Henry Weinhard's Woodland Pass IPA - Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.

Henry Weinhard's Woodland Pass IPAHenry Weinhard's Woodland Pass IPA

Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co. visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: Reidrover on 03-05-2008)

2.8/5  rDev -8.8%

This IPA pours a warm golden yellow just shy of what I think a good IPA should look like. The head is fizzy and deflated, fading quickly to a thin skim of bubbles. Average start.

The nose isn't much better. It's a mix of grains and muted hops with a subtle hint of wet dog. Not a great scent and really not much of a discernible profile.

Taste is slightly better then the nose but just barely. The malts carry the weight of the flavor profile but there isn't much of a hop taste. Boo! The wet dog is there but not as apparent as in the noses. This is a not a great beer.

Mouthfeel is by far the best part and still far from my favorites. Finally the hops come through with a little, and I mean little pinch and bitterness. This is just an ok beer and one I would probably cook with but not look forward to drinking again.

3.3/5  rDev +7.5%

(Shortened) I’m curious to see how Henry did with an IPA, hopefully it’s better than their other stuff. Pours about a one finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is somewhat soapy looking, mostly small bubbles, but some medium sized ones in here as well. The lacing looks like it might be decent, but I will have to wait until I get down the glass to know for sure. Head retention isn’t bad, I still have two fifths of the head left. The body is a dark orange color, with some amber and yellow in it. Frankly the color is what the color of an IPA should be, but it looks nothing like an IPA because it’s so damn see through. I have never seen an IPA that is this see through, I mean it might as well be a lager, shameful. On top of that the carbonation looks through the roof, especially for an IPA. I mean overall the beer doesn’t look bad, and if it was another style I would probably say it looks pretty good, but this is an IPA…and it’s just not cutting it for a top style of beer like an IPA. Now the smell is funny because it reminds me a lot of Full Sail. I know that Henry Weinhards is now partially owned, or partially brewed, or both – by Full Sail. I also know that this IPA is somewhat knew, so did they just slap a different label on the same beer? One can only wonder. Anyways, it smells an awful lot like Full Sails beers, and in particular Full Sails IPA. Now the first thing this means is that it for sure smells better than any other Henry Weinhards beer I have had to date. It also means that it should be graded very closely to the way I graded Full Sails IPA. I think 2.5 is a little bit low for the aroma on this beer (that’s what I gave Full Sail’s IPA), I’m not saying this beer smells better than the Full Sail, but beer preferences and palates change day to day, week to week, month to month, etc, etc, for any number of reasons. So perhaps I graded the Full Sail a little low, or maybe I’m just in a different mood today. Either way I think I’m going to give this beer a 3 for aroma, and crap I haven’t told you a thing about the smell, so I’ll explain why I’m giving it that grade. The first thing I notice is that distinct Full sail smell. Then I get a nice sweet malt note, very light on the nose, perhaps a darker malt than used in most IPA’s though, it almost reminds me of the way they hop and malt Sam Adams Boston Lager. The hops are there and are nice, they are for sure not nearly enough for an IPA, which is why it’s only getting a 3, but it’s a nice smell none the less. Somewhat spicy perhaps, not really citrucy, piny or floral. Overall a very small smell and that is a big reason why it’s only getting a 3, but it’s still a nice smell, and a nice balance. Well the taste is ok, pretty much what I expected, but hey at least it’s not less than what I expected. You get that IPA hop taste, they for sure used the right hops, I can at least say that. However, the level of hops is just way low, for sure more of an pale ale level of bitterness. The malts are sweeter than in most IPA’s, and they have more of a caramel taste to it, leaving me to believe it’s a somewhat different hop than most breweries use. I commend them for uniqueness, but that doesn’t make up for skimping out on hops. Pretty sweet beer overall. Really it’s a nicely balanced beer, it has a nice hop taste and an equally nice malt taste, and the malt taste is unique for IPA’s. Maybe a little spice in here too. Like I said on the smell no floral, citrus or pine. I mean…my only real problem with this beer is that it’s not the right taste for the style, other than that it’s a nice sessionable beer. I’m going to give it a 3.5, but let it be known that I am being pretty generous because this would probably be a 3.5 even if it was labeled as a pale ale. The mouthfeel is very lively, nice hoppy feel in the mouth, as well as a nice carbonated feel. The carbonation isn’t as high as I thought it would be. It’s more of a subtle, small bubbled carbonation. Still, it is very lively. I really don’t know what level of carbonation I would say this is at because it’s pretty unique and weird, it’s lively, but small bubbles, and it’s carbonated, but not over carbonated. I’ll just say medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is slightly light for an IPA, but for Henry it’s not that bad. Overall it’s really not a bad mouthfeel, could use a slightly thicker body, and a less confusing carbonation, but not bad overall. The drinkability is VERY nice for this beer, maybe it’s best attribute. It’s not a heavy beer, the mouthfeel is unfortunately smaller than I would like, but that makes it a light beer to drink. On top of that it’s a low ABV, and it’s tasty. Like I said previously, it’s a nice session beer, verrry good drinkability. Overall this beer isn’t bad at all, not amazing, and for sure not a very good IPA. However, it’s a decent beer overall, and I haven’t had a decent beer in a while (since I haven’t been drinking anything but Henry)

2.5/5  rDev -18.6%

2.83/5  rDev -7.8%

A- Golden-copper color, light head, pretty clear. Minimal lacing.
S- Smell is pine, and a bit of sweet malt. Mild aroma for the style.
T- It has a kick of bitterness, but there is not much flavor that accompanies it. Light pine and citrus, with just a touch of pale malt, but it seems to be just a vehicle for bitterness.
M- Light body, high carb, bitter finish.
O- I like the bitter kick that many IPA's provide, but there has to be flavor that comes with. That's not the case here. Simply a bitter beer.

3.9/5  rDev +27%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light copper color with a 1/2 inch white head. Carbonation is visible. Head recedes to a splotchy film across my glass and leaves stringy lacing. The smell blew me away, it is sweet, grassy and floral. I almost feel that it could be described as smelling like an Oregon forest. The taste starts with a slight sweetness then I get a tangy citrus. Body is a little on the thin side but it has nice carbonation. Overall, this would be a great beer for a summer day when you don't want a full bodied IPA, but don't want to sacrifice the hops. My expectations were not high for this beer, but it really surprised me. This is really not meant to compete with inversion IPA, or Laurelwood workhorse, but I think it fits a niche of hoppy lawnmower beer.

3.5/5  rDev +14%

3.1/5  rDev +1%

pours a 1/8" initially weak head, slippery slightly coated lacing. pours an apple cider color into a solid amber body with copper tint.

hella hoppy, piney, floral. slightest touch of citrus makes it light and pleasant on the nose.

hoppy with a tongue punch that definitely stays around. sort of sour.

metallic, robust on-bringing, hops linger on the palette for a while. wet-turned-to-dry finish.

not a bad IPA, especially at 5.50 a 6 pack (tax included).

**Date on bottle: Jan 16 12

3.68/5  rDev +19.9%

Appearance has a clear mid amber color with a steady head and clingy lace. Smell has a sweet malty nose and mild citrus hops. Taste of grainy sweet malt, mild piney a little grapefruit, a fairly good balance. Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation. Personally I'm not much into Henry's and it's nothing complex, but this is actually a pretty good brew.

I really like this beer. It's cost at $6.99/six is great, and while it's hardly a stellar IPA, I think that is what makes it so appealing. It's a milder IPA but definitely has that hoppy character that I love, but it's also smooth and you could drink a couple of these in succession without feeling put-off.

It's nothing to write home about but it's definitely a great standard, regular beer that I will continue to buy stateside and sneak back up into Canada on a regular basis. Gotta love these Northwestern brews!

2.8/5  rDev -8.8%

Appearance:
Golden-amber color, clear. Some bubbles. Thin head.

Aroma:
Very light aroma. I smell some sweet malts and citrus hops.

Taste:
Malty up front along with bitter hops at the end. Hop character is very mild for an IPA, but I'm getting a little citrus and grassy. Fairly nice malt character, caramel-toffee like.
Body is light-medium, yet it's pretty crisp. Medium carbonation.

Finish:
Dry-bitter finish that lingers.

Overall:
Very mild for an IPA, but the aftertaste is off putting.

3.3/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12-oz bottle into Samuel Smith "Tulip" pint glass

A - transparent golden amber under 2 fingers of white head; mid to high carbonation

S - citrus and spice; unimpressive

T - grass, spice, and citrus; also a malt presence; dry/bitter finish

M - medium body; above average carbonation; fairly chewy

O - a mediocre ipa

3.1/5  rDev +1%

Poured into straight pint glass. Poured a very clear, clean light gold/yellow color with just a thin ring of white head that had low retention and light lacing.

The aroma was was a relatively mild blend of floral, pine and citrus hop notes with just a bit of malt sweetness in the background. The flavors were the same, a very mellow, subdued example of the style.

The body was a bit on the thin side of average for the style. Drinkability was was good, you can kill a sixer of these easily on a summers day. Overall, not the greatest IPA anyone has ever had, but a solid beer. At $6-7 a sixer around here this is a good pickup when you're on a budget. Worth trying.

3.45/5  rDev +12.4%

Served in a glass.

A: Pours with a thick, white, half finger-length head which sticks around stubbornly and leaves noticeable lacing. Beer is gold in color. Little bit of carbonation visible even after a while.

S: Thick on the malts & spicy hops with a citrus background. The alcohol itself can be smelled. Perhaps a bit bread-like of a scent also..

T: Grassy, spicy hops along with a strong caramel malt. Citrus is present. Spicy finish as well. Bitterness is fairly high but not out of character for an IPA.

M: Sort of syrupy. I'd say a moderate body. Pretty satisfying.

O: The bitterness (even for an IPA) was initially off-putting to me. Once I got used to it, it was easier to appreciate its other qualities. The spicy hops notes go well together with the citrus notes.
Not the best IPA I've had but it is drinkable. A nice IPA I'd say.

2.25/5  rDev -26.7%

I'm not pouring this. I'm drinking this straight from the bottle. How many other Henry drinkers are going to bother pouring their beers? NONE! Henry drinkers get the product because it is lower priced than all the microbrews and slightly tastier than the macrobrews. It's that step between, but isn't quite right. This is not an IPA at all. I'm not tasting hops, I'm not sure what I'm tasting but it's kinda bitter and chemically... It's like I'm drinking High Fructose Hops Syrup... It's easy enough to drink though and feels okay on the mouth, but is clearly not something I would choose to repeat drinking. If you're going to bother getting a cheap IPA, somehow the Pyramid Thunderhead IPA comes a lot closer, and I really don't like Pyramid. Chalk this beer up to pretty much useless. It's going to give people a bad impression of what an IPA is supposed to be. GOOD JOB HENRY! KEEP UP THE BAD WORK!

2.45/5  rDev -20.2%

A:Nice clear golden color. Lace on the glass ran away relatively fast. Great looking head at first that dissipated faster than expected.
S:Light in smell with almost absent hop aroma, but a lingering citric essence.
T:Malty on the front of the taste with a gradual tartness toward the finish. Too light on the hops. Almost a slight phenolic aftertaste.
M:Gentle mouth feel that rolls across the tongue, nothing special.

Overview: Not a bad beer at $9.99 12pk. Very run of the mill mild IPA almost borderline Pale Ale. Not a very smooth drinkable beer, I could drink about two and no more. Part of what I taste is a slight phenolic finish, which almost makes you try to scrape the taste off your tongue with your teeth. Perfect beer to take to family gathering where there's not great appreciation for fine beers. An alright step up from Bud, Coors, Miller, etc.

2.93/5  rDev -4.6%

Weinhards has always been a "tweener" brand for me. They bridge the gap between industrial AALs and craft beer.
This beer is no exception. It's got a nice appearance, it looks like an IPA.
Nice fragrant smell, but faint. More yeast than hops if I'm smelling things right.
The flavor is sort of a let down... presented as an IPA. If it was presented as a pale ale then my expectations would be more easily met.
If this beer has anything about it that is slightly "over the top"...it's a little bit boozy.
This is a decent beer at a low price, but it takes a back seat to just about every other IPA I've ever had.

2.58/5  rDev -16%

Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Company--Henry Weinhard’s India Pale Ale Premium Ale--2008 12 oz. Bottle. 6.00% ABV--45 IBU’s. (4.0 / 5.0) IPA--Foamy lacy white head. Clear bright fizzy pretty gold color. Delicate floral Cascade hop front. Mild sweet clean crisp light caramel body. Easy smooth refreshing balanced mild hop spice end. Tasty well made mild IPA. Aged well. Sampled 7/30/2009. 6-Pack $5.99.

Blitz Weinhard Brewing Company--Full Sail Brewing Contract Brew--Henry Weinhard's India Pale Ale--Pacific Northwest Ale--2011 12 oz. Bottle. 6.00% ABV. 43 IBU's. (2.75 / 5.0) Thin lacy white head. Clear bright thin copper gold color. Light Cascade hop front. Thin textured crisp clean dry sweet light toasted caramel mildy crusty earthy hop resin hint body. Dry clean light crisp bitter hint end. Balanced clean very mild intro IPA. No off notes. Sampled 4/21/2011. Purchased 6-Pack for $5.99 at Fred Meyer--Ballard, Seattle on 4/21/2011.

3.58/5  rDev +16.6%

I used to buy this beer by the case 4 years ago. In North Washington it was sold at the same price as the other Henry's lineup which had a price point close to Coors, Budweiser, etc.. But Henry's is no slouch when it comes to good mid-level beers. And I found this IPA to best some lesser and more expensive IPAs that cost twice as much. This is not a show-stopper IPA that you pour into your favorite glass. This is a bulk-buying IPA that you take camping, fishing, or tail gating.

If you crave bigger hop taste at a Bud price I highly recommend.

2.48/5  rDev -19.2%

12oz bottle with best buy date 7/18/11 poured into Mac & Jack's pint glass, reviewed on 4/15/11

A: Pours a clear golden color with off-white head and lots of lacing around glass. Looks good.

S: Smell is dominated by grassy hops, not very strong and not the greatest hop aroma, some unpleasant stale malt with a hint of alcohol. Smells more like a hop forward pale ale than an IPA.

T: Tastes a bit better than it smells but not the hop dominant taste you expect from an IPA. Sweet base malts with a hint of orange. Some grassy hops on top of the malt add enough hoppiness for Henry's to call this an IPA. Tastes pretty much like Henry's Private Reserve with extra hops.

M: Some bitterness up front, light bodied with good carbonation. Not a real smooth drinking beer.

O: Tastes better than the regular Henry's but they really missed the mark for trying to make an American IPA. Won't be buying this one anytime soon. A buck more for six pack can get me significantly better beer.

2.65/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance-Clean golden orange with a thin white head. No lacing to speak of.

Smell-Toasty cereal grains with some caramel sweetness, a spicy hop bitterness aroma and the base malt aroma present in several of the beers from the same brand.

Taste-Grainy and moderately bitter, Hops have a slight citrus hit and a more significant spicy, vegetal character. Lingering flat bitterness is perhaps the most detracting factor.

Mouthfeel-Somewhat thin bodied, moderately carbonated, aftertaste is floods palate.

Overall-I found this beer seemed to review worse than the actual experience, but either way it wasn't a good experience. It's one you probably shouldn't think much about. Amazing that the odd aftertaste from other Weinhard's brews would come shining through a fairly well hopped beer.

3.53/5  rDev +15%

serving type: bottle (only way Weinhard's is sold)
appearance: drank from bottle like always. :)
smell: citrus and pinecones
taste: pretty standard IPA-ish. Has a slight bite.
mouthfeel: Pretty light/standard from the others I've had. Not completely watery though.
overall: I like the taste. the mouthfeel could be heavier. I don't remember seeing this beer before. I think it must be seasonal. I bought it at Wal Mart at Fishers Landing in Vancouver, WA. I was guessing it was going to be under %% like most of Weinhard's beers but it's 6% which is cool. Worked outside all day and this is a great way to cap off the night.

By the way, since most folks here are probably from the NorthWest, Fred Cole (ex-Dead Moon) and a huge Portland legend can be seen in this live video with some Weinhard's on the table. Pierced Arrows! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWET3z8iVjE

Henry Weinhard's Woodland Pass IPA from Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.