Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Henry Weinhard's Woodland Pass IPA - Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.

Henry Weinhard's Woodland Pass IPAHenry Weinhard's Woodland Pass IPA

Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co. visit their website
Oregon, United States

Beer added by: Reidrover on 03-05-2008

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
3.82/5  rDev +21.3%

flowery aromatic smell is the best feature of this brew. i didnt get a chance to pour it, drank it straight from the bottle, so the appearance was markd by a 3. im really happy Henry's came out with this IPA, a new turn to an affordable beer. right on Henry, thanks again...

3.83/5  rDev +21.6%

I'm burned out on hops, so I'm biased. Pours to a thin White head and copper color. Aroma is piney PNW hops and a bit of sweet caramel malt. Flavor picks up the same as the aroma. Not intensely bitter as is the standard for American craft IPAs but does have all the elements, the malty backbone, bitter, resiny bite and dry, tangy finish. Mouthfeel is light for style. not to IPA snob standards, but passes as an English IPA in my book and has that American hop twang. If there ever was a sessionable American IPA, this is it. Good call.

3.83/5  rDev +21.6%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass
Clear copper in color, with a big, off-white head of foam.
Aroma-Faint toasted malt and floral notes
Taste-"soft' herbal hops, subtle caramel and toasted malt. A nice "entry-level" IPA. Easy drinking "burger brew".

3.85/5  rDev +22.2%

it's back in stores in eugene oregon and will be available as a year round selection!... as of april 2011. i first tried this beer during the summer of 2008 and loved it, as IPAs are my favorite during the summer. it's not as nearly as bad as a macro but not quite as good as more expensive micros, but that's what is great about it... coming in at under $6 per six pack and sales on 12 packs for $11, it's a really great intro to IPAs.

i probably be drinking this all summer after exercising or mowing the lawn during the weekends. and according to the press release (google it), it's supposed to be available on draft in may. this is my favorite henry's beer.

3.89/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured chilled from a bottle into a standard pint.

A=Deep orange-gold amber and a touch of cloudiness...bright white head.

S=Orange and lemon essences present.

T=More lemony than orange,with a modestly strong hop backbone.

M=Moderate body, very low carbonation.

O=I generally don't like IPA's, and my scores here are based more on the style...Of the IPAs I've had, this was a bit more enjoyable than most...but it may be a bit too tame for those that really like the style...still, like other MillerCoors' "craft" type beers, this is a decent gateway beer and could serve as a decent IPA for parties...a decent session IPA, too.

3.94/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light copper color with a 1/2 inch white head. Carbonation is visible. Head recedes to a splotchy film across my glass and leaves stringy lacing. The smell blew me away, it is sweet, grassy and floral. I almost feel that it could be described as smelling like an Oregon forest. The taste starts with a slight sweetness then I get a tangy citrus. Body is a little on the thin side but it has nice carbonation. Overall, this would be a great beer for a summer day when you don't want a full bodied IPA, but don't want to sacrifice the hops. My expectations were not high for this beer, but it really surprised me. This is really not meant to compete with inversion IPA, or Laurelwood workhorse, but I think it fits a niche of hoppy lawnmower beer.

3.96/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I really enjoyed this IPA. Some will criticize for lack of complexity, but this beer is subtle beauty. Smooth, crisp. Not much head or lacing to speak of, but the taste is balanced and full throughout. The bitterness hides nicely behind hints of orange and spice. Sweet, spicy aftertastes lingers that I actually enjoyed, which I usually don't with an IPA. 6% abv= not overpowering but a appropriately detectable. The definition of solid/refreshing.

3.97/5  rDev +26%

In the end this is what really happened... Miller made the dicision to drop this label and make Lat 44 aka Latitude 44, which is basically the location of Eugene Oregon to better market the beer for Oregonians that like micro-brews but it failed and now it's gone. I think this sucks because Henry makes some good beer but they have no IPA and this would hev been a great addition to their label but now it's gone. The reason I mark this as on-tap because that is the only way they marketed the beer when it was called Lat 44.

I really like this beer. It's cost at $6.99/six is great, and while it's hardly a stellar IPA, I think that is what makes it so appealing. It's a milder IPA but definitely has that hoppy character that I love, but it's also smooth and you could drink a couple of these in succession without feeling put-off.

It's nothing to write home about but it's definitely a great standard, regular beer that I will continue to buy stateside and sneak back up into Canada on a regular basis. Gotta love these Northwestern brews!

4.04/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

It pours a clear, light amber with a white head. Head retention is decent and the lacing is alright as well. It carries aromas of citrus and caramel, with a light malty backbone. The caramel is first tasted followed by some refreshing grapefruit notes from the hops. Malt shines through in the finish. There is a good amount of carbonation with a moderate mouthfeel. Overall, not too bad. Pick some up if you get the chance

4.1/5  rDev +30.2%

On draft at The Good Life, Massapequa Park, NY.

Poured a medium copper hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured piney hops with a light soft caramel.

The taste consisted of an upfront piney and citric hop with a pleasant doughy round malt.

The mouthfeel was typical of the style.

Overall a very tasty and highly quaffable IPA. I think this beer suffers from the competition of the West Coast.

4.18/5  rDev +32.7%

Henry Weinhard’s Woodland Pass IPA has a thick, soapy, cream-colored head and a hazy (which gets more hazy upon swishing the bottle), bubbly, orange appearance. Lacing is quite pronounced. The aroma is of bread, bread crust, and hop oil, and the flavor is sweet, bready, and has a mild hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Henry Weinhard’s Woodland Pass IPA finishes semi-dry, mellow, and quite drinkable. Overall, this is a very good beer.

4.26/5  rDev +35.2%

This is the beer that started me off with wanting to drink all beers in the world. Has a special place in my heart and I think its a pretty dam good beer.

4.52/5  rDev +43.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I am biased here, I have yet to meet an IPA that I didn't like...I'm smitten. That being said, great flavor, nice bite. Like it alot. Will buy again. Great body, had with Carne Asada Tacos. Enjoyed bbqing out of bottle, just a beast that way. Thoroughly enjoyable.

4.6/5  rDev +46%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm very surprised by the low rates for this fine ale. I found it to have an excellent aroma, firm head, great color, and a balanced bitterness. I also like an ale that is not excessively alcoholic. This is an ale you could enjoy throughout the evening. My personal assessments for pale ales and IPA's are almost always well aligned with those from Beer Advocate. This is the biggest exception by far. I will buy this ale again!

4.83/5  rDev +53.3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I don't like to buy 12 bottles of unknown beer, but I did on this occasion on account of the cost which was very moderate. I thought: What can I lose? I'll try it. As soon as I got home I poured a glass to see how big an error I'd made. But, wow! It was good! I couldn't believe it for the price. My first thought was "hops," and so I went back and read the box and hops were mentioned. I like IPA, so that qualified too. I've drank beer all over the world (Scotland, Germany and Cyprus!) and this stuff was good. Great color and appearance, and then the flavor to boot. 6% ABV (which surprised me, as it was that high)! For THAT PRICE! Unbelievable. Go America! Congrats Henry Weinhard's!

4.95/5  rDev +57.1%

This is not an "in you face" ale, with some unexpected taste. It is one the best ales I have tasted. It is fairly hoppy with a full body and nice foamy head. It reminds me of the best British bitter ales, although it's an India Pale Ale design. It leaves a great after taste on the tongue. The kicker is that it's priced very low compared to the competition. I only hope it remains available in my Ohio location.

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
Henry Weinhard's Woodland Pass IPA from Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.