Petrus Aged Pale - De Brabandere

Petrus Aged PalePetrus Aged Pale

De Brabandere visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  7.30% ABV

Developed from Petrus Oud Bruin; a paler version of a traditional local style.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Petrus Aged Pale Alström Bros
2.68/5  rDev -34.3%

Tasted at 2003 Kempisch Bierfestival in Geel, Belgium...

Appearance: light amber, sudsy white foam (a thin layer), OK retention

Aroma: berry-like tartness, slightly yoghurty, a bit woody, worcestershire sauce

Flavor: citricly sour, slightly gueuze-like, some hints of that horsey Brett character, a bit harsh in the dry finish

Mouthfeel: light body, champagne-like carbonation, acidic

Overall Impression: A neutral beer Petrus makes to blend with their regional offerings. It is also intended for export to the US, though it is not for sale here commercially. That's OK because I'd rather spend my time with a good gueuze instead of this stuff. I ordered this one based on my server's recommendation, but I wished that I had disregarded him instead.

GreenCard, Sep 21, 2003
2.68/5  rDev -34.3%

This beer tasted essentially like an extremely tart white wine. I don't know if my bottle was improperly stored or what but I could barely finish this. All I could taste was sour acid, all traces of 'pale ale' i guess were overtaken by the ageing process.

mike24, Jul 30, 2008
2.7/5  rDev -33.8%

A clear apricot colored ale with a notable amount of chill haze. A medium sized white head forms and then disappears.

The smell is sweet and sour with a little boozy edge much like a diluted Jack Daniel’s whiskey. There is the clear and sharp scent of acetic acid to this and this makes it a little Lambic like. I should mention that in general I am not a fan of sour beers. Once past the vinegar smell there is vanilla, oak, and a little cinnamon in the scent.

The taste starts as sweet and sour and fairly similar to a sweeter and less harsh version of a lambic ale. The sourness however isn't nausea inducing and I do not get the sensation of drinking a glass of vinegar like many Lambics do. This is a definite bug beer for those who like the funk. Not harshly sour this is like a Berliner Weiss without syrup. In the end all I can taste is sweet and sour and oak.

The mouthfeel is OK.

If you do not like sour beers then you will not like this. If I had known that this was a sour beer I would not have bought it so buyer beware. This is basically a training lambic for those that wish to develop a taste for them. I will not be buying this beer again I did not like it.

Zorro, Jul 17, 2007

Scarflower, Sep 20, 2013

rab53, Nov 25, 2011

docrates, Jun 09, 2013
2.79/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured into my DHF chalice.

A - Pours a honey/copper color. Poured rather cloudy and I was careful not to empty the dregs into the glass. Minimal white rocky head. Quickly disapates to a thin white layer. Some minimal white lacing. Average carbonation.

A - Sour, spice, faint sour milk, musty.

T - Sour, stomach acid pukey taste - quite a shock to the system, faint sweetness up front with strong sour in the finish.

MF - Fizzy and sharp on the palate.

O - Too sour for me. I like my flanders with a bit more sweetness for balance. A sipping beer. No swiling this brew.

Sludgeman, Mar 28, 2013
2.88/5  rDev -29.4%

Served in a champagne flute at a local beer tasting event.

A: Clear golden. Nice thick head with lots of bubbly effervescence.

S: Sour lemony aroma with a little woody oak tones.

T: Very, very tart, almost like a sour candy with vinegar. I'm not an expert in this category, and I realize it's intended to have this tartness, but it was a bit much for my taste. I wasn't picking up any of the woody notes from aging in barrel -- I just get sourness.

M: Medium bodied, maybe even a bit thin on the palate.

D: I would think it's best served perhaps as an apertif before a meal. I wouldn't think it would go well with most foods. Not my favorite, but it's interesting to try.

chaz01, Apr 10, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -28.9%

A golden yellow, slightly hazy Belgian Ale with a small white head that stays to the finish. There is a sourness to the smell with a bubblegum undertone. The taste is most definitely sour, peppery, with a citrus bitter finish. It is very winey tasting also. It has an overall firmness in my mouth. This ale definitely tastes much better after it warms up a bit, to its proper drinking temperature, when cold it tastes very sour and almost vinegary. It is very complex, and I definitely liked it better as it got warmer, even then it still has a sour taste (it kind of grows on you though, at least it did to me). Not my favorite but, I think this ale is more of an acquired taste.

(source: Great Beers of Belgium)

Bunnyhop, Jan 28, 2003
2.95/5  rDev -27.7%

Purchased a 11.2 fl oz bottle that produced a hazy, golden colored body with almost no head whatsoever and no lace. The immediate taste that came to my mind when first trying this beer was a resemblance to grains with some sourness. Like some of the other Petrus beers, it has some taste, but eventually fades into something that can only be defined as watery. I wouldn't buy this beer again, but I'm not disappointed that I bought it. It lacks character, but it isn't offensive.

germanbeer1, May 24, 2009