Petrus Aged Pale - De Brabandere

Petrus Aged PalePetrus Aged Pale

De Brabandere visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-27-2001

Developed from Petrus Oud Bruin; a paler version of a traditional local style.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,139 | Reviews: 668
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

4.14/5  rDev +1.5%

330ml bottle into small snifter. best before "11/12/16", enjoyed on april 1, 2015

a: a very clear pale yellow against the light with minimal white head. very lager-like, but without the copious amounts of bubbles floating upward

s: oak barrel! wood, tartness, mild funk, white wine, lemon, somewhat malty. this is a very inviting nose as none of the characteristics are too aggressive

t: sour lemon up front, quickly followed by pale/lager malt flavours. vinous white grapes come in the mid-palate, but in general, there aren't many fruity characteristics here. a lingering finish consisting of a moderate hoppy bitterness, earthy wood notes, and funky tartness

m: moderate carbonation in a light-to-medium body, very fitting

o: not as fruity as i would like, but still an excellent sour beer

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

sour lemon/apple aroma. Light refreshing base with good acidity level. tart green apple flavor

4.16/5  rDev +2%

3.99/5  rDev -2.2%

4.74/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My, oh my! Just when I thought I was an obedient beer minion....

I wandered into a tap house in Oceanside, Ca around noon looking for something new to try. After scanning the rather extensive menu of tap options, I noticed the category of aged ales/sours and picked the only one listed. I had no idea of what to expect as I have never tried an aged ale. The word "sour" intrigued me and I was feeling good on vacation and adventurous.

The ale was placed on my table in a thin wine glass with a wide mouth and poured half full. I stared down at about 4 oz of a very pale yellow mystery that subtly scared me. I don't exactly know why it seemed intimidating. Perhaps it was because it was not what I had expected it to look like or maybe I was afraid that I was being watched in part of a gruesome experiment upon unsuspecting patrons that were brave enough to order such a calamity.

There was no head other than a thin ring clinging to the sides. I put my nose into the glass and took a timid sniff. What kind of beast was this?

The smell was funky. Funky as in unrecognizable. Sure the sour note was readily present but there was a strange feeling of being dragged back about 400 years (I'm not kidding). I could tell there had been a war between the physics of nature and time. The quiet battlefield and it's casualties now lay in my glass.

There was no going back. I quickly glanced around to make sure there wasn't a team of medics waiting in case something went wrong and wiped my sweaty palms on my lap.

The first sip revealed the anticipated sourness; a sour with an acidic feel. The intensity very quickly gave way to another realm of complexity; notes of old wood and earth were crisp through the nose after swallowing. My palate danced back and forth between the acidic feel and sour, aged funkiness. The finish was mostly dry akin to a brut champagne. In fact, this brew reminds me of an expensive champagne. The carbonation bites in a rough way but also a little flirty.

This concoction is a "sipper" though it has a very light mouth feel but it is ample in flavor. It can be enjoyed like a blind date with promise. It was served cold but even as the contents warmed a little it remained sassy.

I later found this brew at a local store and it beckons me from time to time. A mistress in a bottle.

4.12/5  rDev +1%

3.47/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.27/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.81/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.19/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.49/5  rDev -39%

I wanted to like it due to all the great reviews it has, however i personally found it rather unpalatable. Slightly sweet, mostly bitter, odd fizz, tart smell (similar to Prosecco or Champagne)

1.52/5  rDev -62.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Pours clear yellow with half a finger of head.
Vinegar and lemon hints in the smell.
Pungent sour vinegar Taste to start, followed by a more subtle lemon flavour, quite sour but smooths out.
Taste caught me off guard, it's definitely an acquired one. Personally not for me but glad I tried it.

4.31/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

3.99/5  rDev -2.2%

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Very pale and clear.
Muted aromas, but the taste as wonderfully balanced, sour and restrained. Lemons to the fore, and oak.
Mouthfeel somewhat light, but really nice drinking al in all.

3.4/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

3.33/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.81/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Starts with a lemony, citrusy tart nose with traces of vinegar. It pours a rich gold, sour on the nose, 1” head dissipates to a film, leaves fine lace. Big lemony palate supported by traces of light fruit sweetness balancing between plum and cherry and a hint of vanilla. Slight oak astringency and a hop accent on the finish.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Petrus Aged Pale from De Brabandere