Petrus Aged Pale - De Brabandere

Petrus Aged PalePetrus Aged Pale

De Brabandere visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-27-2001

Developed from Petrus Oud Bruin; a paler version of a traditional local style.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Petrus Aged Pale Alström Bros
3.97/5  rDev -2.7%

clear golden amber hue with foamy white head. Light bodied with good upfront sour taste but quick dissipation into a faintly sweet aftertaste. A good beginning beer for those not too immersed in the world of sour beers. It has good mouth-pucker but nothing too offensive.

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from 330mL bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: rich copper hue with two fingers of frothy white head and plenty of apparent effervescence. The label says pale, the style says oud bruin, and I think this is somewhere in between. Good stuff.

Smell: sweet and tart malty aroma. There's a bit of a berry-like aroma to it as well; just a hint, but it is quite interesting.

Taste: sweet malt and a big tart flavor. I like the sourness but it lacks complexity thereafter. There's a little woody character which is nice, but I feel like this is lacking something.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good level of carbonation and creaminess.

Overall: I do like this beer, but I think it could be better. For me, the flavor doesn't quite live up to my expectation.

3.84/5  rDev -5.9%

A- Pours a golden apple cider color that is crystal clear. I didn't find that there was much of a creamy foam head, but more of a thick layer about 1 finger thick, that settles to a patchy, fizzy layer over the brew. Modest lacing clings to the glass but nothing really special. Overall, I think this isn't much better than average looking....

S- The aroma is kind of funky initially, with sour cherry, sour granny smith apple, and assorted sour berry aromas. There is some mellow oakiness hiding in the background as well but it's not very dominant. On the finish, I smell sweet malt that resembles caramel apples, and it really helps balance out the tartness that the front is carrying.

T- This is the second beer of the style that I've tried, and to be honest, I was scared to after my first go with another brand. Fortunately, I find this to be very nicely balanced on the palate, with lots of sour fruity funk going on, but it doesn't make me pucker. After getting through this at first, the mellowness of the oak aging becomes noticeable, along with some malt sweetness right at the end. It kind of reminds me of a funked up version of a great English Scrumpy Cider....the apple quality is what I notice the most here.

M- There's plenty of quenching carbonation going on here, which I like, as it really helps my palate adjust to the tartness. Not a heavy beer by any means, I'd put this as a light to medium bodied brew, yet well rounded from the oak aging I'm guessing.

O- I surprised myself in the fact that I really enjoyed having this! It really hits the spot when sitting on the patio during a very warm afternoon! I also find that as it warms up a couple degrees from when first taken out of the fridge, it mellows out further....add to this the fact that the funk really hides the alcohol well, I'd never know that this was 7.5%!! Still not a beer for just anyone to try, if this is what a true Oud Bruin is supposed to be, I'm sold. I'll buy this again for sure!

4.02/5  rDev -1.5%

I had this one on tap yesterday evening at Uptown Brothers Brewing on Colfax. Poured a medium golden color with a fluffy white head. Funky on the nose, with aromas of vinuous wood, apples and pears. On the palate, this one was light bodied, with flavors of wine, oak, apples and pears.

4.17/5  rDev +2.2%

Clear and light amber-tan in color, head is nice and lacing is ok.

Smell is kinda sour apples and funky earth, woody with vinegar aspects.

Taste is very Flanders Oud Bruin, a seemingly excellent example of the style. Fruity but funky, dry but fruity, tart and sour, a great multi-dimensional brew.

Body is medium and less carbonated than I expected, but still really nice.

This is an excellent beer. If this is your style, it's a must-try for sure.

On-tap at La Trappe, in San Francisco.

Advertising the stuff as "undiluted old beer" probably isn't going to do much to turn people onto it, but its icy golden body and shimmering highlights probably will; this very unconventional beer actually has a fairly conventional look. Its thin, fizzy head also speaks to quality: while it doesn't tack on a ton of lace, it impressively endures the length of the tasting.

The aroma is definitely funky - not quite 'George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic' funky, but more like 'neon-coloured toe-socks' funky. It has a lot of bacterial sourness and faint fruity esters, the combination loosely resembling a sweet-and-sour candy. Rest assured, however, there's nothing tacky or synthetic about it; it smells like a high-quality vinaigrette.

Vinaigrette? you ask. Yes, sir. It has a woody mustiness, notes of fermented fruits and an acidic quality that is found elsewhere only in vinegars. I liken it to a vinaigrette - not vinegar - because the acidity loosely ties into the profile rather than knots the whole thing up and it's balanced with sweet, sugary notes of apple and a splash of lemon juice.

Ample carbonation, plenty of drying oak-y residuals and a touch of earthy hop bitterness all do well to hide this beer's (formidable) alcohol strength. Indeed, with its spritzy bubbles and fizzy tartness, this is a highly sociable and agreeable ale. I finished mine in a matter of minutes. The 24-30 months left in wood has rounded it out nicely, it was time well spent.

Apparently this is what "pale" ales tasted like centuries ago. While I can only speculate on the validity of that claim I can assure you that's is what more beers made in this century *should* be tasting like. The combination of tart and sweet is delightful and, while others have likened it a wine, I say it's definitively beer. And really good beer at that.

4.27/5  rDev +4.7%

Pale gold and clear body with minimal white head.

The sour is easy to pick up even in the nose. Fruity smells of white grapes and pear. There's a mild fruit sweetness to it, too.

It's mouth puckering tart. Again with the white grapes and a little sour apple. There's a grainy backing to it with very mild sweetness.

The mouthfeel is prickly and drinks like a sparkling wine. It's very crisp and the abv is barely detectable.

I found this to be a very good beer, but if you don't like sour stay away. This is the first I've reviewed this, but not the first I've had it. I'll have many more of these in the future.

3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

On-tap at Ebenezer's and served into a wine glass of sorts.

A - Pours a copper color, cream head, nice cap and sticky lacing, thick collar. Pretty nice looking sour.

S - Nice sour tart, slight funk, fruits, slight hay. Not much like a Flanders, more like a straight up sour, almost American-esque. That said, all very enjoyable.

T - Sour/tart, fruity, slight oak, tart finish. Again, not much Flanders in this Oud Bruin. Lots of great sour notes, but more of an American Sour then anything else.

M - Body is light, good carbonation, dry finish.

O - A very enjoyable brew that was personally recommended by Chris Lively. My experience with Petrus isn't so good, so I wouldn't have ordered this otherwise. Much better on-tap then out of the bottle, by a long shot. Enjoyable, thanks Chris!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Transparent color as a pilsener, and with oxidation as powerful and strong. Small clouds of white wine and reminiscence of caves. Mouth tastes like sherry and muscatel dry but still with the force of an Oud Bruin and sharp acidity. With small hints of oak that adds complexity to the mix without making excessive acid. Is fleetingly think of a good lambic. The ABV is not readily detectable. Excellent to quench his thirst and to get unique flavors. Certainly, both of oud bruin Bavik products are good, not perfect but certainly very significant.

I find it weird that there is a beer writer by the name of Michael Jackson. I guess I just can’t get past MJ being the best entertainer ever to walk planet earth. Regardless, this particular Michael walked into the brewery and demanded that this beer, this barrel beer, be bottled. I am on a kick right now with the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, which is one of the best tasting beers I have had… in a long time. Maybe this one will compete.

This is a BIG bottle. Basically a wine bottle. We were able to get two pints out of one bottle. And if I do recall, it wasn’t very expensive. I want to say it was only $6 a bottle. In the glass, the beer looks like a good pale, perhaps a sweet IPA. There isn’t much nose on this brew, perhaps a hint of wet bitterness toward the end… but nothing too exciting. Wonder what it tastes like.

The beer starts with a ton of carbonation on the front of the palate, then you are punched in the side of the head with sour… I am talking a handful of Sweet Tarts sour. Holy crap, that is SOUR! And the sour continues well into the aftertaste. After tasting it, and smelling it again, you can somewhat pick that up on the nose.

I wouldn’t say it’s bad… I mean, it doesn’t taste like an ale. But I wouldn’t say it’s bad by any means. It’s just not what I expected. Especially since the beer says pale on the side of the label. This isn’t your typical pale. But like I said, it’s not bad… it’s just not what you would expect when looking at the bottle or seeing it sit in the glass.

*Beware… this beer is VERY sour. If you don’t like sour stuff, stay away!

4.82/5  rDev +18.1%

From brew notes taken this past weekend:

A - Hazey orange with lots of yellow and white hues. Head is small with white foam.

S - Very peach, lots of funk in this one. Great scent.

T - Smooth. Slightly sour. Delicious peach flavor.

M - Very smooth. Great carbonation too. Zero bitterness.

O - AWESOME! Buy it if you can find it. Highly recommended.

4.08/5  rDev 0%

11.2oz bottle received as part of Amanti Vino's Beer of the Month program for June. This one was allowed to warm some from the fridge before being poured into my Bruery tulip.

Petrus Aged Pale pours a mildly hazy tangerine. Nearly two fingers of cream colored head sprout up initially, but soon fizz away without putting up much of a fight. The smell is fairly tart, but with a sweet, pale fruit component to it as well. The flavor adds more layers to that base, giving the beer more of a refined edge. A sharp tartness is definitely what jumps out right from the first sip. Once my palate was acclimated to the acidity though, the rest of the beer began to really shine through. Green apple skin and peaches provide a sweetness that helps counteract the beer's dominant sour characteristic. The back end of each sip highlights a delicate oak/cherry pit note that really elevates the beer. The body is appropriately light for a relatively small sour beer, and the carbonation serves its purpose of preventing the beer from turning into a syrup, and nothing more. I haven't had Petrus Oude Bruin, but if the final beer is as good as this thread that goes into it is, I'll be in for a hell of a brew.

3.08/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into tulip glass..dark yellow with quickly dissappeared head...looks like apple juice. Smells of citrus..and formaldahyde.

Tastes of sour patch kids with a dose of laffy taffy. Definately an acquired taste that I'm not sure I have acquired but is good for style. Definately a slow sipping beer.. not for sessioning.

Since my beer no head with minimal lacing, I will try another once I have the chance...but taste wise, my beer tasted fresh.

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

a - tan and gold with a slight red/pink tint. bubbly finger thick head that diminishes to a decent collar. medium - high carbonation meets the eye.

s - fruity, peachy, funky.. it has some of that red flanders sweet but sour cherry/fruit to it but more tame and malty. you can definitely smell the barrels.

t - sour peach and barnyard/funky earthy notes. only slightly sour, but a good amount. no tease. kinda hard to put my finger on this one.

m - light - medium body and very drinkable. sometimes sours can be a kick in the pallet (haha..) and can be slightly off putting (although i never really have that problem) but this is definitely something to drink a few of. light enough to put a couple down, but still something to savor and enjoy.

o - not too bad. i only say that cause it takes a little more character and definition for a sour to really wow me. it would be a great start to someone who has never ventured into this type of brew, at least to get an idea of what a sour be is like.

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

Got a bottle of this at Pizzeria Paradiso in Alexandria the other day. Served in a tulip.

Pours a clear golden-apricot color with a short white head and some nice spotty lacing on the way down. The nose brings forward a bit of green apple and hay, along with a good amount of funk. Light funk, but good in terms of how forward the beer was with it. The flavor brought some acidity and apple skin. Golden color was the first hint that this isn't really an Oud Bruin, and the flavor is another. Bright acidity and some light stone fruits. This was a really interesting beer and I'd certainly have it again.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance - golden color, decent head, lingers a bit

Smell - amazing, raisins, port, cloves, just delicious smelling, had to convince myself to drink it and quit smelling it at the bar and looking like an asshole

Taste - much the same, not as terrific but definitely nice, get a bit of alcohol, not hot more like stingy rubbing alochol, but its not off putting, a bit sour and definitely some vinegar

Mouthfeel - light body, good carbonation, sessionable

4.12/5  rDev +1%

A - Very light gold, with little head.

S - Wow, I have never smelled a beer like this before. I can actually smell the tartness. Sour apples and various citrus are the most dominant, with a little of the oak barrel in the back.

T - Exactly like it smells. All of the aromas come out in flavor, with a good amount of sourness. Relatively fruity, with very little malt or hop flavor. In the back, I can definitely taste the oak, but it's subtle.

M - Good carbonation, very light in body, and very drinkable. Alcohol is so well hidden, you would never know this is beer.

O - Excellent beer. This is my first sour beer, but I loved it, and I will be back for more.

330 mL bottle poured into a goblet.

Appearance - Between copper and golden colored body. Very pale for an Oud Bruin. Small head that doesn't last long. Some lacing on the surface, but not a lot of action, really.

Smell - Sour apples and lemon tartness. A bit of yeastiness lingers, but the tart smells are dominant.

Taste - Much like the smell. Sour apples and citrus tartness. I don't get the oak that other reviews have said, which I kind of like. Very crisp flavor, even if it's not just tart. The aftertaste has just a hint of sweetness, or maybe it's just the sourness dying off.

Mouthfeel - Good carbonation that makes it feel light. It's light in itself, but there is an oily feeling that is left on the tongue after the swallow. Interesting, but not bad.

Overall - I don't think this is an Oud Bruin at all. I'm no expert, but this is too light and has a different sort of sour to it. I really like it, but I don't know about the category.

4.27/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a slightly hazy copper color with a tight soapy head and a little bit of lacing. The aroma is of sour cherries oak notes and some green apples. The taste has a big sour apple flavor with hints of sour cherries and a hint of citrus. The oakiness of the barrels is presebt throughout. The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated. Overall very good beer, a light very easy drink. The flavor is nice and smooth and makes you want more.

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

First had: on tap at Monk's, Philly, PA

Pours a slightly hazy, golden yellow with a small bubbly white head. Some phenols in the aroma, along with sour apple and citrus. Light toasted malts in the taste, quickly overcome by sour apple, lemonade, orange zest and sour cherries. Finishes with a bitter, funky dryness. Medium mouthfeel, and pretty drinkable, unless you don't like sour ales.

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

An 8 oz. pour in a highball glass at the Whip In, Austin.

Golden with a slight haze, little head, but OK lace. Aroma is sour cherries with a hint of oakiness, as is the predominant flavor. Nice acidity and sourness up front with a noticeable bitter finish. Light body and lively mouth feel with plenty of carbonation.

Update
10 oz pour at Malt and Vine, Redmond, WA on 5/9/13. No haziness with a bit of alcohol at the finish. Band-Aid and bubblegum flavor characteristics.

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Bottle thanks to pmlondrigan, thanks Paul. Poured into a Lost Abbey tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a slightly dark golden color with a decent layer of head that quickly settles to a thin ring around the glass.

Smell: Sour right off the bat, hints of wine, funk, oak lemon and faint cherries.

Taste: Tart cherries, sour lemon, hints of oak, sour green apples. Very tasty and complex.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly mouth puckering. Light bodied and carbonated perfectly.

Overall: I think this is a very enjoyable beer that flies under the radar since it is readily available, but it is really damn good. Definitely going to have to pick up some more.

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

From an 11.2 oz bottle in an Ithaca Exclesior! tulip.

A - Gold in color with a slight orange tint. A two and a half finger head quickly falls leaving lacing reminiscent of a BSPA.

S- A bit of lacto-funkiness, not too overpowering with heavy fruitiness for the style . Tart apple, pineapple, and mango predominate. A bit of pit fruit as well.

T- Quite tart, oak flavor balance well with the tartness and sweetness provided by the fruit. Not as complex as many of the style, more of a very balanced nature.

M- Low carbonation after the initial pour, quite puckering, but overall a medium body.

O- At the pricepoint, it is hard to beat. Nice everyday Oud Bruin.

4.57/5  rDev +12%

Served on tap at FFF brewpub

Nice golden color. Very bright and clear. Fluffy white head of 2 fingers.
Smells of sour lemons, light oak, little vinegar?-- very nice.
Taste has awesome tartness and sour citrus notes. This tastes fantastic.

The body is light, almost like a white wine. Low carbonation. Very nice.

Overall-- this IS the poor man's Beatification. Is it as good? No. Is it similar enough to satisfy my craving without killing myself trading for Beatification? Yeah, absolutely. Dry and sour, mostly citrus notes. The only thing missing is the funk and oak-- but, as stated, this is merely an acceptable substitute.

I'm a bit surprised this beer only gets a B+.
it is delicious... And cheap. That's win/win!

3.86/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a rich golden color that is very clear. Has a nice head that is off white with good retention.
Aroma has notes of Chardonnay wine with hints of cider.
Again the taste make me think of white wine initially, then transitions to a cider taste. Very tart.

Overall, this is the firt of this style of beer for me. Definitely a change of pace from the usual IPA or stout.

I think this would be a really good beer for friends that are really into wine.

Petrus Aged Pale from De Brabandere