Petrus Aged Pale - De Brabandere

Petrus Aged PalePetrus Aged Pale

De Brabandere visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-27-2001

Developed from Petrus Oud Bruin; a paler version of a traditional local style.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Petrus Aged Pale Alström Bros
3.45/5  rDev -15.4%

Lightly chilled 11.2 oz. bottle into a tulip.

Look- Glass-clear pale gold with three fingers of crackly white head that falls quickly. No lacing.

Smell- Assertive sourness up front, somewhat fruity, very champagne-like. A vague nutty background that reminds me of walnuts.

Taste- Explosive green apple cider dominates from the get-go, turning more raspberry-like with a hint of still-juicy peach pit/semi-sweet tannic quality. Fades into a woody cherry vanilla with a bit of dry toast and soft dried fir needles. There's quite a bit going on here, but it took me a few sips to get past the almost overwhelming sourness. Finishes clean with a gelatin-like nonflavor and lingering lemon vinegar.

Mouthfeel- Light-medium body, crisp carb accentuates the sourness. Bracingly puckery, extreme coating and dry/astringent towards the end. Perhaps I served it too warm, but it's not nearly as clean as I had hoped. Did I mention coating? I feel like I need to brush my teeth. Well, it sort of makes me want another sip, but I wanted something a bit more light and refreshing. One is a good serving.

Overall- I'm not sorry I tried it (well, maybe sausage for dinner a few hours ago was a bad pairing, I deserve the heartburn), but I probably won't be picking it up again. It's certainly complex, and I enjoy the bold flavor, but it's simply too acidic and (somehow) cloying at the same time for me to want to spend over $.25/oz. On the other hand, it kind of reminds me of warhead sour candy, which is... something?

4.41/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not an especially attractive color: dirty blond. Head settles out fast.

Smells awesome! Very tart and fruity. Was not expecting this given the name of the beer.

First sip wows me with its mouth-puckering flavor. Again, not expecting this. But I love it, and it’s probably the most sour beer I’ve had to date. There really aren’t a lot of nuances to this beer, but that doesn’t bother me; I'm really enjoy the sour flavor and find it very drinkable. Despite its oak aging, I’m not detecting it. Carbonation and mouthfeel are spot-on.

I will be buying this one again the next time I’m in the mood for a sour. Very good and highly recommended!

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

I had this at Bossanova in Alton,Illinois on 7/31/10.

A-Pours out a clear,golden hue with a slightly brownish tint.A small,loosely-formed white head quickly disappeared leaving thin,filmy lace for the duration of the pint.The lack of any notable carbonation created somewhat of a mental block considering the use of champagne yeast.

S-Smelled of apple cider vinegar,California chardonnay,key lime and sourdough toast.Small hint of oak rounded the nose out with a subtle earthiness.

T-Tart,Granny Smith apples,lime,toasted oak,young Sauvignon blanc grapes and the champagne yeast really shined through for this beer.Deliciously sour!

M-Crisp,clean,light and puckering.The champagne yeast tricked my mouth into experiencing carbonation that wasn't there.Light to medium bodied with a nice,dry finish.

D-This was my first sour beer and by all accounts
I would consider it a successful introduction from an enjoyability standpoint but it being my first,I can't comment on it's trueness to the Oud Bruin style.I was actually kind of discouraged from trying this by my bartender but I found it delightful and my wife(who isn't really a fan of micro's much less strange "sour" beers)enjoyed it also.I could definitely drink a few of these.

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

pours a beautifully rich golden straw color with a good bit of glowing haze. a thin one-finger head of fervent bubbles dances tumultuously across the surface before fizzling down the a thin ring that leaves some impressive Brussels lace.

aroma is sour, fruity, woody and vinous all at once. woody vanilla mixes with caramel sugar and a rich oakiness... a sweet fruit bouquet of passion fruit, guava and starfruit adds an interesting aromatic twist. A drying sour almost vinegar-like aroma is hiding in the mix as well, and just a hint of wet hay and barn funkiness.

Taste follows the aroma fairly closely, with more of the sour funkiness and a bit less of the fruit sweet. I still get a ton of starfruit/carambola and a bit of guava. Woody and vinous, with a sour astringency of unripe banana. candy and oak through the middle with a finish tart and oaky with a hint of vanilla.

Mouthfeel is unbelievably textural and multifaceted. Sweet, dry and tart. A bit of puckering sour on the tongue and astringency in the mouth. Ample carbonation makes it interesting clean and crisp.

Impressive. This isn't a session brew, but the qualities blend together to create an incredibly enjoyable brew that doesn't show its alcohol at all. I could drink one or two more... and am still craving more. definitely worth trying if sours and funky stuff is up your alley. I'll definitely have to track down a few more.

3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

Appearance is average. Golden, without looking like there is much too it. Not a lot of head or lacing.
Smell is very alcoholly up front and some lemony zest and a bit of orange to finish.
Taste is very different. All the flavors seem to swirl together, i do taste some alcohol and orange and a strong lemon juice flavor all kinda mixed together, but not necessarily appropriatly.
Mouthfeel and drinkability are slightly above average. Overall this beer is far too expensive for its return

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: Pours a cloudy light orange-ish amber with a fair amount of light white head. Just a ring around the glass and a bit of surface film retains, which is enough to leave a good amount of lacing.

S: Light yeast, sour fruit, and a touch of sweetness.

T: Sour and sweet fruit from the start through the aftertaste. Nice complexity and great tartness on the finish.

M: Medium to light body, medium carbonation.

Overall, a very nice sour. Worth a try if the style appeals to you.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

11.2oz into Bruges tulip. From notes.

A: Pours a hazy orange hue, with a light head formation and lacing. Good levels of carbonation.

S: Aroma is rich and funky, low to no level of hop aroma. Lactic acid influence, with a layer of Brett as well.

Tm: The taste is very wild and sour, with good body and great layers of acidic and funky characters. Linger is strong and prolonged.

O: overall this was a very enjoyable brew, with a great sourness level, but a bit more non sour characters to balance would have made it better.

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Appearance: Bright straw color with brilliant clarity and some visible effervescence. Fizzy cap of off-white foam. One of the lighter colored sours I've seen.

Aroma: Classic sour yeast esters with an edge of dryness like a white wine. Some alcohol in there but masked pretty well.

Taste: Starts with an immediate sour onslaught. There is a definite dryness to the palate as mentioned in the aroma. The malt flavor is hard to detect because the tartness masks most everything else. There are some fruity yeast esters akin to dried apricot and sweet tarts. The finish is very lively with a burst of carbonation and leaves behind sour apple for the aftertaste. The 7.3% ABV doesn't come through anywhere and actually seems high given the lack of malt presence.

Mouthfeel: Just below medium in body with energetic carbonation. About average drinkability given the nature of the flavor.

Final Thoughts: I'm basically a sour noob but for what it's worth I really liked this one. The amount of tartness in the flavor was higher than I've had recently and it made for an enjoyable drinking experience. I got Petrus Aged Pale as part of the sour power mixed pack and it was a worthwhile purchase that I'd recommend to anyone interested in the experimenting with the style for the first time. Would I drink it again? Yes.

3.3/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours a slightly hazy gold color, with a one finger head that quickly falls. A ring around the brim of the glass remains, as well as a bit of lacing.

This beer smells interesting. Sour apple, dirty leather, raspberries, and vinegar come to mind. Very different nose, and not one that I was expecting at all.

The flavor of this beer again, is totally unexpected. I was prepared for a oak aged belgian pale.... not a flemish sour. Positively sour, althoughmore rounded than others. Good green apple flavor, backed by a hint of malt. Clean finish that dissapates completely, aside from the little bit of "tang" left over from the acidity. Nice flavor, although I find the tartness to be a little much. The oak and vanilla flavors pop out in the finish, but I don't taste them before that. I personally think this would be a little better if this were partially blended with a fresh batch to tame the tartness just a little bit.

Mouthfeel is light and thin, while drinkability is a bit slow, due to the high acidity.

Good overall, but I would not consider this a belgian pale. Way too sour for that category, and I really think it tastes more like a flemish red... reminds me a lot of Rodenbach Grand Cru. A good beer, but should be labeled for what it is....

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

12 oz bottle into pint glass - Part of "Sour Power" six pack

A- Clean and clear, pale yellow with thin white head
S- Tart... saliva inducing, like green apples and a bit of wine vinigar
T- Just like the nose advertises, this is tart like green apple with a bit of vinigar. Maybe white grape peels too
M- Thin, but fine

O- Very nice sour. Much better than the rest in the "sour power" sixer.

Petrus Aged Pale from De Brabandere