Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar Ale - Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.

Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar AleHenry Weinhard's Blue Boar Ale

Calories/12 oz: 144
Carbohydrates (g): 12.4
% Alcohol by Vol: 4.60
Bitterness Units: 14.0

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002)
manonthemtn

I don't know what happened but this beer has changed recently,its not nearly as good as it used to be,it had a more hoppy taste to it before,now it tastes more like private reserve, and I
don't like the new bottle.the green bottle was classic blue boar and they switched to a brown longneck?I am going to have to switch.

08-26-2012 03:33:18 | More by manonthemtn
twloco

1.03/5  rDev -63.9%

This was a fine refreshing beer, never great, but usually great for the price. Miller finally took over completely it seems, and killed it. It doesn't even taste similar. Looks like it's brewed in Milwaukee now--hence the standard brown longnecks and even the cardboard on the 12 pack is now that really thin stuff-- clearly a different plant. They also added Milwaukee, WI on the bottle. This stuff was really nasty-- even the smell, immediately it just smelled like cheap beer. Sad.

02-14-2013 23:41:01 | More by twloco
Ferong

1.4/5  rDev -50.9%

What the heck have you done to your Blue Boar beer? I have never been much of a beer drinker but 2 years ago my daughter introduced me to your GREEN BOTTLE Blue Boar. I loved it right off the bat and have been buying it ever since. I tried 2 half cases of the BROWN BOTTLE Blue Boar and will never drink it again! And neither will my daughter. I don't like the heavy taste and I get extremely bloated off the first bottle or two. Have you changed the recipe to try a 'new and improved' version of this? YUK! The green bottle Blue Boar had such a light crisp sparkling taste to it. My daughter even tried a switch and bait taste test and picked out the brown bottle after sipping them both. We DON'T like it. Sad to say...I'll be trying others beers till I come across something similar to the original Blue Boar. I'm really going to miss you. Sincerely, Carla

10-01-2012 22:55:08 | More by Ferong
Nzinger

1.5/5  rDev -47.4%

11-19-2012 07:12:32 | More by Nzinger
unclederby

1.68/5  rDev -41.1%

I sampled this at work. Why bother with it really, unless your super-psyched about euro lagers. There is no pale ale in this PA... i don't even know if hops are utilized here, and it wouldn't surprise me if corn or some other adjunct IS. Tasted like a watered-down Heineken: and if that's your thing - then so be it.

Doesn't even pass as mediocre. Water is a better and healthier option.

09-03-2007 06:51:27 | More by unclederby
kmpitz2

Tennessee

1.73/5  rDev -39.3%

What a crappy beer. Not only was it bad, but it came in a green bottle which made it skunky on top of it all.

This beer poured a yellow color with little head that falls to nothing after pouring it. The nose was skunked. Awful nasty ass skunked beer. I let it sit for a while as well and it still was not good. The taste was pretty much not there. It was kind of like white noise for my tongue. The beer was moderate to thin. Eh. Another dumber from good old Henry. I don't know what this brewery is doing, but its not good. I have one more to try from there and I'm scared.

11-22-2004 04:10:21 | More by kmpitz2
ZAP

1.83/5  rDev -35.8%

Not a recommended beer here...big skunky smell immediately after opening the green bottle....They call it a pale ale...this site lists it as a cream ale which is more suitable...as a pale ale this would be 1's across the board as it has none of those characteristic...

Clear, golden color...looks like a lager....body is thin...bordering on watery....slick..taste is non-descript....some skunk...some graininess...

Bought it because it was on sale..I should have known better...

01-31-2004 20:24:16 | More by ZAP
jj311

1.83/5  rDev -35.8%

About all I can say is that this was a pretty plain beer.
The color is very light and dull. Smell is very faint. Taste is skunky, weak and watered down. Hops are barely noticeable. Not much enjoyment here. You could practically get the same with a cheap, generic adjunct lager and probably pay a little less.

I won't be buying this again.

06-24-2011 16:47:27 | More by jj311
harrymel

1.94/5  rDev -31.9%

Bottled 14MAR13

Golden, light, light, yellow. Sheet of white atop and brillantly clarified. Smells like skunk, corn, grain and some bits of soil. Tastes like cheap beer, stronger than a Coors light, but less than say a Rolling Rock. Simple and grainy with little satisfying merits. Thin and moderately carbed with a wet finish that lingers longer than I'd prefer. Seems like a decent pairing with the shitty jack in the box I have beside me.

04-29-2013 05:13:20 | More by harrymel
jdhilt

New Hampshire

1.98/5  rDev -30.5%

Pours a five finger frothy white head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Pale clear amber color. Light carbonation and light-medium bodied. Slight hoppy nose. Starts boring only hints of malt and hops, doesn't taste like any of the Irish ales I've had. Finish is clean due to lack malts and hops. Might be a good lawn mower beer. $1.50 for a 12oz bottle from Utah DABC Salt Lake City, Ut. Their site has the ABV at 4.6%.

09-13-2006 22:28:52 | More by jdhilt
jooj8

Slovenia

12-07-2012 22:15:50 | More by jooj8
RJLarse

Washington

I went to a friend’s house to watch a football game, and this was in the fridge. I poured it into a pint tumbler, and made a few notes during the commercials.

Pours a pale straw/yellow color, with one finger of while head that dissipates quickly to almost nothing.

The smell is sharp and stale. It smells a little of grain, yeast and malted vinegar. It’s an unusual smell.

The taste is slightly sweet, flat and a little like malted vinegar. It also tastes a bit stale, although I am sure there is nothing wrong with the beer or the packaging. It is an unusual taste.

Mouth feel is thin, sharp and strange.

This is a very difficult beer to describe. It’s drinkable, but has an odd taste. I’d say it’s worth a try, just to experience the smell and taste. I wouldn’t want to drink much of this, nor have it very often, but it is a definite change of pace.

01-23-2006 04:18:17 | More by RJLarse

12-10-2011 20:17:39 | More by AlaskanYoung
Wasatch

Utah

2.03/5  rDev -28.8%

Pours a nice clean/clear golden yellow color, nice carbonation, tiny fizzy white head, some nice sticky lacing follows. The nose is skunky with maybe some hops. The taste is slightly sweet, slight hops. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy this again. Also the bottle sez Pale Ale, but it is more of a cream ale, if that's what you want to call it.

02-21-2008 02:37:45 | More by Wasatch
Jordan

2.03/5  rDev -28.8%

Straw-yellow and clear appearance. Odd assortment of skunkiness, malts, and citrus and spice. I don't mind skunky beers like St. Pauli and Grolsch, but this is almost alien. Very thin body. Crisp with boring tones of plain barley malt and honey. Oh well... It gave me a buzz...

02-12-2002 21:46:33 | More by Jordan
IceEyes

2.13/5  rDev -25.3%

I used to drink beers like this all the time. Last night I bought a six pack on a whim and had a few. Was it always this bad? I couldn't believe what a lack of flavor this beer had. Surely it's not a pale ale like the label says. It tastes more like a cheap lager than anything. There was no real hop flavor to speak of, just a drab bitterness like chewing on a clot of wool. Years ago this was my favorite Henry's beer as I recall. Now I can't even remember a time when I actually wanted to drink a beer like this.

08-06-2007 23:25:18 | More by IceEyes
dnichols

2.33/5  rDev -18.2%

I sampled this brew at a poker night with my buddies. One of them brought a case of mixed Weinhard bottles for us to enjoy.

A: Thin yellow body with a slight white head and very thin lacing.

S: It had a grainy and grassy profile with a hint of yeasty white bread.

T: The flavors are thin and hard to hold on to. There were flashes of malty sweetness, corn grains, and grassy sharp hops.

M: It had a very thin and light body with a fizzy carbonation and a somewhat dry finish.

D: I missed the "cream" but did not find this terrible...just bland. It didn't have enough flavor or character to entice me to try it again.

12-02-2007 18:01:13 | More by dnichols
velosuds

2.35/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clear pint glass. Best by OCT0410. Better never opened.

A-Pours a very clear, nearly effervescent, pale golden color with virtually no head or lace.

S-Slightly grainy malt and corn. Bottle indicates it is a Pale Ale, but this is like ordinary adjunct lager.

T-Like fizzy yellow beer.

M-Harsh from too much carbonation. Almost feels like seltzer water.

D-No thank you. This is easily the worst beer I have had in years. The rest is going down the drain.

07-05-2010 23:14:43 | More by velosuds
MaltsOfGlory

2.35/5  rDev -17.5%

Well I am substantially confused. I was under the influence that this was a pale ale for the longest time, now I see beer advocate is calling it a cream ale and the Henry Weinhards website is calling it an "Irish style ale". So I really have no idea what to expect other than it not being good, because that's what I remember from having it a long time ago. Anyways, pours a pretty standard one finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is, eh, ok. Somewhat soapy looking, but not too bad, it does have somewhat of a small creamy look to it. Head retention isn't as horrible as I thought it would be, but still not good by any means, the head is less than a half finger now. The lacing looks like it will actually be decent. As for the body,, I mean damn, it might be just the smallest shade darker than the Private Reserve, but it's pretty light any way you slice it. Pale yellow color, with a little bit of orange in it, pretty much looks like your average lager, with is funny because neither a cream ale, Irish ale, or pale ale should look like a lager. The carbonation is extremely high, absolutely through the roof. The beer isn't crystal clear, but it's damn close. The slightly darker body makes it not the clearest beer I've ever seen. Overall the appearance is, eh, whatever. The head actually wasn't that bad, and if the lacing turns out like it looks like it will, that wont be bad either. the body however is garbage. We will see how the lacing goes, but best hope for this beers appearance is not bad at best. On the nose, what a surprise - skunk. I have no idea why a borderline micro brewery would put a beer in green bottles, god let alone any brewery. I get skunk up front, then some very light, pale malts. I'm trying to detect the hops, but they are almost covered up by this buttery, plastic, watery, weird combination of smells. It does not smell good at all, I don't know what's going on with that butter smell either, it's like someone threw a blanket of plastic with margarine over the top of my beer and I was trying to smell through it. I mean initially the smell wasn't that bad, because it was just another skunky beer, but now...man this smells weird. I don't know if this beer deserves this punch in the guy, but it doesn't smell good at all - 1.5. The taste isn't nearly as bad as the smell was, but it's still not good by any means. There is no way this beer should be even close to classified as a cream ale, Irish ale, or pale ale, this is a lager. I mean...as for flavor, what do I get? Lets see, water to start things off, a little skunk, a tiny hint of pale malt, more water, not really anything in the way of hops. I mean the flavor isn't horrible, it's not the worst beer I've ever had, no way, but it just has almost no flavor. I mean this has even less flavor than the Private Reserve. I mean there is just nothing here at all. I gave the private reserve a 2.5 for taste, and I think things are all falling in place, because that beer was for sure better than this one, and this is going to be a 2 for taste. It's not a horrible taste, it's drinkable, that's why it's not getting below a 2, but really...I could give it a 1.5 and not think twice about it. I'm not going to do that though, 2 for taste. The carbonation actually isn't nearly as high as I thought it would be. It's there for sure, but the bubbles are very small, and subtle, and overall the carbonation just isn't that high, it's actually medium-small. I mean I really don't know what to grade this mouthfeel as, an Irish ale, a pale ale, a cream ale? I'll just grade it as mouthfeel I guess. It does actually have a slight creamy feel to it, and the carbonation is a nice level. The body isn't very big, but I don't mind that much. This may be generous, but I think it's accurate, 3.5. The drinkability is obviously through the freaking roof, at 4.6% it barely even tastes like alcohol. On top of that it hardly has any taste, it's like water, so it goes down like nothing. Overall on this beer...man it's confusing for me. If I knew what the style of this beer was supposed to be maybe I could clear my head, as it is - I don't. I actually started to really enjoy the creamy feel this beer was giving me. As for the taste though, nothing really changed there, and the smell was crap the whole way through. There are some parts I like about this beer, but overall it's not very good.

The appearance actually turned out to be kinda nice. The lacing was slightly patchy in some areas, but for the most part it was very thick. On top of that it followed me all the way down the glass which is very nice. This is a tough one because the body wasn't very nice at all, but the head wasn't bad at all and the lacing was very nice. I mean it's riiight in between a 3.5 and 4. Damn this is hard. I'll give it a 4 just because I have no idea what type of beer it is.

02-15-2012 11:27:28 | More by MaltsOfGlory
timtwoface

British Columbia (Canada)

2.4/5  rDev -15.8%

Gotta say, this beer let me down. At first it tasted crisp (but weak) without much character I generally enjoy in a beer...but as I continued, I literally felt sick and began to become more and more turned off by it as I continued through the bottle. Definitely not one I would plan on buying again. I'm a huge fan of Henry's IPA, but the Blue Boar, not so much.

(However, a friend of mine loves this stuff, so to each their own.)

10-25-2011 02:56:31 | More by timtwoface
ADR

2.45/5  rDev -14%

Gassy and very thin, somewhat metallic mouthfeel, leaves an unsettled feeling in my stomach...I never knew it was supposed to be a cream "ale" so now I know why my expectations were never met...the "Red Lager" and "Private Reserve" are not much better, they used to do a Porter which was at least mediocre...

02-26-2002 13:58:18 | More by ADR
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

2.45/5  rDev -14%

This beer pours a clear medium golden yellow colour, with two fingers of sudsy white head, which leaves an unstable sheet of lace around the glass as it slips away. It smells strongly of skunky, musty grain. The taste is sweet grain, mostly corn-like, and skunky, weedy hops. The carbonation is middling, the body on the light side, moderately smooth at best, and it finishes off-dry, the acrid hops taking (or adding) an edge off the sweet grain.

Pale ale, cream ale, adjunct lager? Too much nomenclature confusion over essentially a thinly disguised macro.

08-12-2010 23:47:03 | More by biboergosum
feloniousmonk

2.45/5  rDev -14%

"There's a box over here labeled Blue Boar," said my sister. "Is that a beer?"
"I don't know, possibly," says I. "Aren't you the guy who should know," asks sis. I saw the Weinhardt name and realized it was my brother's purchase. "Sorry," says me,"it's a little too cheap for my attention."
Actually, I learned long ago that I the Weinhardt line isn't for me and I'd be hard-pressed to purchase it, but I forgot my own beer at Thanksgiving, so this is what I was stuck with...

"Pale" is the operative word, though "ale" is in objection.
Very clear, pale yellow color, faint, swiftly disappearing head...not looking like a pale ale in the least, nothing even remotely attractive.
Nose is very minor, no hops, a whiff of citrus, very spritzy.
On the tongue, and in the mouth, it's a far too fizzy affair, a bodiless offering that offering very little in texture, and throws up none of the hops you'd expect in even the weakest example of a "pale ale" as this bills itself. Faint mouthfeel, dull, dreadful finish. Actually, tastes more like a Rolling Rock...
This drinks down okay, but only if your standards are low. If you really want taste, this is not the way to go. As I said, not even near a decent ale...steer clear, unless you haven't got the dough for better beer, or just don't give a darn.

11-26-2004 01:45:35 | More by feloniousmonk
WaydeRafnel

2.5/5  rDev -12.3%

07-30-2012 01:57:25 | More by WaydeRafnel
Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar Ale from Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.