Henry Weinhard's Woodland Pass IPA - Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.

Henry Weinhard's Woodland Pass IPAHenry Weinhard's Woodland Pass IPA

Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co. visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: Reidrover on 03-05-2008)
3.75/5  rDev +22.1%

Cooper, Sep 03, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -18.6%

Trent, Sep 02, 2012

Kunstman, Aug 27, 2012

i had to rate this one low it was just too far outa style for an ipa if u ask me it was supposed to show case citra ,summitt,and 48 lattitude cascade which i believe is argentine or new zealand cascade but ye i could not taste even the slightest hop aroma or bitterness for that fact to me this tasted like a dryhopped lager i hate lagger no flavor to them nor was there in this beer i have to say color was pretty nice hue of golden red and it was carbed well i guess but i dont even think its bitter enough to be called a regular pale ale should be called a dryhopped lager like beer i cant imagine they used ale yeast when brewing this very kolsch like brew im bummed i wasnt able to taste the great blend of hops they claim to use maybe they could tripple the amount of hops and would have a descent ipa maybe closer to a english pale ale

justaholic, Aug 24, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +33.6%

On draft at The Good Life, Massapequa Park, NY.

Poured a medium copper hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured piney hops with a light soft caramel.

The taste consisted of an upfront piney and citric hop with a pleasant doughy round malt.

The mouthfeel was typical of the style.

Overall a very tasty and highly quaffable IPA. I think this beer suffers from the competition of the West Coast.

plaid75, Aug 22, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +14%

jik18, Aug 12, 2012

Catfishcrd, Aug 01, 2012
3.15/5  rDev +2.6%

My wife picked this up for me...bless her, she saw "IPA" and got it.

Not the best looking IPA in the world...a very light orange...short lived head that leaves no lacing at all.

Getting a slight whiff of sweet malt...maybe cinammon...and some grassy hops...quite buried, but there.

Taste is a bit of a letdown. Follows nose but with an odd aftertaste...almost sour. Quite carbonated and very easy to chug, but not sure if i really want to. This is not a beer I'd buy if I saw it again.

obrike, Jul 24, 2012
3.65/5  rDev +18.9%

Pours a dark golden, amber color. A good amount of carbonation with a sticky white head that laces down the glass all the way down the drink.
Smell is very nice. Definitely a stereotypical Oregon IPA. Hop dominated with smells of flower and orangey citrus.
Taste has a good balance to it. Subtle hop notes linger on the tongue with tastes of Oregon hops. Flowery and piney hops.
Mouthfeel is nice. A good thickness, but very smooth at the same time.
Drinkability is good because of a nice balance of tastes. Nothing crazy or special going on here. However, if you have a buddy who doesn't like craft beers or thinks IPAs are "skunky" get a 6 pack of this beer for them. A great IPA to convert the masses.

BDIMike, Jul 21, 2012
3.51/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a clear, brilliant golden orange with a white finger width head. Average retention leaves behind a thin, semi-sticky lacing.

Smell - Earthy, peppery tones. Floral hops.

Taste - Earthy, grainy malts upfront. A touch of peppery spice. Citrus hops kick in soon after and become the dominant force. Aftertaste is mild orange peel.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium body. Carbonation is a tad on the low side. Fairly smooth.

Overall - This IPA won't win any awards, but offers more than one should expect considering the price point. Similar to their Private Reserve, but with a more noticeable amount of citrus hop bitterness that holds well into the aftertaste.

TheSixthRing, Jun 11, 2012

allstar255, May 31, 2012

WritersBlock, Apr 25, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -8.8%

This IPA pours a warm golden yellow just shy of what I think a good IPA should look like. The head is fizzy and deflated, fading quickly to a thin skim of bubbles. Average start.

The nose isn't much better. It's a mix of grains and muted hops with a subtle hint of wet dog. Not a great scent and really not much of a discernible profile.

Taste is slightly better then the nose but just barely. The malts carry the weight of the flavor profile but there isn't much of a hop taste. Boo! The wet dog is there but not as apparent as in the noses. This is a not a great beer.

Mouthfeel is by far the best part and still far from my favorites. Finally the hops come through with a little, and I mean little pinch and bitterness. This is just an ok beer and one I would probably cook with but not look forward to drinking again.

jbphoto88, Mar 31, 2012
3.3/5  rDev +7.5%

(Shortened) I’m curious to see how Henry did with an IPA, hopefully it’s better than their other stuff. Pours about a one finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is somewhat soapy looking, mostly small bubbles, but some medium sized ones in here as well. The lacing looks like it might be decent, but I will have to wait until I get down the glass to know for sure. Head retention isn’t bad, I still have two fifths of the head left. The body is a dark orange color, with some amber and yellow in it. Frankly the color is what the color of an IPA should be, but it looks nothing like an IPA because it’s so damn see through. I have never seen an IPA that is this see through, I mean it might as well be a lager, shameful. On top of that the carbonation looks through the roof, especially for an IPA. I mean overall the beer doesn’t look bad, and if it was another style I would probably say it looks pretty good, but this is an IPA…and it’s just not cutting it for a top style of beer like an IPA. Now the smell is funny because it reminds me a lot of Full Sail. I know that Henry Weinhards is now partially owned, or partially brewed, or both – by Full Sail. I also know that this IPA is somewhat knew, so did they just slap a different label on the same beer? One can only wonder. Anyways, it smells an awful lot like Full Sails beers, and in particular Full Sails IPA. Now the first thing this means is that it for sure smells better than any other Henry Weinhards beer I have had to date. It also means that it should be graded very closely to the way I graded Full Sails IPA. I think 2.5 is a little bit low for the aroma on this beer (that’s what I gave Full Sail’s IPA), I’m not saying this beer smells better than the Full Sail, but beer preferences and palates change day to day, week to week, month to month, etc, etc, for any number of reasons. So perhaps I graded the Full Sail a little low, or maybe I’m just in a different mood today. Either way I think I’m going to give this beer a 3 for aroma, and crap I haven’t told you a thing about the smell, so I’ll explain why I’m giving it that grade. The first thing I notice is that distinct Full sail smell. Then I get a nice sweet malt note, very light on the nose, perhaps a darker malt than used in most IPA’s though, it almost reminds me of the way they hop and malt Sam Adams Boston Lager. The hops are there and are nice, they are for sure not nearly enough for an IPA, which is why it’s only getting a 3, but it’s a nice smell none the less. Somewhat spicy perhaps, not really citrucy, piny or floral. Overall a very small smell and that is a big reason why it’s only getting a 3, but it’s still a nice smell, and a nice balance. Well the taste is ok, pretty much what I expected, but hey at least it’s not less than what I expected. You get that IPA hop taste, they for sure used the right hops, I can at least say that. However, the level of hops is just way low, for sure more of an pale ale level of bitterness. The malts are sweeter than in most IPA’s, and they have more of a caramel taste to it, leaving me to believe it’s a somewhat different hop than most breweries use. I commend them for uniqueness, but that doesn’t make up for skimping out on hops. Pretty sweet beer overall. Really it’s a nicely balanced beer, it has a nice hop taste and an equally nice malt taste, and the malt taste is unique for IPA’s. Maybe a little spice in here too. Like I said on the smell no floral, citrus or pine. I mean…my only real problem with this beer is that it’s not the right taste for the style, other than that it’s a nice sessionable beer. I’m going to give it a 3.5, but let it be known that I am being pretty generous because this would probably be a 3.5 even if it was labeled as a pale ale. The mouthfeel is very lively, nice hoppy feel in the mouth, as well as a nice carbonated feel. The carbonation isn’t as high as I thought it would be. It’s more of a subtle, small bubbled carbonation. Still, it is very lively. I really don’t know what level of carbonation I would say this is at because it’s pretty unique and weird, it’s lively, but small bubbles, and it’s carbonated, but not over carbonated. I’ll just say medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is slightly light for an IPA, but for Henry it’s not that bad. Overall it’s really not a bad mouthfeel, could use a slightly thicker body, and a less confusing carbonation, but not bad overall. The drinkability is VERY nice for this beer, maybe it’s best attribute. It’s not a heavy beer, the mouthfeel is unfortunately smaller than I would like, but that makes it a light beer to drink. On top of that it’s a low ABV, and it’s tasty. Like I said previously, it’s a nice session beer, verrry good drinkability. Overall this beer isn’t bad at all, not amazing, and for sure not a very good IPA. However, it’s a decent beer overall, and I haven’t had a decent beer in a while (since I haven’t been drinking anything but Henry)

MaltsOfGlory, Feb 25, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -18.6%

edwardkersh, Jan 30, 2012

TrojanWheels, Jan 19, 2012
2.83/5  rDev -7.8%

A- Golden-copper color, light head, pretty clear. Minimal lacing.
S- Smell is pine, and a bit of sweet malt. Mild aroma for the style.
T- It has a kick of bitterness, but there is not much flavor that accompanies it. Light pine and citrus, with just a touch of pale malt, but it seems to be just a vehicle for bitterness.
M- Light body, high carb, bitter finish.
O- I like the bitter kick that many IPA's provide, but there has to be flavor that comes with. That's not the case here. Simply a bitter beer.

jsprain1, Jan 13, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +27%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light copper color with a 1/2 inch white head. Carbonation is visible. Head recedes to a splotchy film across my glass and leaves stringy lacing. The smell blew me away, it is sweet, grassy and floral. I almost feel that it could be described as smelling like an Oregon forest. The taste starts with a slight sweetness then I get a tangy citrus. Body is a little on the thin side but it has nice carbonation. Overall, this would be a great beer for a summer day when you don't want a full bodied IPA, but don't want to sacrifice the hops. My expectations were not high for this beer, but it really surprised me. This is really not meant to compete with inversion IPA, or Laurelwood workhorse, but I think it fits a niche of hoppy lawnmower beer.

gkunkle, Jan 04, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +14%

Huffaroma, Jan 02, 2012
3.1/5  rDev +1%

pours a 1/8" initially weak head, slippery slightly coated lacing. pours an apple cider color into a solid amber body with copper tint.

hella hoppy, piney, floral. slightest touch of citrus makes it light and pleasant on the nose.

hoppy with a tongue punch that definitely stays around. sort of sour.

metallic, robust on-bringing, hops linger on the palette for a while. wet-turned-to-dry finish.

not a bad IPA, especially at 5.50 a 6 pack (tax included).

**Date on bottle: Jan 16 12

thatruth, Dec 09, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +19.9%

Appearance has a clear mid amber color with a steady head and clingy lace. Smell has a sweet malty nose and mild citrus hops. Taste of grainy sweet malt, mild piney a little grapefruit, a fairly good balance. Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation. Personally I'm not much into Henry's and it's nothing complex, but this is actually a pretty good brew.

Bookseeb, Nov 26, 2011

Rochefort10nh, Nov 21, 2011

I really like this beer. It's cost at $6.99/six is great, and while it's hardly a stellar IPA, I think that is what makes it so appealing. It's a milder IPA but definitely has that hoppy character that I love, but it's also smooth and you could drink a couple of these in succession without feeling put-off.

It's nothing to write home about but it's definitely a great standard, regular beer that I will continue to buy stateside and sneak back up into Canada on a regular basis. Gotta love these Northwestern brews!

timtwoface, Oct 25, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -8.8%

Appearance:
Golden-amber color, clear. Some bubbles. Thin head.

Aroma:
Very light aroma. I smell some sweet malts and citrus hops.

Taste:
Malty up front along with bitter hops at the end. Hop character is very mild for an IPA, but I'm getting a little citrus and grassy. Fairly nice malt character, caramel-toffee like.
Body is light-medium, yet it's pretty crisp. Medium carbonation.

Finish:
Dry-bitter finish that lingers.

Overall:
Very mild for an IPA, but the aftertaste is off putting.

mjurney, Oct 23, 2011
3.3/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12-oz bottle into Samuel Smith "Tulip" pint glass

A - transparent golden amber under 2 fingers of white head; mid to high carbonation

S - citrus and spice; unimpressive

T - grass, spice, and citrus; also a malt presence; dry/bitter finish

M - medium body; above average carbonation; fairly chewy

O - a mediocre ipa

lwillitz, Aug 11, 2011
Henry Weinhard's Woodland Pass IPA from Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.