Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar Ale - Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.

Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar AleHenry Weinhard's Blue Boar Ale

Calories/12 oz: 144
Carbohydrates (g): 12.4
% Alcohol by Vol: 4.60
Bitterness Units: 14.0

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002)
Reviews by MaltsOfGlory:
2.35/5  rDev -17.5%

Well I am substantially confused. I was under the influence that this was a pale ale for the longest time, now I see beer advocate is calling it a cream ale and the Henry Weinhards website is calling it an "Irish style ale". So I really have no idea what to expect other than it not being good, because that's what I remember from having it a long time ago. Anyways, pours a pretty standard one finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is, eh, ok. Somewhat soapy looking, but not too bad, it does have somewhat of a small creamy look to it. Head retention isn't as horrible as I thought it would be, but still not good by any means, the head is less than a half finger now. The lacing looks like it will actually be decent. As for the body,, I mean damn, it might be just the smallest shade darker than the Private Reserve, but it's pretty light any way you slice it. Pale yellow color, with a little bit of orange in it, pretty much looks like your average lager, with is funny because neither a cream ale, Irish ale, or pale ale should look like a lager. The carbonation is extremely high, absolutely through the roof. The beer isn't crystal clear, but it's damn close. The slightly darker body makes it not the clearest beer I've ever seen. Overall the appearance is, eh, whatever. The head actually wasn't that bad, and if the lacing turns out like it looks like it will, that wont be bad either. the body however is garbage. We will see how the lacing goes, but best hope for this beers appearance is not bad at best. On the nose, what a surprise - skunk. I have no idea why a borderline micro brewery would put a beer in green bottles, god let alone any brewery. I get skunk up front, then some very light, pale malts. I'm trying to detect the hops, but they are almost covered up by this buttery, plastic, watery, weird combination of smells. It does not smell good at all, I don't know what's going on with that butter smell either, it's like someone threw a blanket of plastic with margarine over the top of my beer and I was trying to smell through it. I mean initially the smell wasn't that bad, because it was just another skunky beer, but now...man this smells weird. I don't know if this beer deserves this punch in the guy, but it doesn't smell good at all - 1.5. The taste isn't nearly as bad as the smell was, but it's still not good by any means. There is no way this beer should be even close to classified as a cream ale, Irish ale, or pale ale, this is a lager. I mean...as for flavor, what do I get? Lets see, water to start things off, a little skunk, a tiny hint of pale malt, more water, not really anything in the way of hops. I mean the flavor isn't horrible, it's not the worst beer I've ever had, no way, but it just has almost no flavor. I mean this has even less flavor than the Private Reserve. I mean there is just nothing here at all. I gave the private reserve a 2.5 for taste, and I think things are all falling in place, because that beer was for sure better than this one, and this is going to be a 2 for taste. It's not a horrible taste, it's drinkable, that's why it's not getting below a 2, but really...I could give it a 1.5 and not think twice about it. I'm not going to do that though, 2 for taste. The carbonation actually isn't nearly as high as I thought it would be. It's there for sure, but the bubbles are very small, and subtle, and overall the carbonation just isn't that high, it's actually medium-small. I mean I really don't know what to grade this mouthfeel as, an Irish ale, a pale ale, a cream ale? I'll just grade it as mouthfeel I guess. It does actually have a slight creamy feel to it, and the carbonation is a nice level. The body isn't very big, but I don't mind that much. This may be generous, but I think it's accurate, 3.5. The drinkability is obviously through the freaking roof, at 4.6% it barely even tastes like alcohol. On top of that it hardly has any taste, it's like water, so it goes down like nothing. Overall on this beer...man it's confusing for me. If I knew what the style of this beer was supposed to be maybe I could clear my head, as it is - I don't. I actually started to really enjoy the creamy feel this beer was giving me. As for the taste though, nothing really changed there, and the smell was crap the whole way through. There are some parts I like about this beer, but overall it's not very good.

The appearance actually turned out to be kinda nice. The lacing was slightly patchy in some areas, but for the most part it was very thick. On top of that it followed me all the way down the glass which is very nice. This is a tough one because the body wasn't very nice at all, but the head wasn't bad at all and the lacing was very nice. I mean it's riiight in between a 3.5 and 4. Damn this is hard. I'll give it a 4 just because I have no idea what type of beer it is.

MaltsOfGlory, Feb 15, 2012
2.58/5  rDev -9.5%

Appearance – Light yellow with a thin James Brown head.

Smell – This skunked up my kitchen pretty good. There’s some light grain and cheap sweetness to go along with it, but the funky animal aroma is a real turnoff. The label has a picture of a boar’s head on it. They ought to turn that thing around and show us his backside.

Taste – Very empty and light. It doesn’t taste as bad as it smells, but the fizzy grain flavor just doesn’t cut it. There’s a touch of hops that kind of evens things out a bit, but the corn syrup sweetness kills the finish.

Mouthfeel – The cheap carbonation was helped along by a rather pleasing dryness.

Drinkability – I bought this because it was on sale, but the dollar I saved wasn’t worth it.

RoyalT, Sep 21, 2003
2.75/5  rDev -3.5%

Kappakoosh, Dec 26, 2013
3.25/5  rDev +14%

It's not blue at all! It is kind of a boar though. If it was blue, then its appearance would be much more appealing. But this is a nice, somewhat citrus-tinged beer. I found that it goes great with a meal (Bison Burger & fries) and just has a pleasant taste overall. The downside here is that it has a low alcohol %, yet it is a little filling.

chadjulius, Sep 07, 2010

HoppySeb, Jun 07, 2014
2.73/5  rDev -4.2%

Man, what have I drank, 500 of these? Pours a clear straw pale, almost no head or lacing. Aroma is a big put off of alcohol and sweat.

Taste, I dunno, its probably sympathy or something, but this stuff just became an acquired taste during the adolescent years. Had it again recently, just have to admit its not that good. But you know, thanks for the memories. No hops or malt, just cheap beer w/o a slick ad campaign. A desireable alternative to BMC, this does have its own unique taste going for it, and yes, there is taste. Something a little fruity, never would I describe this as a cream ale.

Beerandraiderfan, Aug 13, 2010
2.45/5  rDev -14%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Gassy and very thin, somewhat metallic mouthfeel, leaves an unsettled feeling in my stomach...I never knew it was supposed to be a cream "ale" so now I know why my expectations were never met...the "Red Lager" and "Private Reserve" are not much better, they used to do a Porter which was at least mediocre...

ADR, Feb 26, 2002
2.5/5  rDev -12.3%

WaydeRafnel, Jul 30, 2012

Fuzzycuffs, Aug 23, 2014
2.83/5  rDev -0.7%

This looks really, really plain. The color is a light gold, the head is small, and there's no real lace.

The smell is almost that of a macro lager but slightly less offensive. The taste is a bit better than that. I'm picking up some traces of cheap grains up front, but the finish has a decent balance of hops. The mouthfeel is mild.

This stuff would be really easy to drink if the flavors were a bit better.

watermelonman, Sep 30, 2004
2.45/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a clear medium golden yellow colour, with two fingers of sudsy white head, which leaves an unstable sheet of lace around the glass as it slips away. It smells strongly of skunky, musty grain. The taste is sweet grain, mostly corn-like, and skunky, weedy hops. The carbonation is middling, the body on the light side, moderately smooth at best, and it finishes off-dry, the acrid hops taking (or adding) an edge off the sweet grain.

Pale ale, cream ale, adjunct lager? Too much nomenclature confusion over essentially a thinly disguised macro.

biboergosum, Aug 13, 2010

Never had a Weinhard before, though I have two more varieties in the garage ready to be reviewed. My first reaction upon opening the cap was "generic". I thought it was going to be like every other mass-produced brew.

Great hops smell but smooth drinkability. To read that the ABV was 4.6%, I will admit surprise. It drank rather well without being too watered down.

It resulted in a very average beer. Nothing jumped out at me to classify this as a unique experience. Lest that be construed as criticism, let me add this. It was worth the buck I paid for it.

teejay76, Mar 26, 2009
3.05/5  rDev +7%

Appearance - Pours a clear straw yellow with a fluffy white 2 finger head. Good retention. Resulting lace is thick and somewhat sticky.

Smell - Smells of grainy malt with grassy hops.

Taste - Follows the nose. Malts are semi-sweet and grainy, while the hops kick in with a somewhat bitter grass character. Hints at citrus, but doesn't quite get there. Simple, straight forward flavor from start to finish.

Mouthfeel - Light in body, with a bubbly carbonation. Finishes crisp and dry.

Overall - Hmm, I enjoyed this more on a hot day in July than I am tonight. Not a whole lot of interesting things going on with this beer.

TheSixthRing, Aug 14, 2012
4.73/5  rDev +66%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love blue boar, but lately the company is putting private reserve bottles with the blue boar label.. Not right.. Herny, what is wrong with you guys.. I have bought 5 12 packs recently with the brown bottles with the blue boar label.. It's not blue boar, it's private reserve.. Come on you guys..

Douglvsbeer, Aug 16, 2012

dertyd, Jan 28, 2013
2.63/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance: Yellow glow with small carbonation

Smell: Bit grassy with a whole lot of skunk notes

Head: Small white head

Taste: Clean and crisp has that grassiness to it

Weight: very light on the palate goes down fast

Finish: Little sweet grainy aftertaste then boom more skunk

Snow81, Mar 09, 2011

Kyroqz, Jan 12, 2013

JaredGolia, Aug 12, 2014
2.8/5  rDev -1.8%

Served in a glass.

A: Pours with a fizzy, white and medium head that dissipates rather quickly. Doesn't leave much in the lacing department. Color is pale gold.

S: Quite skunky, at first at least, other than that the usual adjuncts are all I can smell (grains such as corn or rice). Smell is totally underwhelming.

T: Very little bitterness. Flavors are the same as the smell with a bit of citrus but blended well. Ends with a bit of zing. It goes down easy. Not a lot of taste to speak of really.

M: Feels decent for a light-bodied beer. Carbonation is definitely present. Goes down smooth.

D: Drinkability is high from the perspective that it goes down easily, although I gave it an average rating because there isn't much in this beer to make one want another, unless one is unsatisfied with just one bottle/serving.

All in all, seems to fit the style well. This is the second time trying this beer and my memories of it are better than what I've experienced this time.
Overall decent for the style but not my 'cup of tea'.

echoes, Jan 12, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +22.8%

Tiki1336, Jun 04, 2012

The beer pours a clear light to medium amber color on the pour, the head appropriate, the texture frothy and a bright white color with the lace a satisfactory sheet upon the glass. Clean and crisp the sweet malt nose with a malt sweet start and the top a bit thin Finish is briskly acidic, the hops are spicy and pleasant, dry and long lasting aftertaste, drinkable but no where near Sierra Nevada as Pale’s go.

Gusler, Oct 06, 2003
3.05/5  rDev +7%

Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar

Appearance: golden straw, small-medium head, and some good lacing.

Smell: skunky grain and slight hop.

Taste: grain and biscuity malt.

Mouthfeel: medium-light and watery.

Overall:
This is an ok brew. The main thing that stands out the most is the biscuity malt flavor. It is fairly nice, but the rest of the brew is slightly lacking and not very flavorful.

megahurts4, Sep 08, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -12.3%

OregonMicrobrew, Feb 19, 2012
Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar Ale from Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.