Petrus Aged Pale - De Brabandere

Petrus Aged PalePetrus Aged Pale

De Brabandere visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-27-2001

Developed from Petrus Oud Bruin; a paler version of a traditional local style.
to view more.
Ratings: 2,187 | Reviews: 674
Reviews by wchesak:
3.82/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured into an Allagash chalice

A - pale golden color, good amount of head, bubbles very akin to champagne

S - sour apple blow pop, and maybe some yeast

T - tart, sour apple

M - crisp, light bodied, great carbonation

D - one of those Belgian beers were you can really only have one at a time because of the unique taste, maybe could have a second if it was paired with some food

4.74/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My, oh my! Just when I thought I was an obedient beer minion....

I wandered into a tap house in Oceanside, Ca around noon looking for something new to try. After scanning the rather extensive menu of tap options, I noticed the category of aged ales/sours and picked the only one listed. I had no idea of what to expect as I have never tried an aged ale. The word "sour" intrigued me and I was feeling good on vacation and adventurous.

The ale was placed on my table in a thin wine glass with a wide mouth and poured half full. I stared down at about 4 oz of a very pale yellow mystery that subtly scared me. I don't exactly know why it seemed intimidating. Perhaps it was because it was not what I had expected it to look like or maybe I was afraid that I was being watched in part of a gruesome experiment upon unsuspecting patrons that were brave enough to order such a calamity.

There was no head other than a thin ring clinging to the sides. I put my nose into the glass and took a timid sniff. What kind of beast was this?

The smell was funky. Funky as in unrecognizable. Sure the sour note was readily present but there was a strange feeling of being dragged back about 400 years (I'm not kidding). I could tell there had been a war between the physics of nature and time. The quiet battlefield and it's casualties now lay in my glass.

There was no going back. I quickly glanced around to make sure there wasn't a team of medics waiting in case something went wrong and wiped my sweaty palms on my lap.

The first sip revealed the anticipated sourness; a sour with an acidic feel. The intensity very quickly gave way to another realm of complexity; notes of old wood and earth were crisp through the nose after swallowing. My palate danced back and forth between the acidic feel and sour, aged funkiness. The finish was mostly dry akin to a brut champagne. In fact, this brew reminds me of an expensive champagne. The carbonation bites in a rough way but also a little flirty.

This concoction is a "sipper" though it has a very light mouth feel but it is ample in flavor. It can be enjoyed like a blind date with promise. It was served cold but even as the contents warmed a little it remained sassy.

I later found this brew at a local store and it beckons me from time to time. A mistress in a bottle.

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Sour dough bread and vinegar on the nose, hazy amber color, small amout of fine lace, minimal head, effervescent, sour on the palate, thin mouth feel. But it's mostly like a sledgehammer soaked in turpentine. So bready, doughy, vinegary, fizzy, resinous, and shockingly understated when you think about everything that's going on here. If I didn't want to drink this, I could probably use it to remove my nail polish. Possible cure for malaria.

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured from a 330 into a standard pint (the tulip was dirty and I was lazy). The light haze in the gold was lovely. The aroma offered a hint of the sour to come with some citrussy character from a hoppy beer. But the taste was just a wonderful level tartness that was like nothing I had encountered. This is the beer that set me off on a long run of sours. It is therefore my benchmark since it was my first sour. I may revise once I have had more from this style, but this will be a repeat purchase.

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%

Appearance – Poured a nice, thick, super-light orange with a terrific head that laced slowly down the glass.

Smell – Wonderful sherry-like aroma reminding me of my Alvear’s Cream. The oak scents come out as well. This has a beautiful, sweet and sour bouquet.

Taste – The acidic vinegar starts this one off, giving a slight sting in the mouth. This is followed by the deep sour backbone, heavily laden with table sugar. Towards the end some malt actually comes out. This is a good mix.

Mouthfeel – Exhilarating! This one will wake you up.

Drinkability – I’ll give my bottom dollar to the guy that can chug this bottle. This is a sipping wine (I like it before dinner or late at night). It doesn’t really go good with any foods, IMO. My penchant is to take this style on an empty stomach, preferably while sitting in front of the tube watching the M’s play ball.

4.42/5  rDev +8.3%

2001 Vintage served up for just a couple bucks at Delilah’s in Chicago in March of 2007.

I love Delilah’s. Every time I go there I find new beers to try that have been aged at least 5 years. Always fun.

This one was exceptional.

Poured into my chalice a bright clear gold with small amounts of yeast present in the body and a thin white head on top.

Nose is loaded with oak tannins. Underneath them is a zest of lemon and grapefruit. These light fruit aromas are rotten and inviting, hinting at a geuze like sensation that is to follow. Vanilla, cherry, and earth play roles too.

Taste is highly acidic and funky. The yeast play a prominent role providing sour and tart fruit flavors while the oak rounds everything out. Feel is light, crisp, and very tart, mouth puckering tart. Semi candied and woody.

Very drinkable. Highly interesting mouthfeel does the trick. Lambic/geuze lovers should find this very appealing. I have to imagine that the age played a large roll in the development of this deeply crafted and almost intimidating level of character.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Petrus Aged Pale pours a golden, amber-ish and orange kind of color, a bit muddled in hue, although it has reasonably good clarity, save for a bit of chill haze at the start. The gray-tinted head doesn't stick around for a very long time, as it quickly descends into a skin that has trouble even spanning the top of the brew. No lacing, although it isn't exactly expected for this style of beer.

One sniff and you're hit with a good "one-two" combo of sour and funk; musky cellar and corky funk, complimented by a mirage of tart fruits, like apple skins, lemon zest, and a bit of white grape. Barrel character is highly integrated, too, with plenty of tannin and wet oak. The yeast provides a touch of clove-like spice and maybe even a bit of bubblegum - very characteristic of certain Belgian yeast strains. So far, I'm liking how things are going.

The brew carries a nice, even tartness throughout the entirety of each sip; the profile expands even more on the palate, opening up and bouncing around with a plethora fruits. Green apples, grapes, cherries, strawberry, and a touch of lemon zest in the end. Tart, but not quite puckering or sour, and very calm and mellow; no acidic burn, which is a good thing for my stomach lining. Vinegar as well as vinous notes are low, except for a heavy bit of oak that hangs around in the background, adding a nice level of complex dryness to the beer.

For a "sour" ale, this beer is balanced very well and has plenty of malt and even a touch of grassy hops to keep the tart-inducing yeast in check. I wouldn't call it "boozy" at 7.3% ABV, but the barrel aging does integrate a mild sherry and phenol-like alcoholic tone that beefs up an otherwise light-tasting Belgian sour. Medium bodied, even borderline creamy, although the high carbonation keeps it from being so. Finish is somewhat dry and a touch sticky.

Awesome beer here, and what's even better is that you can easily pick this stuff off of most shelves around town. Definitely a brew that's sour and funky enough to please long-time fans of the style, while remaining mild and tame enough to not scare newcomers away. Reasonably priced for the quality and amount as well; one of the better examples of blonde Belgian sours that are easy to obtain.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

A: A light golden beer with excellent clarity and enthusiastic effervescent bubble streaming to the surface. The rocky white head fades after a minute leaving a ring of foam on the surface.

S: The Calvados oak barrel, a lactic sourness and a spicy dry hopped aroma blend together making for an inviting bouquet. There is a moderately-light vanilla and a very soft malt aroma in the background along with a mild apricot ester. No alcohol nor diacetyl noticeable.

T: Ummagumma that is tart! Intense sour tartness, crisp and dry. There isn't any hops flavor and little malt flavor to speak of in this beer. For as dry as it is there is still that sweet tart quality even though it's almost all tart. There doesn't seem to be that much hops bitterness either but the acidity make it seem like there is some. So the balance is almost completely sour and tart with a dry finish having a quick juicy somewhat fruity aftertaste. There are a light and bright fruit flavors and a little bit of spicy phenols.

M: A light bodied beer that is highly carbonated giving a bit of that carbonic dryness. No creaminess, no astringency nor warmth.

O: Sour fan Nirvana, this is a clean and intense sour beer with an awesome aroma. I haven't had a more sour beer that this and I'm loving it.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours gold with great clarity and a thick, white head.

Something sweet underneath earthy barnyard and strawberry fruitiness. Very interesting.

Sweet and malty like cotton candy up front turns lemony and sour, wild yeast notes left and right. Thirst quenching and fruity.

I would never guess this is 7.3%, not because that's high, because the beer is so light and refreshing. It's like a summer sour that's good anytime.

This is a great beer that deserves alot more attention. A pleasant suprise for any sour lover. Think RR Temptation with a little less dryness.

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: bright gold body, fluffy bleach white head. some nice lacing, and retaining ring.

S: soft tang, hay, green fruits. bacterial acidity but balanced and inviting.

T/M: tang splashes up front, crisp and refreshing. some lactic tart and soft collide. straw, and the grainy hay in the nose come through midway mixed with a soft wood quality. the crisp acidity is a bit funky but restrained and massively interesting. some green apple and pear(?). mouthfeel is light and crisp as already stated, with a touch of creaminess. as the beer warms a tiny touch of sugar on the finish. long.

D: awesome on a warm day, with soft cheeses, roasted veggies, rich sauces, on and on...

i could go on and on about this very cool and unique beer but im gonna drink instead.

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%

750mL bottle poured into two snifters

It pours a transparent marigold with a surprisingly lingering fluffy white head. After the head dies down a tight layer of bubbles crown the beer.

The nose is immediately has some lactic tartness and some white wine grape acidity. It's not over the top with the acidity but does have a little vinegar in there.

Taste has a strong lactic bite in the front that lasts throughout the taste. The pale color seems to translate to a more mellow malt character than other Flanders style beers. It also doesn't finish as sweet as other examples and has a fairly dry finish. While I like the dry finish I usually like a little more body in my Flanders style beers. Thats not to say this isn't a great tasting beer. I think it's really well done and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Right out of the bottle the carbonation was a too high for my liking and gave an unneeded added acidity which corrected itself as it sat a while and became a little flatter.

The acidity level of this beer is on the higher side which is the only thing hampering it's drinkability. Overall I really love this beer and for $6.99 a 750mL it's a better bargain than Rodenbach Grand Cru, my benchmark beer in price/availability/taste.

3.97/5  rDev -2.7%

A - Pours a slightly hazy honey color with almost two fingers of white head. Head has pretty good retention. Leaves only scant lacing.

S - Tart, with sour apple and a bit of vinegar, some wood notes, and earthy yeast.

T - Again, tart up front, though the earthy funk nicely complements the sour fruit and vinegar tastes. Some oak and a mild sweetness come in midway, though the finish is crisp, tart and dry with some wood notes.

M - Light crisp mouthfeel that finishes dry and earthy.

O - An enjoyable Oud Bruin, if not as good or complex as the best of the style. Still, I would have this again.

3.87/5  rDev -5.1%

11.2 oz bottle. Pours clear straw yellow with a medium frothy white head that quickly goes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is acidic sourness with some tart green apples and a little sweethearts.

The flavor is lots of acidic tart mouth-puckering sourness with some sweethearts. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation.

Overall, a nice acidic sour. It's very sour and a little sweet and candy-like Duchesse, but not too sweet.

3.65/5  rDev -10.5%

No dating. Was gifted this one, so who knows the age. A few yeasty chunks floating around up to the white frothy head that sat in a ring and dusting. Lemon juice scented, cellard, bit vineous, slightly musty. The carbonation is so mellow, but the gentle bubbles just slightly bite your lips when the glass comes to your lips. The carb is nice and tight. Bitey and shap, pungent flavors, almost hars, but sooo good. Very aged tasting, cellared and lovely. Bit bitter, sharp at the edges and back of your tongue, and then the top of your mouth. Not too sharp that it locks you up like a guezuze, nice. Good as a sipper, the flavors are there to be experienced and thought about.

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A- bright gold with a thin layer of bubbles. Brilliantly clear despite sediment in bottle.

S- bright lactic sourness, light oak and a touch of grass.

T- tar and tangy, with a slightly funky sourness. No signs of bitterness or hops but some barnyard funk that blends nicely with the clean lactic sourness.

M- light and moderately carbonated, this one is refreshing.

O- a refreshing beer with some nice clean sourness and just a touch of funk. Not overly complex but an enjoyable summer sour.

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

11.2 oz brown bottle with the year 2003 on the back label.

Appearance: Medium foaming off of a hard pour, wonderful rimming of Brussels Lace over the slightly weathered golden hue.

Smell: A bit tart with suggestions of cherries and a bit vinous as well. Faint oaky woodiness mingles with the grain, very aromatic in a mildly pungent way.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Lip smacking tartness upfront subsides as soon as the palate becomes accustom to the level of acidity. Oak flavours draw the mouth towards dry yet there is just enough sweetness from the grain to meld with the tartness for a sweet-tart juicy middle. Hints of earthiness show a complex yeast. Faint sherry character as the warmth of the alcohol becomes more apparent with its slightly ester profile. Finishes with more wood on a dry note.

Notes: A beautiful beer, as the beer caresses the mouth the tartness awakens the taste buds. Very refreshing and a perfect pair to a simple goat cheese. This beer is not for quaffing, sip and savour every drop.

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

The beer pours a light yellow color with a white head. The aroma is very tart with vanilla and oak notes. The flavor is tart lemons with some oak. The beer is extremely dry and makes you keep drinking it. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. An excellent, budget sour.

3.77/5  rDev -7.6%

I sort of didn't realize that this was a sour beer when I bought it. I had my suspicions, but I wasn't sure. Those suspicions were confirmed upon the first whiff. Heavy hints of oak and slight vinegar. I'm not a huge sour beer drinker, but this was actually pretty good. It had that nice malt backbone that tends to distinguish Oud Bruins from, say, a gueze. This went surprisingly well with the berry pie that I was eating at the time. The mouth feel was sort of thin and resiny. This was good, not my favorite style, but one that I'm learning to appreciate. It'd probably drink one again with a dessert sometime.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Tulip.

Appearance: Slightly hazy golden-blonde with nice, foamy white cap. Some sticky lacing.

Smell: Major apple cider going on here - both sweet and tart. Some light pepper as well. Oak becomes noticeable as it warms.

Taste: Very tart and peppery. Somewhat sweet apple, oak and clove provide an additional layer of complexity, but it is the tart, peppery profile that carries from start to finish. Some hoppy bitter notes at the end as well.

Feel: Moderately high carbonation, fairly light body, nice dry finish.

Overall: I was surprised by how peppery this is, but that seems to make it more refreshing and appealing. Also, despite the onslaught on the taste buds, there is still a nice, soft character beneath that really makes this a fantastic sipper.

2.29/5  rDev -43.9%

Not my cup of tea . Stouts and ipa's please

3.82/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

On draft at Monk's Cafe in Philly. I tried this head-to-head with the Monk's Flemish Sour Ale. Although this was a very good Oud Bruin, it paled in comparison the the Monk's version. Very session able and may have received a higher rating if I had it on a different session but much weaker in taste and higher in alcohol. Basically the light version of the Monk's Flemish with higher ABV. Personally, I rate based on flavor, not for speed of inebriation.

3.31/5  rDev -18.9%

11.2oz bottle poured into an Ommegang tulip.

Pours a deep dark brown with a small clingy light brown head. Nose is light, malty and sweet with some tart funk.

Taste is very tart and sour. It's rich and malty, for being funky but quite smooth and drinkable for what it is, light malt and light carb is nice.

3.63/5  rDev -11%

Reviewed 03/04/09

Poured from a 33 cl bottle into a 16oz pint glass. Firm pour calls fourth a 1/4 inch bright white head. Head shows nice staying power and a very nice lace. Color is a slightly clouded straw yellow.

Nose- Wow Sour nose, smells like a sour apple cider. Notes of chardonnay, tart champagne, white grape, old stale gym socks. Hints of vanilla from the oak.

Palate- Trying to review this as objectively as possible, as sours are not my favorite. At the time of purchase I thought this was an aged Belgian Pale ale. Very sour, reminiscent of one of those sour candies. Sour apple cider, lots of white wine characteristics. Sour white grapes, green apple, tart champagne elements. This brew is nothing if not complex. Extremely active carbonation. Notes of vanilla in the finish. I am actually kind of enjoying this. Finish is tart, shocker, and very dry. Hints of wet rotting wood found in most cask, or barrel aged beers.

Mouthfeel- Exceedingly active, carbonation is sharp on the tongue. Very dry and tart.

Drinkability- As a neophyte to the sour genre, one is enough. This beer does provide an inviting introduction to the style.

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

Bears a sweet, sparkling nose, with strong hints of apple, pear, and white grape, and comes across not unlike a sugary apple cider. A faint aroma of toasted grains lies just beneath, mixed in with just a hint of oak.

On the tongue, the beer takes an immediate and surprising turn and comes across so sour that my eyes closed in reflex--much like expecting apple cider but getting apple cider vinegar instead. Strong vinegary notes dominate here, bursting with the apple and white grape notes from the nose, but it's as if those flavors were concentrated several times over. This sour proliferation is moderately balanced by a sugary backbone, with nice hints of light fruit esters and toasted grains, as well as oaky notes from the cask aging, but really it's the sourness that dominates the mouthful from one end to the other, and actually grows in strength the longer it's held on the tongue.

Unless you've had sour ales and have gotten used to their taste, I don't recommend this one; it would prove unpalatable to the novice. Enthusiasts, however, will no doubt find this a stellar example of the style.

4.81/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Starts with a lemony, citrusy tart nose with traces of vinegar. It pours a rich gold, sour on the nose, 1” head dissipates to a film, leaves fine lace. Big lemony palate supported by traces of light fruit sweetness balancing between plum and cherry and a hint of vanilla. Slight oak astringency and a hop accent on the finish.

to view more.