Petrus Aged Pale - De Brabandere

Petrus Aged PalePetrus Aged Pale

De Brabandere visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-27-2001

Developed from Petrus Oud Bruin; a paler version of a traditional local style.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Petrus Aged Pale Alström Bros
first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Reviews: 668 | Hads: 2,237

This beer is deep golden in color approaching amber. Tiny Champagny bubbles. Bubbles are extremely scrubby. Apricot, bacon, and subtle apple cider on the nose. It has a firm aroma of funk, but not offensive. Sour apple cider on the palate. Still apricots, touch of honey, clean fresh pear, Citrus zest finishes long.
The body is light, it has a medium viscosity, high acidity. It coats your mouth like riesling would, with a slightly oily feel. You can feel this on your teeth if you chew it. This is a very nice session sour, especially for the price of $4 a bottle.

I am not sure if Flanders Oud Bruin is the right style for this one though. It reminds me more of a Belgium Strong Pale, Golden Ale/Biere de Garde, than it does a Oud Bruin. Plus Petrus makes another beer that is actually labeled as Oud Bruin, while this beer is labeled as Aged Pale Grand Reserve. (869 characters)

Petrus Aged Pale is in a league of it's own. It's a perfect sour ale retaining the quality flavors of a pale ale while still having the great sour flavors. It I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life this one might be it. (234 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +25.2%

i dig this beer.
straight up

Brenden at Memphis tap room hit this one on the head
"80% of Cantillion(sp?) for half the price"

very unique, pours a light hazy yellow
good amount of head, very spicy sour smell at first sniff

very tart of the first sniff
sour but smooth

apparently this beer is what Bavik used to mix their Old Bruin with (which is muuucccch better on draft then in the bottle)

this is a great beer to go with some food or on a hot day

7.3 makes it a tough session beer, but hey if i wanted to just kick it back with no real worries... there is not much else i would rather drink

absolutley one of my favorites , so refreshing and also so complex

this is a great gateway beer for those wanting to dig into the realms of sours, guezes,and other funky and off the radar beers (795 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +24.4%

I have loved this beer for almost 15 years, since it was called 'Petrus Oak Aged Ale', and I spent the past 10 years without it. I had trepidations when I finally got my hands on it, as it had been so long since I had it. It may be slightly different now than it was then; it doesn't have the oak floaties and it is slightly lighter in hue, but that could be attributed to a more thorough filtering. It still is the among the best out. It has all of the characteristics that I prize in a beer.

A - Hazy iced tea hue with a mm or so of persistent foam abstractly clinging to the glass, eventually appearing as if it were lacing as seen by Pollock. It has almost all of the characteristics that I prize in a beer.

S - Smells like Calabrese young olives, acidic, astringent, sour, pickled peppers, and apple cider vinegar; it is awesome, and not at all how it sounds. It has all of the characteristics that I prize in a beer.

T - Funky, sour, astringent-briny without being the slightest bit saline, it has all of the characteristics that I prize in a beer.

M - Puckeringly sour, with moderately sharp carbonation, on the lighter side of medium-bodied. It has all of the characteristics that I prize in a beer.

D - My favorite beer ever. No question about it. Not hyped; I don't care. It is the deal. It has all of the characteristics that I prize in a beer. (1,360 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +23.9%

I am so happy to have a chance to try this beer. Thanks to the Charleston Beer Exchange for bringing them to the area.

A - Pale pale pale... Very clear with no haze. Not even a quarter inch head. This is typical for a sour. I am not sure the color matches the style though.
S - Sour apples with a bit of oak. Slight funk.
T - Fruity, sour, and full of wild yeasty goodness. Taste like it came from Cantillon.
M - Tart. Crisp. Puckering sour.
D - I love sour beers, so this was easy for me to drink. I love the crisp taste and the funk. I am shocked this got a B.

I love this beer and think all wild beer fans should give it a try. It is way cheaper than most wild brews, but does not lack the flavor or complexity. (719 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +23.9%

Presentation: 330ml/11.2 fluid ounce bottle. Labeled as “Petrus - Aged Pale – Grand Reserve - Belgium Ale” and has a listed strength of 7.3% ABV in the bottom left hand corner, The reverse label has a printed “2003” indicating that this is the second batch released from Brouwerij Bavik.

So a little bit of history. Petrus Oud Bruin is made with 33% freshly brewed but oak-aged Brown Ale, which is then blended with an oak-aged Pale Ale. This is said Aged Pale Ale which is not usually available as a stand-alone beer. First bottled in 2000 and released as part of the Michael Jackson Beers of the Month Club in 2001, this is the second issue (2003) of the Petrus Aged Pale Ale. Made only with Pale Malts it spends 2 to 3 years in oak barrels. Limited Release.

Appearance: Pours with a champagne like effervescence that forms a large white head that is smooth and frothy. It looks fantastic in the glass when first poured. The head slowly settles but never gets below a ¼” collar. The body is a pale gold at the bottom of the glass with some dark copper hints at the top, the color of the beers body grades lighter as you look down the Glass, weird but very cool.

Nose: Vinous acidity in the nose mixed with a damp wood odor. Farmyard funk that has a sweet/sour aspect. A lot of Autumnal country smells that beggar’s description but are simply marvelous.

Taste: Awesome. Starts with a biting sharpness and some expulsion of carbonation in the mouth which quite literally blows you away with its immensely huge impact. Like the first time you have a traditional Gueuze or the first time you ran into a wall when a Child. It has a complex Sweet/Sour profile that continually comes and goes. A very unique beer. How can a beer so pale and golden taste like a Flemish Red or an Oud Bruin? Woody middle with some funky yeast in the back end and a sour long, long lingering finish. Amazing!

Mouthfeel: A fantastic spritzy sourness sucks the cheeks in whilst at the same time coating them with a sticky sweetness. Smooth and velvety it fills the mouth like a soft expanded foam.

Drinkability: Lambic, Oud Bruin and Flemish Red lovers will immediately take to this, as I indeed did. Even given its aggressive sweet/sour taste profile and complexity it has a fantastic Drinkability that simply belies belief.

Overall: Looks like a Weak Lager, drinks like an Old Bruin, tastes like a Flemish Red. This is a very interesting beer, I’m so glad that I finally got a chance to try this one. A quite remarkable beer. Mind-blowing.

This is a Limited Release beer.
A MUST TRY if you see it. Excellent! (2,620 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +23.9%

When I tasted this last night, the first thing I wrote down was, 'This kicks ass!!'

But I've got to back up for a moment. Initially, the smell intrigued me. Very sweet and spicy, with a mix of fruits and a touch of honey and yeast thrown in. I knew this was going to be something different. I loved this beer at the first sip. It has a sour tartness, along with with a fair malt sweetness. The sweet and sour flavors causes a pleasantly bizarre blend that I honestly cannot explain fully. I'll just have to stick with my original, though not very eloquent, statement that Petrus Aged Pale 'kicks ass!!' (613 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +22.9%

Pours a clear nice color not a lot of head but smells sour and amazing... tart tart tart smell can't wait to taste this. mmm mmm makes my mouth pucker but damn that's cleansing and refreshing. A nice palate cleanser after something that might wreck your palate. Learning more about the sour style and loving every min of it. Let's drink more!!! (344 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Petrus Aged Pale poured into a pint glass. A lighter looking sour that could pass for many types of good ales. Smell is fantastic as the tart sour really comes through. A lighter sour, oaky taste that is very quenchable. Great for a summer day. Great beer though I prefer something a bit bolder. But for what it is and what it is trying to be it is very good. (364 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +22.9%

My highest rated beer yet.

The color is the sunshine glinting off the wedding ring the girl you grew up next to gave you, as the sunrise peaks through the open windows facing out from your castle tower honeymoon suite onto a secluded cove on an unnamed island. The head is the exact color of that beautiful godly frosting that comes with toaster strudels and somehow looks even more enticing.

The smell is confusing in the way the first time a girl grabbed your junk but didn't do anything else with it sort of way. Kinda like... I feel like we could think of something better to do with this, and do it now.

I don't want to talk about how it tasted. My goddamn earlobes are exuberant, and my toenails are tingling.

Imagine a naked, blonde masseuse covered in olive oil and carrying a golden harp is alternating between singing and rubbing herself all over you. Now imagine tiny ones are chilling on each of your taste buds. Such is the mouthfeel.

It's worth a try. (975 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +22.2%

The first sip I had of this beer instantly reminded me of Rodenbach (for very good reasons). Nicely complex, sweet sour beer in the flanders style. Definitely requires some getting used to, but most people I have shared the beers with ended up enjoying after the initial shock :) As you move the beer around your mouth (as is common with this style), the flavor profile will change fairly dramatically. Drinks almost like a good wine. Petrus Aged Pale is a very refreshing wine-like beer, great for summers spent lounging in a deck chair. (543 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +22.2%

750ml bottle, corked and caged. No freshness or bottling date found.

A- Pours highly carbonated and active with an immediate mid to large head forming. Head retention is good, and it lasts a little while, finishing as a thin layer of lace on top. Pure gold in color. Only slight darker than a macro, but slightly hazy. Continuous stream of bubbles to the top.

S- Tart and strong. My first reaction to this scent was that my mouth immediately watered at the sour taste to come. Pungent fruitiness is prominent with maybe a hint of cherry, but mostly a slightly acidic sour note.

T- Flavors here are dead on what the scent previewed. The sour profile is hard to describe, but of moderate strength. The sour flavor is a cross between tart and slightly funky. Starts with somewhat fruity sour notes, but then right to an acidic sour flavor. Towards the end you can pick up slight hints of the barrel. Barrel flavor is most evident in a drier finish that had a slight spicy note.

M- For the style, this is spot on. I can't think of a better feel and texture for this style of beer. Highly carbonated, light on the palate, yet the body still supports the sourness of the beer. No detectable alcohol, and the level of sour doesn't destroy your palate.

Overall, this is THE champagne of beer. I know High Life claims that, but this looks and feels like a champagne to me, while maintaining a superior beer flavor. This will most likely become a staple of my fridge as an affordable shower. Simply delicious. (1,504 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +21.4%

From brew notes taken this past weekend:

A - Hazey orange with lots of yellow and white hues. Head is small with white foam.

S - Very peach, lots of funk in this one. Great scent.

T - Smooth. Slightly sour. Delicious peach flavor.

M - Very smooth. Great carbonation too. Zero bitterness.

O - AWESOME! Buy it if you can find it. Highly recommended. (352 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bought this beer as it peaked my interest.

A: Looks like a wheat beer. Golden amber gold which you can't see through. Minimal head.

S: Vinegar, sour lemon, grape.

T: Same as nose; lemon, sour, vinegar, grapes, white wine, minimal hop finish.

M: Great carbonation!

O: Great beer! Never had this style before and I really enjoy it! Something I will go back to and get again. (381 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Starts with a lemony, citrusy tart nose with traces of vinegar. It pours a rich gold, sour on the nose, 1” head dissipates to a film, leaves fine lace. Big lemony palate supported by traces of light fruit sweetness balancing between plum and cherry and a hint of vanilla. Slight oak astringency and a hop accent on the finish. (328 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +20.9%

Man oh man, what a beer. First of all, if you're new to the Flanders' style "sour" beers, be prepared for your next beer epiphany. The first sip puckers your face inside out. Don't judge the beer yet, keep going and you'll become hooked. The intermingling of sweet/sour is simply amazing. Extremely complex yet refreshing. Seek it out. (341 characters)

Over at the LP.

Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow color, good sized head, fades at a decent rate, some patchy bits of lacing on the Petrus glass.

Smell has a lightly sour/vinegar aroma with touches of light fruit and citrus, not picking up any hop balance though.

Taste is not overwhelmingly sour but has just the right balance between the light fruit tartness and sweet malt with some added citrus, good carbonation levels, strength is not evident at all, touch of oak woodiness to add a hint of complexity, honestly this can be a sipper or a downer because it's just so easy drinking and enjoyable.

I can't believe it's taken this long to try this beer, I'll certainly need to get this more often now. (709 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +20.9%

On the nose are layers of soda, including, but not limited to: vanilla, lime, cola, peach and cherry, the whole Towne Club line it seems. Remarkable flavors ride a wave of fat fizz starting with something similar to licking sap directly off the bark of a sugar maple then rapidly narrowing into an acidic flume of limeade. I'll drink more. (339 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +20.7%

Appearance: Pours a brilliantly clear golden body with a frothy head that drops precipitously but leaves a fair amount of lacing

Smell: A whole range of tart fruit - pineapples, green apples, sour cherries, lemons and a bit of puckerish funk

Taste: An amazing blend of sweet and tart flavors that ping pong back and forth through to the finish, where they are joined with a balsa wood character

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, sour and puckering; low carbonation

Drinkability: Lovely to sip on and spread across the tongue as it plays upon the different taste receptors (566 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

Poured from a 330 into a standard pint (the tulip was dirty and I was lazy). The light haze in the gold was lovely. The aroma offered a hint of the sour to come with some citrussy character from a hoppy beer. But the taste was just a wonderful level tartness that was like nothing I had encountered. This is the beer that set me off on a long run of sours. It is therefore my benchmark since it was my first sour. I may revise once I have had more from this style, but this will be a repeat purchase. (500 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

A - Slightly hazy gold with a thick finger of white head that makes a blanket on top of the beer. Tight little bubbles rush to the top for a while. Patches and strings of lace coat the glass all the way to the end.

S - Tart green apples, oak, chardonnay, acidic and musty with fresh cut hay.

T - Slightly puckering sourness at the beginning with green apple quickly transitions to fruits, grapes, tart lemon and oak. Slightly acidic but the pcukering at the beginning quickly fades to a lingering tartness.

M - Light and crisp, maybe even a touch creamy with a good amount of carbonation that somewhat scrubs the pucking sourness off the palette into a nice light tartness.

D - I haven't seen many pale Oud Bruins. A nice blend of flavors that seem to work really well together. One of the best Oud Bruins I have had yet and not a bad price at 3.99. (853 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My, oh my! Just when I thought I was an obedient beer minion....

I wandered into a tap house in Oceanside, Ca around noon looking for something new to try. After scanning the rather extensive menu of tap options, I noticed the category of aged ales/sours and picked the only one listed. I had no idea of what to expect as I have never tried an aged ale. The word "sour" intrigued me and I was feeling good on vacation and adventurous.

The ale was placed on my table in a thin wine glass with a wide mouth and poured half full. I stared down at about 4 oz of a very pale yellow mystery that subtly scared me. I don't exactly know why it seemed intimidating. Perhaps it was because it was not what I had expected it to look like or maybe I was afraid that I was being watched in part of a gruesome experiment upon unsuspecting patrons that were brave enough to order such a calamity.

There was no head other than a thin ring clinging to the sides. I put my nose into the glass and took a timid sniff. What kind of beast was this?

The smell was funky. Funky as in unrecognizable. Sure the sour note was readily present but there was a strange feeling of being dragged back about 400 years (I'm not kidding). I could tell there had been a war between the physics of nature and time. The quiet battlefield and it's casualties now lay in my glass.

There was no going back. I quickly glanced around to make sure there wasn't a team of medics waiting in case something went wrong and wiped my sweaty palms on my lap.

The first sip revealed the anticipated sourness; a sour with an acidic feel. The intensity very quickly gave way to another realm of complexity; notes of old wood and earth were crisp through the nose after swallowing. My palate danced back and forth between the acidic feel and sour, aged funkiness. The finish was mostly dry akin to a brut champagne. In fact, this brew reminds me of an expensive champagne. The carbonation bites in a rough way but also a little flirty.

This concoction is a "sipper" though it has a very light mouth feel but it is ample in flavor. It can be enjoyed like a blind date with promise. It was served cold but even as the contents warmed a little it remained sassy.

I later found this brew at a local store and it beckons me from time to time. A mistress in a bottle. (2,320 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +19.4%

Tea gold colored. A white top perforated with energetic bubbles.
Aromas of mountain honey and whole grain biscuits are carried on a wave of briny, barrel-aged applesauce. The flavors are very sour. Acidity interlaces with melting fruit, nuts and buttery crust flavors. Notes of vanilla are beaten down by crabapple and lime sourness. The gas is lively. Extremely refreshing. Finishing aromatics of lemon flesh, fino sherry, wild grasses and blooms make it hard to stop drinking this beer. The texture is not without seams though. A little more extract and this would be a perfect beer. It's an albino Rodenbach Grand Cru of old. Amazing. (638 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +19.4%

Pours a clear straw with a decent white head. The nose...oh man...smelling this reminds me of my trips to Napa. The wooden barrels permeating the air and sending me to a place that puts me in a different world. The one I need to be in for this experience. Strong oak, though not overpowering. For an oaked beer, I don't see how it could be any better; hence the 5. The flavor. Of course there is a serious influence from the oak here. But is also hits you with a slight tang that gets your taste buds to really pay attention. The oak does not last a long time, but while it is there it is making itself known. Strong apple presence as well. Borders on cider-esqe. I am revising my review and giving the taste a 5. Feel is slightly carbonated, but not thick at all. Very drinkable as far as being such a unique and interesting brew. But it's not a session beer. Too distinct, too pungent, and way too elegant to be slamming these all night, though I would love to have this one another time. Awesome. I am ecstatic to be able to try this one, but pissed that I have no (local) way to get more in New Mexico. Seek and find.

Edit: After tasting everything from the six pack, this one is by far the best. In a class of it's own. (1,226 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +18.9%

Another beer in the wrong style category. While this is an aged beer, it really is not a pale, or even a strong pale, it would really be better served in the sour gueuze category but hey I just drink them.
Yes I know its not a true gueuze, but Belgians tend to be hard fits into distinct styles sometimes and this beer is one of those times.

If you hate sours stay away from this great beer.

A: Pale of course, poured hard into a mug, some lacing, short lived its aged beer to be expected.

S: ahh, tart tart apples, pears, vinegar nose. some oaked mellow malt, no hops.

T: fruiting tartness, its sour apples, and cherries and malt, some yeast backend that smooths it out. Not for the faint of heart.

m: dry, champagne like, light body

D: ahh refreshing stuff, easy to drink a few, watch that ANV it sneakes up on you at 3 or 4 of these.

notes: this is a beer you hate or love, and its a acquired taste, but to us sour lovers its heaven, enjoy. (950 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last