Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-EisbockSchneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,121 | Hads: 2,424
3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

11.2oz. bottle with information about the beer and history, bottle number, and bottle vintage date all on the back. Mine was bottle No. 18269 vintage 2002. This makes it a 4yr. old beer.

Appearance: Poured a dark brown color with just a little skim of foam at the top and very few rings around my Snifter. In the beer and left at the bottom of the bottle there seems to be plenty of sediment in this beer. I wonder if the beer being at 4yrs. old is the reason why there was so much sediment in the beer.

Smell: Up front there was a rich aroma of dark fruits and with a moderate smell of chocolate and malt in the background.

Taste: Malty!!! Bascially it was just sweet malts and dark fruits with a strong alcohol presence in the background. I really didn't notice any wheat (weizen) in this like it said on the label, but I sure did taste the full bodiedness of the Eisbock though.

Mouthfeel: Full-Bodied with a strong alchool aftertaste. The mouthfeel reminds me of a quote from Simpsons Character Ralph Wiggum, "It tastes like burning!"

Drinkability: This made for a nice flavorful Eisbock in the beginning, but i think the strong alcohol presence aftertaste at the end kind of ruined it. But what do I expect from a beer with an alcohol content of 12%?

3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

A= my first dabble with the eisbock style. I'm a little skeptical. The pour reveils a super hazy brown color. It looked super milky then it was coming out of the bottle. I figured the freeze distillation would make it much more translucant but I guess I'm way off base. The head is an off white color that rises to a perfect looking two fingers and holds some decent retention but not as well as I would expect from wheat. The lacing is pretty decent as well.

S= Really quite bubblegummy. Decent wheat aroma. The wheat is a little citrusy and zippy. There's some really nice maltyness to it. Good and sweet smelling. No alcohol is detected in the nose which I'm really suprised by. I thought this was gonna be a hot mess but so far it's suprising me.

T= The taste reminds me a lot of the regular Aventinus. There is a little bubblegum and a good wheat flavor to it. The wheat sort of mellows everything out and the sweet malts are excellent. That being said the alcohol I was so curious about doesn't come through in the taste. The feel going down my throat is hot however. The warmth in my belly lets me know this is a lot heavier in the booze also.

M= Pretty good. I think this is the only part of this beer that was lessened by the distillation. The feel is sort of thin and a little light.

D= A tasty brew for me and you. This is a decent beer by all means. The alcohol makes itself evident in the belly however. I may toss a few of these away to see what it does but it's by no means bad.

3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

Bottle # 18995: Poured a dark ruby color with a small off white head that left light lacing on the glass. Wheaty, clove, and some banana in the aroma. Sweet caramel taste, pepper noted as well. Alcohol burn. Creamy mouthfeel, this was different but awesome!

3.79/5  rDev -9.8%

Dark and cloudy teak colored beer with virtually no head. Aroma hints at sweet flavors, with cloves, figs, and molasses present. Very bakery/patisserie type smells in here -- rich, warm, inviting sweetness on display. On the palate, the first thing to show itself is hugely sweet dates, then a flash of sour fruit comes in before a big, raw alcoholic burn takes over at the tip of the tongue and back of the throat. That alcohol burn is way too harsh and detracts from the mouthfeel and drinkability of this beer significantly. Overall, interesting effort, but it lacks balance and subtlety while displaying all the pitfalls of "extreme" beers. Still, I can imagine that if you want a warming drink in the winter time and don't want to drink liquor or mulled wine, this would do.

3.79/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured dark brown with ruby hue. Foam quickly settled and disappeared. Light white ring. 70% opaque but clear and crisp looking. Moderate carbonation.
Aroma: Malty, raison, plum, molasses, cherry, banana and clove. Brandy-like.
Taste: Sweet malt, clove, cherry and plum. Bit of tartness in the finish.
Mouthfeel: Malty, wine-like. Minimal carbonation.
Overall: Smooth sipping beer to be enjoyed in a snifter. Complex flavors

3.78/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip. Bottle # 2009/03736

Forms a dense and persistent khaki colored head. Body is a very dark and dense brown color. Leaves some very nice filmy lacing.

Aroma includes the grassy but clean hop profile of a standard bock and the estery fruitiness of a weizen bock, slightly amplified by of course. Notes of dates, apricots, and raisins along with a strong German yeast character and a hint of chocolate.

Fruity notes are amped up even more so on the flavor profile, enough so that I'm having a hard time reconnecting with the hops I picked up on the nose. Bananas join the other fruits from the aroma, and the yeast is much more clear here. Not bad but I can't say it tastes as good as it smells. There's a brandy-like character that's a little more focused than I'd like but this is 12% after all.

Drinkability takes a small hit because of the obvious booze flavor but not horrible for such a strong beer. This beer is fuller than medium bodied and is nicely carbonated with only a faint alcohol burn.

Overall an enjoyable beer and one I'd recommend to those who for some reason think wheat beer is 'girly'.

3.77/5  rDev -10.2%

330 mL bottle poured into a Kuhnhenn snifter. 2010 bottle.

Appearance - Pours with a significant amount of sediment in the stream of the pour, but then I find none in the glass. My eyes must deceive me. Deep amber, like a black rum. Small khaki head, but it's short lived. After 5 minutes, it looks like I'm drinking 10 ounces of cognac. That would be a rough night.

Smell - Booze, whoa. Bubble gum, caramel, bananas, and a strong spiciness that is amplified by the alcohol.

Taste - The wheat is much more present here. Gives it a grittiness that definitely adds to the flavors. Very fruity character with that distinctive bubble gum flavor reminiscent of the non-iced version. Bananas and cloves that further remind me of its wheated roots. The finish is booze and caramel malt, though. A slight throwback to the fruits, but it's all toffee in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Low carbonation and quite hot, even for 12%. That said, I still have to concentrate to pace myself.

Overall - Enjoyable and different from most beers out there. I had this out of a wooden cask one time and drank three of them. I don't know how I did that. Wasted youth. Anyway, it doesn't impress me as much out of the bottle, but perspective is a funny thing.

3.77/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours a woody, ruby haze with a short-lived fizzy cap of a tan head. The nose is quite sweet - cherries, candied sugar, malted wheat, bit of booze - rather pleasant. The taste carries a lot of the same qualities and the alcohol is well masked/incorporated. Not all that drinkable but about as easy-drinking as you could hope for at this ABV.

3.77/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle dated 11/12/13. Poured into a snifter at 45F.
A - Pours a cloudy light brown color. The single finger of off-white head dissipated quickly, leaving a long lasting lacing that was resupplied by a stream of small bubbles from the bottom of the glass.
S - Strong ester smell with banana, pineapple and bread as the primary components.
T - Fairly dry with a taste that matches the smell. Banana in the foreground with malty sweetness in the middle and a crisp apple/pineapple finish.
M - Moderate mouthfeel with moderate carbonation.
O - My first eisbock. More fruity than the American double bocks I have tried. A good summer beer, even with the 12% abv. Highly recommended for those who like eatery Belgian beers.

3.77/5  rDev -10.2%

A: Scary. It's like the bubbles are clawing their way to the top. A few chunkettes of yeast, not much head. Darker than I thought it would be.

S: Sweet. Very Sweet at first. Then the yeastiness starts to creep in, but it stays sweet smelling.

T: Large, soooo large. Not quite as alcoholic tasting as I expected, but its still big. Like a much sweeter, less yeasty, slower sipping version of the Aventinus weizenbock. Like a big malty-sweet dopplebock that someone dropped some extra yeast in to give it some spice.

M: Sticky, but not like hop sticky, like malty sweetness-creamy-sticky.

D: Average, I guess.

Delicious, but I doubt I'll have more than one. Definately a sipper to sit around and enjoy for a while.

3.77/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured into a weizen glass. Body is the same color as the bottle, and there's little head and no lacing.

Smells like unfiltered apple juice, with a touch of banana and alcohol.

Flavors of bready malt with a lot of fermenting apple and some banana sweetness. Notes of dark chocolate.

Not a lot of carbontion, but still pretty smooth. Finish is dirty.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy apricot brown with quickly receding sandy head. With the nose I'm getting clove, booze, rum raisin, banana, and some bubblegum. Taste is about what I expected, exactly like a concentrated Aventinus. I'm sorry to say, however, that in this case, making the beer stronger did not make it better. The problem is that some of the subtleties of Aventinue now have to wrestle with an almost overpowering booze note. It comes through as hot, even though this bottle is probably about 7 months old. Flavors, though, are clove, banana, rum raisin, and toasted malts. It's clean and nice, though too hot. Prickly feel, I really wish this was a bit smoother. The hotness subsides a bit as the drink goes on, but still give me regular Aventinus.

3.77/5  rDev -10.2%

This is, by far, the least-offensive high alcohol beer I've tried. It poured a muddy brown with faint, almost champagne-like, bubbles. The head dissapated quickly and left no lace on my glass.

The aroma was a sweet, dark raisin smell, not unlike sweet wines. A sugarlike acohol presense was also noted.

The taste was intense, yet pleasant! There was a quick alcohol blast when it hit the middle of my tongue and the vanilla/green banana flavor whipped around in my mouth. What a ride! The alcohol then warmed me deep with nearly no aftertaste.

Surprisingly drinkable for a high alcohol brew...this one could be dangerous.

3.76/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A: Copper with brown core, murky. Intense streams of bubbles come off the sides of the glass. Soapy, velvety cream-colored head. The murkiness intensifies as the bottom of the bottle is emptied, with real (gross) chunks of sediment float in the end. I'm usually ok with sediment, but this is completely unappealing. Slightly mollified by the cool, shiny bottle art.

S: Lots of Belgian quad characteristics; raisins, fairly sweet malt, some bubble gum. Chalky, alcohol warmth.

T: Prunes, raisins, nicely sweet and warm malt. Alcohol warmth on the finish and even the breath after a sip. Much lighter flavors than I'd expect.

M: Slick, thick heavy body. Warm rounded maltiness. Carbonation is softened but still on the aggressive side.

O: Granted, this is my first experience with the style, but I feel like it was pretty much a decent quad with more faults. The already dull flavors of raisins and prunes with an added ethanol note? Not to mention the bubble gum, which I have never found appropriate in any style. I'm all for experimentation and innovation, which this style has in spades, and I did enjoy this beer on the whole, but I respectfully won't be returning.

3.76/5  rDev -10.5%

2006 batch.

Pours a chilled pumpkin orange with a few globs of yeast that plop into the goblet. The bottle is individually numbered -- neat! A tiny white head foams up briefly, then runs to the outside edge of the glass.

Smells quite spicy, with cloves and cinnamon and orange peel coming through the hefty alcohol and sweet malt. Up front banana really shows off the wheat character. No discernible hop aroma besides the vague citrus. Sweet, honey-like, and reminds me of a fall potpourri. Excellent.

A sip reveals a creamy, yeasty, sweet beer, very different from your normal Eisbock. Flavors of sour banana and clove bring to mind a German Hefe on steroids. This is spicy, estery, and maybe just a bit mouth-numbing…. Otherwise, the 12% (?!) is quite well hidden, I’d have guessed more around 8%. Quite warming in the back of the throat, and finishes malty with a bit of chocolate, but ultimately sour. Perhaps a hint of oak in the flavor? Intriguing.

This is quite the unique beer; I can’t say I’ve had anything else like it. Smells much better than it tastes, to me. It's odd, I keep thinking of a Belgian strong dark ale crossed with a German Hefe. Not a session beer at all, but it’s hitting the spot tonight, and I think it’s well worth a try. Thanks to Khaismus for sharing!

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

A: Bubbling, rocky head, that starts large but disapates quickly. Not what I figured on a weizen, the high ABV (12%) or cold (ice) must reduce the head retention. Dark copper/amber colored. Much lighter than I thought it would have been.

S: Sweet alcohol, caramel, raisins, slight spice. Almost like spiced rum soaked fruit cake.

T: Sweet malt, strong alcohol, caramel, dried fruit, spice. There is a nice spiced rum soaked fruit cake flavor in the middle and roasty almost coffee like late finish.

M: Full bodied, almost cloying but balanced by the alcohol burn. Slick finish.

D: For a 12% beer this is pretty easy to drink. I can't say I would have more than one, but it does go down pretty nicely.

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

Looks: poured with a dense off-white head. opaque and black
Smell: prune, banana, caramelized sugar, faint alcohol, faint roast
Taste: caramelized sugar, raisins, pureed and cooked prune, alcohol, chocolate, earthy and spicy hop bitterness... very complex, but in a good way
Feel: sweet finish
Overall: this reminds very much of good Trappist, along the line of Rochefort 10 and Chimay Grand Reserve, although a bit more sweeter. A nice beer to sip on during winter times.

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

500ml bottle from the LCBO. Pours a shade or two darker than iced tea, murky with a finger or so of head building up. Quickly fizzes out and leaves a collar around the edges.

As I'm pouring, before my nose is even in the glass, banana is wafting out. Close inspection also reveals a hefty dose of cloves, a hint of anise, figs and perhaps a squeeze of pear.

Taste mirrors the nose with an added measure of cloves, a hint of plum. High level of residual sweetness, slow alcohol burn as it trickles down the throat. Almost cola like, a little medicinal dryness in the finish, pretty spicy.

A beer to be reckoned with, 500ml of 12% beer can take you for a whirl - part way through the pint you notice the warming. A nightcap for sure and with the high level of sweetness I'm not sure if I can really rate it very high on the drinkability scale. I imagine some time in the cellar would smooth this one out a bit.

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

Bottle 2008/8167. Pours a light cola brown with a short lived head and leaves very light lacing - appears to be lightly carbonated and scaring me right now as it looks like the pannepot disaster i drank recently. Nose has pure cola, ginko nut, with a smooth vanilla bourbon note. Taste is somewhat spicy with chicory coffee and sea salt caramel, finishes a bit astrigent and acidic to some extent thats nice because at 12% you dont taste or sense a hint of alcohol.

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Slight cloud, dark amber, good head retention.

S - Alcohol, malt, wheat, little to no hops notes, camarlized sugar.

T - Caramel, toffee, very malty, little wheat, burnt sugar.

M - Think and heavy!

O - This is a heavy drinking beer. The malt and sugar bill on this, as well as the alcohol is huge!

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

Whoops! I let a bunch of sediment fall into the glass.. guess that's ok, it's loaded with vitamin B, right?

Although there is not really any head there is alot of carbonation and it can be felt immediately on the first sip. The color is a nearly opaque walnut. It smells like mollasses, prunes, baked apples and yes - alcohol. Even for an eisbock this ale is deep and rich in flavor, sweet and lingering cereal, adding a whole new dimension to my idea of what this style can be. A wonderful drinking experience.

This is a new MUST HAVE for my beer stash.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle purchased at Nathaniel Square Corner Store, in Rochester, NY. This seems like it'll be somewhat of a wheatwine/eisbock hybrid or something?

Pours a cloudy, hazy dark brown, with a one inch head, and lots of sticky lacing.

Smells like brown sugar, caramel, some wheat, plums, and booze.

The taste is similar, this is quite strong, as to expected with eisbocks. Surprisingly no banana, since the base beer for eisbocking is a weizenbock, but there are lots of dark fruits- raisins, plums, figs, almost like a Belgian strong dark ale, along with notes of wheat, caramel, and brown sugar, almost like a wheatwine. Lots of flavor that are slashed through by a rather huge alcohol sting.

Medium bodied, thick for a wheat beer. Low carbonation, sticky sweet mouthfeel. This one of the sweeter beers I've had.

This beer defies style classification, as it shares characteristics with a weizenbock, a Belgian strong dark ale, and a wheatwine/barleywine. For that, it is interesting. It is just hard to get past the booziness and the sweetness.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

P-packaging: very German looking purple and silver label 3.5

A-apperance : pours brown/bronze with a one finger tan head 4.0

S- smell: over ripe fruit maybe banana, alcohol 3.75

T-taste: again with the fruit/banana doughy wheat and warming alcohol 3.75

M-mouthfeel : almost wine like, full bodied and bright

D-drinkability: high ABV and heavy flavor makes this a rare taste 3.0

O-overall: had to try and review again, still not sure what to think 3.75

Original Review 5/16/2011

Bottle 2009/#23981 poured into a pint glass

A : pours brown and bronze amber with a thin deep amber head with lots of breathing

S : yeast,wheat and alcohol

T : fermenting wheat,yeast,barley - very complex

M : surprisingly smooth

D : with its ABV 12% or more and heavy feel, more of a special treat

just for the record-I don't care for wheat beer-but this was very interesting

3.74/5  rDev -11%

Deep brown color, only slight head after pour. There is an abundance of chunky sediment throughout this one, which kind of turns me off a bit, but what the hell, I still think it will be good. I even tried to leave behind the yeast but there was no stopping it. Aroma is a nice rasiny, chocolate, alcoholic experience. Taste is sweet for a second, then overpowered by raisiny alcohol that carries through the finish and beyond. The malt flavor is mostly dark fruit, with a hint of spice, much like a dubbel or grand cru. The mouthfeel runs even a bit thin, not syrupy as expected. Carbonation is adequate, its quite smooth, I don't really detect any grainy or chunkyness despite what I could see in the appearance. A good strong malt flavor overall, but alcoholic enough that you might want to just have one of these and then switch to something less potent...

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

2010 bottle, drank April 2011

A: Dark, black-tea with an off-white head.

S: Booze. Hammy smoke. Wheat. Black pepper, spicy ginger. Hint of banana. It’s more bock than hefe.

T: Strong booze note. Wheat. Touch of banana. Cinnamon, pepper. Big molasses-laden liquorish body. A light woody bitter note hangs around in the background.

M: Med/light body with a strong, warm alcohol character.

O: An interesting brew. The concentrated alcohol drowns out a lot of the softer hefe notes that I felt the standard Aventinus had done a fantastic job of retaining. That said, the alcohol accentuates a variety of new flavors; notably the molasses, liquorish and spice. I’m not sure if it’s worth the trade off though.

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH