Petrus Oud Bruin - De Brabandere

Flanders Oud Bruin |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-05-2002

Ratings: 1,199 | Reviews: 572
3.12/5  rDev -15.4%

Acidic, sour fruitiness on the nose. Vinegar, a definite raspberry/cherry presence there. Smells like a quite tart fruit juice may.

Pours a very dark red in the glass with a pretty decent head that unfortunately fizzles away pretty fast. Ah well.

Taste is somewhat sweet, vaguely fruity. Raspberries?? Yes definitely a raspberry taste. Definitely subdued and not over the top. I expected more in the tartness department, as that's quite minor. Leaves behind a bit of a raspberry soda type taste.

Eh, it's alright. Doesn't particularly interest me a lot. Would have liked more character.

3.12/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Served from bottle into a Petrus glass.

A: Amber-brown, with head that quickly receded to a thin cap
S: A bit of malt mixed with sour funk. This is probably correct for the Oud Bruin style, but I personally didn't like it. If it wasn't the style, I would mark the score lower.
T: Like the smell. Same comments about style.
M: Full mouthfeel with a bit of prickly carbonation
O: Probably a good representative of the style, but my taste for the style hasn't developed enough for me to enjoy this fully or to be able to rate it accurately versus other oud bruins for example.

3.11/5  rDev -15.7%

11.2oz. bottle poured into a Flying Dog goblet

A: It is a nice dark brown that shows its true colors in the light which reveals a nice dark amber red with a bit of sediment on the bottom.

S: There is a nice sweet smell here like that of apples with a lot of yeastiness. It is quite tart smelling as well.

T: Slightly sweet and slightly tart. Kind of like a slightly dry cider that was fermented with either raspberries or sour cherries. The light tart sweetness is quickly counteracted by the yeastiness. Lack complexity. There is all but two notes here.

M: Very slight but subtle carbonation. Nice and even with no particular bite or crispness in it.

O: Different. Every time I go to try a 'sour' of the same style, it always turns out to be some slightly different style. I haven't had a single sour of the same style and this is my first flanders oud bruin. Not bad, but I wish it was either sweeter or tarter or less yeasty. Not terribly bad but not great.

3.11/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured into Deschutes snifter, reviewed in low light.

A- Pours a huge fluffy head with a light cream color. head quickly dissipates to almost nothing, but a thick ring of foam at the edge remains. color through the glass is quite dark (low light?), with a very deep brown with dark cherry red tinges. Looks like a pretty beer to me.

S- Smell explodes right after pour, but quickly dies to something much more mild. Sour fruit right away, smells like tart apples and grapes, a little wood-ish smell coming through. Smells tasty! definitely some typical belgian spiciness coming through, orange peal and belgian yeast.

T- Not at all what i expected/did not match the smell that i was getting. A very tartness right at the beginning, but guickly gave way to a smoother and slightly sweeter taste. Lots of spicy / Belgian yeast flavors coming through. A lot more malty than i expected (not very experienced with the style to be fair), pretty smooth. definitely some fruit coming through, like some orange peels with a hint of bannanna-like taste. the tart grapes/apples from the nose are lost, but the beginning tartness gives an aftertaste/feel akin to drinking some tart apple/grape juice or cider.

M- despite the head dying quickly, the beer holds quite a bit of carbonation which comes out in the mouth. The beer is smooth and significant (though I wouldn't say thick). It leaves a dryness in the mouth despite some sweeter notes, again akin to a tart apple or something.

O- Pretty decent brew. i would like a little more developed flavor, as it seemed like a pretty basic Belgian flavor profile with a little tartness thrown in. I would have liked more sour-ness, but then i am probably looking to the wrong style for that. Not a bad brew, would drink it again but not one i would seek out (esp. at $4 for a 12 oz. bottle)

3.1/5  rDev -16%

Pours brown with a thin white head, quickly settles to a film. No lacings.

Malty aroma. Some tart berries, little bit of vanilla, some alcohol.

A little bit of tartness up front but the beer settles down to a resounding "meh". Aside from some awfully english tasting malt, the aging has left a pleasant enough oakiness to the beer, but it's very soft.

Carbonation is far too aggressive, makes the beer feel quite thin.

Not the greatest, might be a good intro to the style, offering some decent malt but none of the challenging aspects of a proper example of the style

3.1/5  rDev -16%

11.2 oz bottle, cheap stuff.

Pours a nice brownish red, slightly clear with some nice carbonation bubbles rising. The head is large and off-white and sticks for a bit before leaving nice lacing.

The smell is pretty fruity, mostly cherries. There is a slight vinegar smell as well. No real sign of the oak.

The mouthfeel is watery, seems like most Petrus brews are. The taste is light, with some metallic notes. There is also some tart cherry.

This one along with monk's Cafe are utterly forgettable examples of this style.

3.09/5  rDev -16.3%

Drank from my Stella tulip.

A - Pours a nice Mahogany colour with an Ivory coloured head that reduces to a lacing film.

S - A little metallic but lots of dark fruits and spice.

T - A little tartness on the front but not really enough. The stewed dark fruits are there but not pronounced enough. Quite well balanced overall.

M - A littel thinn and sticky on the finish. Carbonation is fullish.

O - Duch De Bourg and Liefmans Goudenband are far better examples of this style. Billy B's Dark Apple beer beats them all.

3.09/5  rDev -16.3%

This brew pours a dark mahogany color with a billowing white head. The aroma tart and sour, but rather mild. The taste is also rather mild. There is some sourness, but really nothing else. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a lot of carbonation. Overall, this beer is okay. However, I do not think I will drink it again.

3.08/5  rDev -16.5%

dark amber, bit see through, tan head

smells a little sugary, not much sour on the nose, bit of fruits, and yeasts, not much of a smell

tastes grapey, little vinegar but not extremely sour, more sweet than sour, getting kind of a communion grape juice aftertaste

smooth, but kind of watery, its an easy drinker for an oud bruin not a sipper

I've been going through a bunch of oud bruins in the past few days, I was hoping to like this one more since I LOVE the aged pale. There isn't enough barrel in this and its not sour enough to be great for me, but its a decent table beer

3.08/5  rDev -16.5%

Waaay back on December 30th of 2007 (goodness) I reviewed this one and gave it a whopping score of 3.25. Now I *rarely* re-review, but felt it was warranted in this case since I've had more than a few Oud Bruins since and my appreciation for the style has evolved. So here we go.

A. Color remains unchanged, to wit: "clear brown with red highlights. Foamy, sticky "sea foam" head.". The head dies decently fast but leaves some even lacing. Okay.

S. Yeasty, musty and slightly sour oak supports some sweet cherry. Reminds me a bit of Quelque Chose. There is still that balsamic note and it seems more dried out than previously. Still, no big changes. Smells fine.

T. Hmm... dare I say, this is still rather insipid. It tastes as if it's just missing the 'core' of the beer, or like this were a diet version... you have some middling sour cherry and base malt around the edges, but there is no soul here - neither malt character nor good sourness nor fermentation interesting...ness. It's a real pity. Hollowed out and lacking. I no longer find this vinegar or a "sipper", it's simply not that good. This does not deserve the #13 spot it currently holds in Oud Bruin on this site.

M / D. Watery and thin, but the carbonation is fuller and a bit soft. Decent mouthfeel but the flavor is so boring as to inhibit real exploration. Is there aspartame in this? 'Cause my tongue says "yes". *

Interestingly... nearly three years, I'd say my palate has evolved considerably, but I STILL don't care for Petrus Oud Bruin. Then again, I've had Goudenband, Oude Tart, Dissident and Haandbakk (my personal favorite.)

So yeah, drink those and not this. My initial review score remains unchanged (and is below) Who knows, I may try this Petrus again in another 3 years... but I sort of doubt it.

*I see the same brewery makes the hated Wittekerke Rosé which DOES, in fact, contain aspartame... that is hardly promising.

***

From the bottle to my glass.

A. Clear brown with red highlights. Foamy, sticky "sea foam" head.

S. Balsamic vinegar comes to mind. Sour cherries. Caramel. Cool.

T. Very sour; tart cherries. Woody. Cleansing. Hints of caramel malt, a definite oak presence. Vinegary almost. A sipper.

M. Low carbonation, watery, thin mouthfeel.

Not really my thing, to be honest. It's more drinkable than stuff like Rodenbach Grand Cru, but I don't much care for sour cherries and this has too much of them to warrant another purchase from me. If you like this sort of thing give it a shot; it seems to be a decent example of the style.

3.08/5  rDev -16.5%

11.2oz bottle purchased in Spokane at Jim's Homebrew for $4.36. My first of the style.

Poured a dark cola color, taking on a ruby hue when held up to light. Two inches of bubbly, tan foam that recedes quickly. Spotty lace.

Brown sugar and sour fruit greet the nose, along with a slightly boozy note that seems odd for a beer under 6%.

Sour flavor hit the tastebuds first, swiftly followed by a cherry fruitiness and a mild, nutty flavor. In the background is an oakey flavor, no doubt from the cask aging. The fadeout is dry and bitter, in a fruity sort of way rather than a hoppy way.

Medium bodied, with a slick, coating mouthfeel.

My first Oud Bruin seems to sit within the style guidelines. Not a bad beer, but not one I find terribly interesting, either. Perhaps this is one of those styles that just doesn't work for me. I'm glad I tried it, and will try another of the style at some point, but I don't think I'll be re-upping for this beer anytime soon.

3.08/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a dark amber with little to no head. Not much to the nose at first, a little more noticable sourness as it warms, a touch of vinegar. Let this beer warm up to the specified temps. Taste is of slightly sour cherries, minimal tartness. I was not expecting a Flanders style beer from this one. Not bad though, a good "gateway beer" for introducing people to the style.

330 ml bottle
5.5% ABV
I tried this beer on October 27th after purchasing from my local LCBO outlet. The beer poured a nice dark brown into the glass with a 1cm tannish head. The aroma is slightly sour with some nut hints. The mouthfeel is medium and sour to the tongue with some mild carbonation. The flavour is sour with some malt tones mixed in.

3.07/5  rDev -16.8%

A: Pours a dark and cloudy ruby red color. A two finger head forms, and recedes to a ring. Little lace.
S: This starts out good. Slightly sour fruits of pears and apples. Some funky aromas with dry wood and sweet malt.
T: There is just not much of a flavor here besides dank sweet malt. Very light sourness. Nothing else. Not very impressed.
M/D: The body is on the lighter side of medium. A little watery, and not very crisp or dry. Not something I really care to keep coming back to.

Just kind of blah. I think I was expecting more for some reason. Nothing bad. Though nothing I will get again when there are much better versions easier to get.

3.07/5  rDev -16.8%

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass...

A - Pours a nice redish brown color, with a foamy 2 finger off-white head.

S - Full of tart, sour cherries and a slight vinegar note.

T - Sour when it hits the front of the tongue, then really mellows out when it goes back. Really unique sour, roasty dark fruit flavor, but not too sour.

M - Has a medium mouthfeel, with some good carbonation.

O - This is my first flanders-style ale, and I wasn't sure I was gonna like it. I was pleasantly suprised. Smells more sour than it really is, rounds out nicely on the pallete. I'm not sure I will buy it again, but I will drink this one, and I'm glad I've tried it.

3.06/5  rDev -17.1%

11.2 oz bottle. Pours ruby amber with a big fizzy light tan head that goes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is subdued - some acidic fruity sourness and some funk. As it warms it's more sweet woody cherries.

The flavor is sweet acidic malts with tart fruits and some light sourness and funk. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with some sharp carbonation.

Overall, an OK mild acidic sour that is more sweet than sour. Probably a good beginner sour.

3.06/5  rDev -17.1%

3rd Bottle from the 'Petrus range' I've reviewed, more in the garage awaiting their turn!

This brown 33cl bottle is just a little out of date, should have been consummed by 24th May 2009, drank and reviewed 30th Sept 2009.

Poured into a Westmalle chalice, it was bound to look good and it did. A deep ruby red colour with a thick tan head (at first), the head soon fell away though.

This is one of the sour smelling and tasting Oud Bruins that's for sure. Vinegarous aroma and flavour doninates everything once the bottle has been broached. I can't pretent to actually enjoy the sour styled ones, but I do understand where they are coming from and can almost appreciate them, almost that is! Farmyard, old cherry and plum flavoured hints start to arrive in the aroma and taste as the beer warms, this doesn't help my appreciation in any way either.

The rear label claims Oak barrels are used during its 20 months in maturing, this obviuosly adds to the character of the brew.

Glad I've had one, will not be having another.

3.06/5  rDev -17.1%

Appearance - Off-white head, tan ring, decent-low retention and low stick. Dark, clear brown body.

Smell - Spoiled apples. Cinnamon. Vinegar.

Taste - Sour. Slight vinegar. Very dry. Slightly metallic finish.

Mouthfeel - Watery. Slight effervescence.

Overall Drinkability - Not a whole lot of complexity. Sort of a bare-bones, skeletal variety of sour.

3.06/5  rDev -17.1%

I picked this one up the other day at The Party Source in Bellevue, KY. Overall, I'm a little let down by it, but I guess I've had worse beers. Review is from notes taken on 7/28/2010 and poured from the bottle to a tulip.

Appearance: Pour is a dark cola brown mixed with some slightly lighter hints of mahogany; starts with a 1/2 finger light tan head that fades to a full and uneven creamy cap; body is really opaque and you can only see a little bit of carbonation at the top near the sides; nice washes and spots of lacing are left behind.

Smell: Smell is of tart cherries with a bit of dank mustiness; a faint maltiness and a bit of a musty wet woody scent; nose is not especially potent and if it was stronger, this one would definitely rate a little higher.

Taste: Not quite what I had hoped for and not really robust at all -- some slight cherry tartness; a mild caramel maltiness hides out in the back; a bit of that wet woody mulchiness, but not much of it; not really as tart as I had hoped either.

Mouthfeel: Really not as puckeringly tart as I had hoped -- body is light and a little watery and thin; carbonation is nice and spritzy though; a nice semi-dry coating is left all over the mouth and finishes cottony dry.

Drinkability: Not bad, but not the experience that I was looking for in terms of robustness in mouth, nose and feel; still, it's pretty refreshing and fine for the summer, but there are definitely some other beers that provide much of an experience.

3.06/5  rDev -17.1%

2011 vintage. Really not much going on here, smelled like vinegar, tasted like carbonated water with a just a tiny hint of malt sweetness.

3.05/5  rDev -17.3%

Appearance -- Pours a deep brown with ruby highlights, good clarity, with two fingers of rocky beige head. Thick bands of lacing.

Smell -- Raisin, molasses, cider vinegar, green apples, cocoa powder.

Taste -- Roast malt and a hint of raisin along with Granny Smith. Instead of the vivid tartness the nose implied there is a lingering tangy element throughout the sip. Wet lumber oakiness makes itself known in the finish. Overall, everything tastes muted.

Mouthfeel -- Light in body with ample prickly carbonation. Finish is slightly dry. By far the most satisfying component of this beer.

Drinkability -- While this was an easy-drinking beer, there wasn't much exciting going on. Sure, you could drink this all night, but why? It tastes thin and watered down. This was a bit of a let down. Next time I'll stick with their Aged Pale.

3.04/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours copper with ruby highlights and a quickly fading head.
Nose reminds me of a pungent white wine (which I'm not a fan of) with some soft grainy malt and balsamic vinegar. Later on delicate berries and plums are noticeable.
Flavours are much different, and much more malt-centred. Sweet and tangy at first with plenty of acidity and grape notes, then giving way to a lot of bready, woody malt making most of the short finish.
Carbonation is extremely high. Combined with the acidity this makes for a very prickly beer.

3.03/5  rDev -17.9%

Bottle poured into a cervoise glass. Beer is a murky dark brown color with some reds when held up to a light, with a finger of tan colored foamy head. Some light carbonation visible at the edge of the glass.

Nose is mild, some tart red berry and dark fruit sweetness, brown sugar, and spice. A touch of oak as well.

Taste is milder than the nose, a touch bland. Not much tartness on the tongue, some red berry and dark fruit notes with some bready malt and brown sugar mid tongue. Finishes fairly dry with very light lingering dark fruit flavor.

Light body with some fine carbonation, lending to a smooth mouthfeel. Pretty easy to drink and refreshing, but not very flavorful.

3.03/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 11.2 oz standard pressure-cap bottle into a snifter. Reviewed live in high elevation Kalispell, Mont.

A- Three-finger light brown head with active carbonation. Thick bubbles constantly moving around, lasting around two minutes. Rich mahogany color with little light permeating.

S- Rich sour aroma, smells barrel aged. Some woodenness.

T- Bland tasting oud bruin at first brush. Some slight tartness, some wooden flavors. Not a lot going here.

M- Creamy feel, surprisingly. Not bad, not good.

O- There are far better examples of the style.

3.03/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours a dark copper with a foamy, beige-colored head. Aromas of balsamic vinegar, sour apples and cider.

Taste mirrors the nose: opens sour with sharp notes of balsamic vinegar, sour apples and cider. Crisp mouthfeel with light carbonation. Spiced yeast surfaces with subtler expressions of oak and smokey peat. Metallic notes bring up the middle, not pleasant at all. A brief nod to sour cherries emerges before defaulting back to metallic note. Finishes dry.

Not sure what's going on with the metallic presence. Infected yeast? Regardless, certainly not as impressive as Petrus Aged Pale. Considering the perceived off taste, probably worth another try.

Petrus Oud Bruin from De Brabandere