Petrus Aged Pale - De Brabandere

Petrus Aged PalePetrus Aged Pale

De Brabandere visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.30% ABV

Developed from Petrus Oud Bruin; a paler version of a traditional local style.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Petrus Aged Pale Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

1Adam12, May 19, 2012

videofrog, May 19, 2012

alyssajoy, May 18, 2012

Rickyd, May 17, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a Rodenbach glass

A- Clear pale golden color with a two finger white head that fades quickly.

S- Sour/tart light fruits, oak, cherries, screams drink me!

T- Sour lemons, oak, cherries, a touch of vinegar, slightly lactic in the finish.

M- Smooth, crisp, light.

O- A great sour worth every penny. I can't believe that I have walked by this beer so many times, I will pick this up more often.

larryi86, May 15, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

siddhartha, May 13, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

cosmonick, May 10, 2012

let8it8grow, May 07, 2012
3.36/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured into a Southern Tier tulip-style glass. No readable freshness date.

A- Pours a dark, orange-ish amber with a 3/4 inch head that retains well before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a full sheet of surface foam. Thick ring of lacing.

S- Big whiff of lactic acid and vinegar with some pungent cherry beneath.

T- Very tart, more than it is sweet for sure, with a sturdy malt backbone that's biscuity with a hint of . The sour character overpowers what bit of fruit notes are present but I pick up cherry, strawberry and sour red grapes. Hint of oxidation.

M- Lots of pucker and very drying. Medium-low carbonation.

O- A bit too sour for my blood.

Immortale25, May 05, 2012
2.33/5  rDev -42.9%

Was given a bottle of this as a present. I knew nothing at all about it beyond what was on the bottle.

S: Starting with smell because I sniffed it after opening it. Overpoweringly vinegary - so much so I thought there was something wrong with it, so of course I came here to check. Turns out it is, of course, a sour style. Nonetheless, it was very strong and not in a particularly pleasing way for me.

A: Looks can be deceiving - it could have been any anonymous pale ale but for the tiny yet persistent pieces of sediment dancing around the bubbles. Not unattractive at all.

T: I just couldn't get myself to enjoy it. I tried and tried, but where I looked for apple I found vinegar, and where I looked for sweetness I found just... sweet vinegar. Since it seems to be almost universally praised I can't say it tasted *bad*, just that it didn't taste good to me personally. If you like the style, chances are you'll like this one. But if (like me) you consider yourself a fan of sour foods and drinks it doesn't automatically mean you'll appreciate this.

M: Honestly, I barely remember, and I only tried it fifteen minutes ago. Not memorable in a good or bad way, but that's because I was so overpowered by the taste.

It may be felt that I'm being harsh with my rating but it needs to be taken into account that even fans of the style are calling this one amazingly sour, and that if it's sent to mass market with that level of acidity it's not going to appeal to everyone. I consider myself adventurous but this wasn't for me at all.

nach0king, May 04, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

CheapBeerBuzz, Apr 30, 2012
3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

kind of a weird sour ale, because it is quite hoppy as well. thats a combination i havnt seen a lot of. pours a hazy pale color equal parts orange and yellow. average size white head. smells like a mix between a hoppe american pale ale and a flemish sour without any of the cherry or other fruit flavors. flavor is really potent and different. english style bitter hops and a malt vinegar sour finish, some woody notes carrying all the way through. feel is good, light on the body but heavy on the flavor. medium carbonation works well. overall a pretty cool beer, not at all conventional, quite drinkable, and worthy of special occasions. nice one!

StonedTrippin, Apr 30, 2012
3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

This beer poured a bright golden hue with some haziness. A nice white head that was two fingers width.

The aroma showed some oak and a faint fruitiness.

The taste is clean and tart. The finish was refreshing, but it took me some time to make my way through the bottle. Started to loss some appeal while drinking.

The aftertaste offered some fruit with a heavier leaning to the tart.

Overall opinion is that this was a great example of a sour and does offer some complexity, however there are better sours for your investment and enjoyment.

Tobe, Apr 30, 2012

pirmannt1, Apr 30, 2012

PthPndr, Apr 29, 2012

mbiscombe, Apr 28, 2012
2.1/5  rDev -48.5%

A: Lovely honey golden hue, two fingers of lively white head. So clear and crisp looking. To me, this is the best part of the beer.

S: Smells like vinegar. Strong vinegar. Slight sweetness. Can't really find anything else.

T: Wow. I almost coughed up my first sip it was so tart. It's like drinking a big juicy granny smith apple covered in vinegar. The more you drink it, the easier it gets to drink, but still intense.

M: Very light, but not pleasant in my opinion. Decent carbonation for an aged beer.

O: Holy cow. This stuff will put hair on your chest. This was my first sour, and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to venture into this realm. I was hoping to get hooked on sours since I'm getting sick of big stouts and hop bombs, but I guess not. I can see why people would like this, but it's not my cup of beer.

Lordquackingstic, Apr 28, 2012

SneezyAchew, Apr 25, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

A: Color is honey yellow with a 2 finger white fluffy head that really quickly turned into nothing. There's a lot of action with the carbonation that I dig. No lacing to speak of.

S: The beer has an awesome sour, acidic twang that I love. It's also pretty fruity in a apple/pear kind of way. Maybe it's more like grapes? I could be reading into that though. It smells awesome and I can't wait another second to take a sip.

T: Really lip puckeringly sour. I've had so, so many sour beers and this is pretty damn close to the top (in terms of sourness). Almost entirely full blown acetic qualities. Not much funk to speak of but that's ok because I'm basking in the glory of this sour. Some sweetness to be sure, but the finish is really sour.

M: Body is medium and smooth with nice carbonation.

O: Wow, this bottle took me by surprise! First of all it's only $3.99 for an 11.2 oz bottle, which is incredibly cheap for a sour. Secondly it's so sour! That automatically makes it good in my book. There is some sweetness to be sure though to balance.

tony223366, Apr 24, 2012
4.08/5  rDev 0%

A very clear, light gold beer with a fluffy little white head that settles down quickly. Patchy, slippery lace.

Fairly light aromatics; a bit of tart sourness, some lemon, hay, light funkiness. Very nice flavor, again with fairly restrained sourness, tart lemon, grass, hay, and funk; green apple, just a touch of sweetness. Very dry. A hint of oak.

Moderately light body with very crisp carbonation; clean and refreshing. A great introductory beer to the world of sours and my favorite offering by this brewery by far.

tobelerone, Apr 23, 2012