Petrus Oud Bruin - De Brabandere

good

De Brabandere visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-05-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,159 | Reviews: 564
3.32/5  rDev -9.8%

Bottle conditioned and purchased from the Ontario alcohol monopoly. This one pours a dark oak colour with a quickly fading white head. Smells of lemon and blue cheese. This is quite promising - I find lemon and cheese pairs nicely. Taste upfront is moderately sour, but this is toned down by aggressive carbonation. As the drink flattens, the sour tone is enhanced, and the beer begins to resemble a red wine that has started to turn (but in a good way). The mouthfeel lets this drink down, as the carbonation is too intense and overpowers the flavour, so I found myself agitating my glass to draws some of it out.

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Beer #8 in the 366 Days of Beer Quest, tasted on 1/08. I love this style, let's see what we have. Any label with wooden barrels gets my attention.

A: Pours a dark, garnet body into a tulip glass. A healthy, light tan head holds up nicely. The body is slightly cloudy; minimal lacing.

S: Sweet and tart like a decent Oud Bruin should be. The balance is nice w/ a good complexity. Sweet cherries and applejuice mates with light wood notes, sour cherries and a little vinegar/cider. Very appetizing. Bready yeast rounds it out.

M: Medium body, low carbonation. Fantastically soft, creamy M.F.

T: Ejoyable and tasty, yet I'm not getting that great tartness and balance that's in the aroma. An initial sweetness takes hold w/ sugar-coated cherries and apples, a weak bite of sourness gets through. The wood/oak character really comes out towards the end. It has a cherry coke-like character.

D: Good, not great. The balance is a little off IMO as the tartness isn't there. Nice to drink and easy at that but I was expecting more. A good introductory beer to the style though.

3.08/5  rDev -16.3%

Pours a dark amber with little to no head. Not much to the nose at first, a little more noticable sourness as it warms, a touch of vinegar. Let this beer warm up to the specified temps. Taste is of slightly sour cherries, minimal tartness. I was not expecting a Flanders style beer from this one. Not bad though, a good "gateway beer" for introducing people to the style.

4.24/5  rDev +15.2%

Decided to pick this up the other day as I do enjoy the brown ales. This one poured to a medium brown hue with a surprisingly smallish head that broke down very quickly and left hardly any lacing. The aroma shows a nice malt scent mixed with a slight sour character. The flavors have a little more character to it than the nose did, nice malt, some fruit like flavor, maybe some wood like flavors as well. What I really like is the sourness, which is persistent but in no way overwhelming, gives this brew a real nice flavor that mixes well with the other favors listed. While not having a very good sized head it seems to have ample carbonation. Overall this is a fine brew, lots of flavors going on that really come out in the taste. Very easy drinking.

3.08/5  rDev -16.3%

Waaay back on December 30th of 2007 (goodness) I reviewed this one and gave it a whopping score of 3.25. Now I *rarely* re-review, but felt it was warranted in this case since I've had more than a few Oud Bruins since and my appreciation for the style has evolved. So here we go.

A. Color remains unchanged, to wit: "clear brown with red highlights. Foamy, sticky "sea foam" head.". The head dies decently fast but leaves some even lacing. Okay.

S. Yeasty, musty and slightly sour oak supports some sweet cherry. Reminds me a bit of Quelque Chose. There is still that balsamic note and it seems more dried out than previously. Still, no big changes. Smells fine.

T. Hmm... dare I say, this is still rather insipid. It tastes as if it's just missing the 'core' of the beer, or like this were a diet version... you have some middling sour cherry and base malt around the edges, but there is no soul here - neither malt character nor good sourness nor fermentation interesting...ness. It's a real pity. Hollowed out and lacking. I no longer find this vinegar or a "sipper", it's simply not that good. This does not deserve the #13 spot it currently holds in Oud Bruin on this site.

M / D. Watery and thin, but the carbonation is fuller and a bit soft. Decent mouthfeel but the flavor is so boring as to inhibit real exploration. Is there aspartame in this? 'Cause my tongue says "yes". *

Interestingly... nearly three years, I'd say my palate has evolved considerably, but I STILL don't care for Petrus Oud Bruin. Then again, I've had Goudenband, Oude Tart, Dissident and Haandbakk (my personal favorite.)

So yeah, drink those and not this. My initial review score remains unchanged (and is below) Who knows, I may try this Petrus again in another 3 years... but I sort of doubt it.

*I see the same brewery makes the hated Wittekerke Rosé which DOES, in fact, contain aspartame... that is hardly promising.

***

From the bottle to my glass.

A. Clear brown with red highlights. Foamy, sticky "sea foam" head.

S. Balsamic vinegar comes to mind. Sour cherries. Caramel. Cool.

T. Very sour; tart cherries. Woody. Cleansing. Hints of caramel malt, a definite oak presence. Vinegary almost. A sipper.

M. Low carbonation, watery, thin mouthfeel.

Not really my thing, to be honest. It's more drinkable than stuff like Rodenbach Grand Cru, but I don't much care for sour cherries and this has too much of them to warrant another purchase from me. If you like this sort of thing give it a shot; it seems to be a decent example of the style.

3.6/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A dark ruby whose head does not stay around for long. Nose is malty with an oak edge showing itself after a strong attempt to draw the scents out. Flavor is fairly smooth and not too distinct. Malt presence is slight. Feel has a bit of carbonation to it that might border on a bit too much...well it would be too much if there were more than what is already present. This is very drinkable for how smooth it is, but the question to be asked is why would you go for this one repeatedly?

This is the last from the 6-pack from Petrus. The "aged pale" is by far the winner.

4.09/5  rDev +11.1%

On Tap at the Trappist in Oakland, CA. Nice dark amber appearance, great head retention. Cool sour wet horse blanket notes on the aroma that are mostly in aroma, not so much in the actual taste. Pretty low carbonation for the style. Much sweeter in the finish than you would expect from the aroma. Nice complexity when you want a balance of sweet/sour. Great complexity of flavors considering the alcohol content. Very drinkable and enjoyable.

3.73/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured a nice head from a strong pour. The head shinked quickly to a thin lace. The amber color was a rich color with a notable appearance of what might be called wisps of smoke.

A light scent of fruit, mostly that of cherry, is noted.

I tried this beer due to the labels mention of aged in oak, which I have been starting to grow fond of. The beer is tart with the flavor of cherries quickly coming to the fore front. It is leaves a hint of vinegar that somehow doesn't seem out of place.

Though not a favorite style for me, I thought it was very good. I think serving it with a platter of cheeses in the spring/summer would be a great presentation.

3.67/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours from the small 330ml. brown bottle a dark mahogany brown with 1/4" light tan head that dissapates almost instantly, leaving no lasting lace.

Large sporatic bubbles of carbonation bring out a sour, spicy nose that is rather pungent. It's a pleasant sourness that is right on target for the style.

Dark fruit full of sourness and oak that turn nutty malt and lightly sweet to the finish. Very nice flavor with some complexity.

Starts light in the mouth, then fluffs to a smooth, velvet-like finish on the tongue. Medium-light body overall.

Quite drinkable with the alcohol hardly detectable. A nice sour beer that's sessionable, for sure.

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

This beer pours a deep brown with a tan tight head that slowly settles down to a thin layer. There is some lacing.

The aroma is a wonderful mixture of wet earth, dark fruit, and doughy bread. Complex and inviting.

The flavor starts with a little bit of sourness and plum in the front of the palate and turns a little bread-like as it washes over the back of the palate. The oak presence is so subtle but perfect--a very nice underlying element.

The mouthfeel is light in body with high carbonation. The beer coats the mouth nicely leaving a dryness.

This is a very drinkable beer. It is very refreshing and full of complex flavors. I highly recommend it.

3.68/5  rDev 0%

Thank you Phatz for having a few of us gentlemen over to taste this brew “side-by-side” with my Goudenband.

This fine example of an Oud Bruin pours a dark amber/brown. Small thin head creates a bit of lacing on my glass. Looks very tasty sitting there in my glass.

Slightly fruity and a bit sour. Smells of sweeter fruits rather than sour. A bit on the earthy side. There is a nice element of complexity to its aroma.

On the sweet side with a bit of graininess. Some oak but it is very subtle barely noticeable. The yeast lends a hand to the array.

Good mouthfeel. Slightly tart fruitiness. A bit of sweet maltiness. Moderately carbonated compliments the flavor well and adds positively to the moutfeel. Well balanced for its diversity in the character department.

Great tasting brew. Alongside of Goudenband this one is more mild. I enjoyed both of them tremendously and would revisit this one as well.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Sorry but this following comment is in french :

Appearance : bière brune, mousse abondante tenant bien et un dégagement gazeux important
Smell : un nez fruité et boisé
Taste and mouthfeel : acide en bouche, avec des notes de porto, un fruité moyen et peu d'amertume
Drinkability : bonne bière dans le style oud bruin (brune des Flandres)

4.07/5  rDev +10.6%

pours like a Coke in colour, fizz and head. has a bakery smell of yeast, cinnamon and butter. Mmmm it tastes delicious but has a sour middle. i'm not sure about this one. I need another taste.yep this is very good, ginger and cinnamon. A good winter beer. I will buy this again if the LCBO keeps carrying it.

3.91/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from an 11.2 oz brown botttle into a tasting glass. The bottles notes 2 year aging in oak barrels.

A - Deep caramel/cola brown w/ a thin tan head that makes nice lace.

S - Slightly green apple/sour odors w/ gentle grainy notes in the nose.

M - Nice, full effervessence w/ tart fruit feel and gentle sweetness. The finish is malty w/ a grainy texture.

T - Sweet w/ toasty notes and slightly vanilla oak notes. Grainy w/ a slightly sour citrus flavor. Nice gentle spice and yeastiness in the sweet finish.

D - Intense yet quaffable and complex w/ nice balance. I found this to a very fine brown w/ high drinkability.

3.97/5  rDev +7.9%

When poured from the bottle to my belgian glass, the beer displayed a clear brown color with hints of ruby. The head was tan. The aroma was sour with hints of grape. The one word I can think to describe it is "fresh". The flavor was very balanced. The light body character gave it a dry perception in my mouth. There was a definate grainy/cereal flavor. I feel like, in my opinion, this was a good example of an Old Bruin. I reviewed this beer with a side-by-side comparison to Liefmans Old Bruin and I lean towards Liefmans in preference.

4.05/5  rDev +10.1%

Wow! What an initial head on this beer! Pillowy four fingers of tan head, rising over the rim of my pint glass (not ideal glassware, I know), eventually faded to a decent ring. Some sticky lacing. The beer itself is a clear brown with auburn highlights -- huge initial carbonation, which does not persist.

Interesting aromas for a brown ale (I'd never tried a Flemish Oud Bruin before) -- diacetyl and roasted malts combine for a toffee, but there's also something vinous to it. It has hints of vinegar, like the Flemish Red, which really come through on the palate. Even before I signed on to BA, I knew I was going to say that it tasted more like a Flemish Red than any Brown Ale I'd ever tried. Upon reading the style notes, that makes sense.

Tastes (to me) of brown butter, carmelized cherries, a touch medicinal. Really good and unusual -- I've got to try some of the higher ranked Oud Bruins! I'm bad at tasting oakiness in flavorful beers, but as this was aged for 20 months in oak, I assume that's the woody flavor. Mouthfeel is very dry and astringent for the sweetness of the beer and the overall finish is unexpected, but very well crafted (maybe that's the oak?). I feel like this beer could have been syrupy and oily without that dryness. Highly sessionable, if you're well-off -- at $3+ a bottle, this will have to be a rare treat for me.

[postscript -- funny, I really didn't look much at the other reviews before writing -- purely by coincidence, I gave this beer the same breakdown as the reviewer before me. strange.]

4.05/5  rDev +10.1%

I reviewed this beer at a bar that served it way to cold so I let it warm for awhile but I do have some bottles at home and I will edit my review if I deem it necessary. The brew pours an amber brown color. Fairly good head retention and lacing.

The nose is very typical of a good Flanders Oud Bruin. Has notes of wood, spices, a good sourness and rather vinous.

Tastes of sour fruits, a bit wine like and some spices. Very refreshing and has a great mouthfeel.

4.22/5  rDev +14.7%

11.2 oz., typical small Euro/Belgian bottle,

A: Pours a dark brown, with gorgeous blood-red highligjts when held up to the light. Only has a head, though, for like 2 seconds, a little swirl brings back the head for a time, but it is short-lived.

S: Complex smell of sour funk, oak, wood, and fermented malt.

T: Mildly sour, not over the top, funky malt, with some dark ale fruit there as well. Molasses flavours play a part, there is a slight hint o of brown sugar over the sourness. I find it pairs really well with a raw cheddar cheese.

M: Sharp and acidic, though not as sour as something like a Berliner Weisse, overall, light to medium-bodied.

D: A very good Oud Bruin, though I haven't had many of the style. Not the most robust, funky sour ale nonetheless, but easy to drink, even though it is kind of pricey at about $3.50 a bottle at Hi-Times.

4.32/5  rDev +17.4%

Dark brown colour that looks almost black at some angles but has burgundy red edges where a bright light glows on the other side of the glass. One finger light brown head, bubbles disappated quickly but the surface remained wispy with good lacing. A swirl regenerated the head but little by way of visible carbonation. Smells of dates, figs, molasses, vanilla. The taste is sweet and sour, fruit cake, malt, tempered bitterness, nicely balanced. There is a rich mouthfeel that had a very smooth texture and a gentle finish of stewed apples and prunes. There was a degree of complexity here that I quite liked, I'll grab another of these next trip to the LCBO.

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2 oz bottle from a 2006 holiday sampler, consumed in October 2007.

Thus far I've been very disappointed by Petrus beers, but this one is genuinely good.

Pours into my Duvel tulip a deep brown with some dense head and lacing. Bubble fall along the side of the glass in a fast but beautiful waterfall. Very deep and dense brown color with orange highlights.

Smells like a very non-sweet candy. Taste is very well-integrated - not overly syrupy, not too much with the candy sugar. Any sourness is muted or not present, to my taste - more like a straightforward non-wild dubbel, maybe a touch too sweet for my tastes, but certainly in keeping with the style. Alcohol is present but pleasant - well-masked. Sticks in your memory for a while and just feels *good*, even improves as you savor it after the taste - unusual! But there's a very faint astringency that doesn't quite fit with the sweetness - and makes me hesitate on that next drink.

I've got 1-2 more to try from Petrus, but this one is definitely a notch above the rest. It's no Westvleteren 8, or even close to the other Trappist dubbels, but it's no slouch.

2.78/5  rDev -24.5%

Appearance - Pours a clear burgandy color. HUGE off-white fizzy head with some, but not a lot of staying powers. Very little lacing.

Aroma - Smell is not strong, but get definite notes of red vinegar. Hints of a breadiness, molasses, some dark, ripe fruits.

Taste - Not much flavor at all. Weird. Some light caramel and molasses. Hint of dark fruit and malt sweetness. Some very light flavoring hops in the after-taste. Not much else.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Light carbonation.

Drinkability - This is my first Flanders Old Bruin, so I don't know if this is good or not, so I'm just rating it average by default for drinkability.

3.65/5  rDev -0.8%

A- Mahogany that's perfectly clear, with a white soapy head.

S- Malt, vinegar, oak, molasses. The sourness is the most evident thing about it.

T- More of the sour, and a hint of the sweet malt balancing, but mostly a lot like malt vinegar.

M- Medium-light body, low carbonation, sourness lingers in a dry finish.

D- Not very drinkable because of the immensity of the sour melded with the sweet malt. It's a strange flavor.

3.32/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours a deep brown. Short head disappears quickly.Aroma is complex with some cherry and tannins. I was expecting much more than I got from drinking. It's pretty bland although the aroma flavors are present in the taste. Just seems diluted -- hence the low mouthfeel rating.

Maybe I'm being unfair. I was looking forward to this brew and it didn't live up to my expectations. Buy one thinking it's going to be horrible and maybe you'll like it. It wasn't bad, but it's a bit mellow.

3.95/5  rDev +7.3%

From an 11.2 oz bottle from a 6-bottle multipack, no freshness date. Into my Sam Adams glass (thanks, guys!), this one’s a deep ruby red with a small carbonation stream. Thick red-brown head fades quickly leaving a thin cap and a bit of lace. After substantial warming (label advises to serve between 8 and 12C, or 42-50F), a rich honey-mead and molasses nose develops with a hint of cinnamon. Sour candy odor pervades, which initially threw me off; is this a brown ale or a Flanders sour ale? Tastes of sweet and sour malt, yeah, this is definitely a sour ale. It’s really more “sour” than “oak aged” though with some imagination, one can get a kind of oaky flavor. I really wish that the bottle had been more specific, but after researching this beer on Beer Advocate, at least I can say I know a damn sour ale when I taste one! Flavor rather resembles dark bread with honey butter, though with that sour note. No hops in evidence here. Finishes a bit dry and sour. Mouth is the consistency of thin milk with very low carbonation, yet it’s also very smooth and clean. Drinkability is decent if you discount price; I paid around $6 a bottle with the multipack. To me, though, price always figures into drinkability, though it’s certainly an enjoyable beer. At 5.5%, it’s lower in alcohol than it might seem while remaining rich, complex, and enjoyable. I might have had another bottle had one been available, but I really don’t see me buying more of these. For me, it’s the six pack sampler and done.

Overall: Occasionally, along comes a brew that seems to be one thing but is quite another. This is one of those beers; looking at the label, one might expect an oak aged dubbel or brown ale, but instead you have what amounts to a Flanders sour ale. If you’re not familiar with the “Oud Bruin” style, you will be surprised. Actually as I have learned, the Oud Bruin style is a brown, not red Flanders ale, a slight distinction that makes more sense once you actually taste the beer. Once you figure out what you’re drinking (I was seriously thrown a curve by the tartness), you can enjoy this brew. My suggestion is to serve it cool, not cold; its complexities really don’t unravel until it warms even further than the suggested 50F. Otherwise, it’s a pretty decent sour ale, though too pricy for regular enjoyment.

3.91/5  rDev +6.3%

$3.89 at Bierkraft.

A-Pours a cloudy chestnut brown, with a nice 2 finger cream coloured fluffy head. The head settles down into a nice thick cap. sheets of lace cling to the sides of the glass. A nice looking brew.

S-Roasted malts which dont give off any sweetness are the first thing you notice. After that there is a twinge of sourness.

T-Much lighter than I was expecting given the colour and my general unfamiliarity of the style. There is a little sweetness from the malt, almost no hops and a very sublte twinge of sourness. It actually doesnt leave too much of an aftertaste. None of the flavours are too strong in this beer and it is quite subtle but nice. there are slight hints of wood, maybe some raisins and a slight metalic edge but these aspects are also subdued. As it warms more of the flavour comes out, an almost cherry cola like essence comes out.

M-Very effervecent with stinging carbonation. This pushes the beer around the mouth but also clears away the aftertaste quickly. This is light bodied and very refreshing.

D-I am digging this beer. I have no frame of reference for the style but it is one I will continue to explore when i can. This is a unique offering, one in which you cannot judge the book by it's colour. Definitely let this one warm up, I changed my rating from a 3.5 in taste to 4 as it warmed.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Petrus Oud Bruin from De Brabandere