Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar Ale - Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.

Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar AleHenry Weinhard's Blue Boar Ale

Bitterness Units: 14.0

3.04/5  rDev +7%

1.5/5  rDev -47.2%

1.48/5  rDev -47.9%

What the heck have you done to your Blue Boar beer? I have never been much of a beer drinker but 2 years ago my daughter introduced me to your GREEN BOTTLE Blue Boar. I loved it right off the bat and have been buying it ever since. I tried 2 half cases of the BROWN BOTTLE Blue Boar and will never drink it again! And neither will my daughter. I don't like the heavy taste and I get extremely bloated off the first bottle or two. Have you changed the recipe to try a 'new and improved' version of this? YUK! The green bottle Blue Boar had such a light crisp sparkling taste to it. My daughter even tried a switch and bait taste test and picked out the brown bottle after sipping them both. We DON'T like it. Sad to say...I'll be trying others beers till I come across something similar to the original Blue Boar. I'm really going to miss you. Sincerely, Carla

I don't know what happened but this beer has changed recently,its not nearly as good as it used to be,it had a more hoppy taste to it before,now it tastes more like private reserve, and I
don't like the new bottle.the green bottle was classic blue boar and they switched to a brown longneck?I am going to have to switch.

2.55/5  rDev -10.2%

Green 12oz into standard pint.

A: half a finger of white head that fell to a sparse cap and thin thin ring. Very clear pale straw colored beer with lots of little bubbles. Looks pretty average I guess.

S: a slight hop character and pale malt on the nose. Not much else going on here.

T: malty with a but of hoppy musk to it. No bitterness. Finishes with a hint of sweetness. Almost dank, which is odd.

M: medium but finishes wet and leaves something to be desired.

O: sessionable, not that great but not bad.

3.53/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It's going to be hard to be completely objective here, as I was born in Portland and grew up in a nearby suburb, and Weinhard's holds a bit of historical pride but here I go...

Bottle is classic Weinhard's style. I'm sure it's changed since Blitz-Weinhard, but the logo and general style remains, along with the raised lettering on the bottle.

As long as they don't change the recipe, and keep using cascade hops, I'll be ok. ;)

Smell out of the bottle is pleasant.

Out of the bottle it's smooth, with a bit of fiz at the back of the throat as it goes down. Notes of corn.

In a glass it's a very clear yellow.

Smell out a glass is sweet. When drinking out of a glass, the hops becomes more noticeable.

Not a whole lot of strength in the lacing.

Fizzy and crisp.

I feel like this beer is meant for tap, not bottle.

Update: With about two inches left in the glass, lacing starts to stick on the sides of the glass.

4.7/5  rDev +65.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love blue boar, but lately the company is putting private reserve bottles with the blue boar label.. Not right.. Herny, what is wrong with you guys.. I have bought 5 12 packs recently with the brown bottles with the blue boar label.. It's not blue boar, it's private reserve.. Come on you guys..

3.06/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance - Pours a clear straw yellow with a fluffy white 2 finger head. Good retention. Resulting lace is thick and somewhat sticky.

Smell - Smells of grainy malt with grassy hops.

Taste - Follows the nose. Malts are semi-sweet and grainy, while the hops kick in with a somewhat bitter grass character. Hints at citrus, but doesn't quite get there. Simple, straight forward flavor from start to finish.

Mouthfeel - Light in body, with a bubbly carbonation. Finishes crisp and dry.

Overall - Hmm, I enjoyed this more on a hot day in July than I am tonight. Not a whole lot of interesting things going on with this beer.

3.25/5  rDev +14.4%

3.75/5  rDev +32%

2.35/5  rDev -17.3%

Well I am substantially confused. I was under the influence that this was a pale ale for the longest time, now I see beer advocate is calling it a cream ale and the Henry Weinhards website is calling it an "Irish style ale". So I really have no idea what to expect other than it not being good, because that's what I remember from having it a long time ago. Anyways, pours a pretty standard one finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is, eh, ok. Somewhat soapy looking, but not too bad, it does have somewhat of a small creamy look to it. Head retention isn't as horrible as I thought it would be, but still not good by any means, the head is less than a half finger now. The lacing looks like it will actually be decent. As for the body,, I mean damn, it might be just the smallest shade darker than the Private Reserve, but it's pretty light any way you slice it. Pale yellow color, with a little bit of orange in it, pretty much looks like your average lager, with is funny because neither a cream ale, Irish ale, or pale ale should look like a lager. The carbonation is extremely high, absolutely through the roof. The beer isn't crystal clear, but it's damn close. The slightly darker body makes it not the clearest beer I've ever seen. Overall the appearance is, eh, whatever. The head actually wasn't that bad, and if the lacing turns out like it looks like it will, that wont be bad either. the body however is garbage. We will see how the lacing goes, but best hope for this beers appearance is not bad at best. On the nose, what a surprise - skunk. I have no idea why a borderline micro brewery would put a beer in green bottles, god let alone any brewery. I get skunk up front, then some very light, pale malts. I'm trying to detect the hops, but they are almost covered up by this buttery, plastic, watery, weird combination of smells. It does not smell good at all, I don't know what's going on with that butter smell either, it's like someone threw a blanket of plastic with margarine over the top of my beer and I was trying to smell through it. I mean initially the smell wasn't that bad, because it was just another skunky beer, but now...man this smells weird. I don't know if this beer deserves this punch in the guy, but it doesn't smell good at all - 1.5. The taste isn't nearly as bad as the smell was, but it's still not good by any means. There is no way this beer should be even close to classified as a cream ale, Irish ale, or pale ale, this is a lager. I mean...as for flavor, what do I get? Lets see, water to start things off, a little skunk, a tiny hint of pale malt, more water, not really anything in the way of hops. I mean the flavor isn't horrible, it's not the worst beer I've ever had, no way, but it just has almost no flavor. I mean this has even less flavor than the Private Reserve. I mean there is just nothing here at all. I gave the private reserve a 2.5 for taste, and I think things are all falling in place, because that beer was for sure better than this one, and this is going to be a 2 for taste. It's not a horrible taste, it's drinkable, that's why it's not getting below a 2, but really...I could give it a 1.5 and not think twice about it. I'm not going to do that though, 2 for taste. The carbonation actually isn't nearly as high as I thought it would be. It's there for sure, but the bubbles are very small, and subtle, and overall the carbonation just isn't that high, it's actually medium-small. I mean I really don't know what to grade this mouthfeel as, an Irish ale, a pale ale, a cream ale? I'll just grade it as mouthfeel I guess. It does actually have a slight creamy feel to it, and the carbonation is a nice level. The body isn't very big, but I don't mind that much. This may be generous, but I think it's accurate, 3.5. The drinkability is obviously through the freaking roof, at 4.6% it barely even tastes like alcohol. On top of that it hardly has any taste, it's like water, so it goes down like nothing. Overall on this beer...man it's confusing for me. If I knew what the style of this beer was supposed to be maybe I could clear my head, as it is - I don't. I actually started to really enjoy the creamy feel this beer was giving me. As for the taste though, nothing really changed there, and the smell was crap the whole way through. There are some parts I like about this beer, but overall it's not very good.

The appearance actually turned out to be kinda nice. The lacing was slightly patchy in some areas, but for the most part it was very thick. On top of that it followed me all the way down the glass which is very nice. This is a tough one because the body wasn't very nice at all, but the head wasn't bad at all and the lacing was very nice. I mean it's riiight in between a 3.5 and 4. Damn this is hard. I'll give it a 4 just because I have no idea what type of beer it is.

Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar Ale from Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.