Wittekerke - De Brabandere

good

good

De Brabandere visit their website

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-29-2002)
View: Beers (32) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wittekerke Alström Bros
spoonhawk

Iowa

11-23-2011 23:40:36 | More by spoonhawk
gnow

04-02-2012 02:35:31 | More by gnow
silenius

1.5/5  rDev -58%

Pours a thin lemon yellowish with the whitest rocky head I have ever seen. Oddly white. That was cool. THe big yeasty chunks suspended in the beer turn me off a bit. The average of the two is, well, average. This beer does lace.

The smell is a hint of lemon and bread.

One sip and. . . oh god, awful. Like drinking a flour and water mixture. Nasty. This one gets dumped down the drain. glug glug glug.

04-24-2004 03:55:01 | More by silenius
ZenAgnostic

1.55/5  rDev -56.6%

Bottom of can stamped 14-08-2012. Poured into a Trois Pistoles goblet.

Appearance - Pale cloudy yellow. Line pineapple juice, but a bit more pale. Thin white head with beautiful lacing.

Smell - Corn? The heck? Not much else. Boring.

Taste - Musky. Corny. Very metallic finish and aftertaste. Ruins the beer. Must be a bad can, because I don't imagine anyone would ever approve mass producing this as it stands...

Mouthfeel - Super astringent to the point of being pretty gross. In fact, this may be the most astringent beer I've ever come across. Must be aluminum leeching into the beer or something. Gross.

Overall Drinkability - I'm going to have to review this again some other day just to make sure this wasn't a bad can. As it stands it's a horrible beer that I never want to have again, but feel obligated to just to make sure it wasn't skunked.

09-09-2011 01:28:30 | More by ZenAgnostic
Portertime

1.73/5  rDev -51.5%

I do believe I have had my first skunk beer. Yikes! If you are reading this review, don't base your opinion by it! Got this beer from Total Wine and More in Fort Myers. Poured a decent straw color with some haziness and a small white head. Smell was of sweet citrus notes and some floral to it. The first sip made my lips pucker. It was so acrid I could hardly swallow it. The next sip was just and bad that even gave my throat a burning sensation. I belive this one may have turned to the darkside. I will have to try another fresh one sometime.

05-17-2008 15:51:18 | More by Portertime
ccrida

Oregon

1.88/5  rDev -47.3%

Poured from draft in the breweries tall, thin frosted glass, the Witterkerke was a nice and cloudy, pale straw colored brew with a very thin white head, that dissipated fairly quickly to nothing.
Took a wiff, and whoa, not good! Totally sulfury like rotten eggs, yuk.
The initial taste is sour and tart and definately dominated by that sulfer oder. It then gains a bit of sweetness and finishes grassy, but without an aftertaste.
The body was light and pleasantly carbonated, but there was zero drinkability to this in my mind. Wild beers are one thing, but that sulfur bit was too much.
I'm not sure if this keg was bad, as I see my experience was different then all the reviewers of the bottled version. The Sharp Edge didn't think so, although they agreed it sucked and gave me another beer on the house. If I ever get around to trying this out of a bottle or on draft somewhere else, I'll revisit my review, but for now I'm basing it on that very unpleasant experience.

02-15-2007 16:14:02 | More by ccrida
aasher

Indiana

This one pours a very, very light and bright almost somewhat hydrated urine yellow in color. It smells of light malts with a strange funk. It doesn't smell like someone would do this intentionally. It almost smells like BMC salty grains. No bueno. It is sooo light and there really isn't anything wit related present. It's the lightest wit I've seen, it's the lightest wit I'm smelled, it's the lightest wit I've tasted. It doesn't feature the normal flavors or aromas. This is far below average in my opinion. It's thin in body and the flavor is so off that this isn't even drinkable. I know this is fresh yet it falls sooo flat. Oh well. Avoid this one.

08-07-2011 04:46:52 | More by aasher
KonigObHops

I have never had a Mic Ultra, but I'm guessing that this is similar.

The appearance is extremely pale yellow (almost white). The head is a creamy white.

The aroma is non-existent.

The beginning, middle, and end is all the same in terms of taste... This beer tastes like a Sprite.

Overall, I cannot recommend this beer to anyone, even if you love a good Wit Bier.

04-24-2011 19:28:59 | More by KonigObHops
TerrapinWakenBake

11-18-2012 20:08:14 | More by TerrapinWakenBake
ktrillionaire

2.08/5  rDev -41.7%

A - Looks like a lemon meringue at first, before the head dissipates.

S - Smells like BMC. Not getting any familiar wit.

T - Tastes like BMC. If this was marketed as an alternative to Bud Light Wheat, it would perhaps seem decent under that guise; as a Witbier, you've got to be kidding me. Swill. Not even in the same universe as (ubiquitous lowly example) Blue Moon.

M - Blehhh.

D - This beer is an outright embarrassment.

07-17-2010 17:32:25 | More by ktrillionaire
woosterbill

Connecticut

2.17/5  rDev -39.2%

On-tap at the New Rudy's into it's proper glass.

A: Cloudy straw-colored body beneath an inch of creamy white head. Nice retention, decent lace. Ok.

S: Huh. Smells more like a Pils than a Wit. Very crisp, biscuity malt is dominant, with just a bit of floral, herbal hops on the back end. Way, way off for the style.

T: Slightly spicy malt, faint herbal hops. Nothing like a Wit.

M: Lively to a fault. Super frothy, medium body. Crazy bubbly.

O: I really wonder whether the bartender didn't pour the wrong beer into the right glass; it sure looked like a Witbier, though, so I don't think so. I think this beer just kind of sucks.

Cheers!

09-20-2011 01:13:45 | More by woosterbill
deapokid

2.23/5  rDev -37.5%

This odd little witbier caught my eye with its generic label and $.99 price tag.

Pours a thin, cloudy yellow. Head is initially huge, but fades quickly, as does the lacing. Carbonation seems a bit lifeless. Color is reminiscent of chicken broth.

Aroma is curt and to the point, since lemon juice seems to be the only thing on display. As the beer warms, a harsh skunkiness rears its ugly head. I hope this isn't due to improper storage.

Flavor is tart and lemony with a certain indiscernible artificial quality. It's rather watery and is completely lacking in spice, citrus and banana esthers. It doesn't really taste like a wit whatsoever and is strikingly unappealing.

Completely lacking the body and spicy flavor I expect from a witbier, this ends up resembling an American light lager in its bitter metallic aftertaste. Although it's thin enough for heavy consumption, I can't imagine anyone wanting to drink something that is so unappealing and uninspired.

07-25-2010 17:57:02 | More by deapokid
stcules

Italy

2.23/5  rDev -37.5%

Hazy greenish appearance. White foam, average in compactness.
Classic witbier notes: wheat, spices, and it is also unusually hopped.
The taste: nothing to talk about, clean, again spices, ma without any peaks (or defects). The hop is noticeable in the taste too. All light: coriander, orange peel.
In the aftertaste the spices are slighter more present.
Surely drinkable.

08-17-2006 13:55:52 | More by stcules
jsh420

2.25/5  rDev -37%

pours cloudy yellowish white with a small white head that fades into a film that left no lacing

smell was the best thing about this beer and that is not saying much - lemon grassy earthy notes - no spice no wheat???

taste - i taste more can than wit - a lemon thin watery mess

mouthfeel is flat and watery

drinkability - yes you could pound these all day but what the point

10-31-2010 02:09:16 | More by jsh420
sirpsycho

2.25/5  rDev -37%

Bottle. Pours a pale blonde, small white head. Not a well done Wit in my opinion, aroma and taste were dominated by a vegetable smell/taste and yeast, sorta like celery or the like. Not to my liking when drinking a Wit. Won't be trying this one again.

02-14-2009 15:52:08 | More by sirpsycho
PhageLab

2.25/5  rDev -37%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A - Cloudy yellow brew with chunks of something suspended throughout the body. Decent head which settled to a thin layer, lots of nice lacing.

S - Hints of burning paper and lemon juice. Odd but not really that bad.

T - Artificial lemon flavoring with a very distinct medicine quality to it, maybe even pine sol. Aftertaste is reminiscent of lemon drops and melted plastic.

M - Light bodied, mildly carbonated, odd aftertaste.

D - Yo no tengo, one was more than enough for me, I see people drinking this at bars all the time, but I can't really see why.

05-21-2008 16:17:51 | More by PhageLab
nightcrawler

2.3/5  rDev -35.6%

This was the "Beer of the Month" at a local bar and came in a Wittekerke glass. It initially looked cloudy like a wit, but we discovered that this was because of the glass, not the beer itself which was pretty clear.

The smell was good, but I had a sense of "macrobrewed" on the tail end of it. When I tasted it, I could hardly find any sweet or bite of wheat in the flavor. I swear that someone had replaced their keg with a Bud Light Wheat.

The mouthfeel okay. It had the sizzle of a wit. But in the end, I dumped out the last quarter of the glass.

06-15-2011 22:18:17 | More by nightcrawler
BedetheVenerable

Missouri

2.35/5  rDev -34.2%

Presentation: 12oz attractive can; best-by date stamped on bottom

Appearance: Homemade lemonade yellow, hazy, w/lots of small particulate in suspension as well. Capped by a moderate (but tight and showing decent retention) white cap.

Smell: Hmmm. There is some lemon meringue pie action goin on here (the lemon custard, the creamy topping, the buttery crust, the whole deal) which is pretty nice. Maybe a light hint of some sorta spice I can't identify. This is all nice; what's not appreciate is a corny/adjuncty lager characteristic underneath it all, which comes across almost as strong as the nice stuff.

Taste: Damnit. Totally unsorted. Some lemon creme up front, lightly tart, then a big whop of adjuncty malt-liquor flavors...you know, how your favorite forty has that kinda grainy but somehow fuller/richer flavor than say, a Bud? Yah, that flavor. Acceptable when you buy a tall-boy of OE800 or the like, but not here. Odd metallic bitterness on the finish as well. Also there's kinda an odd, fruity/medicinal thing going on here, something like children's vitamins or asprin or something. Sorry.

Mouthfeel: Light

Drinkability: 1 can is more than enough thanks

Conclusion: I was looking through my reviews the other day, saw how low I'd rated this beer the one other time I had the canned version, and figured something MUST have been wrong w/that can. So I deleted the review and gave it another shot. Nope. It's just pretty bad. And this one is well within date too, so...My friend and I used to drink the Wittekerke bottles all the time and loved it; it was my first Belgian White that wasn't a Blue Moon. I dunno what's happened since then, or maybe my tastes have just changed THAT dramatically...at any rate, pass this one on by

09-04-2010 00:50:36 | More by BedetheVenerable
NA1NSXR

2.35/5  rDev -34.2%

Appearance - Quite ordinary for a white, pale and opaque, but not much head or lacing and low carbonation activity. Looks lazy.

Smell - Lemony and some grassy notes, not really any wheat or spice or even other citrus.

Taste - Lightly sour lemon up front and fades away. Slight wheat aftertaste but nothing I'd call a 'finish'. I don't know, this is awfully basic for a style where the complexity several elements of citrus, wheat, and spice are standard and expected. If you love lemon peel you might want to try this but with respect to the witbeer style this is severely lacking compared to others I've tried.

Mouthfeel - Crisp with a slight carbonation bite. Slightly watery finish.

Drinkability - With this flavor I don't really want another one. For lemon lovers this could be worth a try but its not my thing.

04-15-2010 05:12:59 | More by NA1NSXR

Oklahoma

04-08-2012 22:45:18 | More by MammothTarantula
Jesse13713

2.53/5  rDev -29.1%

Glass of the month at Winking Lizard Tavern. Served in a huge 1/2 liter pilsner glass. Shorter review since I was eating dinner.

Appearance - A very cloudy/murky off-yellow color. Rich soapy head that keeps its retention high throughout drinking. A very lemon-like appearance.

Smell - Light wheat and yeast. A bit of spice, but not really much else. Overall, pretty bland in the aroma department.

Taste - Definitely not as strong as other witbiers I've had. A nicely balanced blend of light wheat grain and banana. A bit musky with some faint spice and lemon taste. The flavors are very weak and overcome by the taste of corn.

Mouthfeel and Overall - This was the perfect beer to get with spicy wings. I could have easily drank this all night. Light bodied and extremely refreshing.

07-06-2012 01:18:30 | More by Jesse13713
freditoj

Alabama

2.58/5  rDev -27.7%

Appearance - Clear yellow color, good head that remains for a while.

Smell - no fruits or special aromas come out of the beer.

Taste - The beer had almost no taste, no fruits, maltiness or aromas felt. There was no balance in the flavors as it had none at all.

Mouthfeel - Feels like a light beer, thin watery feel. The beer was flat.

Overall - Not a very good beer, I would not drink it again.

09-01-2012 21:54:10 | More by freditoj