Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Petrus Oud Bruin - De Brabandere

Petrus Oud BruinPetrus Oud Bruin

good

De Brabandere visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-05-2002

Reviews: 568 | Hads: 1,206
2.85/5  rDev -22.3%

Pours a medium brown, relatively clear, with a minor off-white head that quickly collapses. Ruby notes against the light. Aroma- sour, malty, slightly sweet, fresh brown ale. Raisins? Flavor: sharp off notes that I can't place, but it wasn't pleasant. It has the slightly sour flavor that I love in some other oud bruins and similar beers, but here is jsut isn't right. Can't recommend this one. (395 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark, yet clear, mahogany with a very fizzy head that leaves really nice lacing.

The smell was pretty weak. Some tartness, but not a whole lot. Sort of fruity (dark fruits mostly) and sweet.

The taste wasn't much stronger. Lackluster tartness. Semi-sweet with a dry finish.

Mouthfeel was decent. Highly carbonated, but it worked.

Drinkability suffers because of the fact that it just isn't my cup of tea. (416 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Poured into a flared wine glass. Reviewed 6/2/2010.

Ar: tart cherry, strong raspberry, very fruity, blackberry, clean pils-esque malt, caramel, bircuity, brown ale rich sweetness, mild

Ap: clear brown/maroon, light tan head, fine, good retention, very pretty

t: fruity, blackberry, raspberry, tart hints initially, fades to fruity/caramel/honey sweetness, slightly thin, ends with mild trailing acid and fruit on honey sweetness

M: medium/thin body, medium carbonation (fine), light tartness, thin finish

O: not bad but seems dulled down/purposefully held back from its potential, strong raspberry, resembles a juice squeeze in some ways, gets worse as i have more, lacking complexity (690 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours a very deep brown with little to no head. No retention and very little lacing.

Oak and vinegar on the nose. Very pleasant. Some dark fruit, cherry maybe? Some vanilla.

Very low complexity. The oak is barely present in my glass. Subtle malt.

Terrible mouthfeel. Too watery. Likely over caronated despite the lack of head.

Not impressed overall, but it is a beer that I would drink again on a hot day. (409 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -21.5%

A lively pour. Reddish brown with a foamy head that drops quickly in a Duvel tulip.
Has a wheat like aroma...some bubblegum and a Saaz like hop odor.
Sweet wheaty malt at first, but somewhat sour and vinegary. Mild grape flavor and a hint of vanilla and bubblegum. Citrusy hops are pretty mild.
The mouthfeel is pretty thin and the carbonation is high.
Not a beer I would seek out..just bought it out of curiosity. (418 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -21.5%

Dark red brown, this has a large, light brown head that slowly dissipates to a thin, hazy top and leaves essentially no lacing.

The aroma is sweet, pungent, with notes of molasses, earth, and fruit.

The taste is sweet but sour, tangy, with earthy molasses elements, yeast, red wine, and fruit, almost like grape soda mixed with beer. It has a sweetish, slightly grainy finish. It's ok, but too sweet-sour for me. (416 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -21.3%

A - clear chocolate brown, no head.
S - vinegar, lemon, sour cherry, leather, wet dog.
T - very one dimensional. Some tart cherry, some chocolate, mostly acetic acid.
M - thin with a bit of carbonation.
O - not a bad sour per se, but there are so many that are leaps and bounds better. (285 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -20.7%

A-Pours a clear ruby brown with a thin creamy head.

S-Rather weak with just a bit of candi sugar and yeast.

T-A little bit of candi sugar sweetness and a tiny bit of sour.

M-Rather thin and a bit watery.

D-Blah. What a disappointment. I really expected a lot more from this one.

HV (286 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured into an Ithaca Tulip.

A - Pours a garnet red/light brown with little head

S - Slight vinegar, red wine, fading cherry

T - Mildly tart, not very puckery. Seems to be lacking the pop of others in this style. Minimal cherry flavor, fading vinegar.

M - Carbonation is perfect, very refreshing, does leave a light coating feeling on the tongue after but not unpleasant

D - Great for a hot summer day. At only 5.5% ABV, very sessionable.

Overall, this is an average beer at best, salvaged only by its mouthfeel and low ABV. I think it would be suited perfectly for somebody just starting to explore sours, but a well developed palate will find its missing in many areas. (677 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -19.3%

Pours a dark brown with ruby highlights. Reasonably clear, little sediment. Tan head that fades quickly.

Smells very slightly raisin-y, but mostly of acetic acid - almost vinegar-y. Very tart. Some spice - cinnamon, perhaps.

Taste is almost cola-like - high carbonation and acidity, along with fruity malt flavours and some esters. Just a hint of phenolics. Very tart.

Thin, spritzy body.

Too fizzy and too tart to be really drinkable. Hurts my teeth.

Not my kind of thing. (478 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -19.3%

Little 11.2 oz. bottle with a cartoon label of 4 oak barrels sitting in the basement of the brewery. Above the picture is the brewery's symbol of a shield with yellow lines and hop buds. Below the picture is where they tell you it's an old brown ale that was aged in oak casks for 2 years. The back label has the mandatory US information and a bottle number. Mine was bottle number #38344. At least I know the beer inside the bottle is at least 2 years old.

Appearance: I went ahead and poured this Belgian Ale into a Chimay Chalise. The beer that came out of this small bottle was a dark mahogany brown with some bright ruby red highlights along the sides. The head of foam was about 3/4 of an inch in height and was an off white color. This head of foam had good retention that left behind a small off white colored film and a few streaks of lace around the glass.

Smell: The aroma was sour, but not sour in fruits or anything. It was just sour. There were some cherries, charred oak, and yeast behind the sourness, but it wasn't busting at the seems with sour aromas. They were just aromas behind a sour wall.

Taste: This Old Brown Ale was lightly sour with bing cherries, a small touch of charred oak, a tiny hint of toasted malts, and a drop of sweet yeast. On occasion at the end of the taste, a slight taste of metallic rust came through. As you can probably tell, I didn't enjoy that taste when it came through. Other than that, it was a decent not oo sour not too oaky Belgian beer.

Mouthfeel: It was a light to medium bodied beer with a lightly sour aftertaste of cherries, charred oak, and a hint of sweet yeast. I'm glad that there wasn't any metallic rust in the aftertaste.

Drinkability: This beer had the same flavors over and over again. The one new flavor that was new was metallic rust and that's not good at all. For me, this beer could have used more sour fruits, a little bit more charred oak, increase the sourness a bit, and get rid of the rust. Where it stands, it's an OK lightly sour Belgian beer. It's not my favorite beer from Petrus. (2,067 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -19.1%

This beer is a murky brown to amber in color. Topped by a thin wispy head. Smells tart and vinuous. The first impression is that this beer is lightly sour, not as much as I was expecting from this beer. A fairly dry beer as well. At first, when cold, there is not too much flavor. It is lightly carbonated, with notes of sour plum in it, as it warms up. It does become slightly more sour as well, and it becomes a bit fuller in the mouth. Overall a fairly simplistic version of a sour Flemish ale. (497 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -18.8%

This is one that I had never heard of before, and I also don't think I've ever seen an Oud Bruin style beer in a bottle, so I had to try it. The label says that it is an Oud Bruin Ale aged in Oak Casks. It says, "Petrus Old Brown is a top-fermented dark ale brewed with the finest hops and malt varieties. Matured in oak barrels during 20 months." It says it is a product of Belgium and is 5.5% ABV.

When I poured it, it was dark brown in color, and when held to the light, it appeared to be very clear. It had a nice tan head with tiny bubbles, and it maintained a nice creamy ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.

It smelled sweet and caramelly, almost dark, fruity, and a little raisin and toffee-like. A slight hint at its sourness was in the nose.

It was surprisingly smooth with a fairly light body. It made my tongue tingle a bit, but the sourness was much more muted than I expected. The sourness was mostly noticeable in the finish, which I also found to be very, very dry (perhaps from the sourness). As I continued to taste it, I noticed nutty, raisiny, fruity, and malty flavors. Since the label says that it is aged for almost 2 years in oak barrels, I was surprised that I didn't pick up any oak flavors in it at all.

It was surprisingly refreshing for a sour beer, and might be a great "gateway beer" if you wanted to introduce your friends to sour beers. While I was tasting it, I was thinking that it would go very well with chocolaty desserts, particularly brownies. Overall, it was a good brown ale with a bit of dryness and a hint of sourness. (1,575 characters)

Appearance: A murky brown body capped by two fingers of cream-colored head that fade slowly and leave no lacing.

Aroma: A great mix of sour and vinegary notes over a sweet malt body. Mouthwatering.

Flavor: Just as the nose foreshadowed; a balanced combination of tart and sour flavors riding over a sweet malt body. Unfortunately, this is nowhere near as intense as the nose and ends up way too subdued for my tastes. Very mild sweet and sour flavors in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with somewhat spritzy medium-high carbonation and a drying finish.

Drinkability: This is surely an easy drinker if you like sours. However, I think I'd get a little bored and order one of their Aged Pales next.

Verdict: I have to say, Petrus Oud Bruin is a bit of a frustrating beer to me. Clearly, the basics are in place, but the flavor profile is just too thin, like the beer has been watered down slightly and served extremely cold. (936 characters)

It had a sourness that wasn't overwhelming and made me taste buds pucker but not for long. It's a unique sour beer that one should try to expierence the vast varitey of brews. (175 characters)

I hesitate to even review this, given that I don't think I like the Oud Bruin style (i.e. ignore the rating). That said, this seems to fit the style well. Strong, full aroma of oak and tannins, puckery mouthfeel, and a mild sourness in both the lead and finish. Persistent head, pretty red-brown color. Worth trying if you're into sour beers. (342 characters)

Small capped bottle, poured into a tulip.

Light brown in color, with an off white head that does not hold at all. It shows very little carbonation, which will again be noted on the palate, common for the style.
The aroma, just like the flavor is disappointing. Sweetish and fruity, but lightly so. Musty, acidic, sour notes are held to a bare bones minimum, and complexity is just not there.
A miss. (401 characters)

This is one big bottle of beer. I like big bottles like this, as it lets you get a good sample of the beer. Since Sheryl and I split it, we like getting the most bang for our buck. Today we have Jake with us again. Love it when he can drink with us. He knows good beer, and speaking of good beer… we will be making a batch this week. On Tuesday, Jake and I will be making a rye IPA. Can’t wait to go through the brewing process with him! Should be fun. Now, on to the Oud Bruin.

In the Glass: In the glass, it’s dark; slightly lighter than a cola would be. It has a weak tannish head, that disappears quickly. When I swirl it around in the glass, it gets a thin line of carbonation atop that again quickly disappears.

Nose: The nose is immediate with a typical brown ale sort of thing going on. It has a strong start with a weak finish, but keeps me sticking my nose deep in the glass for more. I get a hint of metal on the front of of the nose that might be a sign of what the aftertaste has. Let’s see what this beer tastes like.

Flavor: There is a lot of carbonation on the sides of the tongue. It slides down your throat smooth, but leaves an almost sour layer on the palate. The flavors are spread across the palate but mostly toward the sides and the back of the tongue. It has a bubbly sort of mouthfeel, which I will get to.

Mouthfeel: This is like drinking champagne. The bubbles explode across the tongue and the flavors are noticed toward the back of the palate. As you swallow, the bubbles focus in on the center of the tongue and the sour sets in. It’s a unique experience to say the least.

Aftertaste: The sour starts to sit in at the end. I love a good sour, but this beer isn’t sour until after you swallow. It sort of sneaks up on you. But that’s okay. It’s not a sour, so I don’t expect a ton of that. The beer is very bubbly, which is almost too much to handle for me. But still… a delicious finish with a hint of sour that begs me for another drink.

I like it. I don’t love it. But I like it. For a beer that has this much history and this much passion behind the process, I expected more. I wanted it to be thicker, and not to have as much carbonation. I do like the sour finish, but when that’s gone I don’t see myself checking back in for another drink. I like it… but I might not buy another bottle. I wonder if this beer gets better as it warms up… (2,409 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

No sour. Decent ale great color and the last wasn't bad. Excited to try it. Just fell short. I have had others of there's and been very happy. I really think it's made the way you wanted the beer to taste. Just not my thing. Little bland. Kick up the sour to go with the wood and we have gold (292 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -17.4%

Bottle poured into a cervoise glass. Beer is a murky dark brown color with some reds when held up to a light, with a finger of tan colored foamy head. Some light carbonation visible at the edge of the glass.

Nose is mild, some tart red berry and dark fruit sweetness, brown sugar, and spice. A touch of oak as well.

Taste is milder than the nose, a touch bland. Not much tartness on the tongue, some red berry and dark fruit notes with some bready malt and brown sugar mid tongue. Finishes fairly dry with very light lingering dark fruit flavor.

Light body with some fine carbonation, lending to a smooth mouthfeel. Pretty easy to drink and refreshing, but not very flavorful. (679 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 11.2 oz standard pressure-cap bottle into a snifter. Reviewed live in high elevation Kalispell, Mont.

A- Three-finger light brown head with active carbonation. Thick bubbles constantly moving around, lasting around two minutes. Rich mahogany color with little light permeating.

S- Rich sour aroma, smells barrel aged. Some woodenness.

T- Bland tasting oud bruin at first brush. Some slight tartness, some wooden flavors. Not a lot going here.

M- Creamy feel, surprisingly. Not bad, not good.

O- There are far better examples of the style. (559 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -17.4%

Pours a dark copper with a foamy, beige-colored head. Aromas of balsamic vinegar, sour apples and cider.

Taste mirrors the nose: opens sour with sharp notes of balsamic vinegar, sour apples and cider. Crisp mouthfeel with light carbonation. Spiced yeast surfaces with subtler expressions of oak and smokey peat. Metallic notes bring up the middle, not pleasant at all. A brief nod to sour cherries emerges before defaulting back to metallic note. Finishes dry.

Not sure what's going on with the metallic presence. Infected yeast? Regardless, certainly not as impressive as Petrus Aged Pale. Considering the perceived off taste, probably worth another try. (657 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -17.4%

Picked this offering up from Bevmo the other day and was really excited to try this. I'm all about the sour beers right now. Bottle has the numbers 39167 stamped on the back label near the bottom.

A - Dark reddish brown with a 1" tan white head. In the time it took for me to type the above, the head has settled back down.

S - First impression - it smells like an amber ale with some sour fruit notes. There is caramel sweetness, sour grapes, little to no hop aroma.

T - Wow, what a big let down. First impression of this beer is BORING. There is some crystal malt sweetness up front with a tiny bit of lactic sourness in the back. Little to no funk.

M - The mouthfeel is thin, watery. Carbonation is moderate.

D - Hmmm... I was expecting much more from this. If it weren't for that sourness I've come to love so much, I would have scored it much lower. Perhaps Petrus brewed this beer intentionally this way - I feel like I need to consume a lot to get 'my money's worth'. In short, it's the Bud Light of the Flanders imo. (1,029 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -17.2%

Pours copper with ruby highlights and a quickly fading head.
Nose reminds me of a pungent white wine (which I'm not a fan of) with some soft grainy malt and balsamic vinegar. Later on delicate berries and plums are noticeable.
Flavours are much different, and much more malt-centred. Sweet and tangy at first with plenty of acidity and grape notes, then giving way to a lot of bready, woody malt making most of the short finish.
Carbonation is extremely high. Combined with the acidity this makes for a very prickly beer. (521 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -16.9%

Appearance -- Pours a deep brown with ruby highlights, good clarity, with two fingers of rocky beige head. Thick bands of lacing.

Smell -- Raisin, molasses, cider vinegar, green apples, cocoa powder.

Taste -- Roast malt and a hint of raisin along with Granny Smith. Instead of the vivid tartness the nose implied there is a lingering tangy element throughout the sip. Wet lumber oakiness makes itself known in the finish. Overall, everything tastes muted.

Mouthfeel -- Light in body with ample prickly carbonation. Finish is slightly dry. By far the most satisfying component of this beer.

Drinkability -- While this was an easy-drinking beer, there wasn't much exciting going on. Sure, you could drink this all night, but why? It tastes thin and watered down. This was a bit of a let down. Next time I'll stick with their Aged Pale. (838 characters)

Petrus Oud Bruin from De Brabandere