Microbrew Invitational

Added by Sludgeman on 03-01-2013

Reviews: 115 | Ratings: 778
3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle:
Nice pop from that cork, and a pour that didn't yield too much head. What was present faded fairly quickly to a thin rim of bubbles atop the body. The bubbles do grow on the side of the glass with a little swirl, and recede to its thin line fairly quickly. The beer pours a reddish brown, sorta rusty in color until enough liquid turns it a deep crimson burgundy.

The nose is heavy on the dark sweet cherries, no doubt or subtleties here about the additional ingredient. Really, it reminds me of the scent I get when I stir a fruit-on-the-bottom black cherry yogurt. It's also about the only scent I can pick out - a light cherry soda impression.

The taste also does not leave the cherry in doubt. However, it isn't quite as sweet as I'd expected it to be. Unfortunately, I'm also not really getting anything beyond that. Carbonation tickle is nice up front, but fades by mid taste as the cherry flavor seems to fade to a blander version of itself. I was hoping for a little tartness to counter the opening sweetness (which isn't cloying or too sweet).

It's got a nice sweet cherry note up front, but it also is lacking something/anything beyond the opening cherry sweetness just fading. I actually liked the feel of the beer, and there is not even the slightest hint of its 8.5%. It does seem to drink a little like a cherry soda, even.

Best By 07/27/17

L-The beer pours a clear brown with reddish highlights. The modest pour leads to a one finger creme colored head which recedes to a thin film. Lacing is spotty.
S- The aroma of sweet cherries is prominant. Behind the cherries is a bit of toffee and barnyard mustiness.
T- Fruit flavor in the form of black cherries. It's a sweet cherry rather than the sour cherry which I sometimes find overwhelming. While the beer is sweet from the fruit and malts, I don't find it cloying. The beer is well balanced between sweet and sour.
F- Carbonation is light. Overall mouthfeel is medium. The beer coats and the fruitiness lingers for a good time.
O- This would make and amazing beer to pair with dessert. I could see enjoying it equally well with vanilla ice cream or a rich chocolate cake. Recommended to anyone looking for a good dessert beer.

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Dark ruby ​​color, clear. Foam beige-pink, tall, fine-bubble, durable, beautifully adorned walls.
Aroma: fruit, mainly cherries, vanilla, slightly woody notes.
Taste: vanilla sweetness and sourness of red fruit on the finish of each sip, a slight aftertaste of stone fruit, wood.
Gentian stones, saturation average, alcohol perfectly hidden.

3.94/5  rDev +7.4%

L: Dark ruby with a lttile foam head.
S: Smells raspberry, cherry.
T: Berries, sweetness with a little soar.
F: Very smooth, oily.
O: Too sweet but like it at all.

Petrus Aged Red pours a dark reddish/brown color with a small but long lasting lacing head. Big sweet and dry cherry aroma. Taste has a slight sourness to it, some oak, and a sweet cherry aftertaste. Complex flavors, but good feel and nice blend of all the various flavors. Overall, its slight sour, but mostly sweet, with a nice natural dry cherry flavors.

3.34/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2016-02-13
330ml bottle split at home with my wife. 42101 is the bottle date, whatever the hell that means. Thanks for make it noticeable, but maybe make it understandable?

Pours a dark ruby-brown with a medium head that seems to last longer than I would expect. Smell is sour cherry candy.

Taste is too sweet, too much like a cherry soda. Better than Mort Subite, but in that direction.

Mouthfeel is slightly gritty, fairly dry. Overall, it's not bad, but I won't buy this again.

3.66/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a mahogany red with a mere collar of head. Strong aroma of cherry... Very sweet cherry taste almost cloyingly cough medicine-ish finish. Medium bodied. Definitely a beer to enjoy with a meal.

Really thought I would like this based on how much I liked Petrus Aged Pale but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Not nearly as sour as I expected, much much sweeter than I expected, tastes very similar to cough medicine. Can't finish the bottle. Not that I consider myself incredibly experienced in the world of sour beer but this is the kind of flavor profile I'd expect from a Lindemans sweetened lambic.

3.59/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Upfront, straight black cherry syrup, very much candy fruit flavors. The beer is surrounded by toasted malt notes of the oud bruin. The tart quality is medium. Hints of red wine and oak come through.

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz, #41450. Pours a red-caramel color, with a small amount of head; when swirled, the head produces nice glass coverage. Strong aroma of cherry, with perhaps a bit of malt beneath. Light body, with very fruity flavors, and a slight sour bite on the finish.

The aroma is undoubtedly cherry, and although, cherry is not my favorite fruit, I admire how strong the aroma is. This does NOT taste like a beer, and depending on your perspective, that could be either good or bad; for me, it's somewhere in the middle: interesting. Neither the aroma nor the flavor of this Flanders red (my first) are what I look for in a beer, yet, it is a nice change, and this style adds another interesting facet to the gem that is Beer. I am sitting a couple and look forward to seeing how they age.

3.78/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours near brown with ruby red showing in the light. Small off white head and some lacing. Nose is very cherry, both sweet and sour cherry. Hard to get any malt or hops hidden behind. Taste certainly has those same cherries, some candied fruits, and just a touch of sour wine barrel. Quite liked this at first, but enjoyment actually fell as I went through the glass. Not as much depth as I thought would come out as it warmed. Ended up feeling it was just okay rather than special. Not sure if I would call this a sweeter Rodenbach or a drier Lindemans, but I'm not sure I'll get it again.

2.88/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Part of the Petrus Belgian Sour Power 6-Pack - $22.99 at Bullock's Wine & Spirits in Marietta, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a deep, dark reddish-brown body with a tallish cap of froth, khaki-hued but hinting a little bit of pink to it.

Smell: Sweet, tart black cherry presence layered in syrups.

Taste: A sweet taste of dark syrup, a light toasty note, a touch of faint chocolate. A large candied black cherry presence and a striking, somewhat cloying sweetness, leading me to wonder if it's been artificially sweetened. Starts to become reminiscent of those Luden's cough drops I recall from my childhood. Altogether minimal sourness. Remains tart and still rather sweet on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Lightly carbonated.

Overall: So-so and so-so sweet!

3.98/5  rDev +8.4%

no clue why it took me so long to try this one. i see it around in bottles quite a bit, but finally saw it on tap at asbury provisions on university last night. cool beer, maybe a little sweet for what i like in the style, but a well made product and plenty drinkable for its strength. its deep ruby colored, almost brown in the glass, with a nice inch of just off white lacy head on it. the nose is black cherry and mild vinegar lacto. the cherry is really strong in the flavor, i guess there are some cherries in this, but also a sweet specialty malt and a unique belgian yeast are at work, adding to this fruity complexion. there is a cool softness in the feel before the acidity turns on, and even when it does, there is plenty of cherry sweetness to balance it out. it makes the beer real easy down, and despite the sweet, there is a lightness to this for sure. quite a bit of depth with the fruit and the grain and the yeasts going on, but the fact that its aged means little in terms of flavor here. the beer tastes fresh to me, no wood or musk or oxidization here at all, not sure what they do with it then. overall a tasty beer, too sweet to have more than one, but a beer that i really enjoyed.

4.11/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Belgian goblet.

Smells like tart cherries and some herbal notes that remind me of late summer weeds after a rainstorm. Slightly "synthetic" smelling- this could just be acidic notes.

The flavor starts with a smack of sweet cherry, but immediately swaps the singular cherry flavor for a very interesting and unique herbal (almost bitter) quality, which then gives way to more cherry. The label says this is "strikingly intricate", which I don't fully agree with. However, it is more complex and unusual. I figured a brewery with this type of presence in the US would attempt something more mainstream, but this is classically Belgian in that it doesn't quite a category.

Conclusion: I am both surprised and impressed. Not a cherry lambic by any means, but not like any other cherry beer I have had. The Dissident by Deschutes is supposed to be a Flanders Oud Bruin (which I disagree with) but it is nothing like this, as it includes a whole array of barrel and funky notes which this does not have. Overall I like it quite a bit, and wonder if anything else would show up in a good way with some age. Probably the cherry would just fade...

2.82/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Smell is good but it also does smell like NyQuil. Taste is sort of like NyQuil. But there is noticeable tart. I don't know how I feel about this. This definitely ruined my taste buds for the night.

3.77/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Opens with a loud pop. Pours an effervescent crimson/chestnut with a pinky of sand colored head. Stays effervescent through out, average head retention, slightly better lacing

S: Dark fruittyness, some cherry. Cherry picks up as it warms

T: Faint tartness, plenty of sweet cherry up front, dryness too. More cherry as this warms, restrained sourness, some oakyness & vanilla too. Finishes with cherry, a little dryness & sourness

MF: Medium body, delicate carbonation, a slight enamel sucking quality comes through as this warms

This is a very gentle introduction to the style, drinks easy

4.15/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Yardhouse in Atlanta; revisited from a large shared bottle in January 2015.
Superb appearance with a large, pinkish, creamy head over a clear ruby. The feel is also excellent, with lively carbonation and a dry finish.
The aroma is dominated by cherries, as is the flavor. Mild wood flavor and a hint of raisins also appear.

3.96/5  rDev +7.9%

Had this on 2014-06-22 in Reno, NV from a 350 ml bottle.

A remarkable amount of cherry aroma. Lightly sour. Oak. Rich. A dessert beer without being overly sweet. .

3.32/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not a huge fan of this beer. Looks the part, nice red color. Smells like cherries. Pleasant. The taste is quite sub par to me. Almost like straight cherry juice. There is minimal sourness to this, and it has little carbonation. Sorry, but just not my thing.

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours very cloudy, burgundy in color with a nice finger of head. It receded quickly but can be reinvigorated with a few robust swirls of the glass.

An aroma strongly reminiscent of cherry cola, with not quite that level of sweetness in the flavor (thankfully). Tart notes are subdued, present but certainly not overwhelming. Very easy to drink, this is something to offer to people who say they don't drink beer because it's too "beery". It is mild by sour beer standards, which is another reason for people to give it a shot.

This was a sweet treat. It reminded me of a berry version of Grand Marnier. I think this is better in a size smaller than a pint simply because I wanted to sip and enjoy it for all its flavor. It was a hit for everyone at the table.

3.76/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The pour is a deeply dark garnet red. Smallish head of foam over achieves with the lacing.

The aromas of mostly sweet but some sour cherries is all I get smell wise but that's what this beer is all aboot.

The taste is closer to a 60-40 mix of sweet and sour. Hints of some oaky notes in the finish.

Nice mouthfeel and very drinkable for the one bottle.
I'm very happy that I bought the Petrus sour pack.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Here we go, unexplored territory: Doc’s first Flanders Oud Bruin (or in the parlance of English: Flanders Old Brown). Having fast become a fan of Flanders Red Ales, specifically Rodenbach Grand Cru, I’m looking forward to this Petrus Aged Red (or Foudre Rouge en Français) as I’m still crossing beer styles to try off my list [I think there’s only another 10-13 styles left that I haven’t had including obscure stuff such as: Faro, Braggot, Roggenbier, Gose and Kvass... W(here)TF do I get Kvass from in Canberra???]. Anyway that’s enough waffle, bring on the Petrus!

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Duvel Tulip.

A: An interesting deep hazy brown/ruby body, no doubt the ruby is a result of 10% of this brew comprising of cherries, there is also a pink-tinged tan coloured head that quickly dies down to a thin lace. One of the most interesting brews I’ve ever seen, quite outside the box, Doc likes outside the box. 9/10.

S: Cherries, real sour cherries dominate this damn fine aroma. This is one cherrystravaganza! Combined with this are notes of oak (woody/vanilla French oak), sourdough yeast and honey. Here’s hoping the taste is as good as the aroma. 9/10.

T: Woah! *Keanu Reeves voice* This is a big cherry slap in the face which starts out (almost) sickly sweet, then hits with slight tart character and finishes with a medicinal note that morphs into cherry cough syrup (not a fan of that part). Everything else takes a back seat as the cherry demands your attention, with those hints of oak, sourdough and honey lingering in the background. The question with Petrus Aged Red is: Too much? And the answer for me is ‘yes’ and ‘no’. I sorta really like it... then I don’t... my tongue is so confused right now. 8/10.

M: Medium bodied, a bit of cloying from the sugar content, with a light but dense carbonation. However I am wishing this would go down a bit easier. 7/10.

D: This is one beer that could benefit from less flavour intensity, especially in the finish with the cough syrup notes, and believe me - if you’ve been following my reviews you’ll know this - I very rarely say that a beer can “benefit from less flavour intensity”. You have been warned. Question now is: Did I end up deciding if I actually like Petrus Aged Red? Yes, I think I do... hmmm, I’ll try it ice cold next time. Some good cherry characters at play here though. 7/10.

Food match: Roast beef with a cherry jus, sautéed leeks and chard, and a cherry tart with whipped cream for dessert.

2.53/5  rDev -31.1%

Pours dark red with a large head.
Aromas of cherry and marzipan. Smells like cherry wine.
Flavours include more cherry, marzipan and a very slight acidity. Pretty cloyingly sweet.

3.9/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - dark red, short lasting one finger head, spotty lace.
S - plums, molasses
T - cherries, plums, molasses, tart, hint vinegar, lots of malt
M - light, fizzy, warming from alcohol
O - well priced sour, easy drinking for a palate used to intense sours. Nice.

Petrus Aged Red from De Brabandere