2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Henry Weinhard's Woodland Pass IPA - Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.

Henry Weinhard's Woodland Pass IPAHenry Weinhard's Woodland Pass IPA

Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co. visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: Reidrover on 03-05-2008)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
Ratings: 500 | Reviews: 136 | Show All Ratings:
1whiskey

3.55/5  rDev +15.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Nice light bronze color, good clarity, and a 1 finger head. Active carbonation is evident.

Nose is hoppy enough I suppose, but more earthy than you would expect for something with Simcoe and Chinook in it.

Pretty strait forward in taste...an initial spat of hop bitterness followed by toasted grain. Very biscuit-like. It's not complex, but it's a tried and true formula.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side...with all the carbonation it's a little distracting from the beer itself. Nothing a quick swirl won't cure, though.

Overall it's a decent beer, given the price range it makes for a good value. I certain enjoyed it with my peppery mashed potatoes. I'm not sure about calling this an IPA, though. Seems more like an amber to me. That's not to say it's a bad beer, only to say don't expect a hop bomb.

03-08-2008 10:10:39 | More by 1whiskey
Reidrover

3.65/5  rDev +18.9%

New one from Henry's Typical orange colour of an IPA with a nice enough looking slightly off-white head. Aroma is certainlly hoppy but really doesnt grab your attention, there is in fact a little unpleasantness underneath, but i had tio strain to catch it..so OK. Flavour is quite OK the hopping isnt too agressive and there is a nice enough complmentary semi-sweet maltiness, in deed the hops coat the tongue near the end, not bad. I liked the palate on this beer,not really watery but easy to drink, nice lingering hoppy after taste. Not bad at all at this price range ( under $10 a 12 pack). I am rather enjoying it. A good lighter IPA for the hotter months ( its is a Spring/Summer release). Overall excellent value for money.

03-05-2008 04:37:45 | More by Reidrover
tjsdomer2

3.31/5  rDev +7.8%

Appearance: Creamy red; doesn't really look like an IPA, but it is really a pleasant color.

Smell: Some oak and that is about it. Pretty eh.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Tastes like faint pine and caramel; more of a red/amber than an IPA. Mouthfeel is quite creamy with good bite in the finish. It's good, but again, doesn't speak to me as an IPA.

Overall: Pretty good beer to find at a baseball game (White Sox). Not a good IPA, but it does a good job as a sweeter amber.

07-28-2013 22:31:36 | More by tjsdomer2
tigg924

3.08/5  rDev +0.3%

Had on tap at TBones--Plymouth--served into a pint glass

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, golden-brown in color, clear, low carbonation

Smell: citrus and soapy hops

Taste: caramel, husk, citrus and soapy hops

Mouthfeel: sweet start with a light bitter middle and a stronger bitter end, light bodied, moderate carbonation

Overall: An average if not slightly timid IPA that drinks a bit more like a strong pale ale. This is not a beer I would turn down, but not one I would go out of my way for either.

01-31-2013 13:39:40 | More by tigg924
smcolw

3.61/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear dark gold color. Good head for a bar pour. Leaves ring lace after each sip.

Metallic (iron-like) smell. Light and mild pale ale aromas. Muted hop.

Better flavor than the smell indicates. Fairly middle of the road, taste-wise. Dry, as if a bit of rye were added. Hop bitterness provides balance but isn't enough to fit the typical IPA profile. Medium bodied with a mildly elevated carbonation.

01-20-2013 23:10:20 | More by smcolw
DelmarAle

2.55/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

When it was poured, it has a fairly plain and pale appearance in the glass.
It unfortunately it does have much of a nose.
On tasting, it is very weak on the hops. I have definitely had pale ales with more hops.
It does flow smoothly across the tongue and throat. There is very little bite.
Overall, this is very average at best. To me, it feels like a weak pale pretending to be an IPA.

01-01-2013 19:21:26 | More by DelmarAle
CaptainSloose

2.95/5  rDev -3.9%

Had this on tap at a Quaker steak & lube. I didn't have much choice in craft beers, but I wasn't unhappy I ordered this.

A: a golden, copper color, very clear, no hop haze. Zero lacing.

S: I couldn't get much aroma off this beer at all. A slight toasty, bready smell but its almost neutral

T: a slight caramel flavor. Not much in the way of malt. It's tart but not bitter. Finishes tart, but not bitter. If there was any dry hops in here at all I can't taste them.

M: finishes clean and dry, bitterness and tartness don't linger

O: given the choice between BMC and this beer I will chose this every time. I'm not sure I'm interested in paying $5 for a pint of it.

12-26-2012 18:43:03 | More by CaptainSloose
NiceTaps

2.93/5  rDev -4.6%

On tap in a pint glass at a local joint.

A- pours a orange/copper color with a 1finger head at best, not much retention or lacing but it looks ok.

S- this is an IPA? Well, it does not smeel like one. Malty; a bread and caramel lager type aroma to me.

T- Kinda like it smells, more of a lager taste than an IPA. Hey , it's owned by SAB Miller,I believe, and it shows. Very toned down.

M- better than BMC, but not great. No trace of an IPA hop bite at all.

O- Drinker beware, my review is more than kind.

11-17-2012 23:51:06 | More by NiceTaps
thagr81us

South Carolina

Served from tap into a shaker. Poured red-orange with a one finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount very slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, caramel, caramel hop, and bread. The flavor was of sweet malt, earth, earth hop, caramel hop, and skunk. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was an average brew. Nothing really stood out on this beer for me. I’m not sure where this skunky aspect came from but I was definitely not a fan. Despite this fact there really wasn’t a whole lot going on here that would keep me coming back pint after pint if I am completely honest. Glad I got to tick it, but I doubt I will be doing so again.

10-02-2012 11:49:08 | More by thagr81us
plaid75

4.1/5  rDev +33.6%

On draft at The Good Life, Massapequa Park, NY.

Poured a medium copper hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured piney hops with a light soft caramel.

The taste consisted of an upfront piney and citric hop with a pleasant doughy round malt.

The mouthfeel was typical of the style.

Overall a very tasty and highly quaffable IPA. I think this beer suffers from the competition of the West Coast.

08-22-2012 22:49:02 | More by plaid75
Lucs

3.98/5  rDev +29.6%

In the end this is what really happened... Miller made the dicision to drop this label and make Lat 44 aka Latitude 44, which is basically the location of Eugene Oregon to better market the beer for Oregonians that like micro-brews but it failed and now it's gone. I think this sucks because Henry makes some good beer but they have no IPA and this would hev been a great addition to their label but now it's gone. The reason I mark this as on-tap because that is the only way they marketed the beer when it was called Lat 44.

03-04-2010 00:53:01 | More by Lucs
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
Henry Weinhard's Woodland Pass IPA from Blitz-Weinhard Brewing Co.