Petrus Oud Bruin - De Brabandere

Petrus Oud BruinPetrus Oud Bruin

good

De Brabandere visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-05-2002)

zephyr707, Aug 31, 2014

kvnstfrd, May 23, 2013
1.58/5  rDev -57.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

In the future, I may be rereviewing this beer, as I wonder if I had a stale bottle. The pack came with two of the same type, and both bottles tasted the same. If I found it different, than I will. If not, I'll leave it as is.
Pours a deep, mud brown colour with a decent enough head. I'd estimate 7/10 of foam, with whisps of lace here and their. The smell is sweet, malty, and a bit cheesy. I'm assuming from the yeast. The taste is simply too cheesy for me. Is the yeast strain okay? It reminds me of Velveeta. I don't like it. Asides from that, their is a definite sweet and sour taste. Malty, with a bittering, earthy and cheesy aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and weak. Drinkable? Perhaps, if you like cheese. If not, I wouldn't bother trying this beer. The other two Petrus products I've had were considerably better.

slitherySOB, May 26, 2005
1.6/5  rDev -56.5%

When poured it showed a medium amber brown with very little foam. The smell of a spicy hop filled my nose which was the tops of this beer. The taste was of a tart sour beer that had be aged to long and saw the sink drain before the first sip settled on my palate. Blah, what an awful beer to put on the market. One on my 10 most awful beers on my list!

BeerManDan, Dec 28, 2003
1.63/5  rDev -55.7%

Best by: 23DEC12

A: pours cherry brown ale with a finger of latte foam which falls quickly to a solid sheet of the same. Near excellent clarity. No lace.

S: smells like metal and wood and some alcohol. A little bit of funk.

T: vinegar, hints of grape, vines, wood. Not good.

M: Really thin with hi carb, reminds me of an AAL.

O: This beer is not good.

harrymel, Oct 06, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -52.4%

phishbone23, Jan 23, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -52.4%

Deep red color, with ruby reflexes. Beige foam, not too compact, decent, anyway.
In the smell some sourness, but there is something too sweet. When it warms, it is even worse.
The taste: no. Sweetish imitation of an oud bruin. Sweet strawberry, syrupy. And the sourness?
The aftertaste too issweet and syrupy, with a light point of bitterness.
False.

stcules, Nov 20, 2006

AleWatcher, Nov 15, 2011

flyingace, Dec 12, 2012

bacasnax, Apr 02, 2013
2.17/5  rDev -41%

Bottle at Pizzeria Paradiso in Old Town the other day. Served in a tulip alongside Petrus Aged Pale.

Pours a rusty amber color with a short off-white head and a few spots of lacing on the sides of the glass. The nose carries some light bready malt and a bit of caramel. Amber malt. Some cherry and very light oak and acidity. The flavor brings some moderate malt and a touch of sweetness with light fruits. No real oak or acidity. Way, way off style. I don't get much of even a note of sourness out of this one. While I'm up for interpretation of styles, if you're going to call a beer an "Oud Bruin," it'd better have something more than light malt and a touch of fruit going on.

Thorpe429, Jun 16, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -40.2%

Bottle. Poured a dark reddish brown mahagony with a nice 2 finger head that slowly dissipates. Woody sour notes in the nose. Watery very slight sour taste is the first thought that runs through my head as I take my first sip. Fairly light mouthfeel on this one. Not really that good for a sour ale. Really not sour at all. Slight bitter end. Looks a lot better than it tastes or smells. Glad I only bought 1 to try it.

kbutler1, Aug 20, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -38.9%

Small brown 8.4oz bottle. Label depicts oak casks this is aged in for 2 years.

Burgundy to brown color. Thin, light, fizzy white head. Smell is sweet and sour combination of lambic like. Very sour apples smells, some subtle oak undertones. It went downhill from there. Taste was a highly carbonated, overly charged sour apples. Soda pop like feel, supercharged, just couldn't get anything going. Nearly lambic like in the sour carbonated finish. The label claims it is stored in oak casks for 2 years. This tastes like it was stored in an oak shoe and dirty sock for 2 years. To higly carbonated, thin, and flat out wierd tastes going on here. Very tough to finish, doesn't improve at is warms. I hope I got a bad batch. Not good.

StevieW, Nov 29, 2002

Whiskeyjack, Jun 17, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -38.9%

A-brown, not a thick brown. uneven light tan head. very bubbly

S-smells like molasses and brown sugar. mild strength

T-hmmm this is quite interesting. if i were to close my eyes and taste this...i'd say its a sparkling red wine! the only differing taste is a slight hint of molasses that comes in with the after-taste. not sure if its the style or the beer...but this is not for me. there's a sourness to it as well.

M-medium to heavy carbonation with a dry finish.

D-well considering I wanted it to be over once I took my first sip...I'll say this isn't too drinkable. i feel this is a beer for wine lovers but not for too many beer lovers. a full bottle is difficult to finish.

AdamBear, Nov 22, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -37.5%

Color is dark to dark reddish. The head is thick and stays very well after a hard pour and leaves some nice lacings behind as it falls.

Smell is sour and very slightly sweet with some oak and smokiness. Also smells a bit like a lager and a wheat beer together, only sour.

Taste is listless. Watery with slight tones of what the smell is.

Mouthfeel is ok, a little smooth, but also pretty watery.

I don't think I would drink this again unless it's from the brewery.

Erdinger2003, Jul 03, 2006
2.33/5  rDev -36.7%

Part of the same holiday gift 6-pack. I thought I got a deal paying 10$ (down from 22$). This is the 2nd beer I've tasted and I'm starting to think 5$ for the 6 pack would be more fair.

Appearance is the best thing this beer has going for it. Pours a nice, dark brown. Good, thick frothy head. All down hill after that.

Apple vinegar nose. Absoutely no oak flavor. This ale was supposedly aged in oak for 20 months. Perhaps it was aged in old oak barrels that contained apple cider and weren’t properly cleaned. Tastes like a 1/4 Newcastle brown mixed with 3/4 of an apple cider. Quite drinkable if you like the combo. If you want a cider with some color and body this would be a good choice. If you want something that remotely resembles a beer, let alone Belgian, or oaked/aged beer, stay very far away.

One of the most disappointing, but not worst, beers I have ever tasted.

BeerDonkey, Mar 20, 2007
2.4/5  rDev -34.8%

I poured this 11.2 oz. beer into a Chimay chalice. No best by date apparent.

A: clear medium to dark reddish brown color, the scant head disappeared immediately, the Belgian cap and lace are minimal.

S: spicy-sweet malt, some earthy notes, clove, a hint of sour fruit. It never gets any better than this, folks.

T: overripe fruit and spice, but the flavors are flat, the sourness is lacking almost completely, and the finish is borderline watery. This will be a drain pour.

M: light-bodied, lightly creamy to watery texture, moderate carbonation.

O: I expected something interesting, I got a drain pour. If this is a typical oud bruin, I guess I finally found a style I do not care for.

Erish, Aug 10, 2011