Petrus Aged Pale - De Brabandere

Petrus Aged PalePetrus Aged Pale

De Brabandere visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-27-2001

Developed from Petrus Oud Bruin; a paler version of a traditional local style.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,137 | Reviews: 667
4.21/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle into pint glass - Part of "Sour Power" six pack

A- Clean and clear, pale yellow with thin white head
S- Tart... saliva inducing, like green apples and a bit of wine vinigar
T- Just like the nose advertises, this is tart like green apple with a bit of vinigar. Maybe white grape peels too
M- Thin, but fine

O- Very nice sour. Much better than the rest in the "sour power" sixer.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a Portsmouth Brewery tulip:

A: Amazing clarity, soft pillow of a white head that hangs around for a long time. Great lacing and white capped mountains of foam. So far I am very impressed by the look of this beer.

S: The nose hits back with a splash of sour apple/white grape and lemon. Some hay is also present followed by a bit of barnyard funk. Smells invitingly sour and delicious.

T: Strong sour bite at first followed by some white grapes and a touch of oak. It finishes really dry and light. Great puckering sensation that just demands another sip.

M: Light and bubbly with good carbonation.

D: This might be my new go to sour beer. It is not to hard on the wallet and it is a sensational drink.

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured into a snifter.
a light golden color with a decent head and good lacing. Very good carbonation.

Lots of funk and fruity tartness. Some nice earthiness as well.

The first sip is very tart and acidic. Some nice woody tannins from the oak. Again plenty of earthy qualities and dryness.

Very acidic, leaving a nice tingle behind on my tongue.

As i begin to adventure more into sours, this was a great start. There was plenty of funk in there, but not an overpowering amount that would scare me away.

2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

I had this at Bossanova in Alton,Illinois on 7/31/10.

A-Pours out a clear,golden hue with a slightly brownish tint.A small,loosely-formed white head quickly disappeared leaving thin,filmy lace for the duration of the pint.The lack of any notable carbonation created somewhat of a mental block considering the use of champagne yeast.

S-Smelled of apple cider vinegar,California chardonnay,key lime and sourdough toast.Small hint of oak rounded the nose out with a subtle earthiness.

T-Tart,Granny Smith apples,lime,toasted oak,young Sauvignon blanc grapes and the champagne yeast really shined through for this beer.Deliciously sour!

M-Crisp,clean,light and puckering.The champagne yeast tricked my mouth into experiencing carbonation that wasn't there.Light to medium bodied with a nice,dry finish.

D-This was my first sour beer and by all accounts
I would consider it a successful introduction from an enjoyability standpoint but it being my first,I can't comment on it's trueness to the Oud Bruin style.I was actually kind of discouraged from trying this by my bartender but I found it delightful and my wife(who isn't really a fan of micro's much less strange "sour" beers)enjoyed it also.I could definitely drink a few of these.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

3.45/5  rDev -15.4%

Lightly chilled 11.2 oz. bottle into a tulip.

Look- Glass-clear pale gold with three fingers of crackly white head that falls quickly. No lacing.

Smell- Assertive sourness up front, somewhat fruity, very champagne-like. A vague nutty background that reminds me of walnuts.

Taste- Explosive green apple cider dominates from the get-go, turning more raspberry-like with a hint of still-juicy peach pit/semi-sweet tannic quality. Fades into a woody cherry vanilla with a bit of dry toast and soft dried fir needles. There's quite a bit going on here, but it took me a few sips to get past the almost overwhelming sourness. Finishes clean with a gelatin-like nonflavor and lingering lemon vinegar.

Mouthfeel- Light-medium body, crisp carb accentuates the sourness. Bracingly puckery, extreme coating and dry/astringent towards the end. Perhaps I served it too warm, but it's not nearly as clean as I had hoped. Did I mention coating? I feel like I need to brush my teeth. Well, it sort of makes me want another sip, but I wanted something a bit more light and refreshing. One is a good serving.

Overall- I'm not sorry I tried it (well, maybe sausage for dinner a few hours ago was a bad pairing, I deserve the heartburn), but I probably won't be picking it up again. It's certainly complex, and I enjoy the bold flavor, but it's simply too acidic and (somehow) cloying at the same time for me to want to spend over $.25/oz. On the other hand, it kind of reminds me of warhead sour candy, which is... something?

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Golden, much like any old pale ale. I didn't pour it, but it has no head on it, and little to no active carbonation. There's a slight haze and no lacing. A second pour resulted in a very nice white head.

S: Sour, but not overwhelming. A little fruity, hard to describe but not bad.

T: Black Cherry Warheads candy. That is this flavor, and to me, that is all this flavor is. Really puckering and good.

M: Not fizzy at all, but the sharpness of the sour makes it seem more so.

D: Ehhh, well, like Black Cherry Warheads...you can't have too much.

2.16/5  rDev -47.1%

This was a bargain belgian ale, which I've learned is not a good way to choose.

It pour a rather ravishing golden - almost a Sparkling Cider golden, with a rather curious amount of carbonation. It was pretty, but odd.

The aroma was purely apple. Beyond the point that it should.

The taste was a horridly strong apple. I'm sure there were supposed to be other flavors, it was an ale, after all. But I never found them. All I got was apple. Not the slight-windfall cidery apple you normally get in a Belgian, but a predominantly apple cider mix with a little bit of peary.

Poured the bulk of this one out.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Petrus Aged Pale from De Brabandere