Petrus Aged Pale - De Brabandere

Petrus Aged PalePetrus Aged Pale

De Brabandere visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.30% ABV

Developed from Petrus Oud Bruin; a paler version of a traditional local style.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Petrus Aged Pale Alström Bros

2.1/5  rDev -48.5%

This was a bargain belgian ale, which I've learned is not a good way to choose.

It pour a rather ravishing golden - almost a Sparkling Cider golden, with a rather curious amount of carbonation. It was pretty, but odd.

The aroma was purely apple. Beyond the point that it should.

The taste was a horridly strong apple. I'm sure there were supposed to be other flavors, it was an ale, after all. But I never found them. All I got was apple. Not the slight-windfall cidery apple you normally get in a Belgian, but a predominantly apple cider mix with a little bit of peary.

Poured the bulk of this one out.

2.1/5  rDev -48.5%

A: Lovely honey golden hue, two fingers of lively white head. So clear and crisp looking. To me, this is the best part of the beer.

S: Smells like vinegar. Strong vinegar. Slight sweetness. Can't really find anything else.

T: Wow. I almost coughed up my first sip it was so tart. It's like drinking a big juicy granny smith apple covered in vinegar. The more you drink it, the easier it gets to drink, but still intense.

M: Very light, but not pleasant in my opinion. Decent carbonation for an aged beer.

O: Holy cow. This stuff will put hair on your chest. This was my first sour, and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to venture into this realm. I was hoping to get hooked on sours since I'm getting sick of big stouts and hop bombs, but I guess not. I can see why people would like this, but it's not my cup of beer.

2.23/5  rDev -45.3%

I was very highly disappointed with this beer. There is not really anything good that I can say about it. It poured to a clear strawberry blonde color with very little head that faded to absolutely nothing. The smell and taste were horrid, like drinking vinegar straight. I ended up pouring this out less than half way through. I never thought I would see the day where I wasn't even able to finish a beer. As bad as they are, I've always been able to finish a cheap macro lager, but not this, which was unfortunately rather costly as it is a belgian import. I would definitely not recommend it.

2.24/5  rDev -45.1%

Not my cup of tea . Stouts and ipa's please

2.25/5  rDev -44.9%

2.33/5  rDev -42.9%

Pours out a hazy gold beer with a one finger head. Moderately carbonated.Sweet /yeasty smell,, different cant quite pinpoint it. WHOA,,the taste. Nothing like ive ever had before. Ive never had this style and i dont really like this taste. Very tart,,nothing i recognize. Dont rely on my opinion,,this could be a style you like,,but its not for me.

2.33/5  rDev -42.9%

Was given a bottle of this as a present. I knew nothing at all about it beyond what was on the bottle.

S: Starting with smell because I sniffed it after opening it. Overpoweringly vinegary - so much so I thought there was something wrong with it, so of course I came here to check. Turns out it is, of course, a sour style. Nonetheless, it was very strong and not in a particularly pleasing way for me.

A: Looks can be deceiving - it could have been any anonymous pale ale but for the tiny yet persistent pieces of sediment dancing around the bubbles. Not unattractive at all.

T: I just couldn't get myself to enjoy it. I tried and tried, but where I looked for apple I found vinegar, and where I looked for sweetness I found just... sweet vinegar. Since it seems to be almost universally praised I can't say it tasted *bad*, just that it didn't taste good to me personally. If you like the style, chances are you'll like this one. But if (like me) you consider yourself a fan of sour foods and drinks it doesn't automatically mean you'll appreciate this.

M: Honestly, I barely remember, and I only tried it fifteen minutes ago. Not memorable in a good or bad way, but that's because I was so overpowered by the taste.

It may be felt that I'm being harsh with my rating but it needs to be taken into account that even fans of the style are calling this one amazingly sour, and that if it's sent to mass market with that level of acidity it's not going to appeal to everyone. I consider myself adventurous but this wasn't for me at all.

2.38/5  rDev -41.7%

2.38/5  rDev -41.7%

Clear sun golden body with good carbonation. The white head with a yellow tint doesn't stay long but does leave some decent lace.
Very sour grainy scent, just enough malt and bread to be noticed.
Vinegar comes to mind with the first sip of this beer, then sharp citrus which lasts into the aftertaste.
Medium body and somewhat dry and puckering.
Not what I understand a Belgian strong pale ale is supposed to be and not a repeat for me.

-Oelergud

2.4/5  rDev -41.2%

A - this belgian pale ale is most definitely pale. it pours a BMC golden color, that kegstand pale yellow color, with a thin white head with rather good retention and plenty of carbonation

S - this beer smells very champagnesque, liek white muscat grapes, a bit like Midas Touch's grapes, then again, a deeper whiffs reveal lemon and ... vinegar

T - yup vinegar... way to sour, sure slightly champagnesque with some white grape hints, but it tastes more like apple cider vinegar, again, too sour for me, but i didnt pour it

M&D - lively and light on the tongue, but again, too sour to be even moderately drinkable, not a fan

2.58/5  rDev -36.8%

Pours Golden yellow into a tuplip glass

Good head, though rather quickly dissipating

tastes overwhelmingly sour to the exclusion of all else

i let it warm up some more for about 15 minutes,
the malt came out a little, but still far too unbalanced towards the sour with the kind of taste I would expect in fizzy lemon juice

this is not a beer I would buy again

2.63/5  rDev -35.5%

Pours a pale golden hue with a light foamy head. Smells like it tastes: very acidic, with some citrusy notes. Very gueuze-like. Best served somewhere between room and fridge temperature, the flavor blooms as it warms. I don't know, I'm not really a fan of this one. It did pair well with some fresh mozzerella, with the acidity contrasting nicely with the softness of the cheese. Still, there's not much there, just a mouthfull of bitterness.

Petrus Aged Pale from De Brabandere