Petrus Oud Bruin - De Brabandere

Petrus Oud BruinPetrus Oud Bruin

good

De Brabandere visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-05-2002)
4.13/5  rDev +12.2%

Like chopping wood this cream hairy beer fills your head with scents of old sap, fresh fungus, ginger root and decay. Citrus zest and vanilla escort a tart and fizzy mouthful down. A bit weighty, particularly when compared to its stronger sibling the Aged Pale but tasty nonetheless.

inebrius, Apr 02, 2005
3.63/5  rDev -1.4%

Happy to get to sample this brew on tap at the Collins bar in NYC. Pours dark brown, with ruby hues on the edges. The nose was quite malty, with also a hint of must. Carboantion seems low, with a very slight head developed and limited lacing. Malt sweetness up front initially, then mid way lactic sourness picked up. Also a hint of cherry and vanilla. Not much yeast or hops characteristics involved in the mix. Basically a malty belgian with a sour undertone. Eh, not really for me, I'd classify this one as a middle of the road Belgian, worth a try but not of much more interest.

Billolick, Mar 12, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +24.5%

This is a very surprising beer...
Don't let the "brown" in the name fool you (as it is sometimes listed as Petrus Brown). The nose has an amazing blend of soft malt hints and big musty earth hits. The mouth-feel is active but not over-powering. The taste is tart and bold but balanced enough not to be one-noted. The yeast is wild, complex and inviting... The finish is simple enough to have you going back for more. Not for everyone...but definitely for me...

aaj1002, Mar 01, 2005
3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Mostly clear, deep coppery/chestnut red. Thin, very light brown head. Aroma consists of roasted malts, acidic berry-like, bit of ripe dark fruit, and some vinous character. Maybe some tobacco as well. Dark malts and fruit hit the palate first, followed closely by delicate sourness. Earthiness comes out towards the end, along with a hint of chocolate, and the dry finish is on the sour side. Light body with a moderately high carbonation. Texture is very interesting... very smooth, aided by the carbonation, with some mouth puckering due to the sourness.

Interesting beer and easier to drink than I expected. A little out of the ordinary and quite tasty.

250 mL brown bottle with best before date printed clearly on the front label.

DrJay, Feb 28, 2005
3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Lucent crimson-brown with rapidly uprushing carbonation feeding a khaki colored head. Old Brown received the gentlest of pours since I didn't want to add any (suspected) sediment from the rather short 8.4 oz. bottle. Even so, a respectably sized crown has appeared and a thick, high collar of lace frames the surface of the beer quite nicely.

The nose is dark fruity, vinous and intriguing. I don't believe that I can appreciate any oak; perhaps some woodiness will appear on the palate. Disclaimer: I have no idea how a Flanders Oud Bruin is supposed to taste, so keep that in mind.

Sweet and sour dark fruit is the dominant member of the flavor profile, but there's very little power behind it. I can't blame the body/mouthfeel since it seems perfectly calibrated to deliver as much flavor as is present. I taste a pleasant mixture of grapes, raisins and sour cherries with the suggestion of exotic spices. Thankfully, the beer is opening up a bit with warming.

The sourness fades on the swallow and is succeeded by a sweeter, more complex flavor that lingers (beer that tastes better once it's been swallowed; what a concept). The final pour brings not a speck of sediment. Still no oak. The carbonation has an accelerated life cycle over the course of the bottle. The mouthfeel starts out spunky, becomes soft and lush midway through and finishes a little flat. I chose to rate it at its most appealing stage.

There's no question that Old Brown grew on me from first sip to last. However, it wasn't quite able to win me over by the end. My expectations were probably both high and misplaced (it's much more delicate and subtle than anticipated), but, even so, I think that I've given it a fair shake. It was interesting and was enjoyable for the most part, but it probably isn't a beer that I'll look for again.

BuckeyeNation, Feb 02, 2005
3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

poured with a big light coffe colored head that fades to a skim covering a deep brown red body that is clear around the edges and hazy/murky in the middle. soft sourness with of a vinious quality in the aroma. weel carbonated witha average mouthfeel. carbonation sleanse nicely against the mild soury tart flavors and then seems to explode in your mouth with a release of flavor. sour chaacter seems good although a bit restrained for me, still worth a shot if you have never tried oud bruin's before.

shippos, Jan 21, 2005
2.83/5  rDev -23.1%

Pours a medium brown, relatively clear, with a minor off-white head that quickly collapses. Ruby notes against the light. Aroma- sour, malty, slightly sweet, fresh brown ale. Raisins? Flavor: sharp off notes that I can't place, but it wasn't pleasant. It has the slightly sour flavor that I love in some other oud bruins and similar beers, but here is jsut isn't right. Can't recommend this one.

Dukeofearl, Jan 14, 2005
3.4/5  rDev -7.6%

An interesting beer to say the least. As suggested in the title, this beer is brown. Very brown, with no head. Barely see-through. The smell is very reminiscent of wine or grapejuice, and not very reminiscent of beer. Tastes very grapey, very very grapey. There's a bit of malt noticable, but it really isn't very prominent and I don't taste the hops in there at all. Seems to be a slight alcohol taste, not in a bad way, though I didn't know this beer was only %5.5 ABV. Hmmm. Very watery and light mouthfeel. This beer definately challenges my definition of beer and my impression of what a beer should be. There really are a vast array of styles out there, and this one is pretty new to me. Definately expanded my beer palate with this one, but I'm not sure I really liked this beer very much.

twelvsies, Jan 08, 2005
3.93/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured a dark brownish red, with a flufffy cream head, good retention and beautiful rings of lacing. Aroma reminiscent of red wine, berries and very tart. Taste was sour, with hints of berries, malty sweetness mid sip and ends dry. Creamy mouthfeel, and quite drinkable. Sour, but not to the point where it makes you cringe.

baiser, Dec 29, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours an opaque brown with a thick off-white slightly orange head the laces wonderfully, rather effervescent. Aroma of wild yeasts and some citrus, this is going to be sour! :) Taste was a refreshingly tart with a nice slightly hoppy finish. Not nearly as sour as I thought it was going to be, and has a nice light mouthfeel. This is new style for me and I was very pleasently surprised. I'd drink this all night if I had more.

tatterdash, Dec 08, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +18.2%

Pours cloudy and and dark--the color of brown sugar. Faint but complex nose offers sourness and a mushroom yeastiness.

Flavors included a pronounced maltyness with a gentle buildup to characteristic sourness associated with the style. Great balance between malty sweetness and yeasty sourness will entertain fans of Flemish Sours. If you are not that much of a fan or are new to the style, this is a great cross-over beer, as it offers lots of complexity and a certain degree of familiar malty sweetness without extreme sourness of many lambics.

I'll be buying this again, and serving it to friends.

sparkydoyle, Dec 02, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +14.7%

The beer pours a dark brown color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a sweet malty scent that boasts of pale and crystal malts along with Belgian ale yeast. It is very refreshing and fruity. You can smell hints of the oak barrels. The taste is great. It has a very refreshingly fruity malt flavor that goes down easy and finishes yeasty. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a damn good drinking brown ale. It has everything.

WesWes, Nov 20, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +6%

Pours a deep amber color with a big foamy off white head leaving nice wisps of lace. the aroma is tart and floral with some sweet malt and vinagery notes. The taste is a rich and complex mix of malt notes and oaky tartness. Theres some iron, tannins and citrus as well. The mouthfeel is somewhat thick. This is a very interesting and crisp beer. Its not as sour as Rodenbach but its still really good.

CAMRAhardliner, Nov 01, 2004
3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Lasting and slightly brownish head on a very dark mahogany color that looks ruby against the light. The first impression in the smell is of vinegar, but a bit soft, maybe more like balsamic vinegar. The tartness is not overwhelming and rather combined with some light citric notes. Hints of caramel too. The taste confirms this first perception. Oud bruin it is, but somehow subdued or attenuated. The winy oaky tart aspect doesn’t punch you in the face, it kisses you on the lips. The finish is a bit sharper, but still very balanced. Some biscuity and even chocolaty notes appear. Maybe a hint of sweet fried plantain at one point, with a candy like sweetness. The light soda taste reminds me a Belgian stout. Hops get noticeable if you think about them, adding some thickness, but no strong bitterness. The body is quite consistent for the style, enjoyably round. I could have enjoyed more than this 25cl bottle.

tjd25, Oct 24, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +14.7%

I've heard some nice things about Petrus so it's about time that I've finally tried one. To say that it was interesting would be an understatement. I made the mistake of pouring this beer way to cold (i am guessing around 38 - 40 degrees). Even so it poured a flat brown with absolutely no head. I've never seen anything like this before, there were even no bubbles around the edge. Smell was slightly tart, I struggled to pick up any other details. Initial taste was what a suspected a slight tartness surrounded by a sweet nutty maltiness. Very refreshing. Mouthfeel was a tad bit stale, but overall this was a very interesting beer which I'll try again. If only I could get my hands on their pale.

soper2000, Oct 20, 2004
3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours out a dark amber nearly brown ale with a creamy loking dark beige head. The aroma of sour fruit and spices rise up from the glass. The sour characteristic jumps all over your mouth at the start of the taste followed by a nice smooth sweet lightly malty finish. The sourness is the only reason for the lower drinkability score.

ybnorml, Oct 12, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +19.6%

8.4 oz bottle picked up from Riverside as part of a mixed sixer. The appearance is that of a standard brown ale, a ruby-tinged, translucent brown. The head and retention is decent, although it eventually recedes into nothing. The smell is very nice, vinous and sour, hints of brandy and cherry juice, and oak….yes, oak. Wow, this beer is not what I expected it all, it almost has the tartness of a lambic. It’s nice and tart, with a sour cherry taste, accompanied by a bit of an earthy flavor. The finish is a sprinkling of a dull, spicy hop and woodiness. The mouthfeel is light and slick with very subtle carbonation. I enjoy these particular flavors a lot in beer so I’m a fan of this one. I’ll definitely pick it up again.

FormatKid, Oct 10, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

Very good beer. I would describe this as a session sour beer. A bit of sourness but not an incredible amount. Tends to be watery in the mouthfeel, but not too bad. Flavorful. Came with a nice head and a lasting lace. Again, this would make a great session beer.

GeoffFromSJ, Oct 05, 2004
3.93/5  rDev +6.8%

Into a Hoegaarden Speciale goblet the Petrus poured a rich reddish brown, mahogany with a creamy tan 2 inch head. Head settled slowly leving generous lace. Beautiful look to this ale.
The first whiff was lambic sour, gueuze-y, with a raisins and cherry flourish. Bready, spicy, somewhat peppery. Very inviting.
The taste was not a disappointment. A sour lactic hit, lots of fruit, almost wine-ish. The tartness tempers as it warms but is no less prominent. A nice balance between the sour and the sweet.
Pleasant mouthfeel - a quick spritzy splash of carbonation flits across the tongue.
I could see drinking a few of these with a somewhat hearty sausage centered meal. Actually, I did just that.

horndecker, Sep 29, 2004
4.2/5  rDev +14.1%

Picked up a bottle at Marty's for 3 bills..

This brew poured a deep dark brown color with only the slightest mahogony hue. A thin white head forms and leaves only a tiny lace. Aromas are very wine like, with a tart overtone, and a cherry finish that is quite apparant. Flavors to this brew to me, are quite similiar to a Flemish Red Sour ale. Initially there is a burst of sweet vinous grapes and cherries with just a tiny hint of tannins. Following this brew takes a turn towards being decently pungent, tart, and sour, with a slight oak tone in the mix, and a hint of vanilla. The finish is somewhat sweet, with a slight spice, a bit of malt, a strong grape like flavor and a slight sourness right at the end. There is also a warm finishing alcohol tone. Overall this brew is quite complex, quite smooth, and at the same time has a nice zinging carbonation. Definetly a nice try if you can find it.

bigbeerdrinka, Sep 11, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +17.7%

This beer has a great aroma. Really nice and funky. I get a hint of Brett farmyard funk and a good dose of lacto sourness in the nose. Really kind of a let down when you drink it then. Not so much the taste, which is good, but the mouthfeel. Very thin. But I had to give it a 4 because oud bruins are supposed to have little body. They're supposed to be thin and dry. But still, I feel something is lacking in such a light beer.

The sourness is fairly subdued, but still the dominant flavor component in my opinion. Some Brett funk in the flavor. I get some shallow, fruity notes, maybe sour cherry? I know there aren't any cherries in there, but there is something vaguely cherry about it. I really like the light Brett flavors. This beer is starting to grow on me. I've been slowly workin on a case and now the dry complexity is starting to stand out to me more and more. I like this beer a good deal.

Pretty drinkable really. Dry enough to never be cloying, yet flavorful enough to keep you interested.

cerevisiaephilus, Sep 06, 2004
2.68/5  rDev -27.2%

330 cl bottle..

Pours out a brownish red with a small amount of carbonation. Smell was surprisingly non-descript. I really couldn't make out any discernable aromas other than malt. Taste was almost non-existent, extremely dissapointing. I'm hoping I just got a "runt of the litter"; I could hardly get through this one..

euskera, Aug 30, 2004
3.63/5  rDev -1.4%

Presentation: 25cl brown bottle with freshness date ? 22/07/05

Brown/red color tan head, light co2, head diminishes rapidly. Lacing is stickly and the head leaves a decent film. Aroma is wine like -sour and astringent, with light caramel and some fruity notes. Flavor is tart and metallic with an effervescent bite. Mouthfeel is light bodied; lively and creamy with an astringent finish.

Not a big fan of the style, but this beer has some interesting facets. Good mouthfeel and an evolving taste.

SeanChouffe, Aug 14, 2004
3.73/5  rDev +1.4%

Bought in a "gift pack"...3 Petrus brews plus trappiste tulip glass...pour reveals a slightly cloudy deep red-brown...aromas are articulated...cherry-grape-raisin and a slight alcohol wisp...Starts creamy right off..the body is remarkably clean (not viscous) for such a strong smelling/ tasting ale..it runs the gamut...grapes, cherries, raisins..some toffee and all in balance with this incredible souring that is not overly pronounced...not sweet not sour...lovely fruit tastes and a great finish of sweet/sour fruits with a nice smoky oak finish.., a nice specialty drink from Belgium.

pootz, Aug 07, 2004
3.55/5  rDev -3.5%

My first sample of an oud bruin style, found in Vancouver. Slender brown 250ml bottle, bergundy foil around the neck and cap. Best before date on front label is 22/07/05.

I passed on pouring it into tulip stemware and used my small Hoegaarden glass instead. In doing so I managed to get a beautiful large off-white head on the pour, thick and creamy, very dense. It leaves a decent sized cap all the way down the glass, and a fair amount of sticky lacing. The body is a deep murky walnut colour, but when held up to direct light it transforms into a stunning clear cherry oak hue, an absolutely enchanting work of alchemy. Sour cherry immdeiately hits me from the aroma, dates and currents and a vinuous quality to it. Malty dried fruit appear first in the flavour, but is soon overtaken by an undercurrent of sour cherry all the way to the finish, where a more black current flavour rounds out on the aftertaste, rounding the edges of the sharp acidity. Light creamy mouthfeel, but the jaggedness of the acidity doesn't appeal to me that much, I can now see how a wine glass may be more ideal to serve this in for more than one reason. Would make a lovely after dinner drink, but I couldn't see having more than one in any sitting. Even the 250 ml serving seems a little much for me. I could be content to hold the glass up to the light and gaze at it all day, and slowly work on it.

IronDjinn, Aug 01, 2004