Petrus Oud Bruin - De Brabandere

Petrus Oud BruinPetrus Oud Bruin

good

De Brabandere visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-05-2002)
3.28/5  rDev -10.9%

Had this, along with other Petrus beers, in my fridge for at least 8 months.

Served chilled and poured into my Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance is above-average. Fluffy, soapy, sand colored head forms off of the aggressive pour then quickly fades to a thin film. Color of the beer is a very dark brown with red hues on the edges.

Smell is average. That familiar Oud Bruin tart smell is there yet is subdued compared to others i've sampled within the style. I slight sweetness shines through toward the back end. Kind of bland.

Taste is average. Much like the smell; subdued flavors of tartness and sweetness. Finishes very smooth and clean. I keep fishing for more flavors but nothing comes up. Just too mellow and bland for the style.

Mouthfeel is above-average. Carbonation is very mellow (although apparent.) This makes for a thin, yet refreshing, finish.

Drinkability is good. I could finish a few bottles of this beer no problems but then i'd have to switch to something with more flavor.

Overall: I was expecting a beer with more flavor especially considering the style. I wouldn't turn one down but it's nothing to go out of your way for.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Aroma was mostly fruit, with some maltyness to it.

It's brown in colour. Some head. Little lace.

The flavour is very citusy and vinous like. Flavours of gapes, & grapefruit. It reminds me of a Lambic Kriek in some ways.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied.

Overall I like it.

2.88/5  rDev -21.7%

A lively pour. Reddish brown with a foamy head that drops quickly in a Duvel tulip.
Has a wheat like aroma...some bubblegum and a Saaz like hop odor.
Sweet wheaty malt at first, but somewhat sour and vinegary. Mild grape flavor and a hint of vanilla and bubblegum. Citrusy hops are pretty mild.
The mouthfeel is pretty thin and the carbonation is high.
Not a beer I would seek out..just bought it out of curiosity.

330 ml brown bottle. Date code stamped on back label>

Toffee brown with a creamy beige head. nice lace pattern left on the glass>

Aroma is lightly malty, lightly acidic.

Flavor is tart cherries backed by a dose of cider vinegar. Touch of pepper and oak on the finish.

I believe this is the same beer which is also listed as Oak Aged Dark Beer. The correct style seems to be Flanders Oud Bruin and not Belgian Dark, hence my review will be added here.
Clear, ruby, tranparent body with good carbonation and a creamy tan head that dissipates fairly quickly and leaves good lace.
Fresh fruity sour scent. Mild sweet malts and molasses but only very faint.
The taste is much like the smell. Fresh sour fruit mix of green apple and cherries, some nutskin hop flavor and a mild aftertaste of tart green apple.
Medium mouthfeel with abit of coating.
Interesting brew, unlike most belgians and good for the summer heat.

-Oelergud

2.33/5  rDev -36.7%

Part of the same holiday gift 6-pack. I thought I got a deal paying 10$ (down from 22$). This is the 2nd beer I've tasted and I'm starting to think 5$ for the 6 pack would be more fair.

Appearance is the best thing this beer has going for it. Pours a nice, dark brown. Good, thick frothy head. All down hill after that.

Apple vinegar nose. Absoutely no oak flavor. This ale was supposedly aged in oak for 20 months. Perhaps it was aged in old oak barrels that contained apple cider and weren’t properly cleaned. Tastes like a 1/4 Newcastle brown mixed with 3/4 of an apple cider. Quite drinkable if you like the combo. If you want a cider with some color and body this would be a good choice. If you want something that remotely resembles a beer, let alone Belgian, or oaked/aged beer, stay very far away.

One of the most disappointing, but not worst, beers I have ever tasted.

4.08/5  rDev +10.9%

Served at 45 degrees F in a Duvel tulip.

Russet copper body is mostly clear. Topped by a small, frothy, light khaki head. Nose is a complex mix of brown sugar, molasses, vinegar, pepper, sour cherries, marshmallows, and vegetable matter. Taste starts off with tart, slightly bitter citrus peel. Toasted, slightly biscuity malts ensue, with some definite sour cherries. A hint of metal, oak, and smoke in an otherwise acidic, mildly tart, vinegary finish. Moderate to light bodied ale with zesty carbonation. I haven't had many examples of this style, but this seems like a good iteration. Not quite as vinegary or sour as a Flanders red ale, but still quirky and interesting.

4.4/5  rDev +19.6%

I really think this beer is the same as the Petrus Old Brown ale I reviewed here:
<http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/718/2479/?ba=alexatlatx>
So I'll just compare the two in this review rather than simply copy-paste. They have different labels, but similar features.

One difference I find in the Oud Bruin and the "Old Brown," is in its head retention. the head on the Oud Bruin dissipates quickly, while the other beer lasts until the end. The second difference is the aroma. The Oud Bruin has a less fruity and more sulphur aroma. The tastes to me are similar.

Still an excellent beer.

3.45/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured a tawny brown with red highlights. Short biege head does not stay for long. Smells wonderful. Tart cherries, vinegar, and tannins are pronounced. Really quite nice. Taste is not as intense. Actually, this really gives the impression of a watered down Duchesse. Mouthfeel is a tad watery, but drinkablity is fine.

Nothing really incredible or remarkable here. Glad I tried it. Didn't hate it. Ready to move on. Next.

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%

33 cL bottle with no freshness date, brought home from the Capital Ale House in Richmond. It pours a lightly hazy rusty/copper that thins at the bottom of the flute, and it has medium carbonation that leads up to an inch of tan head that never fully recedes and leaves nice sheets of lacing. The bouquet is sweet and tart/sour with hints of oak and mustiness. It isn't as tart on the palate as the aroma led me to believe, but it has some sourness with notes of sweet malts, leafy/green hops, and hints of red berries. The body is light at first, but becomes medium, with tingly carbonation, dryness from the tannins, and a medium to light finish. Not too bad, but as far as sour ales go, it is quite mellow - I wish it had more sourness on the palate, and that it were more robust in aroma and flavor.

3.95/5  rDev +7.3%

I think this is my first experience with this style, and I must say it's interesting. The dark, almost stout-like appearance through me for a loop, as I was expecting something more along the line of a traditional brown ale. The head was thick and just slightly off-white, as if a hint of gray was desperately trying to be noticed. A sweet, fruity aroma with a hint of malt awakened my nose as I leaned forward to sniff the brew. The tartness of bright cherries make me take serious notice as the first sip rested on my tongue. This is unlike any beer I've ever tasted, and I think I like it! So different, yet so delightful. I also appreciate the smooth, creamy texture, and the way the flavor lingers for quite some time. Sour beer, eh? I'll have to investigate more of this style.

4.2/5  rDev +14.1%

After getting rather into the sours a year back, I found myself picking this up every so often for 2 reasons: it's one of the probably 2 sours I could get frequently (the other being Duchesse de Bourgogne) and because it's quite tasty.

Turbid and brown with a half finger head, the 11.2 oz just filled my tulip glass. 11.2 oz is not a volume amount I like seeing on my beer labels. Call me greedy, if you will. The aroma was sour cherry and slight red wine vinegar. It sounds like an odd combination but it was quite enjoyable. The sour tart bite is not as noticeable in the mouth, it's a little more subdued than expected. Sour notes of apple are present with rich malts and an almost chocolate quality.

This is a good sour if you're not wanting to really get the pucker of a Flanders Red.

4.55/5  rDev +23.6%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with a creamy tan head. The body is two tones in my glass. Light around the edges with some red hues showing when back-lit. Moderate spotty lacing, good looking beer.

Smell: It has a pleasant sour candy aroma along with a pleasant smell of spoiled fruit (if that makes any sense :/). Lactic and acidic but not extreme and hints of malted milk-balls vanilla and oak also tease the senses.

Taste : apple cider vinegar lightly lactic sour. It is not as intense I I was expecting. Dark roasty attributes. Toasted malt sweet and sour flavor cling to the cheeks and induce a huge amount of salivating long after the beer is gone. Apple cider, over ripe fruit and spices. It does have some of the Lambic funk but it is restrained and when pared with hints of oak and vanilla bean and apple it makes for a truly divine flavor.

Mouthfeel: Right on. I need more Flanders Oud Bruin. This beer is so smooth and creamy it is heaven sent. The beer seems a bit light in weight (adding to drinkability) but the acidity gives it a magnificent 'presence' in the mouth.

Drinkability: As a huge fan of sour beer I was hoping for something intense. Instead what I found is a partner for my Duchesse De Bourgogne on my, 'pick up every beer trip' list. This beer is so easy to drink (for a fan of Flemish Sours) it is ridiculous at $69.99 a case it is a few bucks cheaper than the Duchesse at $77.69 a case.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.03/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance: Opaque brown but not red or even ruby, just brown.

Smell: Sweettarts.

Taste: More sweettarts, vinegar and sour fruit. Not to be mistaken, this is all in a good way.

Mouthfeel: Not so good here. Thin and watery with a dissatisfying tingle of carbonation, but not enough to break the beer by any means.

Drinkability: I'm pretty sure I could drink these all night long. Maybe the sourness would get to me after a while but it would be a long while.

Beef Notes: Sometimes I crave a sour beer like this and when I did, I used to go to Duchese. I think I'll be going the way of Petrus now.

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into a La Chouffe tulip. Received a tiny head that didn't stay around long at all. Forms a bubbly crown around the rim, has good clarity, and overall it looks like black cherry soda.

Aroma is tart, woody, fruity. No idea how old this bottle is, I imagine this ages well, but there's dust and must in the aroma that doesn't smell like it's supposed to be there. Or maybe it is.

Flavor is big on chocolate-covered cherries, musty yeast wildness, and woody oak, plus a little black pepper. Various fruits come to mind with each sip. Naturally there's a sourness here, but it's not overpowering at all.

Mouthfeel is light, thin, crisp. Mildly puckery tartness in the mouth, going along well with the sour finish.

Enjoyable, not extraordinary, though one of the most drinkable of the sour Belgian ales. Easy to like, and probably a good one to recommend to someone just starting out with the sour spectrum of Belgium's beers. Only big complaint is the bottle size. 8.4 oz.? It ain't quantity over quality, I know, but just when you're getting into the beer, it's over. This is a quality beer, and I want a few more ounces of it.

4.03/5  rDev +9.5%

A - Deep reddish burgundy with one finger of head that lingers a while. Thick lacing forms in intricate patterns all down the sides.

S - A tart aroma like sour cherries.

T - Sour like slightly underripe sour cherries with a touch of funk and caramel malt. Very good taste.

M - Smooth, very refreshing and thin.

D - Great, this is a very drinkable sour beer, lacks the vomitesque nature of some of its cousins. I wouldn't mind having this again.

4.8/5  rDev +30.4%

A nice dark brown with slight amber highlights in the glass. Decent half finger off white head that melts to a ring of off white lacing.,
Aromas are toasted malt and oak.
Taste is first sweet amber malt then a very pleasant sourness that balances and melds the two sensations perfectly. Light oak comes through on the aftertaste mellowing the experience.
Mouthfeel is both creamy and brisk from the sourness that follows.
This is really a pleasure to drink and enjoy.
And EXCELLENT beer.

1.75/5  rDev -52.4%

Deep red color, with ruby reflexes. Beige foam, not too compact, decent, anyway.
In the smell some sourness, but there is something too sweet. When it warms, it is even worse.
The taste: no. Sweetish imitation of an oud bruin. Sweet strawberry, syrupy. And the sourness?
The aftertaste too issweet and syrupy, with a light point of bitterness.
False.

3.43/5  rDev -6.8%

A - Clear, but very dark brown. Head is neither large nor long-lasting.

S - Tart with raisins and prunes.

T - Quite fruity with a tinge of sourness. Again, a prune-y fruit comes through. Overall, I'd say the flavour is nice, but not assertive.

M - A little astringent, but refreshing none-the-less.

D - Easy drinking and accessible. Could be more flavourful though.

4.22/5  rDev +14.7%

Served in a Duvel Tulip.

Pours a clear, dark burgundy with no head, save or a tiny ring around the surface. Smells of cherries and wood, with hints of apple. Starts out sour in the taste, mellows out to a light syrupy sweetness and finishes with some more cherry sourness. Mouthfeel is light and smooth. Very tasty and easy to drink, yet full of complexities.

3.43/5  rDev -6.8%

11.2 oz bottle. Poured into a pils glass it forms a reddish body with quite a bit of carbonation. Head is off white leaning towards pink and has sliding ring lace left behind.

Definitely a sourness right from the get go and at times tart, mostly towards the beginning. It has some wild yeast characteristics, showing some tart candy, and lambic similarities. I don't pick up much of the oak barrels, maybe with aging that comes out more? but for now its not evident to my palate. Hops are not a factor.

Notes: This is like a lambic with a malt profile worth mentioning.
This one will pull ya a few different ways. Does it blend together nicely? Yes. It had my interest from start to finish. That warrants a future purchase at a minimum.

4.85/5  rDev +31.8%

Petrus Oud Bruin: oh, how I love thee. Let me count the ways.

1.) You look especially exceptional under a dim light. Your beautiful brown complexion is complimented by your clarity, allowing a nice amber hue to shine. You have a fine-knit tannish head that could only be described as effervescent. Your lacing shimmers like the stars.

2.) You smell lovely. Your perfume of cherry and rasberry tart aroma is mouth-watering. It is a smooth and pleasing aroma, as opposed to some of your sour red-headed slut cousins who get so gussied up that their aroma can actually burn your nostrils and probably get you high.

3.) You taste so good in my mouth. A wonderful balance of sweet malty flavors and delightfully tart fruity flavors. Your must completely dries out my mouth, but your taste lingers on my tongue for what seems like eternity. I don't mean to sound like a whore, but I wish your sisters were here so I could suckle them dry as well, for I am still craving that taste.

4.) Your body is undeniably sexy. Thin with a nice sparkle of energy. You have a sweet side and a sour side, but regardless of your disposition, I still love you.

5.) I would love to revisit you often, but you are an expensive date. Also, you can give me heartburn in too large of doses. But like they say, you've never felt hurt til you've felt love.

4.08/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours chestnut with a 1" offwhite head. Zero lacing & head retention

S: Awesome sour/lactic odors

T: An almost sugary sweetness is quickly steamrolled by sourness tartness & dry/wood notes. I also get granny smith apple & vanilla notes as it warms. Finishes with slight tart cherry notes & extreme dryness

MF: Light to medium bodied with a low carbonation level & good balance, adds up to the sensation of licking a Popsicle & running outta of ice cream!

Drinks pretty good, the tartness & dryness make we want to drink at least one more...Definitely one of those beers that made me love my visits in BE, very funky & out of the norm

3.93/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a clear deep garnet color with a thin head of whitish foam. The head falls within a minute to end up a small ring around the glass. There really aren’t any bubbles rising to maintain the head, so you end up with a lace across the top of the beer and that is about it.

Aroma: Really clean and fruity aroma with Black Cherry in particular. There is a mild wild yeast aroma here, but it still manages to maintain a sweet dark caramel presence. Deeper into the aroma, there is a woody thing that is pretty defined. It has a slight roasty character deep within the aroma.

Taste: The flavor is also clean with a sweet malty presence to go with the dark fruit and cherries. I get a slightly oxidized flavor that doesn’t detract from the beer much, but adds complexity. There is lots of fruit here, but the caramel sweetness compliments it nicely. The finish is definitely malt driven…or at least not hop, spice, etc driven. The finish is sweet with some slightly sour syrupy goodness left on your palate to linger for some time. There really is no alcohol noticeable.

Opinion: I think that this beer is pretty good. I guess that it is a Flanders Brown, and it fits that category pretty well. It comes across as a tad thin, but that enhances its drinkability. I like the sweet and sour contrast, and the fact that this beer has some age on it doesn’t detract from the whole flavor profile. I was really careful not to pour the sediment from the bottom as there is quite a bit. This would have likely detracted since it has some age on it. All in all, I think that this was a pretty darn good beer, and one that I would like to try again as a fresher example.

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured a reddish darnk brown color, with minimal head.

Smelled of apples, pear, and a touch of cinnamon. Very cidery smell.

Ok, this was definitely aged in oak barrels, very oaky flavor. Also lots of apples, and a touch of vanilla and citrus. Very sweet overall.

Very thin and heavily carbonated in the mouth.

Overall, it was alright. Not an easy one to keep drinking, but a good novelty beer to have every now and then.

Petrus Oud Bruin from De Brabandere