Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Wittekerke Speciale - De Brabandere

Wittekerke SpecialeWittekerke Speciale

Awaiting 10 Reviews

De Brabandere visit their website

Witbier |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 06-10-2004

Reviews by frank4sail:
4.42/5  rDev +30.8%

Had one of these at Beermania in Brussels and liked it so much I purchased the rest of themon the shelf (yes I am a pig). Tropical pineapple, banana nose. Hazy golden color. Round banana tropical fruit in the inital taste with a follow up of wheat sweetness in the finish. Slight white head is your friend throughout. Medium carbonation to the delecate mouth. Wonderful fruity and drinkable. Nice aged sample (thanks Nasser!). Brewed 26/10/00 and this was the Wittkerke Speciale Millennium Limited Release.

3.23/5  rDev -4.4%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a yellow color with a white head. The aroma is wheat with some lemons and toffee. Not quite what I expected from a witbier, but not too bad.

The flavor is not as good and has some unexpected notes. I get the yeast, wheat and lemons like I expected, but I also get some vanilla and cough syrup notes. The beer is also lightly tart, but nothing like you would get from a sour or Berliner Weiss.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.33/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a hazy golden color with a creamy white head that fades leaving stick lacing around the glass.

Smell is of wheat, yeast, orange and bread

Taste is zesty with a nice sweat wheaty flavor, some orange and lemon, body is decent. Aftertaste is somewhat lacking, an unpleasant lingering alcoholic flavor stays behind.

Overall I'm not really impressed with this, it's not terrible but it's also not special.

2.91/5  rDev -13.9%

I've wanted to try this for a while. I have a thing for "Beers and Years" or "Beers with Years" -- I'm a slogan visionary! -- and this one seemed too good to pass up.

Well, I should have left it where I found it.

Age has not been kind to this guy. What was probably supposed to be a pleasing combination of exotic fruits -- pineapple, lemon, banana -- turned out to be a nasty, worn down yeast bomb. Harsh, sloppy yeast flavors drown out the fruit and dominate the finish. From what I can tell, there's a lot of this still out there, especially at some of the websites out there, hence the decision to review this rather than letting it slide. Sweet and too yeasty. I barely got 75% of the way through the bottle.

Wittekerke Speciale from De Brabandere
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.