Petrus Oud Bruin - De Brabandere

De Brabandere visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-05-2002

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from a 330 mL. capped bottle (no date) into a tulip glass.

A moderate pour yields a 2-finger cream-colored head that slowly settles after a few minutes to a thick covering and thick foam ring. The body is a dark mahogany with traces of burnt orange when held to light and a strong jet of carbonation bubbles rushing up from the center of the glass. Some great lacing can be seen throughout consumption but doesn't stick around long.

The nose is has a definite sour quality to it with just a hint of funk. Notes include sour grapes, green apple, black cherry, and just a touch of vanilla (presumably from the oak aging?).

This beer starts off light and sweet, with a mild vinegar flavor and fruit notes of green grapes and green apples. Upon swallowing, a dryness immediately sets in with flavors of overly ripe grapes, bruised apple, and raisins. A sweet dark fruit flavor lingers on the palate between sips.

Medium bodied with excellent carbonation, this beer has great drinkability but might seem a bit watery to some. The body is slick and smooth and never sticky or coating. The carbonation is rather fizzy at first but becomes more creamy as the beer warms.

3.03/5  rDev -17.7%

Bottle poured into a cervoise glass. Beer is a murky dark brown color with some reds when held up to a light, with a finger of tan colored foamy head. Some light carbonation visible at the edge of the glass.

Nose is mild, some tart red berry and dark fruit sweetness, brown sugar, and spice. A touch of oak as well.

Taste is milder than the nose, a touch bland. Not much tartness on the tongue, some red berry and dark fruit notes with some bready malt and brown sugar mid tongue. Finishes fairly dry with very light lingering dark fruit flavor.

Light body with some fine carbonation, lending to a smooth mouthfeel. Pretty easy to drink and refreshing, but not very flavorful.

3.62/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- pours very dark, looks black until you hold it up to light and it appears more brown. Small foamy head that reduces to a thin layer with no lacing.

S- Oaky and sour, much like a Cabernet or merlot. A bit of sweet malt and zero hops presence. A bit of prune also.

T- Tangy and sour kicks you in the mouth immediately. Notes of oak and just a bit of grainy malt. Finishes dry.

M- slick, medium-light bodied. Moderate carbonation.

O- definitely one of the most sour beers I've had, however it seems pretty well balanced and makes for a good choice if you are looking to switch it up a bit. However, if you a not a fan of oak, this one isn't for you.

3.38/5  rDev -8.2%

This beer pours a dark brown color with a very lively cap of dense tan foam. The aroma is a tart fruity affair. Dark fruit with a tinge of metallic character mixes in. The palate starts with a kiss of tartness. The sourness fades through the center and toward the end. A malt backbone pervades allowing the tartness to slip through. A hint of the oak barrels remains, but not much. Some interesting features to this, but I find myself wanting for more.

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Found this at one of my local places mixed in with the 15 dollar six pack section. For $2.50 I thought I would make this my second sour I ever had.

A - A nice dark amber brown with a good half inch of tan colored head that turns to a still full lace ring.

S - The fruity aspects of this is mostly lemon and sour funk. Can't really look beyond that to find anything else.

T - Vinegar diluted to about 6% is what I taste along with some lime bitterness and a sweet finish which reminds me of sugar on a grapefruit. Surprisingly not very bitter cloying as hoppy beers in the finish.

M - Medium bodied and surprisingly smooth.

Overall it's still one and done since the sourness leaves my whole throat so very dry... Glad to have a sour that drank so sooth.

3.51/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from 11.2 oz bottle into St Bernardus chalice.

Pours a dark brown color. Very little head, mostly white foam with a few bubbles. Appears to have low to medium carbonation. Light lacing.

Smells like sour fruit. Some malt, some oak. Kinda one dimensional.

Not nearly as sour as I would have guessed from the aroma. Malty, with some light fruit characteristics. Typical belgian spice. Much better than the nose. More subdued oak than I expected as well. Fairly enjoyable.

Higher carbonation than expected. Medium body. Pretty drinkable for a more sour beer.

A decent beer with a not so great aroma. I'm not a huge fan of sour beers, but this one has a nice tartness, not an overpowering puckering sourness, which is nice. Haven't had a ton of beer in this style, but I would say there are better.

3.51/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

330 into Duvel tulip.

Pours a lovely cloudy deep brown, almost opaque but lets light thru when held up. Three finger head clears to film, with lacing.

Moderate aromas of Belgian yeast, some lemons, a little funk, quite complex.

Taste is also a complex blend of sour with almost a hint of vinegar , a little rockmelon over a malt backbone. Hint of diacetyl. A full inital palate hit leaves quicjkly, and the taste is at best moderate in length.

Mouthfeel quite light for the complexity, somewhat watery even.

First of style, nice n different.

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

This is one big bottle of beer. I like big bottles like this, as it lets you get a good sample of the beer. Since Sheryl and I split it, we like getting the most bang for our buck. Today we have Jake with us again. Love it when he can drink with us. He knows good beer, and speaking of good beer… we will be making a batch this week. On Tuesday, Jake and I will be making a rye IPA. Can’t wait to go through the brewing process with him! Should be fun. Now, on to the Oud Bruin.

In the Glass: In the glass, it’s dark; slightly lighter than a cola would be. It has a weak tannish head, that disappears quickly. When I swirl it around in the glass, it gets a thin line of carbonation atop that again quickly disappears.

Nose: The nose is immediate with a typical brown ale sort of thing going on. It has a strong start with a weak finish, but keeps me sticking my nose deep in the glass for more. I get a hint of metal on the front of of the nose that might be a sign of what the aftertaste has. Let’s see what this beer tastes like.

Flavor: There is a lot of carbonation on the sides of the tongue. It slides down your throat smooth, but leaves an almost sour layer on the palate. The flavors are spread across the palate but mostly toward the sides and the back of the tongue. It has a bubbly sort of mouthfeel, which I will get to.

Mouthfeel: This is like drinking champagne. The bubbles explode across the tongue and the flavors are noticed toward the back of the palate. As you swallow, the bubbles focus in on the center of the tongue and the sour sets in. It’s a unique experience to say the least.

Aftertaste: The sour starts to sit in at the end. I love a good sour, but this beer isn’t sour until after you swallow. It sort of sneaks up on you. But that’s okay. It’s not a sour, so I don’t expect a ton of that. The beer is very bubbly, which is almost too much to handle for me. But still… a delicious finish with a hint of sour that begs me for another drink.

I like it. I don’t love it. But I like it. For a beer that has this much history and this much passion behind the process, I expected more. I wanted it to be thicker, and not to have as much carbonation. I do like the sour finish, but when that’s gone I don’t see myself checking back in for another drink. I like it… but I might not buy another bottle. I wonder if this beer gets better as it warms up…

3.92/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours translucent deep brown with ruby notes. Thin tan head that dissipated quickly. Not much lacing.

Smell of under ripe fruit, maybe peaches, anticipates sourness to come in the flavor. Slight hint of vanilla. No hops. As it warms, malt intensifies greatly with carmelized candi sugar, raisins, and plum aromas.

The flavor starts tart, a bit sour, but mild, and quickly gives way to a smooth maltiness. Slight vanilla oakiness coming through. No noticeable alcohol. The finish is malty. The tartness remains, but much less intense than in the first taste.

Medium body, a bit thinner than hoped for, though smooth mouthfeel, slick light dry tart finish. Carbonation is moderate.

Overall, this is a decent blend of barrel aging, sourness, and belgian candi sugar maltiness. Pleasant and enjoyable, but did not knock my socks off.

3.92/5  rDev +6.5%

Appearance: Dark red and brown. Head is off white, dissipates over time to a thin layer with no lacing.

Smell: Sour with a smooth and light malt backbone. Pleasant if not a little more mellow than I'd prefer.

Taste: Very good taste, follows the nose. Tart and sour. Love it.

Mouthfeel: I little thin bodied but not bad. Carbonation seems a little high and provides a little bite of its own.

Overall: This is a good beer. I like the aged pale by Petrus more but if you like this style give it a shot for sure. I'll probably pick this one up again in the future when I get around to it with the $$$ and flavor curiosity.

3.08/5  rDev -16.3%

dark amber, bit see through, tan head

smells a little sugary, not much sour on the nose, bit of fruits, and yeasts, not much of a smell

tastes grapey, little vinegar but not extremely sour, more sweet than sour, getting kind of a communion grape juice aftertaste

smooth, but kind of watery, its an easy drinker for an oud bruin not a sipper

I've been going through a bunch of oud bruins in the past few days, I was hoping to like this one more since I LOVE the aged pale. There isn't enough barrel in this and its not sour enough to be great for me, but its a decent table beer

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

Had at 7th Sun in Dunedin FL. Pours a deep Mahogany with brilliant red hues. The aroma is nice and malty with notes of leather and some ripe fruit. Some nice earthy malt flavors up front with some slightly tart notes in the back. The body is fairly light with a medium/high carbonation. A very nice wild ale, very mild. This would be a great beer to use as an introduction to sours.

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%