Petrus Aged Pale - De Brabandere

Petrus Aged PalePetrus Aged Pale

De Brabandere visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  7.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-27-2001

Petrus Aged Pale is a 100% beer from our foeders. Michael Jackson, the beer hunter, chose the name in the late 1990s – and he was the first to sell this beer in his beer clubs. Today, it is still the reference for sour beers in the US. Petrus Aged Pale has won multiple gold medals in beer competitions worldwide. Moreover, ever since the start of the brewery, the beer has been used as a blending-beer with other beers to give them fresh, slightly sour flavors and aromas.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Petrus Aged Pale Alström Bros
Reviews: 679 | Hads: 2,294
2.73/5  rDev -31.9%

Pours a clear-ish gold with a small white head.

Smells of a non-descript acidity, and some fruitiness - apple. Maybe like a cider. It's a familiar smell, but I just can't quite pin it down.

Taste - wow, sour. I can feel my teeth melting. Bright, fruity. Again, I'm thinking cider. Burns on the way down, like drinking vinegar. Not my thing. No hops, or malt; not really much complexity there.

Mouthfeel is bright and effervescent. Very dry. Thin. The acid is strong, burning.

Actually, I do think this would be a moderately refreshing drink, it's clean and bright.

I've got two bottles of this. the second one, I think, might be a good candidate for cooking. The bright acidity and slight fruitiness might really add some nice character to a stew, tomato sauce, or something else.

2.75/5  rDev -31.4%

A clear apricot colored ale with a notable amount of chill haze. A medium sized white head forms and then disappears.

The smell is sweet and sour with a little boozy edge much like a diluted Jack Daniel’s whiskey. There is the clear and sharp scent of acetic acid to this and this makes it a little Lambic like. I should mention that in general I am not a fan of sour beers. Once past the vinegar smell there is vanilla, oak, and a little cinnamon in the scent.

The taste starts as sweet and sour and fairly similar to a sweeter and less harsh version of a lambic ale. The sourness however isn't nausea inducing and I do not get the sensation of drinking a glass of vinegar like many Lambics do. This is a definite bug beer for those who like the funk. Not harshly sour this is like a Berliner Weiss without syrup. In the end all I can taste is sweet and sour and oak.

The mouthfeel is OK.

If you do not like sour beers then you will not like this. If I had known that this was a sour beer I would not have bought it so buyer beware. This is basically a training lambic for those that wish to develop a taste for them. I will not be buying this beer again I did not like it.

2.76/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured into my DHF chalice.

A - Pours a honey/copper color. Poured rather cloudy and I was careful not to empty the dregs into the glass. Minimal white rocky head. Quickly disapates to a thin white layer. Some minimal white lacing. Average carbonation.

A - Sour, spice, faint sour milk, musty.

T - Sour, stomach acid pukey taste - quite a shock to the system, faint sweetness up front with strong sour in the finish.

MF - Fizzy and sharp on the palate.

O - Too sour for me. I like my flanders with a bit more sweetness for balance. A sipping beer. No swiling this brew.

2.9/5  rDev -27.7%

A golden yellow, slightly hazy Belgian Ale with a small white head that stays to the finish. There is a sourness to the smell with a bubblegum undertone. The taste is most definitely sour, peppery, with a citrus bitter finish. It is very winey tasting also. It has an overall firmness in my mouth. This ale definitely tastes much better after it warms up a bit, to its proper drinking temperature, when cold it tastes very sour and almost vinegary. It is very complex, and I definitely liked it better as it got warmer, even then it still has a sour taste (it kind of grows on you though, at least it did to me). Not my favorite but, I think this ale is more of an acquired taste.

(source: Great Beers of Belgium)

2.93/5  rDev -26.9%

Purchased a 11.2 fl oz bottle that produced a hazy, golden colored body with almost no head whatsoever and no lace. The immediate taste that came to my mind when first trying this beer was a resemblance to grains with some sourness. Like some of the other Petrus beers, it has some taste, but eventually fades into something that can only be defined as watery. I wouldn't buy this beer again, but I'm not disappointed that I bought it. It lacks character, but it isn't offensive.

2.93/5  rDev -26.9%

Served in a champagne flute at a local beer tasting event.

A: Clear golden. Nice thick head with lots of bubbly effervescence.

S: Sour lemony aroma with a little woody oak tones.

T: Very, very tart, almost like a sour candy with vinegar. I'm not an expert in this category, and I realize it's intended to have this tartness, but it was a bit much for my taste. I wasn't picking up any of the woody notes from aging in barrel -- I just get sourness.

M: Medium bodied, maybe even a bit thin on the palate.

D: I would think it's best served perhaps as an apertif before a meal. I wouldn't think it would go well with most foods. Not my favorite, but it's interesting to try.

7.3 ABV
11.2 oz Brown Bottle $4.50 State Street Northampton MA
Appearance: Forms a head on pouring
Hazy golden color
Head disappears almost immediately leaving bubbles around the rim

Smell: Tangy and a little funky - not like fruit

Flavor: very tart at first a little acidy, finishes dry with a little aftertaste in the back of my throat
Maybe a little woody - a little like an unripe green grape

Overall: 3/5 I like the price and the ease of acquiring, it is fun to drink one bottle.
I would not ask for a second bottle in one sitting as it is too sour for more than one.
I'm burping acid a little bit.

This is my first time trying a beer of this style. It was recommended as a good gateway to Flemish sours.

A: Poured into a snifter. Faint head. Bright golden color.

S: Very acidic wine-like smell. The aroma is unlike any beer I've ever drank. This will be interesting...

T: This tastes like a very sour candy like a Warhead or biting directly into a lemon. Very very tart.

M: Moderate carbonation. The sourness hangs around a while. It's overwhelming at first but then becomes tolerable.

O: This tastes like how the style is described but it just isn't for me. I'll give another one a try at some point but I won't be seeking one of these out again soon.

I find it weird that there is a beer writer by the name of Michael Jackson. I guess I just can’t get past MJ being the best entertainer ever to walk planet earth. Regardless, this particular Michael walked into the brewery and demanded that this beer, this barrel beer, be bottled. I am on a kick right now with the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, which is one of the best tasting beers I have had… in a long time. Maybe this one will compete.

This is a BIG bottle. Basically a wine bottle. We were able to get two pints out of one bottle. And if I do recall, it wasn’t very expensive. I want to say it was only $6 a bottle. In the glass, the beer looks like a good pale, perhaps a sweet IPA. There isn’t much nose on this brew, perhaps a hint of wet bitterness toward the end… but nothing too exciting. Wonder what it tastes like.

The beer starts with a ton of carbonation on the front of the palate, then you are punched in the side of the head with sour… I am talking a handful of Sweet Tarts sour. Holy crap, that is SOUR! And the sour continues well into the aftertaste. After tasting it, and smelling it again, you can somewhat pick that up on the nose.

I wouldn’t say it’s bad… I mean, it doesn’t taste like an ale. But I wouldn’t say it’s bad by any means. It’s just not what I expected. Especially since the beer says pale on the side of the label. This isn’t your typical pale. But like I said, it’s not bad… it’s just not what you would expect when looking at the bottle or seeing it sit in the glass.

*Beware… this beer is VERY sour. If you don’t like sour stuff, stay away!

Tart citrus lemon lime flavor start to finish. As I drank, I kept thinking this lemonade could use some sugar...
If you like to squeeze lemon/lime into your beer you should love this! No fresh lemon/lime slice needed.

A nice kick to it though.

3.05/5  rDev -23.9%

Little to no head although a thick ring of bubbles forms on the surface perimeter. The body is a hazy, pale gold. Not the most appealing beer I’ve seen but it has its nice points.

Yikes! A strong vinegar scent, balsamic in nature, attacks the nose with a definite sour cherry presence tagging along.

That’s what I was expecting; absolutely a sour ale, not a Belgian Pale, as the bottle seems to indicate. Strong vinegar flavor with a surprising malt taste on the finish. For a sour, it actually finishes fairly clean, with only a moderate lingering taste.

Only moderately carbonated with a rather thin texture. This isn’t all that great a drinking experience, probably would stop at one.

3.06/5  rDev -23.7%

Pours a three finger white head that fades to a ring leaving a good lace. Pale, cloudy amber color. Light-medium carbonation and light-medium bodied. Sour apple nose. Flavor is sour apples from start to finish, hops and malts stay hidden. True to Flemish sour ale style, drinkable but not my favorite. $4.90 for a 330ml bottle from Liquid Solutions Tigard, Or.

3.06/5  rDev -23.7%

Poured a clear golden color with thin white head that dissolves quickly. Nose has a funky aroma of sour, tart light fruit, sugar, oak and champagne. Taste has sour earthy oak taste with hints of light crisp fruit. Very carbonated with nice dry finish. It was ok but not something I would seek out again for sure.

3.08/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into tulip glass..dark yellow with quickly dissappeared head...looks like apple juice. Smells of citrus..and formaldahyde.

Tastes of sour patch kids with a dose of laffy taffy. Definately an acquired taste that I'm not sure I have acquired but is good for style. Definately a slow sipping beer.. not for sessioning.

Since my beer no head with minimal lacing, I will try another once I have the chance...but taste wise, my beer tasted fresh.

3.08/5  rDev -23.2%

Pale golden in my very tall Petrus tulip. Looks just like a lager. Some sudsy head and moderately prickly on the tongue. A whiff of vinegrette dressing in the nose.

A distinct sourness surprises the palate-- mine at least-- wich gradually mellows to part of the complexity. Thin and sharp. Some sweet and sour flavors. Funky fruitiness, but no yeast flavor as in some other Belgian styles. Quite bitter aftertaste and rather woody. I would have to taste a few more beers in this category to see what possibilities there are. It seems like a curiosity rather than something I'd want to try again.

From the big Belgian-style bottle.

3.08/5  rDev -23.2%

Appearance: Light golden color. Head is large, but quickly diminshes. Head is pure white tiny little bubbles. The beer is gold in color but quite hazy.

Smell: You can smell the sour on this beer. Smells of apples and other sweet fruits. Slight floral aroma.

Taste: Sour. I'm not much a of Belgian ale drinker, so this didn't sit too well with me. Sweet after flavors of apple.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated, but in a good way. Feels like champagne in your mouth. It's not thick but obviously thicker than water.

Drinkability: For someone that doesn't drink many Belgian ale's I don't recoment this beer. It's not a good start into the belgian world, just a little rough, unless you like the sour. I feel that I failed this beer. It's much too good for my non-sophisticated pallet. :( I'll work on it.

3.17/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours a clear medium to dark yellow with a quarter inch head that reduces to half of that and then persists.

Smell is of light citrus and cow barn. Not optimistic at this point.

Taste is acidic up front but it mellows to interesting crisp fruit flavor, apples and citrus.

Mouth feel is light and crisp,with long lasting bubbles.

Overall, I wouldn't need to revisit this offering very often.

3.18/5  rDev -20.7%

Pours a one finger frothy white head over a golden-copper body. Decent head retention. Aromas of tart citrus fruit, Belgian yeast, and a tinge of malt in the background. The flavor is quite tart and sour up front, but quickly gives way to a strong oaky, almost tequila like character. Crisp bitterness. Fairly low carbonation for a Belgian ale. Low sweetness too—quite dry.

This is a crazy fellow with some serious funk. I found the oak character to be a bit overpowering out of the starting gate, but things tend to meld a bit better as it warmed. I don't usually mind a tart and funky brew, but I guess I just couldn’t get over the lingering tequila character (I’m not a fan of the spirit). Definitely worth a try--- at least once.

3.21/5  rDev -20%

Appearance: Quickly dissipating, eggshell white head, with spotted and crusty lacing. Opaque straw color.

Nose: Baking soda, cherries, and clean wood chips/lumber, and pineapple.

Taste: Sour and perfectly carbonated. A malt backbone that saves your tastebuds. A little bit of vanilla and oak.

Notes: It is very subtle and gentle, especially for a sour. I am not a fan of sour beers, but I found myself more interested in this with every sip.
Perhaps a perfect introduction to sour beers?

3.22/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a Flying Dog goblet

A: A nice hazy, almost cloudy blonde color with a tiny bubble.

S: Tart and yeasty yet again. Smells like pears and apples.

T: Wow, that surprised me. It is the most sour and tart beer I have had as of yet. You could say it is similar to a kind of vinegar, like a cheap apple cider one. Not what I was expecting.

M: Slight bit of carbonation but you can't really pay attention to it because you are preoccupied with the tartness, which completely preoccupies your tastebuds and mind.

O: If this is what I can expect from a strong/good "sour" then they might not be my favorite. I prefer kind of a sweet tartness or a very carbonated one like a kombucha. I like stuff closer to Rodenbach Classic. Not for me and I love apple cider.

3.25/5  rDev -19%

Asked the guy who worked at our local liquor store for his best sour, he stated this was his "go to for sours". Matured in oak barrels for 20 months. Thought we'd give it a try.

Appearance - Clear, sunflower yellow with a white head with a medium rate of dissipation, some lacing small head remains.

Smell: Dank, citrus, acidic, funky hay

Taste - Not overwhelmingly sour, citrusy (lemon, grapefruit), vinegar, oak tannins

Mouth Feel: moderately carbonated, light mouthfeel, crisp

Would be a great summer beer, not too sour. I personally prefer a more berry based sour. Probably not my "go to".

Food Pairings: Dirty grapes and chicken. WhamBam!

3.26/5  rDev -18.7%

This was only my second Flemish sour, and I was not nearly as impressed with this as my first--Verhaeghe Duchesse De Bourgogne. Poured to a golden pale vcolor wityh medium fluffy, head, decent lacing and lots of carbonation. But whereas the Duchesse was a nice mix of sour early, and sweet later on, this was strictly sour, from start to finish. Aroma of sour green apples and vinegar, carried over into the taste and finally the finish. I actually like Flemish Sours, but this one is not my favorite.

3.28/5  rDev -18.2%

A: Pours a clear golden/orange color. A pillowing two finger white head forms with good retention. Sticky lace is left behind.
S: Tart fruits of lemon and orange. Vinegar and sweet malt. Musky and dank.
T: Mouth puckering tart, sour lemon flavor. Sweet malt and vinegar.
M/D: A medium body that is crisp and refreshing. The alcohol and tartness makes the bottle a little harder to drink than I would like. A one and done.

I love me some sour beers. Though this is a little one dimensional. Basically just tart and sour lemons. Not much is going on. Not something I am going to get again.

3.3/5  rDev -17.7%

Clear, peachy-gold in hue with just a tickle of amber interwoven. There is no animation yet a bubbly white head of one finger in height formed. Not surprisingly the head retention was fair, at best. Before long the head fizzled to a loose cap, soapy with naked pockets. Subsequent lacing was spotty. The appearance is pleasant but dull. The nose is vibrantly acidic, awesome! Sharp lemony notes dominant, hints of wood at the back. There is some distant spice and alcohol. Peppery. Minty. Light yeasty funk. Everything aside from the acidity is light to faint in potency. While I can’t call the nose complex, I can’t call it simplistic either. It is very inviting with enough layers to damn near force me to drink. Well, the nose didn’t lie. The palate is very acidic. My first sip shocked me a bit. I got over it, needless to say. Lemony flavors developed, dry in the middle, woody too with faint hints of pepper and mint. Right before the finish there is a juicy burst but the finish is dry and quick to end. Overall the palate is lackluster as there isn’t much going on. Sure I like what I taste but I want more of it and more complementary flavors as well. I must complement the fact that I can’t taste the alcohol. The very light carbonation is noticeable and more is needed. Medium in body but it feels a bit too light. Empty. Also the aftertaste is too clean, did I just sip a Belgium ale? My mouth says no. Overall, this beer doesn’t impress me at all. I don’t think I’ll bother with this one again as there are many better beers akin to this one. For some unknown reason I put off sampling this beer since February. I bought my bottle in Iowa City. Disappointing.

3.3/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours a slightly hazy gold color, with a one finger head that quickly falls. A ring around the brim of the glass remains, as well as a bit of lacing.

This beer smells interesting. Sour apple, dirty leather, raspberries, and vinegar come to mind. Very different nose, and not one that I was expecting at all.

The flavor of this beer again, is totally unexpected. I was prepared for a oak aged belgian pale.... not a flemish sour. Positively sour, althoughmore rounded than others. Good green apple flavor, backed by a hint of malt. Clean finish that dissapates completely, aside from the little bit of "tang" left over from the acidity. Nice flavor, although I find the tartness to be a little much. The oak and vanilla flavors pop out in the finish, but I don't taste them before that. I personally think this would be a little better if this were partially blended with a fresh batch to tame the tartness just a little bit.

Mouthfeel is light and thin, while drinkability is a bit slow, due to the high acidity.

Good overall, but I would not consider this a belgian pale. Way too sour for that category, and I really think it tastes more like a flemish red... reminds me a lot of Rodenbach Grand Cru. A good beer, but should be labeled for what it is....

Petrus Aged Pale from De Brabandere