Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,329 | Reviews: 1,119

Great taste, fruity sweetness mid palate with a spicy finish

In my humble opinion, this is the most sublime beer ever made! It is truly (for my palate, anyway), "The Nectar Of The Gods," and I am certain they serve this in Valhalla!

4.99/5  rDev +17.7%

A: Dark brown, cloudy, no head.

S: alcoholic esters, bready, dark stone fruits, characteristic Belgian yeasts. It also has a sweet smell to it; molasses?

T & M: Amazing! Smoky, semi sweet, complex yet balanced. The alcohol is definitely present and in your face. It's creamy and rich but unlike a stout or a porter. There's a spicy feel up front followed by the alcoholic burn followed by a smokey and sweet finish.

Overall: The only thing that prevented me from giving this magnificent beer a perfect 5 rating was its lack of a frothy head and lacing. I know the high alcohol content killed the chances of this brew having any kind of a pillowy, frothy head but for a sticky beer you would imagine it leaving crazy lacing all over the glass. I've tried American style eisbocks as well as other German eisbocks but none compares to this one. This has got to be the king of eisbocks!

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

A - very full and dark amber color with dark orange tones
S - very intensive and pleasant smell of banana and wild-rose
T - extraordinary banana start with great mixture of wild-rose and caramel and very nice carbonation and full mouthfeel ending pretty dry and not so hoppy, but the presence of yeast is awesome. Alcohol is perfectly hidden in the beer.
M - full body with brilliant carbonation
D - very drinkable, however very strong, so be careful.

This eisbock is totally great.

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

This beer is amazing and I was rather excited to see Trappeze Pub had it on tap. Since tapping the first keg, I have had at least 15 of these beers. Appearance is dark brown with purple colors mixed in. Smell is predominantly of sweet, dark fruits (e.g., plum, apricot) as well as banana and clove. Taste mirrors the smell with a bit more sweet and spicy clove. Mouthfeel is nicely sticky sweet and perfect for the style. I will drink this beer whenever I see it on tap!

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

Appearance: Looks very much like Aventinus, with the combination of orange wheat haziness and dark chocolate tones. Obviously a little darker and clearer than Aventinus. Poured with very little head--a brief flourish is all it gave. Low/medium viscosity.

Aroma: Very mellow rendition of the chocolate, banana, pepper and orange nose of Aventinus. More molasses, raisins and orange zest with a metallic hops/booze finish.

Taste: This beer immediately strikes with a mellow brandy booze bristle, followed by molasses, raisins and sweet malts. The wheat removes the bready quality of regular barley-based doppelbock, while boosting the fruits and some of the sweet notes and the wheat sours typical of a weizen. Full citrus wheat background, with a slightly dry finish and a little booze in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Smooth--more drinkable than the regular Aventinus. Mellow and sweet but perfectly balanced. Low carbonation provides for a very clean and drinkable beer.

Drinkability: My tastebuds are still saying "Wow". I admire this version as much as regular Aventinus, albeit for the deft ice filtering and clean flavor. Fantastic--I wish I had six more.

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

This beer looks very appetizing both in and out of the bottle. It pours to be cloudy/opaque in terms of clarity (As it warms up it starts to clear). Its color is very much like that of the Cherry desk that it is sitting on. The Head on this beer was a nice size to begin with but quickly became lacing, which still looks appetizing. When agitated the head/lacing becomes a bit thicker but then quickly returns to how it previously was. A bigger creamier head would've been nice and would have made this appear a bit more appetizing.

The aroma of this beer is quality. It is very strong and can be described as malty and dark and fruity. Its smell reminds me of a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. I can detect hints of vanilla in the aroma. However what sets it apart from the smell of a Belgian Strong Dark Ale is the fact that to me its main aromatic quality is that it smells exactly like a mulled Victorian Holdiay Wine that I recently drank on Thanksgiving. I also notice a wheat/grainy smell in this beer. A very complex aroma to this beer, the mulled wine was the first scent I noticed but as I keep smelling it I detect more and more sweet aromas.

Wow! This stuff is great! The flavor is complex and is breathtaking. Alcohol is very evident in the taste. This has a similar but slightly different taste than wine. I believe that the easily detectable alcohol presence gives me this impression. It finishes much in the same way as wine. I don't really taste any bitterness, most of the flavor is from the malt and alcohol presence. I can taste a bit of the vanilla that I smelled and I also notice that it tastes somewhat like a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. The evident alcohol presence and lack of bitterness make it taste different than the strong dark ale but I can taste similarities.

The mouthfeel of this beer is just as good as the rest of it. It is highly carbonated which perfectly complements the taste of the beer in my opinion.This beer is full bodied and, I believe leaves nothing to be desired in the way of mouthfeel. I would drink this all day if I could without getting alcohol poisoning but then I would become spoiled. I will definitely buy this one again, provided I can find it.

Vintage 2005.

The beer poured a crystal clear brown garnet with no head. I was careful to decant off the lees which are quite abundant in this beer.

The aroma of the beer was bursting with vinous grapes, raisins, and alcohol.

The flavor of the beer was rich with melanoidins, concord grapes, dark raisins, and warming alcohol. The hops were there in the background to help balance out some of the sweetness.

The mouthfeel was syrupy and dextrinous and complimented the rich flavors perfectly. The carbonation was low, but perfect for the style.

This beer was immensly rich and complex. It was rediculously drinkable considering the 12% ABV. This beer is truly a masterpiece. I can find no flaws.

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

Speechless! This is heaven on earth. Strong, yet smooth. This is a must have for any serious beer drinker. Just try it

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

Bottle dated: 2011 025869.

Poured into a brandy snifter. Pours dark cloudy toffee brown with a quickly dissipating off-white head. Some bubbles can be seen rising from the side of the glass, but not many. It appears darker than the regular Aventinus. There are aromas of banana, sweet malt, bubblegum, dark fruits, sweet malts, and some alcohol. It is all the aromas I loved in the regular Aventinus, but intensified. The taste follows the nose. The banana flavors are strongly represented from the yeast. The sweet malt provides a nice backbone for this beer. There are dark fruits in the flavor as well. The alcohol is detectable in the taste, but it blends well with this beer. It does not come across as boozy, but well balanced. The body is full with solid carbonation. The beer is smooth with a clean finish. The alcohol provides a nice warming feel. I wouldn't mind having a few of these put away for cold winter months. This is an excellent beer that held up very well despite the age.

4.96/5  rDev +17%

Hazy amber/brown, with beige notes. Big head, goes away fast, big retention.
Smells of perfect banana and clove, flowers, wheat, yeasty bread dough.
Really complex fruitiness, with really sweet cherries (with a hint of sourness also), red berries, pulms, figs, all of this dark fruit having a very jam-like sweetness. Sweet banana chips also, light acidic red apple, red grapes. Big vineous character, like a sweet red wine. Honey notes, and spices are big vanilla, big clove and some nice prickly pepper. Sweet wheaty malts, caramel, reminding of sweet cake, going to gingerbread. Even if itțs really sweet, it's not unpleasant, complementing the warm alcohol (surprisingly not boozy, considering it's 12%). Herbal notes felt towards the hoppy finish, with a decent bitterness.
Somewhat creamy, low carbonation, perfect as a sipper.
A real delicacy, not one to pass up. Can't wait to get my hands on an old vintage. Top-tier brew.

4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

Wow. This beer is ridiculously good. As soon as I opened this bottle my nose was hit with an aroma so fine that I had to continue savoring it for several moments before I poured it. As far as the pour, head, lacing, blah, blah, blah-- don't care. What came next was a taste that I can only describe as liquid ecstasy. There's just so much going on with the complex favors in this beer (and I won't pretend that I have a palate so refined that I can identify every one) yet it still goes down so damn smooth. The only negative for me was that the carbonation was slightly less than what I would have preferred, but that may have a lot to do with how smooth the beer felt-- So is it really a negative?
I've had a few beers in my day and this one has to rank in my top five.

4.94/5  rDev +16.5%

11.2 OZ bottle. Bottle 2004/ 10697.

Pours a cloudy chocolate milkshake brown with some yeast floaters.

Smell is intense vanilla banana and cloves with an intense malt scent. Like Aventinus only concentrated more. Seriously spicy.

Taste is sweet and very intense; alcohol level leaves an unmistakable heat in the mouth. Pretty much concentrated Aventinus. Lots of vanilla and banana and cloves flavor.

Mouthfeel is almost chewable.

Incredibly drinkable and intense. Only the cost and rarity prevent me from having this as often as I like.

4.94/5  rDev +16.5%

I've noticed that only one of Schneider Weisse's Brewpubs is listed here (the one in Kehlheim). They have a second one right near Marienplatz and the Hofbrauhaus in Munich!!! It's actually the original site of Schneider Weisse's brewery but due to bombing in WWII, they decided to move the brewing part to a more spacious location in Kehlheim. The Weisse Braeuhaus is the name of Schneider Weisse's brewpub in Munich and it's a institution with the locals for a very good reason: THEY CARRY the ENTIRE SELECTION of Schneider Weisse beers (even the limited edition ones) and they have amazing food as well- the cook there just came out with a cookbook containing rare collections of old German food recipes, most of which also feature either beer or organs as a main ingredient! http://www.schneider-weisse.de/index.php?lang=en&tpl=brauerei.brauhaeusser

4.92/5  rDev +16%

Nightcap of the 3rd Madison Style Session - Weiss is Neiss.

Pour: murky garnet, totally opaque under a surprising finger of khaki foam that succumbs to the booze and fades to a spotty skim.

Nose: deep and dark - notes of brown sugar/molasses, dark fruits (dates, figs, raisins) with a sharp balsamic vinegar bite in the finish.

Taste: raisins, Belgian wheat, sweet vegatal notes, brandy-booze, and more of that potent balsamic vinegar in the finish.

Feel: medium-slick body, fizzy carbonation with a brandy burn as it goes down.

Drinkability/Overall: a phenomenal beer. Insanely drinkable for a 12% eisbock. Interesting wheaty-sour/dark fruit complexity. A nice amped-up version of their already stellar weizen-bock.

4.92/5  rDev +16%

The Eisbock is probably my favorite beer, along with the Westy 12 (although they are different in many ways). I love it's clove and fruity aroma, and the banana and spice flavor it leaves on the palate. The 'boziness' is present, but totally contained within the effervescent and malty flavor.

I first experienced this beer at the Schneider Haus in Munich in '06, and then bought 2 cases of it at the Specs Warehouse in Houston, TX upon my return. Finding and experiencing the delectability of the Eisbock remains one of the highlights of my beer-drinking life! (I'm a little curious as to why it wasn't ranked in the top 100, though..)

4.92/5  rDev +16%

Cool purple label with the bottle number 2007/14199.

Appearance: This poured a in incredibly dark brown color with red highlights. I cannot tell if its hazy because it is so dark but i would assume it is due to the yeast. Even with a slow side of the glass pour i ended up with no head whatsoever. Lacing also was minimal.

Smell: Woah! This smells like alcoholic banana bread. I also picked up on the clove, dark fruits and alcohol.

Taste: Wow, what a surprise!. Where should i begin? The clove flavor is intense in this beer and I love it. This is one rich and fruity brew that reminds me of Ommegang's three philosophers. The alcohol is nice and warming but not harsh at all. The wheat flavor is there but its altered by the fruitiness. The hops are hard to single out but you can tell they are there adding to the overall taste of the brew.

Mouthfeel/drinkabiliy: While tingly from cabonation this brew feels more syrupy than it actualyl is. It is moderate to thin in density but it is very smooth and silky. If i didn't care about being alive i could drink 3 of these they are delicious. Very Drinkable.

I think ive found a new favorite! And to think i bought this by mistake! I meant to buy the 8% abv weizenbock. Haha oh well. I will get that eventually.

4.92/5  rDev +16%

This is liquid bread and an unbelievable beer experience, this makes one recosider all thoughts and perceptions regarding wheat beers.

It pours a dark garnet color and like its lower gravity sidekick it has a large bubbled shor lived head thta leaves quickly and does not lkike to stick to the glass. What a pity.

The smell is rich and earthy over ripe sweet banana, cloves and alcohol warn you of the high gravity brew you are about to enjoy. this is a glass of rum soaked pumpkin spice or banana bread.

The taste is sublime. Danger Will Robinson, there is alcohol afoot. If you can smell it you can likewise taste it. The sip is a cacaphony of flavors. Sweet Malt, bittering hops, more malt and an overiding flavor of alcohol in the foreground. This is a dangerously strong brew.

This is a full bodied jar of beer. Thick and persistent on the toungue the taste lingers and evolves as you drink your way to Nirvana. A malt lovers Epiphany this is... Thick and oily you do not easily chase the richness of this brew from your palate.

Drinkable? Need you ask? This is the digestif of beers. The dessert tray stands untouched save for some cheese and fresh fruit. One has little need of anything else.

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

This beer is awesome!!Pour slowly this thing is packed with carbonation,Huge on the nose,packed with bannana,clove from the weizenbier yeast.Creamy and rich thoughout the taste explodes in your mouth!First german beer to impress me since I lived there.

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: dark red-black. Not much head.

Smell: Intensely, extremely fruity. Cherry, banana. Sublime.

Taste: Sweet taste of dark fruits, especially cherry, that mask the very high alcohol level really well. Not as sweet as Kasteel Donker, but somewhat similar. Maltiness come out at the end, and some bitterness of roasted malt comes out, but not that much, and the taste of fruit is still stronger.

Feel: A full-body, viscous. The viscosity just resonated within me really well.

Overall: One of the best beer I have had in a while, and I was surprised when I first taste it by how excellent it is. Will surely have it again.

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

A-pours a dark copper with a huge slight off white head
S-huge sweet fruit (banana and apples)and clove with a nice yeast kick with a nice amount of alcohol
T-a huge sweet fruit a little clove and a big spicyness compared to its little brother, definately theres alot more alcohol in the background but overall this is world class definately a step above the normal aventinus but not quite as drinkable but a much bigger punch in the face flavorwise
M-very thick creamy body with a perfect amount of carbonation to compilment its spicyness this is the desert of beer
D-a very huge tasting beer, but this beer is orgasmically delicious very drinkable minus the abv which is the only deterent i personally wouldn't mind taking the risk if i was able to buy cases of it at a time i highly recommend you try it

4.89/5  rDev +15.3%

A- Beautiful brown. Good carbonation that dissipates quickly.

S- What a great smell. This beer smells of dark fruit and booze. I love it. The smell alone is intoxicating.

T- Tastes like it smells. Bananas, dark fruit, loads and loads of wheat, and a great warmth of alcohol with the finish. If you like the aventinus dopplebock, you have to get this one. it is like that on steroids. The alcohol is very drinkable for being 12%. It wil sneak up on you quick.

M- smooth, yet substantial.

O- one of my favorite all time beers, and my favorite wheat beer. Get this beer, and enjoy every drop.

4.89/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: Very dark caramel. Head like the surface of the moon. Fine bubbles puckered with bigger bubbles. Goes down fairly quickly. Mushroom colour works beautifully with the body colour. Classy looking.

S: Strong wheat beer banana flavour plus cloves, rum, caramel and marzipan. Christmas pudding. Beautiful.

T: Banana, marzipan and dried fruit flavours are very upfront. Sweet and sticky but balanced. Loads of Christmas pudding. Strong tasting but immensily quaffable. A nice big belch releases more Christmas pudding. It's a bold Belgian on steroids.

M: Nice and sticky with a Weizenbier texture.

O: One of the best beers I've ever had. It has all the flavour of a dark bold Belgian with the texture of a German Weizen. It's actually ruined the Belgian quadrupel/strong dark ale for me. If you don't like this beer I don't like you.

4.89/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance - Poured from a 12 oz bottle. Deep brown with some red hues, but very cloudy. The head started out thick and creamy and faded to a low cap made of exceptionally small bubbles.

Smell - Wonderful! Sweet banana and unidentified spiciness with alcohol and wine-like notes.

Flavor - Incredible complexity in each sip. Banana ice cream drenched in caramel sauce, with some alcohol heat thrown in. There is some bitterness in the background, but just enough to balance and keep this from tasting too much like a pureed Bananas Foster dessert to be drinkable. Malt and dark fruit flavors come in at the back of the mouth just before you swallow.

Mouthfeel - Thick and mouth-coating, as appropriate for this level of intensity and sweetness. The high carbonation helps cut the sweetness with a little prickly acidity, while the creaminess of the nitrogen-like bubbles complements the banana ice cream impression. Some alcohol burn, but it's hard to believe it is12% ABV.

Drinkability - Very inviting and rewarding when you sip slowly to enjoy the complexities. A testament to what can be accomplished through the brewer's art.

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees
BOTTLE NUMBER: 2009/01404

This one pours a darkly shaded, golden brown color. Almost a fingers worth of dark tan colored foam forms the head. It recedes to a thin, spotty, surface covering. The lacing is spotty as well and fairly slick.

There's no denying that this one has a good amount of booziness to it. At 12.00%abv though, it's no real surprise. It's loaded with dark fruits, especially cherries. There is a delicious yeastiness, combined with a good deal of wheat, that smells like pie crust. This is the nose of a 'maltbomb', as far as the sweetness presence goes.
Somewhat like I'd expect a pie made from maraschino cherries and rum to smell like.
This is one of the best smells that I know of, for a malt forward brew. Deliciously enticing.

Everything from the nose is still here. It's now joined by a wonderful gingerbread presence though, which is beautiful. It has a nice level of spiciness. The high abv, while not entirely hidden, is not nearly as noticeable as the nose prepared you for. It has a nice warmth going down, but not the heat that was expected.

Full-bodied, getting close to thick. It has a medium-to-high level of carbonation, which gives it just a touch of roughness that works against the creaminess that it has. Just slightly shy of perfection.

The high abv is hidden well enough and this one tastes very nice, if you don't mind the sweet/maltbomb side of the spectrum. I could drink several of these at one sitting, and I have several times. This is one of my 'go-to' beers.
It's recommended, if you've never had it. It could become your new dessert beer, if nothing else.

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH