Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock Alström Bros

3.09/5  rDev -27.1%

After reading all the extolling reviews on this rare and special beer, I prepared myself for a powerful punch of strong flavor and a malty rich mouthfeel that could live up to the hype (and price).
Honestly, I was disappointed.

The beer seemed a little "bland" in taste compared to the hype I was reading all over the internet. I'm sure if I would not have psyched myself up for "the best beer experience of my life" then I would have enjoyed this beer more and accepted it as the special delicate treat that it is.

I will definitely try this beer again while managing my expectations.
I'm sure I'll enjoy it more next time.

2.5/5  rDev -41%

4.39/5  rDev +3.5%

Bottle date 09.160 - If I'm right, that makes it a 2009 vintage.

Pours brown and murky with burnt orange highlights. It's head is small for a weissbier, and dissipates very quickly to a thin cap. Lacing is spotty. Powerful aroma boasts fig, raisin, and overripe banana notes. Delicate cookie dough and clove aromas linger in the background. There is something of a boozy quality to it that actually meshes quite well with the rest of its scent. It's flavour is sweet, malty, and estery. Fig, raisin, and sweet honey up front followed by banana, slight pumpernickel, and a mild tang thay keeps the sugars from cloying.

Full-bodied with medium carbonation. Feels somewhat syrup and sticky in the mouth. Well-integrated alcohol provides pleasant warmth to the finish without making it harsh. The richness of flavour in this beer verges on decadence, making it a real treat if you fancy something sweet. Love it.

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pouring a nice thick head in my tulip gives the Eisbock a robust look. The lacing on the sides is minimal, but the head retains a creamy foam that allows the smell to liven up the joint.

S: One of my favorite parts of this beer is the aroma. Heavy notes of banana, fig, malt, and even a slight nudge of pineapple create a complex and inviting panoply of olfactory experiences. There's a reason this thing gets so much love.

T: Candied plums, slightly roasted figs, clove, and cinnamon notes all colide in a beautiful collage of flavor. The malts provide a rich texture alongside the alcohol notes. Taking a breath allows the spices to tickle the tongue.

M: Medium-bodied, the leaves a slight aftertaste and goes down way too smoothly.

O: There's a reason this is one of my all-time faves. World-class, this beer is.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Beer bottle (33 cl. #2012/9349) purchased from Bières & Chopes, tasted in 2012.

Appearance : reddish brown color, with tan foamy head.
Smell : roasted malt, dark fruits and clove aromas.
Taste & mouthfeel : dark roasted malt, spicy with dried fruits flavours. Long lasting alcohol in finish.
Drinkability : a very nice good beer in the style Eisbock. To drink very slowly at cellar temperate in cold of winter.

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

G. Schneider & Sohn's Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock: bottle dated 2011; serial # 005218.

I poured about half of the bottle into my glass, then gave the rest of the bottle a modest swirl, poured about half of what remained, then gave the final few ounces a more vigorous swirl, poured them in, and there still remained some sediment on the bottom of the bottle. This yielded a hazy, chocolate-brown body that allows some burnt umber and rust hues to shine through when held up to a strong light source. The grayish beige head rises high and stick around a while before slowly falling to a half-inch ring of foam that evenly covers the top of the beer. I waited and waited for the ring to dissolve into lace. It didn't. Rarely have I seen such staying power.

The beer's aroma is strong enough to reach my nose before I lean in for closer inspection. When I do, I'm greeted with an intriguing bouquet. Dark rum and molasses are at the fore, and complemented by notes of roasted dried figs, prunes and raisins, cloves, and black pepper. A very mild citral aroma lurks somewhere in the background. My mother decorates and perfumes the house in the wintertime by sticking cloves into whole, unpeeled oranges The aromas in this beer remind me of times spent sipping ports and red wine and eating rich holiday fare with the faint smell of those spicy oranges in the background.

My first sip of this beer tells me that it begs to be sipped slowly. Its body is thick, almost syrupy. The alcohol's flavor is well-integrated: It is palpable on the palate, and warms both throat and stomach.

The myriad flavors suggested in the nose are present in each sip, but to them are added those of tawny port wine and cane sugar, roasted hazelnut, black bread, and dates in molasses syrup. The flavors dance about on the palate and grow bolder and more complex as the beer warms. Drink this brew slowly.

Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock is one of the most interesting beers I've tasted. It me over an hour to finish the 11.2 oz. bottle, and when I was finished I thought to myself that I was just growing accustomed to the beer's intensity and complexity. I'll be revisiting this one soon.

2.75/5  rDev -35.1%

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH