Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Petrus Oud Bruin - De Brabandere

Petrus Oud BruinPetrus Oud Bruin

De Brabandere visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-05-2002

Reviews: 572 | Hads: 1,219
1.59/5  rDev -56.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

In the future, I may be rereviewing this beer, as I wonder if I had a stale bottle. The pack came with two of the same type, and both bottles tasted the same. If I found it different, than I will. If not, I'll leave it as is.
Pours a deep, mud brown colour with a decent enough head. I'd estimate 7/10 of foam, with whisps of lace here and their. The smell is sweet, malty, and a bit cheesy. I'm assuming from the yeast. The taste is simply too cheesy for me. Is the yeast strain okay? It reminds me of Velveeta. I don't like it. Asides from that, their is a definite sweet and sour taste. Malty, with a bittering, earthy and cheesy aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and weak. Drinkable? Perhaps, if you like cheese. If not, I wouldn't bother trying this beer. The other two Petrus products I've had were considerably better.

1.66/5  rDev -54.8%

Best by: 23DEC12

A: pours cherry brown ale with a finger of latte foam which falls quickly to a solid sheet of the same. Near excellent clarity. No lace.

S: smells like metal and wood and some alcohol. A little bit of funk.

T: vinegar, hints of grape, vines, wood. Not good.

M: Really thin with hi carb, reminds me of an AAL.

O: This beer is not good.

1.71/5  rDev -53.4%

When poured it showed a medium amber brown with very little foam. The smell of a spicy hop filled my nose which was the tops of this beer. The taste was of a tart sour beer that had be aged to long and saw the sink drain before the first sip settled on my palate. Blah, what an awful beer to put on the market. One on my 10 most awful beers on my list!

1.78/5  rDev -51.5%

Deep red color, with ruby reflexes. Beige foam, not too compact, decent, anyway.
In the smell some sourness, but there is something too sweet. When it warms, it is even worse.
The taste: no. Sweetish imitation of an oud bruin. Sweet strawberry, syrupy. And the sourness?
The aftertaste too issweet and syrupy, with a light point of bitterness.

2.21/5  rDev -39.8%

Bottle at Pizzeria Paradiso in Old Town the other day. Served in a tulip alongside Petrus Aged Pale.

Pours a rusty amber color with a short off-white head and a few spots of lacing on the sides of the glass. The nose carries some light bready malt and a bit of caramel. Amber malt. Some cherry and very light oak and acidity. The flavor brings some moderate malt and a touch of sweetness with light fruits. No real oak or acidity. Way, way off style. I don't get much of even a note of sourness out of this one. While I'm up for interpretation of styles, if you're going to call a beer an "Oud Bruin," it'd better have something more than light malt and a touch of fruit going on.

2.22/5  rDev -39.5%

Bottle. Poured a dark reddish brown mahagony with a nice 2 finger head that slowly dissipates. Woody sour notes in the nose. Watery very slight sour taste is the first thought that runs through my head as I take my first sip. Fairly light mouthfeel on this one. Not really that good for a sour ale. Really not sour at all. Slight bitter end. Looks a lot better than it tastes or smells. Glad I only bought 1 to try it.

2.31/5  rDev -37.1%

A-brown, not a thick brown. uneven light tan head. very bubbly

S-smells like molasses and brown sugar. mild strength

T-hmmm this is quite interesting. if i were to close my eyes and taste this...i'd say its a sparkling red wine! the only differing taste is a slight hint of molasses that comes in with the after-taste. not sure if its the style or the beer...but this is not for me. there's a sourness to it as well.

M-medium to heavy carbonation with a dry finish.

D-well considering I wanted it to be over once I took my first sip...I'll say this isn't too drinkable. i feel this is a beer for wine lovers but not for too many beer lovers. a full bottle is difficult to finish.

2.33/5  rDev -36.5%

Small brown 8.4oz bottle. Label depicts oak casks this is aged in for 2 years.

Burgundy to brown color. Thin, light, fizzy white head. Smell is sweet and sour combination of lambic like. Very sour apples smells, some subtle oak undertones. It went downhill from there. Taste was a highly carbonated, overly charged sour apples. Soda pop like feel, supercharged, just couldn't get anything going. Nearly lambic like in the sour carbonated finish. The label claims it is stored in oak casks for 2 years. This tastes like it was stored in an oak shoe and dirty sock for 2 years. To higly carbonated, thin, and flat out wierd tastes going on here. Very tough to finish, doesn't improve at is warms. I hope I got a bad batch. Not good.

2.36/5  rDev -35.7%

Color is dark to dark reddish. The head is thick and stays very well after a hard pour and leaves some nice lacings behind as it falls.

Smell is sour and very slightly sweet with some oak and smokiness. Also smells a bit like a lager and a wheat beer together, only sour.

Taste is listless. Watery with slight tones of what the smell is.

Mouthfeel is ok, a little smooth, but also pretty watery.

I don't think I would drink this again unless it's from the brewery.

2.39/5  rDev -34.9%

Part of the same holiday gift 6-pack. I thought I got a deal paying 10$ (down from 22$). This is the 2nd beer I've tasted and I'm starting to think 5$ for the 6 pack would be more fair.

Appearance is the best thing this beer has going for it. Pours a nice, dark brown. Good, thick frothy head. All down hill after that.

Apple vinegar nose. Absoutely no oak flavor. This ale was supposedly aged in oak for 20 months. Perhaps it was aged in old oak barrels that contained apple cider and weren’t properly cleaned. Tastes like a 1/4 Newcastle brown mixed with 3/4 of an apple cider. Quite drinkable if you like the combo. If you want a cider with some color and body this would be a good choice. If you want something that remotely resembles a beer, let alone Belgian, or oaked/aged beer, stay very far away.

One of the most disappointing, but not worst, beers I have ever tasted.

2.46/5  rDev -33%

I poured this 11.2 oz. beer into a Chimay chalice. No best by date apparent.

A: clear medium to dark reddish brown color, the scant head disappeared immediately, the Belgian cap and lace are minimal.

S: spicy-sweet malt, some earthy notes, clove, a hint of sour fruit. It never gets any better than this, folks.

T: overripe fruit and spice, but the flavors are flat, the sourness is lacking almost completely, and the finish is borderline watery. This will be a drain pour.

M: light-bodied, lightly creamy to watery texture, moderate carbonation.

O: I expected something interesting, I got a drain pour. If this is a typical oud bruin, I guess I finally found a style I do not care for.

2.51/5  rDev -31.6%

I originally sampled this beer on 13 November 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
I had this beer at a Belgian Beer tasting at Hi Time Wine Cellars in Costa Mesa, California. Among the ten or twelve beers we sampled (the tasting was sponsored by a distributor, so it was their product line) was this Petru Oud Bruin. In short, like the other Belgians that night, None of these was a world class beer, most were second or third tier beer.
This beer was light bodied, had no nose and had a slightly nutty flavor. I'd recommend looking at reviews for others in this style, if you're interested in trying it.

2.58/5  rDev -29.7%

Decent looking beer – clear, dark red-brown. Gives up a nice full tan head and steady lace.

Smells of fruit, minerals, wood. Cherry or sour apple scents.

Comes across the palate almost like a cider. Distinct sour apple and vinegar notes on top of initial sweetness. Reminds me of an apple wine I had a bad experience with as a youth. Feels thin on the mouth.

Too sour for my liking and too close in character to a cider. Not something I'd share with my friends.

2.6/5  rDev -29.2%

Meh (now a word).

Pours a ruddy brown. Small tan head. Smells ... grapey. Taste is ... again, grapey/vinous. Maybe a bit of dark fruit. Perhaps a speckle of oak. For an oak aged beer, this was pretty thin on the oak. As in, not really there at all.

While there's a bit of tart sourness to it, there's a sweet burn aftertaste I did not find appealing. Almost like a beer version of sweet and sour. Thin, not particularly enjoyable.

2.6/5  rDev -29.2%

Sampled: 3.23.06

Appearance is ruby, brown with a small head that fades quickly.

Smell is sweet sugary with a winey sourness. Aromas of wood are prominent as well.

Flavor is light ale up front with a tart sourness in the finish. A vague description for a vague brew, unfortunately. There was little real flavor that stuck out and took control or mingled with any other here. Maybe I can point to the woodiness, but it just dried the taste too much. Disappointing. In the mouth, the beer was light in body and low carbed.

Drinkability? Hm. Of course, liking the beer helps this category. So, I have to vote low since it didn’t go down easy.

2.68/5  rDev -27%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Petrus branded flute glass.

A - A chocolately deep brown in colour, with a cloudy body. The head is minimal, with poor retention.

S - The initial impressions are that of flat coca cola. Molasses, and low malts.

T - There is a slight lambic taste in the background that seem to come through towards the end, which is slightly sour. Maltiness, accompanied by fruits, maybe pears.

M - Dry, and mildly sharp. The body and feel is quite weak.

D - The flavours are interesting but they don't work for me. This is not one of Petrus' best beers, not a scratch on the speciale.

2.69/5  rDev -26.7%

330 cl bottle..

Pours out a brownish red with a small amount of carbonation. Smell was surprisingly non-descript. I really couldn't make out any discernable aromas other than malt. Taste was almost non-existent, extremely dissapointing. I'm hoping I just got a "runt of the litter"; I could hardly get through this one..

2.7/5  rDev -26.4%

Poured into a tulip.

3.0 A: Clear deep amber color. Nearly three fingers of frothy beige head. Retention is a tad below average and not much lacing is left.

3.0 S: The first whiff was quite sweet, but much of it seems to have disappeared in subsequent olfactory inspection. The more abundant aroma is that of the older components. Dusty, dry planks of wood that might be found in a barn. Hay with an underlying basement must. Very little acidity with acetic winning out. Vinous cherry from the sweet portion. Not bad, but lacking power.

2.5 T: Like the nose, the taste is good, but is lacking power. I like a big punch of sweet and a big punch of sour from this style. Unfortunately, this beer delivers neither. The range of flavors is quite small with barely any pucker. Even the funk is subdued. Barnyard with a light musty basement. Light vinous cherry.

3.0 M: Lighter medium body. Carbonation level is okay, but it's not as spritzy as I'd like. Also lacking any creaminess.

2.5 D: Not really impressed with this one. It's about as mild as I've had for the style. This is a shame considering I like the Petrus Pale.

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

750 poured into a snifter

Pours a dark reddish brown with a finger thick head.

Smells of vinegar, lemon and dark cherry.

Taste is actually pretty bland for a Oud Bruin, a bit of cherry with a slight pucker to it, but no lingering notes at all and fairly underwhelming.

Very easy to drink, not much body and lightly carbonated.

This beer looked great and smelled nice, but was underwhelming when it came to the taste/body department. That said it is easy to drink and may be great to introduce others to sours before diving all the way in.

2.74/5  rDev -25.3%

Possible over the hill bottle. Dark brown color, small head, vinous aroma. Full flavored brown ale, some oak character. Deep malt flavor. Very mild and smooth taste. Mouthfeel is a little thin, expected it to be fuller from the taste. Finish is clean. Aftertaste is vinous and a little malty. Note: There was a lot of soild yucky looking sediments in the bottom of the glass. Old beer or natural for this beer? Need to retaste.

2.78/5  rDev -24.3%

Appearance - Pours a clear burgandy color. HUGE off-white fizzy head with some, but not a lot of staying powers. Very little lacing.

Aroma - Smell is not strong, but get definite notes of red vinegar. Hints of a breadiness, molasses, some dark, ripe fruits.

Taste - Not much flavor at all. Weird. Some light caramel and molasses. Hint of dark fruit and malt sweetness. Some very light flavoring hops in the after-taste. Not much else.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Light carbonation.

Drinkability - This is my first Flanders Old Bruin, so I don't know if this is good or not, so I'm just rating it average by default for drinkability.

2.8/5  rDev -23.7%

No known freshness dating.
Bottle stamped

A= Pours a deep brown color with a lively finger of head that falls fast to a ring around the glass leaving behind little lacing.

S= Smells like a strong tartness as well as a nice malty aroma. A little more malty than I expected.

T= The taste is very similar to the nose. Not overpoweringly tart. Quite mild actually. There is a nice malty sweetness that cuts the tartness and a little amount of barrel aging. There isn't too much else going on. A quite mild beer.

M= The mouth is very bubbly. A sort of bubble without flavor. Almost a seltzer water bubble.

O= This thing isn't quite what I was expecting. A little light on flavor for me. Little flavor and sort of watery. Reminds me of a tonic water actually. Check it out and judge for yourself.

2.82/5  rDev -23.2%

A-Dark ruby to light brown with a huge tan head. Clear.

S-Wood and balsamic. Some plastic phenols but not overpowering or unpleasant. No hop aroma. Slight raisin. Could use more dark fruit aroma.

T-cola like sweetness with a hint of sour. High color crystal malt flavor. some raisin. No hop bitterness or flavor. More sour to sweet would make this beer much better

M-medium bodied. medium carbonation. no alcohol warmth.

D-Not a lot going on. Aroma is nice but everything else is kind of average. Would be nice if this had more of the aged beer in the blend.

2.83/5  rDev -22.9%

The first thing that hit me when I opened this beer was an overwhelming sour aroma. Much more so than recommended for the style. Reminiscent of cherries or green apples. By comparison the malt aroma is very very slight.

It's a pretty beer, though. Dark brown/ruby with a thin creamy head. Head actually dissipated a little quick for the style.

The sourness also comes through in the taste, especially at the start. Malt begins to assert itself midpalate, lend a medium-full bodiedness to the beer, and the finish is just slightly sweet with a very subtle hint of chocolate.

Overall, this beer strikes me a a bit unbalanced on the sour side. The contrast between sweet malt and sour esters can be pleasant, but here detracted from the overall drinking experience.

2.83/5  rDev -22.9%

Nice head that disappeared when I blinked, whispy lace.
Smells Belgian sweet, apple and sour citrus. But really it's hard to smell a damn thing. Pretty mild, unfortunately.
Taste is a little better, pleasant, but still pretty subdued. Tiny hint of yeast and spice, sweet and sour, more heavy fruit than anything else. This tastes like a weak dubbel. Better yet, after sitting for about 15 minutes, it tastes like a flat Coca-Cola. In that time, the carbonation went from soda-like (too much) to being almost nonexistent.

Nothing stellar here. I love Petrus Aged Pale, think I'll be sticking with that.

Petrus Oud Bruin from De Brabandere