2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Henry Weinhard's Hefeweizen - Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.

Henry Weinhard's HefeweizenHenry Weinhard's Hefeweizen

Calories/12 oz: 151
Carbohydrates (g): 12.9
% Alcohol by Vol: 4.86
Bitterness Units: 16.0

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-20-2001)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 55 | Reviews: 39 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by Rifrafboy:
Rifrafboy

2.75/5  rDev -10.7%

I am not well aquainted with the style. Pours a dark, dirty yellow with a nice head. Smell is sweet. Taste is thick and malty. You definitely get the wheat and yeast flavor. This is almost too sweet for my taste, but the overall experience is a good one.

03-24-2003 15:39:40 | More by Rifrafboy

Glopez

11-07-2012 00:37:12 | More by Glopez
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

Reinstating reviews from the Weinhard's and others purge. Pours out more of a copper color with lots of cloudiness, a little darker than what i want in a hopefully bright yellow hefe, with more white head, instead of off white. Seems like maybe they didn't use enough wheat. Aroma was pretty bland, thankfully it wasn't heavy on clove, but it didn't have all the usual precursors and aspects of a traditional hefe either, most notably, wheat.

Taste, bland, non offensive, mildly sweet. Not hoppy, still some bitterness and mineral aspects to it. Seems like they aimed for the kind of beer you could put a wedge of citrus fruit into. The wheat does come out a little more here than it did in the aforementioned aroma, or lack thereof.

Tastes more like a bland, small ratio pale wheat, maybe with some honey or splenda added to it.

10-16-2012 17:17:42 | More by Beerandraiderfan

02-28-2012 00:02:44 | More by mercatonero
MaltsOfGlory

Oregon

2.08/5  rDev -32.5%

So far the two worst Hefeweizens I have had were Widmers and Pyramids, however I'm sure this will make it's way onto that list, and perhaps even claim the title of worst I've had. Pours almost a two finger head into my wheat glass. The head actually fills the glass out very nicely and doesn't look that bad. Pretty fluffy and creamy looking actually, not bad at all. The lacing looks questionable, could go either way there. The retention isn't bad, I still have about a finger of head left, not too shabby. I could see sediment coming out of the bottle, and I had to swirl some out of the bottom of the bottle, so those are good signs. At first this beer didn't look very cloudy, but now that it has settled it looks pretty darn cloudy. Some pale yellow color to it, but mostly a darker orange color to it, like mango juice almost. Like I said the beer is extremely cloudy, zero visibility through the beer. The carbonation looks extremely high, which is to be expected from Henry Weinhards. Overall this beer looks better than I thought it would. We will see how the lacing goes, but heck, I even have a tiny bit of head left, it's not a bad looking beer either way. The smell on the other hand is....nowhere near as forgiving as the appearance. The first thing I notice is just your standard lager, cheap beer smell. That smell is somewhat mixed with the very small aroma of wheat, and perhaps a little lemon or orange. Pretty sour smelling, like most cheap beers are. Not really anything in the way of honey, which apparently this beer is brewed with. I mean on top of the fact that this beer doesn't smell very good, it hardly has any aroma anyways! I can barely smell anything, let alone the lame aromas I am smelling. Overall not a good smelling beer, possibly (probably) a worse smell than Pyramids Hef, and for sure a worse smell than Widmers. I'm deciding between a 2 and 2.5, but seeing as how I gave Pyramids Hef aroma a 2, and there is no way this is any better than that, it's a 2 too. Wow, that taste is even worse than I was expecting. I mean....WOW. Hefeweizen huh? Man oh man. Umm well where do I start, first off there is pretty much no flavor, just pretty much a completely flavorless, watery as all hell beer. If I have to dissect some flavor, the first I would say is there would be maybe cheap beer with a little lemon. I mean seriously guys this is a freaking tasteless beer. I mean there is some wheat in here, but it's probably the most un-wheaty, wheat beer I have ever had. No honey, no hops. Some light pale, cheap beer malts. I would say the most dominating flavor overall is just a carbonated watery taste. I really have nothing else to say here, I'm shocked at how flavorless this beer is. I think I'm going to give this a 2 for taste, but Christ, it could even get a 1.5. It's not terrible though, and it's not a adjunct lager, so 2. The mouthfeel is pretty god awful, the carbonation is very gross and worn out (possibly from me carrying the beer for a long distance), but either way, the mouthfeel is not good. Watery, only a TINY bit of wheat. It's not good any way you cut it. Not the worst mouthfeel ever, but for sure the worst for a Hef. Drinkability may be this beers only redeeming factor, I mean it's only 4.86% ABV, so it's not hard to drink. Plus it tastes like nothing, so do the math. Overall what more can I say, this beer isn't horrible, it's not like the worst adjunct lager I have ever had, but it's not a good beer, it's a bad beer. Not horrible, but for sure bad. I think I can also so pretty confidently that this is the worst Hef I have ever had. Overall, bad beer.

As you probably guessed, the appearance (other than the drinkability) was this beers only redeeming factor. The lacing turned out to be somewhat crappy, which wasn't a huge surprise, but I probably had more hope for it than I should have. I did get some lacing, but it was patchy AT BEST. I mean it was pretty non existent for the most part. The body was nice though, and so was the head, which actually lasted for a long time. I think a 3.5 is fair, considering everything was good accept for the lacing.

02-21-2012 10:10:42 | More by MaltsOfGlory

01-02-2012 05:04:09 | More by Huffaroma
lawlerj

Nebraska

3.3/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a twelve oz bottle into a mug.

A. Pours a fairly hazy orangey amber. I got a little crazy with the pour so I got a really big head but it dissipated fairly quickly. Not much in the way of lacing.

S. The standard hefeweizen yeast aroma is here. A touch of citrus and a bit of banana as well.

T. Pretty much follows the nose...Brady yeast and some fruity and banana notes. Nothing too complex here but it's decent.

M. Medium to light bodied with moderate carbonation. A bit light bodied for my taste.

O. Overall, a nice beer for the price. When I'm looking for a lot of decent beer at a decent price, Henry's is usually a good choice. There are some issues, but nothing too glaring.

12-28-2011 05:45:26 | More by lawlerj
phattman073

12-14-2011 15:26:24 | More by phattman073
lwillitz

3.33/5  rDev +8.1%

12-oz bottle poured into weizen glass

A - cloudy golden body (with a tinge of orange) under a couple fingers of thick white head

S - wheat and light malt; touch of citrus and maybe even some banana

T - wheat and malt dominate the palate; dry citrusy finish; not much to it

M - medium-bodied; high carbonation; creamy

O - a fairly average brew; high drinkability

07-02-2011 04:57:36 | More by lwillitz
ELN

3.2/5  rDev +3.9%

I've been sick w/ a sore throat and stuff so I was at Safeway 'cause it's the closest possible store near the post office. They had this for $5.99 which is regular price anywhere else. I wouldn't buy beer at Safeway 'cause they mark it up but this is on "sale". Drinking a six and listening to Brian Jonestown Massacre to make me feel more equal. i debated whether to get blue bore, hefeweizen or blonde while I walked around looking for Power Bars which I never did find. Settled on this. Better than lager. Didn't want any crap taste from a Pale ala AKA boar when I'm sick.

serving type: bottle
appearance: i drink from bottles always. i'm just not a glass guy. it takes more time and i'm just not a "connoisseur".
smell: 3
taste: hefeweizen, cloudy. for being weinhard it's not bad. i like supporting the local guy even if it is owned by a bigger company. i always dream that i'm drinking a beer that some guys 50 or 100 years ago drank.
mouthfeel: medium
drinkability: i really haven't had anything else than a blueberry bagel and a couple small slices of Trader Joes coffee cake and I'm doing fine now I'm on my fifth. Finishing this up and going back to bed after watching Storage Wars. Alright beer. It's local. I'm not gonna say it's high class. I like buying local beer and this is one of them. :)

02-10-2011 07:57:20 | More by ELN
mmmbeer

3.83/5  rDev +24.4%

12 oz. custom twist-off stubby with some inkjet code. This "honey brewed wheat ale" is brewed with caramel and roasted malts, and Pacific Northwest hops; 16 IBUs. It is an opaque dark amber, with lots of carbonation and an inch of off-white head that slowly recedes to nothing. Looks lifeless by the end of the glass. Mild aroma is lightly fruity with a hint of wheat. Tastes very nice, with a good dose of lightly tangy wheat, pleasant yeast, citrus?, a touch of sweetness and a pleasing hop note. Medium to light body, with good carbonation and a dry finish. This tasty brew is a nice example of the style and makes for an easy session ale. My only complaints are the lackluster appearance and underwhelming aroma, but I would definitely drink this again.

10-22-2010 13:33:20 | More by mmmbeer
philbertk

3.1/5  rDev +0.6%

Henry Weinhard's, Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Company, Full Sail Contract Brew--Hefeweizen--Honey Brewed Wheat Beer--2003 12 oz. Bottle. 5.00% ABV--15 IBU's? (4.0 / 5.0) Hefeweizen--Foamy mild lace head. Hazy rich amber orange color. Mild coriander wheat hop front. Smooth mild creamy dry honey sweet wheat ester NW malty body. Clean crisp mild citrus spice end. Mellow & tasty. Sampled 6/2/2004.

Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Company, Full Sail Contract Brew--Henry Weinhard's Hefeweizen Honey Brewed Wheat Beer--New Block Logo--2007 12 oz. Bottle. 4.86% ABV--16 IBU's. (4.25 / 5.0) Hefeweizen. 6-Pack $5.99. Rich foamy mild lacy head. Clear bright gold color hazes dark orange with rich sediment. Tangy coriander wheat ester mild hop front. Spicy honey wheat cloying yeast ester mild banana citrus body. Refreshing wheat spice tangy mild hop end. Malty Hefe. Sampled 7/24/2008.

Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Company--Full Sail Brewing Contract Brewer--Lat 44--Henry Weinhard's Hefeweizen--Wheat Beer Brewed With Honey--2010 12 oz. Bottle. 4.86% ABV. 16 IBU's. (3.5 / 5.0) Huge dense sediment pellicle. Foamy big white lacy head thins quickly. Very cloudy pretty bright orange gold color. Light aromatic banana citrus wheat ester front. Dry sweet thin Honey wheat refreshing body. Clean mild citrus hop spice hint weak end. Sampled 10/9/2010. 6-Pack purchased for $5.99 @ Fred Meyer--Ballard, Seattle WA USA 10/9/2010.

10-09-2010 22:35:29 | More by philbertk
ronniebruner

Arizona

4.1/5  rDev +33.1%

One of my favorite Hefeweizens around. This beer is also affordable and plentiful, but harder to find lately for some reason. If you havent tried this beer, you will be pleasantly surprised as beers in the price range tend to be a bit bitter. This is a very good beer for the buck. Definitely worth a try!

07-17-2010 03:18:20 | More by ronniebruner
Henry Weinhard's Hefeweizen from Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.