Petrus Aged Pale - De Brabandere

Petrus Aged PalePetrus Aged Pale

De Brabandere visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-27-2001

Developed from Petrus Oud Bruin; a paler version of a traditional local style.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Petrus Aged Pale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,213 | Reviews: 685
4.23/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Served from 750ml bottle

A — Pours a light yellow color into the glass. There is a light white colored head on it, though there is minimal lacing left behind.

S — Smells of tart lemon, fresh grass, bit of lime, green apple, sour, fresh and bright.

T — Tastes like a great champagne, very bright, lightly tart, refreshing.

M — Medium bodied, high carbonation, very easy drinking.

O — Great overall, really not sure how I slept on this one for so long. This is a total benchmark sour.

4.08/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into a Mikasa tulip. Pours with a half finger's worth of white foam that dissipates to a quarter's worth within 30 seconds. Dull gold in color. Bubbles are scarce. Has strong sour yeast, mild green apple and oak, and subtle cherry, coriander, and peach aromas. Initial taste is full on simultaneous ambush of all the flavors there were sensed as smells with a differing magnitude in taste: strong green apple and sour yeast; mild oak, cherry, peach, coriander, and smoke flavors (not sure where that smoke came from (magic?)). Medium bodied, mild carbonation, with a crisp finish. A great oud bruin! Definitely will buy this again, but try it in a snifter next time when I do.

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

An excellent soul Belgian ale that is fresh to the pallet and refreshing to drink.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a disturbingly clear yellow, gold with a one finger white head that doesn't stuck around long enough to enjoy the party. The nose is my favorite aspect of this beer.its sour up front with a 7up sweetness it the background. It also has a wooden, unripe apricot smell that I look for in sour beers. The flavor is nice and enjoyable, but it lacks the extreme sour that I have grown to long for. Overall, this is quite a nice beer. I just wish it were a little more aggressive.

4.44/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great sour front, clean and tangy. Finish is smooth, not overly malted and stays on the pallets several minutes growing slightly more sour as it sits on the tongue. Great sour, would recommend.

4.41/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From 11.2oz bottle into Surly Teku:

Pours a brilliant golden straw with just a tinge of orange. Big fluffy 1+ finger white head that sits...and sits....and sits...and it's just not going away! Billowy and chunky. Beautiful.

Nose hits with a nice sourness that shows notes of apple, cherry, a touch of wood, and faint hit of smokiness. A little bit of lemon and coriander as well. Complex. Nice.

Mouth feel is more viscous than anticipated, but the good bit of prickly effervescence really carries it along to prevent it from weighing anything down. Taste is big and sour. A nice acidity leads the way to gentle, rindy lemon and grapefruit notes that play with a bit of apple and a, perhaps expected, firm bit of woody bitterness and slightly barnyardy funk.

A really nice, effortless drinker of a sour. Really hides its 7.3%. The light-enough body sends this right down the hatch while the acidity keeps you refreshed and the fruity/woody complexity keeps you interested. Great beer. Will keep buying from time to time.

4.06/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Very nice smooth drink. For a sour it's not the best I've had. But still appreciate the aromas and the slight bitterness. I'll would try it again.

Tart citrus lemon lime flavor start to finish. As I drank, I kept thinking this lemonade could use some sugar...
If you like to squeeze lemon/lime into your beer you should love this! No fresh lemon/lime slice needed.

A nice kick to it though.

3.13/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Far too sharp for my taste.

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Smells slightly tart, and has an apple, citrus tart flavor. New to the style and wasn't expecting the flavor. Good overall. Good light mouthfeel that lingers the tart Apple notws

4.02/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very pale golden blonde colour, one finger of white head with some lace. Smell is sharp and acidic, fruity, lemon and green apple, whit wine oak and some funk. Taste is fruity and acidic, lemon, green apple and vinous wine, quite sour with a puckering tartness, dry finish and a mineral aftertaste. Medium high carbonation, spritzy and dry, medium body. Solid stuff here, I had mixed expectations going into this but it was quite good and very well priced, a hard combination to beat.

far and away my favorite beer

Very clean sour.

4.02/5  rDev -1.5%

Smells like and tastes like a fresh batch of wort. Very grainy. I like the beer, but mostly like how it reminds me of brew day when making homebrew. It’s fairly sweet.

4.67/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A very clear and bright gold. The foam wasn't excessive but has a lot of retaining power. Lacing? For sure.

Geez, this smells good if you are a sour beer fan and don't mind some horse blanket permeating your nose buds.

I am deliberately trying to pull some of that funk out of my first few sips and I can but make no mistake, this one's all about the sour and quite a bit about the bitter.

On the sour scale shown on the label, 1 to 5, this comes in at a 5. I believe it and I relish in it.

I would call it close to medium bodied with a solid but not outrageous level of carbonation.

Dang this is good. On or at least at the level of your beers from Cantillion, De Cam, Tilquin, Gerard. .

More please!

4.82/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bought this beer as it peaked my interest.

A: Looks like a wheat beer. Golden amber gold which you can't see through. Minimal head.

S: Vinegar, sour lemon, grape.

T: Same as nose; lemon, sour, vinegar, grapes, white wine, minimal hop finish.

M: Great carbonation!

O: Great beer! Never had this style before and I really enjoy it! Something I will go back to and get again.

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Sour dough bread and vinegar on the nose, hazy amber color, small amout of fine lace, minimal head, effervescent, sour on the palate, thin mouth feel. But it's mostly like a sledgehammer soaked in turpentine. So bready, doughy, vinegary, fizzy, resinous, and shockingly understated when you think about everything that's going on here. If I didn't want to drink this, I could probably use it to remove my nail polish. Possible cure for malaria.

2.44/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Much better options out there, this one fell flat for me.

4.14/5  rDev +1.5%

330ml bottle into small snifter. best before "11/12/16", enjoyed on april 1, 2015

a: a very clear pale yellow against the light with minimal white head. very lager-like, but without the copious amounts of bubbles floating upward

s: oak barrel! wood, tartness, mild funk, white wine, lemon, somewhat malty. this is a very inviting nose as none of the characteristics are too aggressive

t: sour lemon up front, quickly followed by pale/lager malt flavours. vinous white grapes come in the mid-palate, but in general, there aren't many fruity characteristics here. a lingering finish consisting of a moderate hoppy bitterness, earthy wood notes, and funky tartness

m: moderate carbonation in a light-to-medium body, very fitting

o: not as fruity as i would like, but still an excellent sour beer

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

sour lemon/apple aroma. Light refreshing base with good acidity level. tart green apple flavor

4.74/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My, oh my! Just when I thought I was an obedient beer minion....

I wandered into a tap house in Oceanside, Ca around noon looking for something new to try. After scanning the rather extensive menu of tap options, I noticed the category of aged ales/sours and picked the only one listed. I had no idea of what to expect as I have never tried an aged ale. The word "sour" intrigued me and I was feeling good on vacation and adventurous.

The ale was placed on my table in a thin wine glass with a wide mouth and poured half full. I stared down at about 4 oz of a very pale yellow mystery that subtly scared me. I don't exactly know why it seemed intimidating. Perhaps it was because it was not what I had expected it to look like or maybe I was afraid that I was being watched in part of a gruesome experiment upon unsuspecting patrons that were brave enough to order such a calamity.

There was no head other than a thin ring clinging to the sides. I put my nose into the glass and took a timid sniff. What kind of beast was this?

The smell was funky. Funky as in unrecognizable. Sure the sour note was readily present but there was a strange feeling of being dragged back about 400 years (I'm not kidding). I could tell there had been a war between the physics of nature and time. The quiet battlefield and it's casualties now lay in my glass.

There was no going back. I quickly glanced around to make sure there wasn't a team of medics waiting in case something went wrong and wiped my sweaty palms on my lap.

The first sip revealed the anticipated sourness; a sour with an acidic feel. The intensity very quickly gave way to another realm of complexity; notes of old wood and earth were crisp through the nose after swallowing. My palate danced back and forth between the acidic feel and sour, aged funkiness. The finish was mostly dry akin to a brut champagne. In fact, this brew reminds me of an expensive champagne. The carbonation bites in a rough way but also a little flirty.

This concoction is a "sipper" though it has a very light mouth feel but it is ample in flavor. It can be enjoyed like a blind date with promise. It was served cold but even as the contents warmed a little it remained sassy.

I later found this brew at a local store and it beckons me from time to time. A mistress in a bottle.

2.49/5  rDev -39%

I wanted to like it due to all the great reviews it has, however i personally found it rather unpalatable. Slightly sweet, mostly bitter, odd fizz, tart smell (similar to Prosecco or Champagne)

1.52/5  rDev -62.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Pours clear yellow with half a finger of head.
Vinegar and lemon hints in the smell.
Pungent sour vinegar Taste to start, followed by a more subtle lemon flavour, quite sour but smooths out.
Taste caught me off guard, it's definitely an acquired one. Personally not for me but glad I tried it.

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Very pale and clear.
Muted aromas, but the taste as wonderfully balanced, sour and restrained. Lemons to the fore, and oak.
Mouthfeel somewhat light, but really nice drinking al in all.

4.81/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Starts with a lemony, citrusy tart nose with traces of vinegar. It pours a rich gold, sour on the nose, 1” head dissipates to a film, leaves fine lace. Big lemony palate supported by traces of light fruit sweetness balancing between plum and cherry and a hint of vanilla. Slight oak astringency and a hop accent on the finish.

4.27/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

330 ml bottle served cool into a glass. Purchased from LBCO for $2.00 CDN. Excited to try this style for only the second time (Liefmans Goudenband).

Appearance - Clear, pale golden color capped by a half finger of quickly disappearing white head. Very few bubbles are visible as the beer looks quite flat overall. Some lacing left behind.

Smell - Wow, extremely rich vinous like quality, reminiscent of good champagne. There's also a sweet floral and raspberry undercurrent upon repeated whiffs. A slight earthy dankness to the whole beer as well I'm guessing from the oak barrels. I can't wait to try this.

Taste - The grapey vinousness to this beer shows up, some mild salt and tartness to the beer as well. Earthy sourness throughout, but in a refined and delicate way. Alcohol is imperceptible. Nice acidity, but not overkill.

Mouthfeel - Lacking in carbonation, but that's to be expected with the style. Moderately bodied although light for a higher ABV beer, it finishes lip puckeringly dry and the relatively mild acidity makes this very drinkable.

Overall - A great little beer, that probably serves as a nice gateway to sours, the smell and taste profile on this are awesome, and I'm wishing I had picked up a couple more. In fact this is good enough to warrant a beer run all on its own.

Petrus Aged Pale from De Brabandere