Petrus Oud Bruin - De Brabandere

good

De Brabandere visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-05-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,159 | Reviews: 564
3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

This beer had a brown/copper color with a thick head – light lacing and quickly dissipating. The aroma is sour and malty. The taste is fruity and sour. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied. Overall, I can say that this is a fairly drinkable beer – it is the first I’ve had of this style and cannot comment on whether it is representative or not.

3.65/5  rDev -0.8%

Tried this both on tap and then in the bottle in the same sitting. The tap beer had a noticable metalic taste. The sourness of the beer was not all that evident, and the metalic aftertaste detracted from whatever sourness there was. Overall it was drinkable but I wasn't craving more. Definitely better Ouid Bruin's for the price.

The bottled variety seemed less metalic, but there was still a metalic aftertaste. I tried the bottle version as it specifically said "oak aged"

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

A- deep reddish brown body with thin white head. Head fades and leaves behind plenty of lacing in the glass.

S- sweet/sour smell. Nice malty backbone.

T- Sweet dark fruity taste upfront with good malt backbone. The taste then becomes somewhat tart and sour. Finish is similar to the sweet fruity beginning.

M- Low carbonation with a a thin-somewhat watery mouthfeel. Goes down very smooth.

D- This was interesting and very different. I'd order it again. Sweet and sour but not as intense as a fruit lambic.

3.21/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured into a wine glass in a pinch, forms a nice 1 finger head of light tan foam. Body is clear and cola colored.

Smells of that root beer flavored gummy candy with a hint of musty yeast, raspberry, overly sugary.

This beer is way too sweet. It reminds me of watery cherry cola with berry notes and no trace of sourness or oak. Boring.

Too much carbonation makes this beer hard to drink until the head settles down, which doesn't take too long because the head is fizzy.

Inoffensive beer but it just tastes saccharine to me. I was expecting a nice tart refreshing brew but I got a fountain drink.

3.92/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a very deep brownish color into a newer Petrus glass (I like the new ones better!), with a tan head. It has the aroma of sweet malt, and the taste has a dark fruit, cherries and a very nice tartness that lingers a bit after. A good beer to enjoy with a dessert.

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased a bottle at Downtown Wine & Spirits in Somerville, MA.

A: Very dark reddish brown. Pale/buff wispy head with ok retention.

S: Sweet malt character dominates. Almost smells like Coke or Pepsi.

T: Fruitiness up front but not strong. Malt character is noticeably absent. Sourness is strong on the back and tart. Sweet sour profile is evident but definitely leans towards sour.

MF: Medium-light body. Tingling strong carbonation.

D: Lacking sweet malt character. I am not particularly familiar with this style so take this review with a grain of salt. Sour ales to me are not inherently sessionable. But to each their own. There is some confusion on this site as to what style beer this is and I think that it is also listed as a Belgian dark ale.

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

A: Dark brown to the point of looking like coca-cola. The lace left a bit more to be desired.
S: Sweet with a licorice hint.
T&M: Smooth and sweet with a slightly bitter taste upfront. The aftertaste has a very heavy feel to it. Keeps you very satisfied. Leaves the mouth with a warm fuzzy feeling.
D: I could definetly drink a few of these throughout the night (or day).

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

This will my first time trying an example of this style. I am not too big of a fan sour beers, but I still wanted to try the style. It poured into a small sampler glass a chestnut brown complexion, with a 2 finger white heading that faded into a small lacing. In the aroma was a soft sour presence, with hints of vinegar, cherries, grass, and other juicy fruits. Taste starts off a little sour, but quickly becomes sweet, then ends off with a very sweet caramel flavor. Specific flavors were apple, brown sugar and chocolate. Mouthfeel was light bodied. I could have a few of these in a sitting. I am glad I tried this style. Not too sour, not too sweet. Just good all around.

3.33/5  rDev -9.5%

Murky cola brown with a loose head of tan froth with light retention and weblike lace.

Aroma is earthy malt, dried fruit, cherries, tart cider and musty yeast.

Flavor very similar to nose, lightly sweet, gently sour, modest complexity.

Body is rather light, adding to the amazing drinkability. A great refresher, and a great intro into sour beers for the uninitiated.

3.28/5  rDev -10.9%

Had this, along with other Petrus beers, in my fridge for at least 8 months.

Served chilled and poured into my Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance is above-average. Fluffy, soapy, sand colored head forms off of the aggressive pour then quickly fades to a thin film. Color of the beer is a very dark brown with red hues on the edges.

Smell is average. That familiar Oud Bruin tart smell is there yet is subdued compared to others i've sampled within the style. I slight sweetness shines through toward the back end. Kind of bland.

Taste is average. Much like the smell; subdued flavors of tartness and sweetness. Finishes very smooth and clean. I keep fishing for more flavors but nothing comes up. Just too mellow and bland for the style.

Mouthfeel is above-average. Carbonation is very mellow (although apparent.) This makes for a thin, yet refreshing, finish.

Drinkability is good. I could finish a few bottles of this beer no problems but then i'd have to switch to something with more flavor.

Overall: I was expecting a beer with more flavor especially considering the style. I wouldn't turn one down but it's nothing to go out of your way for.

3.45/5  rDev -6.3%

Aroma was mostly fruit, with some maltyness to it.

It's brown in colour. Some head. Little lace.

The flavour is very citusy and vinous like. Flavours of gapes, & grapefruit. It reminds me of a Lambic Kriek in some ways.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied.

Overall I like it.

2.88/5  rDev -21.7%

A lively pour. Reddish brown with a foamy head that drops quickly in a Duvel tulip.
Has a wheat like aroma...some bubblegum and a Saaz like hop odor.
Sweet wheaty malt at first, but somewhat sour and vinegary. Mild grape flavor and a hint of vanilla and bubblegum. Citrusy hops are pretty mild.
The mouthfeel is pretty thin and the carbonation is high.
Not a beer I would seek out..just bought it out of curiosity.

3.42/5  rDev -7.1%

330 ml brown bottle. Date code stamped on back label>

Toffee brown with a creamy beige head. nice lace pattern left on the glass>

Aroma is lightly malty, lightly acidic.

Flavor is tart cherries backed by a dose of cider vinegar. Touch of pepper and oak on the finish.

I believe this is the same beer which is also listed as Oak Aged Dark Beer. The correct style seems to be Flanders Oud Bruin and not Belgian Dark, hence my review will be added here.
Clear, ruby, tranparent body with good carbonation and a creamy tan head that dissipates fairly quickly and leaves good lace.
Fresh fruity sour scent. Mild sweet malts and molasses but only very faint.
The taste is much like the smell. Fresh sour fruit mix of green apple and cherries, some nutskin hop flavor and a mild aftertaste of tart green apple.
Medium mouthfeel with abit of coating.
Interesting brew, unlike most belgians and good for the summer heat.

-Oelergud

2.39/5  rDev -35.1%

Part of the same holiday gift 6-pack. I thought I got a deal paying 10$ (down from 22$). This is the 2nd beer I've tasted and I'm starting to think 5$ for the 6 pack would be more fair.

Appearance is the best thing this beer has going for it. Pours a nice, dark brown. Good, thick frothy head. All down hill after that.

Apple vinegar nose. Absoutely no oak flavor. This ale was supposedly aged in oak for 20 months. Perhaps it was aged in old oak barrels that contained apple cider and weren’t properly cleaned. Tastes like a 1/4 Newcastle brown mixed with 3/4 of an apple cider. Quite drinkable if you like the combo. If you want a cider with some color and body this would be a good choice. If you want something that remotely resembles a beer, let alone Belgian, or oaked/aged beer, stay very far away.

One of the most disappointing, but not worst, beers I have ever tasted.

4.09/5  rDev +11.1%

Served at 45 degrees F in a Duvel tulip.

Russet copper body is mostly clear. Topped by a small, frothy, light khaki head. Nose is a complex mix of brown sugar, molasses, vinegar, pepper, sour cherries, marshmallows, and vegetable matter. Taste starts off with tart, slightly bitter citrus peel. Toasted, slightly biscuity malts ensue, with some definite sour cherries. A hint of metal, oak, and smoke in an otherwise acidic, mildly tart, vinegary finish. Moderate to light bodied ale with zesty carbonation. I haven't had many examples of this style, but this seems like a good iteration. Not quite as vinegary or sour as a Flanders red ale, but still quirky and interesting.

4.44/5  rDev +20.7%

I really think this beer is the same as the Petrus Old Brown ale I reviewed here:
<http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/718/2479/?ba=alexatlatx>
So I'll just compare the two in this review rather than simply copy-paste. They have different labels, but similar features.

One difference I find in the Oud Bruin and the "Old Brown," is in its head retention. the head on the Oud Bruin dissipates quickly, while the other beer lasts until the end. The second difference is the aroma. The Oud Bruin has a less fruity and more sulphur aroma. The tastes to me are similar.

Still an excellent beer.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured a tawny brown with red highlights. Short biege head does not stay for long. Smells wonderful. Tart cherries, vinegar, and tannins are pronounced. Really quite nice. Taste is not as intense. Actually, this really gives the impression of a watered down Duchesse. Mouthfeel is a tad watery, but drinkablity is fine.

Nothing really incredible or remarkable here. Glad I tried it. Didn't hate it. Ready to move on. Next.

3.71/5  rDev +0.8%

33 cL bottle with no freshness date, brought home from the Capital Ale House in Richmond. It pours a lightly hazy rusty/copper that thins at the bottom of the flute, and it has medium carbonation that leads up to an inch of tan head that never fully recedes and leaves nice sheets of lacing. The bouquet is sweet and tart/sour with hints of oak and mustiness. It isn't as tart on the palate as the aroma led me to believe, but it has some sourness with notes of sweet malts, leafy/green hops, and hints of red berries. The body is light at first, but becomes medium, with tingly carbonation, dryness from the tannins, and a medium to light finish. Not too bad, but as far as sour ales go, it is quite mellow - I wish it had more sourness on the palate, and that it were more robust in aroma and flavor.

3.95/5  rDev +7.3%

I think this is my first experience with this style, and I must say it's interesting. The dark, almost stout-like appearance through me for a loop, as I was expecting something more along the line of a traditional brown ale. The head was thick and just slightly off-white, as if a hint of gray was desperately trying to be noticed. A sweet, fruity aroma with a hint of malt awakened my nose as I leaned forward to sniff the brew. The tartness of bright cherries make me take serious notice as the first sip rested on my tongue. This is unlike any beer I've ever tasted, and I think I like it! So different, yet so delightful. I also appreciate the smooth, creamy texture, and the way the flavor lingers for quite some time. Sour beer, eh? I'll have to investigate more of this style.

4.22/5  rDev +14.7%

After getting rather into the sours a year back, I found myself picking this up every so often for 2 reasons: it's one of the probably 2 sours I could get frequently (the other being Duchesse de Bourgogne) and because it's quite tasty.

Turbid and brown with a half finger head, the 11.2 oz just filled my tulip glass. 11.2 oz is not a volume amount I like seeing on my beer labels. Call me greedy, if you will. The aroma was sour cherry and slight red wine vinegar. It sounds like an odd combination but it was quite enjoyable. The sour tart bite is not as noticeable in the mouth, it's a little more subdued than expected. Sour notes of apple are present with rich malts and an almost chocolate quality.

This is a good sour if you're not wanting to really get the pucker of a Flanders Red.

4.53/5  rDev +23.1%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with a creamy tan head. The body is two tones in my glass. Light around the edges with some red hues showing when back-lit. Moderate spotty lacing, good looking beer.

Smell: It has a pleasant sour candy aroma along with a pleasant smell of spoiled fruit (if that makes any sense :/). Lactic and acidic but not extreme and hints of malted milk-balls vanilla and oak also tease the senses.

Taste : apple cider vinegar lightly lactic sour. It is not as intense I I was expecting. Dark roasty attributes. Toasted malt sweet and sour flavor cling to the cheeks and induce a huge amount of salivating long after the beer is gone. Apple cider, over ripe fruit and spices. It does have some of the Lambic funk but it is restrained and when pared with hints of oak and vanilla bean and apple it makes for a truly divine flavor.

Mouthfeel: Right on. I need more Flanders Oud Bruin. This beer is so smooth and creamy it is heaven sent. The beer seems a bit light in weight (adding to drinkability) but the acidity gives it a magnificent 'presence' in the mouth.

Drinkability: As a huge fan of sour beer I was hoping for something intense. Instead what I found is a partner for my Duchesse De Bourgogne on my, 'pick up every beer trip' list. This beer is so easy to drink (for a fan of Flemish Sours) it is ridiculous at $69.99 a case it is a few bucks cheaper than the Duchesse at $77.69 a case.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance: Opaque brown but not red or even ruby, just brown.

Smell: Sweettarts.

Taste: More sweettarts, vinegar and sour fruit. Not to be mistaken, this is all in a good way.

Mouthfeel: Not so good here. Thin and watery with a dissatisfying tingle of carbonation, but not enough to break the beer by any means.

Drinkability: I'm pretty sure I could drink these all night long. Maybe the sourness would get to me after a while but it would be a long while.

Beef Notes: Sometimes I crave a sour beer like this and when I did, I used to go to Duchese. I think I'll be going the way of Petrus now.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured into a La Chouffe tulip. Received a tiny head that didn't stay around long at all. Forms a bubbly crown around the rim, has good clarity, and overall it looks like black cherry soda.

Aroma is tart, woody, fruity. No idea how old this bottle is, I imagine this ages well, but there's dust and must in the aroma that doesn't smell like it's supposed to be there. Or maybe it is.

Flavor is big on chocolate-covered cherries, musty yeast wildness, and woody oak, plus a little black pepper. Various fruits come to mind with each sip. Naturally there's a sourness here, but it's not overpowering at all.

Mouthfeel is light, thin, crisp. Mildly puckery tartness in the mouth, going along well with the sour finish.

Enjoyable, not extraordinary, though one of the most drinkable of the sour Belgian ales. Easy to like, and probably a good one to recommend to someone just starting out with the sour spectrum of Belgium's beers. Only big complaint is the bottle size. 8.4 oz.? It ain't quantity over quality, I know, but just when you're getting into the beer, it's over. This is a quality beer, and I want a few more ounces of it.

4.01/5  rDev +9%

A - Deep reddish burgundy with one finger of head that lingers a while. Thick lacing forms in intricate patterns all down the sides.

S - A tart aroma like sour cherries.

T - Sour like slightly underripe sour cherries with a touch of funk and caramel malt. Very good taste.

M - Smooth, very refreshing and thin.

D - Great, this is a very drinkable sour beer, lacks the vomitesque nature of some of its cousins. I wouldn't mind having this again.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Petrus Oud Bruin from De Brabandere