Petrus Aged Pale - De Brabandere

Petrus Aged PalePetrus Aged Pale

De Brabandere visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.30% ABV

Developed from Petrus Oud Bruin; a paler version of a traditional local style.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-27-2001)
View: Beers (32) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Petrus Aged Pale Alström Bros
beerinNV

08-14-2012 13:32:57 | More by Satan70
becktone

1.1/5  rDev -73%

From notes 11-17-08

Eye: Into a Duvel Tulip, the back of the label has 2003 printed on it: Pretty bad pour, no head formation and bad retention once on finally got going, if you would call it that. Lacing is just as poor. Color is a cloudy pale goldish light brown.

Nose: Funk, there is definitely some funk going on in here...smells much like a farmhouse-woody, musty...well your general funk character-Ah Ha! pinned down the aroma...Red cabbage/sourkraut, the way that the germans cook it. This is the predominant aroma in the entire brew, not so sure that this is a good thing.When first cracked oak was my first thought, closer to the nose hints of a sour cherry type of aroma make it through the kraut. The woody oaky character is there behind the kraut throughout the entire aroma giving it a dry almost stale type of aroma. This one's gone south. I can tell you right now that the way this smells is by no means appealing, I don't want to drink this beer based upon the way it smells.

Tongue: Really afraid what this will be like, especially after the aroma....well here it goes! Really sour, acedic and apple cider like, too bad that this has gone south, however this was the only sample I could find. Drain-pour. I'll be looking for another sample soon. This time I'll look on the back label for a date. Luckily I didn't buy this, it came in a sampler from Petrus that was given to me as a "sampler." I'd be pissed if I paid moeny for this.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Terrible and terrible. Until I can get a new sample it shall remain here. Seriously, any beer that is above 7% should be able to age for a couple of years, especially a Belgian!

02-15-2009 22:19:41 | More by becktone
laynethiele

1.11/5  rDev -72.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Yikes! Hated this beer. Saw the barrel-aged ale on the label had myself ready for something delicous. I was sadly disappointed.

A: Looks like white grape juice.
S: Apples and grapes overwhelm
T: Sparkling sour white grape juice
M: Thin, sparkling
o: This stuff was so sour it gave me a stomach ache. Threw the last 1/4 of it out. I hated it that much. It tasted like sparkling grape juice that had gone bad. Paid $4 for a bottle would have rather thrown it in the street.

01-22-2013 22:55:45 | More by laynethiele
Joost

1.18/5  rDev -71%

By far the most disgusting stuff I have ever tasted. I am a huge beer lover but even Roseanne Barr's urine is more tasty.

Bought this is a pub in Lyon, France. Hoping this new beer was going to be good. But it almost made me puke. I love Krriek beer and Rochefort 10. This, however... was crap

Do not buy this

01-19-2013 20:04:48 | More by Joost
Hex92

1.2/5  rDev -70.5%

I'm a BIG fan of all things Belgian (beer that is). I received this as part of the Belgian Beer of the month club, and thought it was the most disgusting thing I have ever drank in my life (even worse than a Caribe Shandy). I can't believe that others have rated it so highly. The beer was so sour that I thought it had gone bad. Apparently I am not a fan of sour beers. I will definitely avoid any others I come across. The Petrus looked halfway decent in the glass, but thats the only positive thing I can say about it.

01-28-2003 11:07:32 | More by Hex92

1.25/5  rDev -69.3%

07-11-2014 00:09:11 | More by wmiracky
BeerDonkey

1.27/5  rDev -68.8%

another beer from the Christmas 6-pack. Overall the pack has been a pretty big disappointment. This one, hopefully the worst, will be poured out after a few sips.

A: 2 fingers of head soon dissipates into just a ring around the goblet. Cloudy, yellow amber liquid

S: apple cider vinegar, no hint of wood

T: Tart! Lemons, sour, but not in the way the brewer intended (even it were a Lambic or Sour Ale, which it is not), more the way you would feel if you drank some apple cider vinegar, yeah, it’s that good.

M: leaves your mouth feeling like you had sour apple dishwasher detergent in it.

Judging from the ratings others have given other people got some decent bottles. I didn’t. My guess is that air came into the barrel (although there is no hint that this has touched any wood) and turned the beer to vinegar.

03-28-2007 03:03:36 | More by BeerDonkey
Dithyramb

Maryland

1.33/5  rDev -67.3%

My second offering from BIF18. I hadn't heard of Petrus before, so I thought I'd tear into this one.

Poured a strawberry blonde color with lots of carbonation. The head died quickly and there was no lacing.

Sorry, but that is where the good times ended. The smell and flavor were sour, earthy, and animal in nature. It was painful to drink and I didn't finish it. I was making faces and gutteral noises like the losers on Fear Factor. Without a few grand sitting in the wings, I won't be tackling this brew again.

04-03-2005 20:21:00 | More by Dithyramb

jremigio

07-16-2012 00:01:28 | More by jremigio
DogFood11

1.65/5  rDev -59.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Poured into a tulip. My last offering in the gift style package from petrus. It has really aggressive carbonation and so you have to be gentle with this one. Golden body that is somewhat hazed up.

This is one tart son of a bitch. Pucker up for this one. First drink is a shock to the palate. After some thought trying to piece this together the predominant theme is green cherries. Very young cherries mixed with an ever fading kendling just slightly in the backdrop. Alot of similarities to a dry white wine. A fairly one dimensional beer from my vantage point.

Notes: I enjoy a tart brew. This is just overbearing and one dimensional.

11-09-2006 04:53:55 | More by DogFood11
MIrvine

1.75/5  rDev -57%

07-29-2013 20:02:37 | More by MIrvine
potownbill

1.83/5  rDev -55%

This is my first review and I have sampled dozens of beers trying to develope a consistant feel for the taste, appearance, smell, and mouthfeel. Not having a sufficient number of tastes under my belt, I have not written any reviews, but I am compelled to review this beer.
Appearance: Nice golden yellow, slightly cloudy with a good off white head. Great first impression
Smell: Nail polish remover. Strong acidic smell.
Taste: Very tart. Is this lemonaid or beer?
Mouthfeel. Who cares. The taste killed the moment.
Summary: First beer I've dumped down the drain. This is the first of a 6 beer Petrus sampler box. I hope the rest are better, aka drinkable.

02-12-2007 00:09:03 | More by potownbill
JoanS

1.85/5  rDev -54.5%

I ordered this thinking is would be a more like my favorite Allagash Curieaux. I was shockingly disappointed. It was like drinking a tart lemonade. Not at all what I wanted tonight. I see the other reviews and i think maybe i was served the wrong beer at the Original Gravity Pub in San Jose. ??

It was a clear bright yellow, no head, tart beyond my liking. My dinner partner could not even swallow it.

Again, not sure if it was the beer or the pourer.

02-24-2013 07:28:22 | More by JoanS