Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar Ale - Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.

Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar AleHenry Weinhard's Blue Boar Ale

Calories/12 oz: 144
Carbohydrates (g): 12.4
% Alcohol by Vol: 4.60
Bitterness Units: 14.0

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by MaltsOfGlory:
MaltsOfGlory

2.35/5  rDev -17.3%

Well I am substantially confused. I was under the influence that this was a pale ale for the longest time, now I see beer advocate is calling it a cream ale and the Henry Weinhards website is calling it an "Irish style ale". So I really have no idea what to expect other than it not being good, because that's what I remember from having it a long time ago. Anyways, pours a pretty standard one finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is, eh, ok. Somewhat soapy looking, but not too bad, it does have somewhat of a small creamy look to it. Head retention isn't as horrible as I thought it would be, but still not good by any means, the head is less than a half finger now. The lacing looks like it will actually be decent. As for the body,, I mean damn, it might be just the smallest shade darker than the Private Reserve, but it's pretty light any way you slice it. Pale yellow color, with a little bit of orange in it, pretty much looks like your average lager, with is funny because neither a cream ale, Irish ale, or pale ale should look like a lager. The carbonation is extremely high, absolutely through the roof. The beer isn't crystal clear, but it's damn close. The slightly darker body makes it not the clearest beer I've ever seen. Overall the appearance is, eh, whatever. The head actually wasn't that bad, and if the lacing turns out like it looks like it will, that wont be bad either. the body however is garbage. We will see how the lacing goes, but best hope for this beers appearance is not bad at best. On the nose, what a surprise - skunk. I have no idea why a borderline micro brewery would put a beer in green bottles, god let alone any brewery. I get skunk up front, then some very light, pale malts. I'm trying to detect the hops, but they are almost covered up by this buttery, plastic, watery, weird combination of smells. It does not smell good at all, I don't know what's going on with that butter smell either, it's like someone threw a blanket of plastic with margarine over the top of my beer and I was trying to smell through it. I mean initially the smell wasn't that bad, because it was just another skunky beer, but now...man this smells weird. I don't know if this beer deserves this punch in the guy, but it doesn't smell good at all - 1.5. The taste isn't nearly as bad as the smell was, but it's still not good by any means. There is no way this beer should be even close to classified as a cream ale, Irish ale, or pale ale, this is a lager. I mean...as for flavor, what do I get? Lets see, water to start things off, a little skunk, a tiny hint of pale malt, more water, not really anything in the way of hops. I mean the flavor isn't horrible, it's not the worst beer I've ever had, no way, but it just has almost no flavor. I mean this has even less flavor than the Private Reserve. I mean there is just nothing here at all. I gave the private reserve a 2.5 for taste, and I think things are all falling in place, because that beer was for sure better than this one, and this is going to be a 2 for taste. It's not a horrible taste, it's drinkable, that's why it's not getting below a 2, but really...I could give it a 1.5 and not think twice about it. I'm not going to do that though, 2 for taste. The carbonation actually isn't nearly as high as I thought it would be. It's there for sure, but the bubbles are very small, and subtle, and overall the carbonation just isn't that high, it's actually medium-small. I mean I really don't know what to grade this mouthfeel as, an Irish ale, a pale ale, a cream ale? I'll just grade it as mouthfeel I guess. It does actually have a slight creamy feel to it, and the carbonation is a nice level. The body isn't very big, but I don't mind that much. This may be generous, but I think it's accurate, 3.5. The drinkability is obviously through the freaking roof, at 4.6% it barely even tastes like alcohol. On top of that it hardly has any taste, it's like water, so it goes down like nothing. Overall on this beer...man it's confusing for me. If I knew what the style of this beer was supposed to be maybe I could clear my head, as it is - I don't. I actually started to really enjoy the creamy feel this beer was giving me. As for the taste though, nothing really changed there, and the smell was crap the whole way through. There are some parts I like about this beer, but overall it's not very good.

The appearance actually turned out to be kinda nice. The lacing was slightly patchy in some areas, but for the most part it was very thick. On top of that it followed me all the way down the glass which is very nice. This is a tough one because the body wasn't very nice at all, but the head wasn't bad at all and the lacing was very nice. I mean it's riiight in between a 3.5 and 4. Damn this is hard. I'll give it a 4 just because I have no idea what type of beer it is.

02-15-2012 11:27:28 | More by MaltsOfGlory

3.25/5  rDev +14.4%

05-01-2014 00:13:57 | More by Braz
Zorro

2.89/5  rDev +1.8%

Clear yellow colored beer with a small white colored head.

Smells sweet with a mild floral noble hop aroma. Mild caramel and some grassy scents.

Starts out mildly sweet. Cracker malt and mild hop bitterness, it is a little bland.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall just an average beer, not something I would seek out but I wouldn't refuse a free one.

03-09-2014 22:33:06 | More by Zorro

harrymel

1.94/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Bottled 14MAR13

Golden, light, light, yellow. Sheet of white atop and brillantly clarified. Smells like skunk, corn, grain and some bits of soil. Tastes like cheap beer, stronger than a Coors light, but less than say a Rolling Rock. Simple and grainy with little satisfying merits. Thin and moderately carbed with a wet finish that lingers longer than I'd prefer. Seems like a decent pairing with the shitty jack in the box I have beside me.

04-29-2013 05:13:20 | More by harrymel

CoryR

03-04-2013 02:29:08 | More by CoryR
twloco

1.03/5  rDev -63.7%

This was a fine refreshing beer, never great, but usually great for the price. Miller finally took over completely it seems, and killed it. It doesn't even taste similar. Looks like it's brewed in Milwaukee now--hence the standard brown longnecks and even the cardboard on the 12 pack is now that really thin stuff-- clearly a different plant. They also added Milwaukee, WI on the bottle. This stuff was really nasty-- even the smell, immediately it just smelled like cheap beer. Sad.

02-14-2013 23:41:01 | More by twloco

01-02-2013 18:46:12 | More by harpus
troobie

2.5/5  rDev -12%

01-02-2013 06:35:09 | More by troobie
Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar Ale from Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.