Petrus Aged Pale - De Brabandere

Petrus Aged PalePetrus Aged Pale

De Brabandere visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.30% ABV

Developed from Petrus Oud Bruin; a paler version of a traditional local style.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Petrus Aged Pale Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

The beer pours a light yellow color with a white head. The aroma is very tart with vanilla and oak notes. The flavor is tart lemons with some oak. The beer is extremely dry and makes you keep drinking it. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. An excellent, budget sour.

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Petrus Aged Pale-Grande Reserve

Speaking of aging, this bottle has been in my fridge over 6 months, I think. Bought it on someone's recommendation. Had on at Grumpy's NE on tap, again on recommendation, and yet I let this bottle sit there until today. Enough of my yakkin, let's drink up.

Clear, pale yellow, highly carbonated, slim slab of fizzy foam.

Aroma: citrus-y notes, peppery spice, and farmhouse funk.

Taste: tart, sour, crisp, and then dry. Much like a cider, but very mellow. Light bodied, with a dry, even finish. Very elegant. I can feel the pale ale underneath, and it's amazing what dramatic turns it took while resting in the oak barrel.
(Though I am wondering if I waited too long, is that possible?)

That said, and despite the many likable qualities of this ale, it just doesn't float my boat. Seems lacking in character, or at least the kind of character I'd like to send past my gums. I probably won't buy one again any time soon, but you probably should.

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a bottle into my .3L Stiegl Tulip

A - Golden-Orange with a nice bubbly white head

S - Pale malts with a hint of the funk. A hint of sourness at the end that already begins to make my mouth pucker.

T - Not incredibly sour but does provide a little bit of bite. Sour grape taste with a hint of scuppernong flavor. Hints of belgian malt are in there.

M - Good carbonation with a medium body.

D - Pretty easy drinking Oud Bruin. I prefer sour beers that really make my mouth pucker but this one is pretty good. It is real nice to find a beer that gives you a nice sour taste in a smaller bottle. While not an amazing beer this one is pretty good and really good considering the difficulty to find beers of this style at this price point. I would drink it again.

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

A: Pours a clear golden/orange color. A pillowing two finger white head forms with good retention. Sticky lace is left behind.
S: Tart fruits of lemon and orange. Vinegar and sweet malt. Musky and dank.
T: Mouth puckering tart, sour lemon flavor. Sweet malt and vinegar.
M/D: A medium body that is crisp and refreshing. The alcohol and tartness makes the bottle a little harder to drink than I would like. A one and done.

I love me some sour beers. Though this is a little one dimensional. Basically just tart and sour lemons. Not much is going on. Not something I am going to get again.

3.65/5  rDev -10.5%

Pours a golden light brown color with a tight white head that dissipates into a solid ring. The aroma is of the oak cask, tart and sour. There is also a sugary aroma that pops through. Clearly oaked aged. A big lemony tart/sour flavor. Perhaps too lemony as you don't really pick up any actual oak flavors. There is a seltzer water type flavor as well. I guess what is disappointing is that the rest of the beer doesn't show up. I would like to see hints of malt and yeast but all I really pick up is the sour. There is a very very very light cider like flavor. There is a bitter aspect towards the finish, kind of woody. The feel is light, fizzy and puckering which is what I would expect from a sour. Again some bitterness in the finish. I'm not an expert on this style so not too much to base this beer on. The sour flavors are nice but, to me, needs to have a touch of other flavors as well.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very clear hay yellow straw color with a decent white head that quickly settles to just the edges.

Taste of oak, lemon, pale malts, nice sour flavor profile that is well rounded and complex. There is a nice lemony puckering sour that is very well done, and more pronounced than some of the other sours I have had recently.

Overall, a great beer for the price. A six pack of these would be entirely worth the $30 in addition to the fact that you don't have to drink 750 mls in one sitting if having by yourself.

Medium mouthfeel with plenty of carbonation. A great sour in a standard 12 oz bottle. Recommended

A - Poured a golden color with a white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is a nose of tart fruit

T - Follows the nose with a tart fruit flavor

M - This beer has a light body with high carbonation to it

D - As a person that likes tart and sour beer this was a pleasnt surprise after the first sniff and beyond if sour beers are your thing it's worth picking some of this up to try

Pours a very pretty golden color with a very nice ring of whitish head.
Smell is a tart with a wild yeast smell on the nose.
Taste starts with an acrid spice- wild dark fruit with a great yeasty end.
Finish is straight dry with a great acrid finish.
Drinks very well- wild taste is well managed and close to being able to drink more than one.

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a light brown with about a finger of head. The aroma is a slightly acrid vinegar-like smell. The taste is an amazing sour funky goodness. It's not the best sour I'v ever had, but its very close. Tomorrow I'm going to go back to my local beer shop and buy them out of this. I've wanted to taste Petrus for a really long time. Apparently I've been missing out. This stuff is great.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Pours the color and clarity of a fine scotch. The head wasn't much to write home about as long as it was poured carefully.

S - Funky, sour notes, and some Belgian yeast.

T - All the classic sour flavors of infected homebrew...or an Oud Bruin. Lots of dried fruit along with fantastic sour flavors and some slight notes of yeast and Belgian malt

M/D - Mouthfeel was smooth for a sour and went down well. This is incredibly drinkable and I may have to hit the store and pick up the west.

2.58/5  rDev -36.8%

Pours Golden yellow into a tuplip glass

Good head, though rather quickly dissipating

tastes overwhelmingly sour to the exclusion of all else

i let it warm up some more for about 15 minutes,
the malt came out a little, but still far too unbalanced towards the sour with the kind of taste I would expect in fizzy lemon juice

this is not a beer I would buy again

3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a small white head that has ok retention and little to no lacing.

Smells of cloves and cinnamin and sweet caramelized pears and peaches and sour grapes. So complex.

Taste is very sour with a sour/sweet grape pie filling with a tangy bitterness that linger forever. Apples and strong grapes dominate for sure.

sweet silky mouthfeel with a slighty dry but not too dry finish.

It has an ok drinkability, but I couldn't possibly session this one.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

pours a nice orange color with decent head and retention.

smell is dry and funky like a barnyard with a touch of raisin and apple with sour grapes.

taste is very sour with a touch of apple tartness. very dry body as well. very appropriate levels of sourness with some interesting fruit complexity.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

11.2oz bottle picked up in NY a few weeks ago. The last time I've had this was about two years ago and then that was a 5 year old bottle at the time.

A glowing powerful golden beer with some yellowish streaks on the outlay of the glass, this looks very close to heaven in a bottle, the liquid is inviting. A rush of Ivory colored foam sits on top about an inch in height with some sticking ability, sheets down the glass. Belgian indeed.

This fresh bottle really showcases what this beer is about, which is the funky tartness that your about to inbide in. A heaping of acididy mixed in with some grapefruit, lemon and orange slices. The nose is really powerful on this. Some barnyard aroma with a dousing of oak, that may or may not have come from a wine barrel. Of course there is sweet scents as well with slight vanilla and even less sugar vibes.

I gotta say, this stuff is excellent, I really can't find a fault with it. The aged bottles I've had, while good, did not open my eyes like this young bottle. The fruit is more pronounced while in the past i've gotten alot of oak bombs from this beer. The yeast in this beer at this young stage is alive and dancing up a jig with tartness/ slight funk and overall deliciousness. Oak/vanilla tannins. This is what Belgian beer is all about.

There is just enough tartness to make me pucker (in a good way) for a bit after I sip, that's great, that's what I look for. But the tartness is not at a level to make your tounge cringe, it's pretty much perfect. The flavors in this just dance on my tounge so expertly that I want to stop writing and just enjoy this ride. A lighter than medium feel with a lively and spritzy carbonation.

This beer is alive, and it's damn tasty, and a pleasure to drink. Im a sour head, so this is right up my alley, but I can see why some people would throw up even attempting to drink a beer this good. It's not for everybody, but it's for me. This is one sour that I would drink three bottles of in a night and have thoughts to do it again the next night. Top notch!

Edit (2009-2010)- Damn, Bavik, I know Philly is mad lucrative for breweries, but you guys must of sent at least 150 kegs of this stuff over here. It's on at at least 25 bars that I know of right now. Im bombared by this goodness and im becoming broke because of it, please stop!

A - golden, slight haze, thin white head, sticky lace

S - tartness, light wood, cider, white wine, some funky barnyard

T - funk is more pronounced in the flavour, sharp sourness, not a lot of fruit character, definitely lemon, possibly some peach, aftertaste is almost woody/cedar-like,

M - medium carbonation, very fluffy and light mouthfeel, bone dry finish

D - not my absolute favourite sour ale, but there ain't a damn thing wrong with it either, a very dependable standby.

Quite a nice sour, sweetness is low, but still has a hint. Very unbeer-like, which to me is an indication of a good sour, if that makes sense. I'd love to pair this with some stinky cheeses (unfortunately, I'm all out at the moment). Very solid, I would never turn down the chance to have some.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

A: Poured golden orange with a little head. There's a low to moderate level of carbonation.
S: The aroma is rather sour with some hints of fruit and oak.
T: There's a very sour taste with oak undertones and a somewhat dry, tart finish. The flavor is rather interesting.
M: It feels crisp and light- to medium-bodied on the palate.
D: It's relatively easy to drink (particularly if you like sourness) but I can't see myself having more than one of these in a single sitting.

2.88/5  rDev -29.4%

Served in a champagne flute at a local beer tasting event.

A: Clear golden. Nice thick head with lots of bubbly effervescence.

S: Sour lemony aroma with a little woody oak tones.

T: Very, very tart, almost like a sour candy with vinegar. I'm not an expert in this category, and I realize it's intended to have this tartness, but it was a bit much for my taste. I wasn't picking up any of the woody notes from aging in barrel -- I just get sourness.

M: Medium bodied, maybe even a bit thin on the palate.

D: I would think it's best served perhaps as an apertif before a meal. I wouldn't think it would go well with most foods. Not my favorite, but it's interesting to try.

4.65/5  rDev +14%

Pours a golden color with a nice large head that laces like no other beer I have seen before.
Smells WiLd and zAnY! Strong strong green apple esters. Potent and overwhelming almost in smell.
Tastes strongly of green apple, with a little bit of tanginess. This is one of the more extreme tasting beers I have ever had. The oak cask aging imparts so much that I would not have expected and am very happy to have tasted.

Edit: Lots of sour yeast.

3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

had this compaired with petrus oud bruin.

smell of wild yeast, some citrus, and a touch of malt.

taste is tart, sour malt, wild yeast, and some woodiness, ends acidic, tart, and a tad bitter.

overall too tart for my liking, the petrus oud bruin is better.

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

pours a slightly hazy gold with a finger or so of quickly disappearing white head. no lacing.

very dry and tart, seems like a belgian gold was once there but has now been overthrown by a heavy sour oaky taste. a slight hint of alchohol heat which i am enjoying.

mouthfeel: expect dry cheeks constantly being washed by a salivating throat. exactly what i was looking for. although it is somewhat sour it is still refereshing, crisp and easy to drink.

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

12oz bottle as part of a sampler pack

App: Dark gold/light amber. Seriously cloudy. Hardly any head, but sticky lace.

Smell: Tons of fruit--sour cherries, granny smith apples, plum skin, grapes. Thick, honey-like malt backbone with a hint of grain.

Taste: Strong sour flavor upfront. Lemon seems like too obvious of a flavor comparison, but it's an accurate description. Ends sweet and grainy on the flanks of the palate. Slight herbal bitterness. Let's see how it warms--the tartness mellows, the grainy malt and herbal hops become more prevalent.

Disappointing body--too light and thin.

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%

A- A clear golden color with some streams of carbonation keeping the 1 finger-thick white head alive. Not much meat on its bones.

S- Very aromatic. The strong funk and floral aspects hit at first. Extremely complex and intriguing. I am seriously digging this.

T- Oh man... this is unbelievably tart and sour. It is hard to pick out specific flavors, but there is a lot of funk and sourness that gets rounded out nicely by some sweetness on the tail end.

M- Very acidic and dry, in a good way. Leaves my mouth feeling like i gargles with vinegar. Awesome.

D- For the ABV and strong flavors, I notice my glass emptying faster than expected. Very tasty. Worth seeking out if you need to get your sour fix.

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

As far as sours go I have yet to fully explore them. Given that caveat, I will proceed to give you my take on this brew.

The appearance is fairly standard as far as I am concerned. However, there may be a bias present given the fact that I usually only review beers that tend to be rater higher. The color is a cloudy amber and the foam is both white and frothy.

The aroma is interesting as there has a definite tart/vinegary quality to it. There is some subtle fruity undertones as well.

The taste has a lot going on. Now I was unable to pick out a rather interesting taste I was getting, but after further cross referencing I believe it was a mix of oak and sour apple along with a helpful malty backbone. There is some light alcohol heat at the swallow and the lingering sourness covers up the bitter aspect, which does a nice job of balancing out the beer. Like I said, there is a lot of complexity with the sweet, sour, and bitter interaction.

The beer is on the more acidic side and has a tongue drying quality to it. As far as feel goes it certainly does a good job of blanketing mouth. Throughout the experience the beer maintains its character and the mouth drying aspect I believe adds to its drinkability.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

A rather unassuming bottle that I passed on the shelf countless times. I decided to go for it and bring it home a few weeks ago. Grabbed from the fridge this evening and served chilled. Consumed on 03/26/2010.

Nice pour leads to a golden orange color that is very hazy and clouded over. Nice head, an inch at highest settled down but left a good bit of lacing down the sides of the glass. Aroma is tart, pears, sour apples, hints of fruit everywhere. Warming brings up grape skins and a touch of earthy grains. Nice clean flavor. Warming as the first sips wash across the tongue the pear and apple dominates and a light vinegar touch starts to come through. Light body with a smooth, even finish. Super drinkable and perfect for this warm night.

Overall very solid. Was not expecting it to be as light and drinkable as it was. Would have no issue with this one again.

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

A: vigorous pour leads to dense cream head that dissolves in thin sudsy film, delicate lacing surrounds a crystal clear bright bronze

S: yeasty floral notes, green apple and pear, light spice in the background, faint straw

T: crisp pear, light white win vinegar notes, citrus-like tartness with faint sweetness

M: nice modest puckering, lingering stickiness in the back of the throat, very refreshing bubbles

D: very refreshing and drinkable, definitely a sip and savor brew but great flavors and mouthfeel

Petrus Aged Pale from De Brabandere