Petrus Aged Pale - De Brabandere

Petrus Aged PalePetrus Aged Pale

De Brabandere visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.30% ABV

Developed from Petrus Oud Bruin; a paler version of a traditional local style.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Petrus Aged Pale Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Drank from my Duvel Tulip.

A - This beer pours a pale Golden colour with a one fingered head that reduces to a costant film.

S - This beer literally stinks of wood aging and tartness. Smells similar to a decent wooded chardonnay.

T - The initial flavours are a little sweet but the balance of tartness kicks in to give it a great balance, the finish is a little dry and very reminiscent of a white wine.

M - Light to medium body with fullish carbonation.

O - Loved this beer and will definitely have again. The tartness is great and the sugars are not too present, which really gives this brew something special.

eric5bellies, Aug 31, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Petrus aged pale

Pours a bright golden color with a small white head. Aroma of sour musty funk and horse blanket. In the taste, a sharp sour bite like a more characterful lemon rind. Wild yeasts doing their job well. Bitter, sour, and funky. Small touch of oak but mainly a dry sour. Mouthfeel is light, well carbonated and dry. Overall, this is an intense brew that I quite enjoyed.

Stinkypuss, Aug 27, 2011
4.08/5  rDev 0%

A- Bright oragey-yellow color, almost like a very light copper color. No retention, goes down to thin white ring around the edges very quickly.

S- Smells like some lactic acid with a little hint of malt sweetness. Smell the sour tart pretty easily, its up front.

T- Nice sour tartness right away, gives a good pucker. Drys out nicely leaving a nice finish with no real residual flavor.

M- light-med body with a small amount of carbonation.

O- Really nice beer, good price for a sour fix.

Kshock, Aug 21, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

The beer is bright golden yellow with a a big foamy white head. The smell is mostly white grape and green apple skin and it has just a slight funk. When you take a sip you first experience a mouth puckering tartness similar to a sour white wine, you can also taste fresh apple and vinegar. The beer is medium bodied with soft carbonation and a very dry finish. I really enjoyed this sour beer, it kind of reminded me of New Belgium's Le Terroir.

JMad, Aug 20, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

A: orange colour, a stream of carbonation rising up to a decent and stable head, neither clear nor hazy

S: granny smith, forest fruits, a bit like Rodenbach might actually be the best description.

T: At first the granny smith together with citrus elements. There is also something less pleasant there which i can't really name although it's less annoying when you're a bit further in your drink.

M: quite thin, not a lot of carbonation but that's fine for this kind of beer

O: Good beer, complex, very refreshing, enough alcohol, but not too much. I'll have this one again

benfons, Aug 15, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours butterscotch with a lasting tight white head. Great sticky lacing.

The aroma is so compelling! Funky and bright, with a honeyed-oak sweetness. I'm giddy just smelling this stuff.

Taste fulfills the promise of the aroma, opening with cheek-puckering acid, green apple skin that pauses at chardonnay before coasting out semi-dry with great clarity and a raw honey background. It's a great experience of the brighter complexities of a gueze, not the deep, cheesy note, but apples, grapes, tart cherries. Just a touch of vanilla rounds this out.

Mouthfeel is more lively than a geuze, some carb to keep the brew refreshing without sinking into your tongue.

This is one my favorite underrated beers out there. It satisfies my craving for a complex, funky beer without being prohibitively expensive.

applestash, Aug 15, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured it into a goblet from a bottle. I'd swirled the bottle a bit, but the beer was completely clear.

Looks: Big, fluffy white head, leaving behind fluffy lacing. The beer is yellow/straw colored, and well carbonated.

Smell: A little bit of funk, but also malty

Taste: It starts out tart; not super-sour, but a nice, mellow sourness. The finish is fairly oaky. It's somewhat fruity and sweet.

Feel: Feels pretty smooth and mellow.

Overall: I really liked it; it wasn't bang-you-over-the-head sour, but well balanced. I'd definitely drink it again if I see it. It tastes quite a bit like Duchesse de Bourgone, but looks nothing like it. It has more oak to it, and is a little less sweet.

FarmerTed, Aug 09, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

Bears a sweet, sparkling nose, with strong hints of apple, pear, and white grape, and comes across not unlike a sugary apple cider. A faint aroma of toasted grains lies just beneath, mixed in with just a hint of oak.

On the tongue, the beer takes an immediate and surprising turn and comes across so sour that my eyes closed in reflex--much like expecting apple cider but getting apple cider vinegar instead. Strong vinegary notes dominate here, bursting with the apple and white grape notes from the nose, but it's as if those flavors were concentrated several times over. This sour proliferation is moderately balanced by a sugary backbone, with nice hints of light fruit esters and toasted grains, as well as oaky notes from the cask aging, but really it's the sourness that dominates the mouthful from one end to the other, and actually grows in strength the longer it's held on the tongue.

Unless you've had sour ales and have gotten used to their taste, I don't recommend this one; it would prove unpalatable to the novice. Enthusiasts, however, will no doubt find this a stellar example of the style.

jondeelee, Aug 08, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

clear golden amber hue with foamy white head. Light bodied with good upfront sour taste but quick dissipation into a faintly sweet aftertaste. A good beginning beer for those not too immersed in the world of sour beers. It has good mouth-pucker but nothing too offensive.

nhusbands, Aug 07, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from 330mL bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: rich copper hue with two fingers of frothy white head and plenty of apparent effervescence. The label says pale, the style says oud bruin, and I think this is somewhere in between. Good stuff.

Smell: sweet and tart malty aroma. There's a bit of a berry-like aroma to it as well; just a hint, but it is quite interesting.

Taste: sweet malt and a big tart flavor. I like the sourness but it lacks complexity thereafter. There's a little woody character which is nice, but I feel like this is lacking something.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good level of carbonation and creaminess.

Overall: I do like this beer, but I think it could be better. For me, the flavor doesn't quite live up to my expectation.

flagmantho, Aug 04, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

A- Pours a golden apple cider color that is crystal clear. I didn't find that there was much of a creamy foam head, but more of a thick layer about 1 finger thick, that settles to a patchy, fizzy layer over the brew. Modest lacing clings to the glass but nothing really special. Overall, I think this isn't much better than average looking....

S- The aroma is kind of funky initially, with sour cherry, sour granny smith apple, and assorted sour berry aromas. There is some mellow oakiness hiding in the background as well but it's not very dominant. On the finish, I smell sweet malt that resembles caramel apples, and it really helps balance out the tartness that the front is carrying.

T- This is the second beer of the style that I've tried, and to be honest, I was scared to after my first go with another brand. Fortunately, I find this to be very nicely balanced on the palate, with lots of sour fruity funk going on, but it doesn't make me pucker. After getting through this at first, the mellowness of the oak aging becomes noticeable, along with some malt sweetness right at the end. It kind of reminds me of a funked up version of a great English Scrumpy Cider....the apple quality is what I notice the most here.

M- There's plenty of quenching carbonation going on here, which I like, as it really helps my palate adjust to the tartness. Not a heavy beer by any means, I'd put this as a light to medium bodied brew, yet well rounded from the oak aging I'm guessing.

O- I surprised myself in the fact that I really enjoyed having this! It really hits the spot when sitting on the patio during a very warm afternoon! I also find that as it warms up a couple degrees from when first taken out of the fridge, it mellows out further....add to this the fact that the funk really hides the alcohol well, I'd never know that this was 7.5%!! Still not a beer for just anyone to try, if this is what a true Oud Bruin is supposed to be, I'm sold. I'll buy this again for sure!

ChrisCage, Aug 02, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

I had this one on tap yesterday evening at Uptown Brothers Brewing on Colfax. Poured a medium golden color with a fluffy white head. Funky on the nose, with aromas of vinuous wood, apples and pears. On the palate, this one was light bodied, with flavors of wine, oak, apples and pears.

emmasdad, Jul 30, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Clear and light amber-tan in color, head is nice and lacing is ok.

Smell is kinda sour apples and funky earth, woody with vinegar aspects.

Taste is very Flanders Oud Bruin, a seemingly excellent example of the style. Fruity but funky, dry but fruity, tart and sour, a great multi-dimensional brew.

Body is medium and less carbonated than I expected, but still really nice.

This is an excellent beer. If this is your style, it's a must-try for sure.

AlCaponeJunior, Jul 23, 2011

On-tap at La Trappe, in San Francisco.

Advertising the stuff as "undiluted old beer" probably isn't going to do much to turn people onto it, but its icy golden body and shimmering highlights probably will; this very unconventional beer actually has a fairly conventional look. Its thin, fizzy head also speaks to quality: while it doesn't tack on a ton of lace, it impressively endures the length of the tasting.

The aroma is definitely funky - not quite 'George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic' funky, but more like 'neon-coloured toe-socks' funky. It has a lot of bacterial sourness and faint fruity esters, the combination loosely resembling a sweet-and-sour candy. Rest assured, however, there's nothing tacky or synthetic about it; it smells like a high-quality vinaigrette.

Vinaigrette? you ask. Yes, sir. It has a woody mustiness, notes of fermented fruits and an acidic quality that is found elsewhere only in vinegars. I liken it to a vinaigrette - not vinegar - because the acidity loosely ties into the profile rather than knots the whole thing up and it's balanced with sweet, sugary notes of apple and a splash of lemon juice.

Ample carbonation, plenty of drying oak-y residuals and a touch of earthy hop bitterness all do well to hide this beer's (formidable) alcohol strength. Indeed, with its spritzy bubbles and fizzy tartness, this is a highly sociable and agreeable ale. I finished mine in a matter of minutes. The 24-30 months left in wood has rounded it out nicely, it was time well spent.

Apparently this is what "pale" ales tasted like centuries ago. While I can only speculate on the validity of that claim I can assure you that's is what more beers made in this century *should* be tasting like. The combination of tart and sweet is delightful and, while others have likened it a Zinfandel or similar, I say it's definitively beer. And really good beer at that.

biegaman, Jul 18, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Pale gold and clear body with minimal white head.

The sour is easy to pick up even in the nose. Fruity smells of white grapes and pear. There's a mild fruit sweetness to it, too.

It's mouth puckering tart. Again with the white grapes and a little sour apple. There's a grainy backing to it with very mild sweetness.

The mouthfeel is prickly and drinks like a sparkling wine. It's very crisp and the abv is barely detectable.

I found this to be a very good beer, but if you don't like sour stay away. This is the first I've reviewed this, but not the first I've had it. I'll have many more of these in the future.

Vonerichs, Jul 17, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

On-tap at Ebenezer's and served into a wine glass of sorts.

A - Pours a copper color, cream head, nice cap and sticky lacing, thick collar. Pretty nice looking sour.

S - Nice sour tart, slight funk, fruits, slight hay. Not much like a Flanders, more like a straight up sour, almost American-esque. That said, all very enjoyable.

T - Sour/tart, fruity, slight oak, tart finish. Again, not much Flanders in this Oud Bruin. Lots of great sour notes, but more of an American Sour then anything else.

M - Body is light, good carbonation, dry finish.

O - A very enjoyable brew that was personally recommended by Chris Lively. My experience with Petrus isn't so good, so I wouldn't have ordered this otherwise. Much better on-tap then out of the bottle, by a long shot. Enjoyable, thanks Chris!

Sean9689, Jul 12, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

Transparent color as a pilsener, and with oxidation as powerful and strong. Small clouds of white wine and reminiscence of caves. Mouth tastes like sherry and muscatel dry but still with the force of an Oud Bruin and sharp acidity. With small hints of oak that adds complexity to the mix without making excessive acid. Is fleetingly think of a good lambic. The ABV is not readily detectable. Excellent to quench his thirst and to get unique flavors. Certainly, both of oud bruin Bavik products are good, not perfect but certainly very significant.

ThaCreep, Jul 12, 2011

I find it weird that there is a beer writer by the name of Michael Jackson. I guess I just can’t get past MJ being the best entertainer ever to walk planet earth. Regardless, this particular Michael walked into the brewery and demanded that this beer, this barrel beer, be bottled. I am on a kick right now with the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, which is one of the best tasting beers I have had… in a long time. Maybe this one will compete.

This is a BIG bottle. Basically a wine bottle. We were able to get two pints out of one bottle. And if I do recall, it wasn’t very expensive. I want to say it was only $6 a bottle. In the glass, the beer looks like a good pale, perhaps a sweet IPA. There isn’t much nose on this brew, perhaps a hint of wet bitterness toward the end… but nothing too exciting. Wonder what it tastes like.

The beer starts with a ton of carbonation on the front of the palate, then you are punched in the side of the head with sour… I am talking a handful of Sweet Tarts sour. Holy crap, that is SOUR! And the sour continues well into the aftertaste. After tasting it, and smelling it again, you can somewhat pick that up on the nose.

I wouldn’t say it’s bad… I mean, it doesn’t taste like an ale. But I wouldn’t say it’s bad by any means. It’s just not what I expected. Especially since the beer says pale on the side of the label. This isn’t your typical pale. But like I said, it’s not bad… it’s just not what you would expect when looking at the bottle or seeing it sit in the glass.

*Beware… this beer is VERY sour. If you don’t like sour stuff, stay away!

rickyleepotts, Jul 09, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

From brew notes taken this past weekend:

A - Hazey orange with lots of yellow and white hues. Head is small with white foam.

S - Very peach, lots of funk in this one. Great scent.

T - Smooth. Slightly sour. Delicious peach flavor.

M - Very smooth. Great carbonation too. Zero bitterness.

O - AWESOME! Buy it if you can find it. Highly recommended.

chugalug06, Jul 06, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

11.2oz bottle received as part of Amanti Vino's Beer of the Month program for June. This one was allowed to warm some from the fridge before being poured into my Bruery tulip.

Petrus Aged Pale pours a mildly hazy tangerine. Nearly two fingers of cream colored head sprout up initially, but soon fizz away without putting up much of a fight. The smell is fairly tart, but with a sweet, pale fruit component to it as well. The flavor adds more layers to that base, giving the beer more of a refined edge. A sharp tartness is definitely what jumps out right from the first sip. Once my palate was acclimated to the acidity though, the rest of the beer began to really shine through. Green apple skin and peaches provide a sweetness that helps counteract the beer's dominant sour characteristic. The back end of each sip highlights a delicate oak/cherry pit note that really elevates the beer. The body is appropriately light for a relatively small sour beer, and the carbonation serves its purpose of preventing the beer from turning into a syrup, and nothing more. I haven't had Petrus Oude Bruin, but if the final beer is as good as this thread that goes into it is, I'll be in for a hell of a brew.

axeman9182, Jun 24, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured into tulip glass..dark yellow with quickly dissappeared head...looks like apple juice. Smells of citrus..and formaldahyde.

Tastes of sour patch kids with a dose of laffy taffy. Definately an acquired taste that I'm not sure I have acquired but is good for style. Definately a slow sipping beer.. not for sessioning.

Since my beer no head with minimal lacing, I will try another once I have the chance...but taste wise, my beer tasted fresh.

Dster, Jun 17, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

a - tan and gold with a slight red/pink tint. bubbly finger thick head that diminishes to a decent collar. medium - high carbonation meets the eye.

s - fruity, peachy, funky.. it has some of that red flanders sweet but sour cherry/fruit to it but more tame and malty. you can definitely smell the barrels.

t - sour peach and barnyard/funky earthy notes. only slightly sour, but a good amount. no tease. kinda hard to put my finger on this one.

m - light - medium body and very drinkable. sometimes sours can be a kick in the pallet (haha..) and can be slightly off putting (although i never really have that problem) but this is definitely something to drink a few of. light enough to put a couple down, but still something to savor and enjoy.

o - not too bad. i only say that cause it takes a little more character and definition for a sour to really wow me. it would be a great start to someone who has never ventured into this type of brew, at least to get an idea of what a sour be is like.

alenonbeeradv, Jun 16, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

Got a bottle of this at Pizzeria Paradiso in Alexandria the other day. Served in a tulip.

Pours a clear golden-apricot color with a short white head and some nice spotty lacing on the way down. The nose brings forward a bit of green apple and hay, along with a good amount of funk. Light funk, but good in terms of how forward the beer was with it. The flavor brought some acidity and apple skin. Golden color was the first hint that this isn't really an Oud Bruin, and the flavor is another. Bright acidity and some light stone fruits. This was a really interesting beer and I'd certainly have it again.

Thorpe429, Jun 13, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

Appearance - golden color, decent head, lingers a bit

Smell - amazing, raisins, port, cloves, just delicious smelling, had to convince myself to drink it and quit smelling it at the bar and looking like an asshole

Taste - much the same, not as terrific but definitely nice, get a bit of alcohol, not hot more like stingy rubbing alochol, but its not off putting, a bit sour and definitely some vinegar

Mouthfeel - light body, good carbonation, sessionable

claytong, Jun 13, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Very light gold, with little head.

S - Wow, I have never smelled a beer like this before. I can actually smell the tartness. Sour apples and various citrus are the most dominant, with a little of the oak barrel in the back.

T - Exactly like it smells. All of the aromas come out in flavor, with a good amount of sourness. Relatively fruity, with very little malt or hop flavor. In the back, I can definitely taste the oak, but it's subtle.

M - Good carbonation, very light in body, and very drinkable. Alcohol is so well hidden, you would never know this is beer.

O - Excellent beer. This is my first sour beer, but I loved it, and I will be back for more.

grannun, Jun 12, 2011