.

M - Remarkably thin for the ABV. Somewhat buttery feeling like a chardonnay, though.

O - A great beer.for those who like complex white wines. A solid mix of sour, oak barrel, fruit, and funk.

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

Tart Apple goodness with a bit of oak. Dry as hell and keeps you wanting more. Very well done.

1.75/5  rDev -57.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

I have not seen this beer before at the LCBO, so I jumped all over it. Bought two bottles.
What a mistake!
Just an awful tasting beverage. Sour and bitter in an atrocious combination. If this is the best Petrus has to offer (and according to people around here, that is the case), I will stay far, far away from them.
Horrible.
One of only a couple of beers that was poured down the drain.

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 25.4oz bottle into a 16oz Belgian glass.

Appearance - 5/5
A beautifuli golden-yellow orange, lots of head. Very clear. Lots of carbonation moving up the glass. It looks like a lively and exciting beer.

Smell - 3.75/5
Sour fruit, perhaps apples and berries. Some light hops, light breadiness, and light spice. The aroma is not very strong though, I would like it to be more intense.

Taste - 3.75/5
Very sweet (perhaps too sweet for some), tart, apples and cherries. Some light spiciness. I'm not sure if it's my glassware (it's a new Belgian glass I just got), but the taste seems to have metallic aspects, which I'm not sure quite fit in this beer. More overall assesment of the taste is that it is good, but could definitely be improved on. The tart flavor is not as complex or as prominent as I would like it too be. Perhaps the slightly excessive sweetness masks some of the tart flavors. Also, I would remove the metallic flavor. Also, this was supposed to be a pale (at least according to the name), but I didn't really taste any of those flavors.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Medium bodied, smooth but quite crisp. A medium amount of medium-high intensity carbonation.

Overall - 3.75/5
Overall this was a good beer, but it wasn't everything I was hoping for. The taste was good, but I would tweak it a bit as described above. Also, I would like more of a pale ale aspect to this beer. If you want a sour pale ale, get Jolly Pumpkin's Luciernaga instead of this. If you don't care about the pale ale aspect, this beer will be cheaper than Luciernaga. Also, after looking it up, this beer is classified by BA as a Flanders Oud Bruin, whereas Luciernaga is a Belgian Pale. I guess that explains the differences.

4.94/5  rDev +21.1%

One of the best Sours I've tasted!

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really good, but not sure if champaign or beer lol

to view more.