Petrus Aged Red - De Brabandere

Petrus Aged RedPetrus Aged Red

De Brabandere visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Sludgeman on 03-01-2013)
1.15/5  rDev -69.3%

Yeah, this wasn't good.
After reading all the positivity here, I had to toss up a review. So others like me are not misled.
Nose is sweet artificial cherry.
Taste is sweet artificial cherry. Nothing worse than getting a sour that you think is foing to be great and getting that sweetened lindemens taste. The artificial cherry is just way too much. I am getting sick from drinking this.

THIS IS NOT SOUR.

This is along the lines of an alcapop. Sweetened cherry flavored beer. While technically still an oud bruin... It is not what I consider a typical or traditional bruin. Extremely disappointing considering some of their other things.

Drain poured.

1.5/5  rDev -60%

Received a 25.4 fl oz (750 ml) bottle via the gift exchange at my Homebrewers Club Holiday party.

P - The pour is a beautiful ruby red. There was no head.

A - The aroma was over-the-top Cherry. It was so strong that it was initially difficult to pickup the sourness.

T - Two words: Cloyingly sweet. I suspect artificial cherry flavoring was used because cherry flavor dissipates over time and the sourness becomes the major flavor.

F - Medium to hi-medium body. Could use more carbonation. Syrupy coating on inside of mouth.

O - I would not purchase a bottle

1.6/5  rDev -57.3%

My god....
How can the same brewery who makes their Pale sour so good make this travesty of a beer?
I had one last night...I was expecting nothing but a good beer, man was I surprised.
It looked great, a nice rosy hue to it, good head, all in all a fine looking brew...but the joy stops there.
The aroma of cough syrup wafted up in to my nostrils. Alarmed, I quickly set the glass down, had some water, and tried again....Robotussin 100%...Ah...crap...
So I tried it anyways, but the nose did not lie. This was like drinking carbonated Robotussin...my god..simply one of the worst beers I've had.
It's funny though, because their aged pale is so good.
Do yourself a favor and get a Lindemens Goudenband (spelling?) instead of this mediciney beer.

1.75/5  rDev -53.3%

2.28/5  rDev -39.2%

A - I loved the deep red, ruby color of this beer. It is definitely unusual.

S- The aroma is a nose full of cherries, but even that doesn't prepare you for the taste.

T - The first sip is overwhelmingly sweet to the point of almost being overpowering. I did manage to get through an entire glass after sipping it for quite some time, but this beer is just way too sweet to be enjoyable, at least for me. I'd hoped it would mellow but the sweetness lasted until the last drop. Definitely almost a Luden's cough drop flavor to it.

M- It coats the tongue and leaves a slippery, sweet residue. Not pleasant at all.

2.34/5  rDev -37.6%

Consumed on draft over 10 minutes.

Pours a dense ruby red with a thin head of bubbles that linger only in a ring on the glass. The color is its greatest asset

Smells of the cherry that defines it, along with mild leathery notes and bright tart acids.

The taste is unfortunate, despite the tempting preview. It's much too sweet, and coupled with the texture, truly calls up a memory of Robitussin DM. There's some spice in the aftertaste, but it won't cut the medicine.

There's a bit of bright carbonation, but not sufficient to cut the cough syrup.

This creature is one-dimensional, and very short on the qualities that balance out a beer.

2.5/5  rDev -33.3%

I like Petrus in general. I really like their pale ale. I was hoping for a good Kriek like beer, but I was very disappointed by this one. The cherry flavor is just bad IMO. Its overly sweet with little sourness to balance it out. I tried to drink the bottle as I hate wasting beer, but I ended up drain pouring half the bottle. Its like Henry Weinhards cherry soda except worse. The cherry flavor in HW's soda is better IMO. It looks nice and smells good though.

Anyways if you like sweet, not sour fruit beers this is the one for you.

2.58/5  rDev -31.2%

Beer pours a wonderful ruby red brown color. Red highlights around the bottom make the beer really nice to behold. Off white and sticky head.

Aroma is of tart cherries, but it comes across as medicinal, sort of like cough syrup. Some malt aromas.

The taste is of cherries, but it is also very medicinal with a very nasty aftertaste. Almost too much to take.

Mouthfeel is okay.

Overall - not great. The aroma and taste are just unbearable. The medicinal taste and aroma really ruin the beautiful looking beer.

2.75/5  rDev -26.7%