Petrus Aged Red - De Brabandere

Petrus Aged RedPetrus Aged Red

De Brabandere visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Sludgeman on 03-01-2013)

3.4/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Very rich mahogany. Very nicely colored with a pinkish, one finger head with decent retention. Little bit of foam clings to the glass as it settles.

S - First scent is spring flowers followed by a sour smell. Lots of dark cherries and maybe a little alcohol. Not at all what I was expecting. Didn't realize until now that this is a flanders red.

T - Wow, a lot of flavor in that bad boy. Lots of cherries, almost like a lollipop. Not as boozy as I was expecting. Much more of a sipping ale. So much fruit flavor it really tastes like a Framboise. Not really what I'm into. I'm much more into bitter than sweet.

M - Very crisp and full bodied. Pretty refreshing for a hot summer's day. Plenty of carbonation to keep the brew tasting fresh to the bottom.

O - Very good ale that really highlights the cherry. I didn't even realize until now that there are cherries on the label. I'm a little dense sometimes. If you lean towards fruit beers or sours you should give this a try.

3.48/5  rDev -7.2%

Cherry, cherry, cherry! I don't usually like fruit beers, but I failed to notice the cherries on the label of this one. But when I opened it up and smelled it I said "Hey, what's this? Cherries!" It smells like a quart of bing cherries. A pretty nice smell if you like cherries.

It's a deep autumn red color. A very attractive look.

The mouth feel is very much like soda. Fizzy and sweet. But then there's the alcohol bite. It goes down pretty easy for a beer with 8.5% ABV.

Guess what? The taste is dominated by... Cherries! There was a hint of Belgian maltiness, but the cherry flavor was at the forefront. Although I generally avoid fruity beer, there was something about this that made it very enjoyable. Although many people complain that it isn't sour enough, it does have a sour bite to it. And that made drinking it akin to nomming down a handful of fresh cherries. This is the first fruit beer I've had that I'd buy again.

Overall, I give it 3.5 for the cherrific fun of drinking it, and the ample buzz provided by the alcohol content. But if you don't really, really like cherries, don't buy this. You'll be disappointed

3.73/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep plum color with faint ruby highlights and a handsome cap of pink-tinged foam. The aroma consists most prominently of sour cherry. The flavor has a puckering sourness up front, accompanied by a strong cherry flavor reminiscent of cough syrup. There is also a slight oaken flavor that appears to struggle some against the cherry backbone. I'm a fan of Petrus, and of sour ales in general, but not so much of cherry. In this case, the cherry flavor is so predominant that it overrides my affinity for the style. Cherry lovers will doubtless enjoy this brew, but it's a bit too one-dimensional for my tastes.

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

3.64/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Only two beers from these guys and I’m in love; seeing another on the shelves was just great.

A: Pouring a deep red, this is a dark beer with ruby hues and a fizzy tan head. Creamy, stout-like retention barely covers the body, but intricate strands of lace remain.

S: Massive cherry pie scents – fruit syrup filling, buttery crust, and caramelized sugar – along with a gummy candy aroma. Has something a little more sinister beneath, as an alcohol note comes out like cheap brandy and the candy morphs into something worse: the plastic, red licorice aroma of Swedish fish. Despite my hate for that damn candy, it’s a mostly pleasant nose.

T: Cherries jubilee, a taste of fruit brandy flambéed over ripe cherries – more liqueur than fruit, though. It’s astringent and alcoholic, with a cherry cough syrup taste and a sugary character of strawberry jam. Sweet Maraschino cherry tastes without much sour interference; isn’t this a Flanders ale? Finishes with a bitter almond and apple skin flavor, a bit dry.

M: Slick and smooth, with just a slight bubbly carbonation. It’s very thin for a high-alcohol Flanders.

O: Not even close to the beer that Petrus Aged Pale is, though I admire the ingenuity. I expected a sour beer, I didn’t get it, and now I’m left with cherry syrup in a glass…despite all that, I did enjoy this drink. Strange beer, for sure.

4.5/5  rDev +20%