1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-EisbockSchneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,821 | Reviews: 1,021 | Show All Ratings:
Litterbean

1.8/5  rDev -57.5%

Pours dark brown with no head. Some yeast and sediment is present. Looks like crap.

The smell is a little sour and tart. Some cloying sweetness and a lot of alcohol. Blech.

Taste? Yuck. All alcohol. There's way too much booze in this guy. I greatly enjoy the Weizenbock, but this is overdone. I miss the banana and clove notes. This is just a disgusting mess. I will never have this again.

09-25-2006 19:43:49 | More by Litterbean
JerseyKirk

1.83/5  rDev -56.8%

A: maple syrup to brown. Slightly off white head.

S: German malty and slight bitey that's unpleasant. Maybe Belgian yeasty. Maybe tiniest smoke and spiciness.

T: malty with tons of residual sweetness. Lacking any bitterness.

M: thin overall

O: not good. Won't ever buy or recommend to anyone. Just not my style.

12-22-2011 00:26:50 | More by JerseyKirk
Hunter

Arizona

2.15/5  rDev -49.3%

Holy cow, I just looked at the ABV...12%?!?! OK...

Even with my nose away from the glass I can smell the alcohol...reminds me of the whisky my Uncle and Grandfather would sip in the evenings. But we'll get there.

On the pour: vigorous carbonation with an odd cacading effect that nevertheless creates only a short-lived head. Beer is something of a muddy cola in appearance. No head and no lacing detract from the appearance score.

Aroma: Fruit and booze, like a fruitcake soaked in rum.also detect notes of something...beefy, for lack of a better word, like Worchestershire sauce. Complex, but man! There's no escaping that alcohol.

Taste: Good God. Sharp and nigh undrinkable. The high-octane flavor is more akin to a shot than a beer. Hits the back of the throat and leaves a trail of warmth all the way down. Afternotes of raisin and grains, but the alcohol is just too much. Much more watery in the mouthfeel than I would suspect.

Certainly different and not for the faint of heart. Might go down better paired with food, I suspect something cheesy or blood-rare. An acquired taste, and one I probably wouldn't recommend. Just not my thing.

02-09-2005 00:44:52 | More by Hunter
BeefyMee

Connecticut

2.2/5  rDev -48.1%

Appearance: A nice transparent orangey brown, but the head was stubborn to form and didn't stick around very long.

Smell: The usual Aventinus aroma, wheaty and sweet, but this one seems to be extra extra sweet. We'll have to see how it pans out in the taste.

Taste: Not panning out very well. The sweetness is worse than I thought. It's just so caramely and sickening that I couldn't wait to be done with it. As an added minus, the alcohol really starts to show about halfway through the glass. And I mean really.

Mouthfeel: Alright until the alcohol kicks in, and then it produces a not so nice burning sensation.

Drinkability: Between the over the top caramel sweetness and the brashness of the alcohol, I hardly wanted to finish the glass, let alone have another.

Beef Notes: I was interested in this one, as I like Aventinus, but it turned out to be just plain disappointing, though I was into it at first. I don't think I'll be coming back.

03-25-2004 06:21:04 | More by BeefyMee
BurgeoningBrewhead

2.25/5  rDev -46.9%

Given this as a gift in a single bottle for christmas. Poured into a wheat beer glass, pours deep cloudy orange with a 2-3 finger white head.
From here on out, my review is biased; I was given this because I like eisbocks, but the giver didn't realize it was a weizen-eisbock. I'm sure this is a world-class beer as the Bros have said, but wheat beers are NOT my thing.
The smell disgusts me entirely, almost to the point of throwing up. That yeasty, wheaty aroma which I know is a sign of a great wheat beer, makes me sick. It smells like an old peanut butter and jelly sandwich to me.
The taste isn't much better; if I ignore the smell I can stomach it, but barely. It's just a yeasty mess in my mouth. Again, I know it's an excellent beer, but I really do not like the style.
Mouthfeel was good, relatively full-bodied as wheat beers are wont to be. Unfortunately for me, the full mouthfeel only exacerbated my gustatory distress.
Overall, I feel like I'm not being fair to this beer. It's obvious it's an excellent beer, but wheat beers in general are not my thing.

12-26-2012 05:04:30 | More by BurgeoningBrewhead
sacfly

Maryland

2.28/5  rDev -46.2%

Bottle number 052651

Brown goo on the bottom of the cap. Pours a brownish/red color. Yeast in suspension is very chunky. Little to zero head. What bubbles are left are very small. Sweet, malty, phenolic nose. Alcohol smell. Strong alcohol in the taste. Very hot. Whiskey aftertaste. Yeasty. Does not change much as I drink. I could barely finish it and considered dumping it. I was hoping to get over the initial flavor shock and pick up hints of something. None to be found. My tongue could simply not get over the whiskey and yeast. How could something as wonderful as Aventinus be mutated into something like this? I am told it is the same recipe, just finished off in the Eisbock manner. It works for some other Eisbocks I have had, but for this one it completely stripped away the blend of flavors that make Aventinus great and replaced it with an unpleasant alcohol burn.

07-22-2005 15:56:19 | More by sacfly
JudgeRoughneck

Louisiana

2.38/5  rDev -43.9%

Note: I am now seeing the reviews of others and noticing that this bottle is dated 2005. It is August of 2007. Perhaps I have reviewed spoiled or stale beer, but isn't this supposed to be one you can cellar?

Murky beer has little carb and no head. Looks like a flat glass of cola. Dark fruit nose with heavy sugar dates, slight, gentle yeastiness, blue berry, black berry, gingerbread...

Wow. Very different. Heavy dark cherry flavors hit hard at the outset. Peppery quality ushers in alcohol, I get ginger again. Alcohol vapors really bring the heat toward the finish. Aftertaste leaves my palate coated and I pretty much feel like I just drank some exceptionally great-tasting cough medicine, but not some exceptionally great-tasting beer.

Everything mellows out and comes together when the beer warms, but still, I am just not into this. I get some herbal hop finally. Any slight flavor contribution from the use of wheat seems to only add to or be swollowed by the harsh qualities of the alcohol. Mouthfeel is flat and very syrupy. I can not finish this.

I know many BAs will have issue with what I'm about to say, but really, if I want this kind of alcohol presence with this kind of flavor profile, I'm going to seek it out somewhere in the world of wine or spirits. I loved Klumbacher's Eisbock becuase I actually thought it did a geat job of bringing a dark, complex, flavor profile with warming alcohol, but still managed to taste very much like beer.

I think this is an interesting drink but lacks the drinkability of beer or the more etherial subtleties of spirits.

08-28-2007 06:53:53 | More by JudgeRoughneck
51mmz0rz

2.42/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into 0.5L Duvel tulip. 2004 / 24881 on the back. From 2004?

A: No head. Looks like a dark iced tea, but cloudy with small bubbles.

S: Smell of yeast, some honey sweetness, and alcohol.

T: Not much here besides yeast sweetness and alcohol. Slight bitter finish. I wish the sweetness would at least hide the alcohol, but it doesn't.

M: Carbonation is good, mouthfeel good too, but the alcohol is a bit overbearing.

D: Alcohol is high, and not masked well. Not horrible if I sip it. I can't give it a one, because I didn't pour it down the drain.

I'm keeping in mind that the bottle might be a little old, but I thought for the abv, it would have aged fine. Needless to say, I didn't enjoy this.

07-04-2006 04:08:15 | More by 51mmz0rz
jdense

Oregon

2.42/5  rDev -42.9%

Beer #15 sampled at Eastern Oregon DONG (Dudes of Northwest Grog) "We Will Bock You!" tasting @ Barley Brown's, 8.6.11.

Light gold a bit hazy body, white head, multiple streams of carbonation, quick dissipation and a thin ring of foam around edge of glass. There's something wrong here, wet cardboard, obviously oxided, overpowered any aroma and flavor nuances. While I'm not sure we would have enjoyed this re the wheat after being pounded by brown sugar, prunes, raisins etc, we all noticed this was one frigging boozy monster. The low light of the tasting. Another of my big deviation beers, the booziness reminded me of Founder's Devil Dancer, and while their are proponents of both of these beers, I'm not one of them. Pass.

08-07-2011 23:31:06 | More by jdense
jwinship83

2.7/5  rDev -36.3%

A- murkey brown colored with lots of fast moving small bubbles, and a huge head that vanishes quickly

S- yeast, alcohol, banana, clove, and bubble gum

T- woah, lots of alcohol burn. not as many wheat like characteristics as i could smell.

M- thin and liquor like with tons of carbonation

D- i liked the idea of a stronger flavored aventinus, but this had just too much noticeable alcohol and felt like i was sipping a glass of hard liquor. maybe this style just isnt for me. one bottle was just about more than i could stand.

10-16-2008 15:48:24 | More by jwinship83
Longstaff

2.73/5  rDev -35.6%

Why mess with perfection and freeze Aventinus to take the water out of it just to make it stronger? The best thing about this beer is how the head is so thick and snaps, crackles, and pops all the way to the bottom of the glass. Other than that, I am not impressed and don't understand the hype associated with this beer. The chocolate malt flavor is more present in this version but does not blend well with the very harsh alcohol flavor. Its like someone took a imperial stout and dumped a shot of cheap vodka in it. I would rather see them try and brew a triple bock instead of just taking water out of the dopple bock to get a stronger more maltier beer. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. What's next, kegs of Chimay?

06-17-2002 08:39:28 | More by Longstaff
bobhits

Kentucky

2.73/5  rDev -35.6%

Dark, cloudy, reddish/brown dirt colored. Well carbonated (amazingly so given the 12%) though not much lacing.

An over powering blast of sweet dark fruits, deep candy malts, and a huge alcohol nose.

There's a darn good beer here behind this strong alcohol kick. I just can't get past it though. This is possibly the hardest to drink beer I've had recently and by far the strongest german beer. This is like a Weizen concentrated with a shot added into it for good measure.

I'd guess this should hold up to some age and that should mellow the alcohol. There is a really good if not great beer hiding under that alcohol.

03-26-2011 19:10:03 | More by bobhits
Manosbeeroffate

Maine

2.8/5  rDev -34%

Something to bring in the new years, or to start welcoming the new year. Pours a cloudy brown with a lot of sediment. Smells quite pruny. Tastes like whoa...prune juice, vodka, caramel, bit of apple and spices, and all of it quite strong. Overall it is a sipping beer and one you must approach with an open mind. Definetly not a session beer, a sipping nightcap type beer. It's a little too fruity for my hoppy palate, but just my opinion only.

01-01-2007 00:02:39 | More by Manosbeeroffate
DeltaGolfSierra

Tennessee

2.8/5  rDev -34%

Appearance is a dark brown with maroon to orange highlights when held to light. The head is thick and dense, but no lacing left behind. Powerful scents remind me of black licorice and root beer - very unique smell. There is a lot going on in the taste - both good and bad. Banana, clove, dark fruit, molasses. It's very complex. But the finish and after taste reminds me of cherry cough syrup. This seemed to get stronger as I drank it, and finally, I couldn't take it anymore. The alcohol is very prominent, and its effects are quickly felt. The mouthfeel is syrupy and slick. I'm not sure how to grade this beer, as it is so complex, but I did not care for it personally, and will reflect this in the overall score.

12-29-2011 12:21:44 | More by DeltaGolfSierra
ithacabaron

2.83/5  rDev -33.3%

Pours a somewhat muddy brown into my glass. The head settles into a compact, clean ring. The bubbles are very tight, the structure more what I would expect from a lager yeast. Not wowing me, not terrible.

Aroma is rich, boozy, dark, and heavy. Leaden, really. Not really impressed here, either. The notes of banana and chocolate that occasionally poke through are smothered by a blanket of alcoholic fumes.

The taste is full, to be sure, and dense. It never feels rich, however, not the way a good aged barleywine does, not the way a beer of this strength should luxuriate in the drinking. This could be part of the aggressive carbonation (more on that in a second), but, even with a more forgiving CO2 ratio, the alcoholic, one dimensional flavor would not be worthwhile.

The mouthfeel I found to be completely inappropriate -- very tight bubbles, and lots of them, scrubbing too hard, never allowing the beer to sit properly. I let the glass sit for a half-hour at one point, hoping time and temperature would blossom the beer's flavors, and let the carbonation dissipate . The carbonation did dissipate, and the flavors became stronger, but they never developed.

Drinkability is low. It's boozy, gassy, all over the place. I wasn't all that thrilled about finishing the one glass. A 3.0 I consider generous.

All in all, a big disappointment. Perhaps I should be kind, as this bottle may have had ill effects from its trip across the Atlantic, but I can't use that excuse -- I've had countless, beautiful, ponderous glasses of Aventinus' regular offering, unharmed byth the travel. The regular Aventinus is a great beer, a world class beer -- this was a letdown. Just more proof that bigger doesn't always mean better (see Bastard, Double).

An unfortunate (and expensive!) loser.

04-08-2008 01:16:41 | More by ithacabaron
shippos

2.85/5  rDev -32.8%

poured a deep garnet-blood red that is hazy in the center and a thin head that dissappears completly after a bit. winey/vinious aroma with alcohol and the german wheat beer aroma lying underneath it, estery and bubblegummy. good amount of carbonation that cuts through a little too much of the decent body on this beer. a thickish wheat beer upfront in the taste followed by a spicy phenolic finish with a good amount of alcohol. I couldn't even finish this though, either wasn't up to it/or couldn't. I was hoping for this to be better than what it was...worth a try at least.

12-27-2004 15:27:58 | More by shippos
Stanford

South Carolina

2.88/5  rDev -32.1%

This was the first Eisbock that I have tried. All positive comments aside from the taste. I guess I was looking for the same experience one gets if you compare a glass Johannesburg Riesling with a glass of Eiswien- indeed the alcohol and sugar content of this Eisbock is stronger, but the flavor of this beer was not what I expected. It has a very strong syrup flavor and reminds me of port wine. I am eager to try other beers of this style.

01-30-2008 03:15:07 | More by Stanford
mentor

Colorado

2.93/5  rDev -30.9%

12 oz single from Red Wagon (Rochester, Michigan) obtained and consumed in December 2004. Poured in a manner to retain the sediment in the bottle. Copper brown that is mildly cloudy and a thin head that quickly settled to a thin ring around the glass. Smells primarily of alcohol and perhaps some spice from noble hops (Saaz?). The taste is sweet alcohol and some bock character. The alcohol sting stays thoughout and after really searching beneath it, I could pick out some othe flavors. There was a hint of clove and, oddly, a hint of cocoa. Mouthfeel was medium-thick and carbonation was moderate. This bock wasn't 'bock' enough for me and the alcohol was just way too much. I'd like to recommend Kulmbacher as a much better representation of the style.

12-23-2004 04:09:46 | More by mentor
DoubleJ

2.98/5  rDev -29.7%

Update 3/4/11: What the hell happened to my Weizen Eisbock?

Poured into an Eisenbhan Wiezenbock glass, the color is the same, but there's better head retention. The aroma is more boozy and grapey, but I can still make out those weizenbock charactersitcs. The taste is where it goes downhill; lots of uber-sweet raisin flavored alcohol dominate with the clove and banana bread tastes pushed way aside. Mouthfeel remains very likeable, big, syrupy, and smooth, not too boozy in this respect, and sticky around the mouth. Damn, this is too sweet; I'm going to struggle to finish the 330 ml serving.

This bottle was a 2010 vintage (costing $5.49), so perhaps it needs a little more time to be outstanding. Or perhaps my tastes have changed so much since my last sampling nearly 4 years ago. I've had my helping of Aventinus Classic in between that time, and I'll be more than happy to drink that in the future.

(4/23/07)

This better be good. I spent $5.19 for an 11.2 oz. bottle at Town and Country Liquor, and it has a printed number on the back of the label. It says 2005/11325 on the back of the label. Well, the moment has come to try it out:

Dark red to brown in color, it's an eye catcher, but where's my head? I barely got one when it was poured, and it quickly went down. But that's okay, I enjoyed everything else this brew had to offer. Have you ever tried to mix a Doppelbock with a Hefeweizen and an Eisbock? That's the best way to describe this beer. It has that delicate yeasty, phenolic, fruity flavor of Hefe's, the chocolate maltiness and raisins flavors of a Doppelbock, and that body warming kick of a Eisbock. All of this creates an extremely well-balanced brew, an incredibly smooth texture, and the defying drinkablilty which begs me to have another of these. At 12% ABV, you better watch how much you drink of this, but it's so damn good.

If this review couldn't get any better, I now know I can find this at quite a few establishments, and cheaper too. Hooray!

Original rating: 3.5/5/5/5/5

04-23-2007 05:00:05 | More by DoubleJ
Nesued

South Carolina

Appearance - Poured into a pilsner glass. Head formed quickly, but resolved almost as fast. No head to speak of remained. Vibrant carbonation was present with dissipation not contributing to any lasting lacing.

Smell - Very strange aroma. Hints of banana, with a spice offering as well. Poured warm. ALOT of a phenol presence. Quite distracting for my taste.

Taste - Wow, big alcohol kick with a continued taste to what the aroma provided as a lead-in. At first, I almost equated this with a Samichlaus, but that was quickly dismissed as the body didn't continue to build. It was just the alcohol talking.

Mouthfeel - The big carbonation fills your mouth and gives you an added "kick" that was begun with the initial alcohol "umph". Watch it on this one. I will say that the intial aroma and taste continues unabated throughout the life of this beer. Nothing much more to see.

Drinkability - As this being my first Eisbock, I'm at a loss as to comparisons. However, I will say this is quite the sipping beer to be enjoyed throughout the evening. Don't try this at home without appropriate supervision! :) I'll have to put some of these away to see how well these mature. To my taste, I didn't find this high ABV as appealing as other offerings. I'll have to expand my experience with Eisbock's to provide a fair comparison.

06-16-2007 00:57:45 | More by Nesued
goz

3.08/5  rDev -27.4%

Bottle 08158 from 2001.
Pours very dark cloudy brown, small head, and minimal lacing. Aroma is powerful - banana, dark fruits (raisin and plum), maybe some apple in there,too. Flavor starts with some banana, middle has the other fruits mixed in with alcohol, and ends dry with a strong alcohol feel to it. Very light carbonation, and a good bit of warming alcohol parade around the mouth.

02-04-2003 09:20:35 | More by goz
Geuzedad

Arizona

3.1/5  rDev -26.9%

Poured this from an 11.2 oz. into a wine glass. Bottle dated 2010 batch #023869

Poured a dark brown with a very thin tan head that faded quickly leaving some tan lacing.

Smell was dried fruits with some wheat and bread smells noted and a hint of alcohol.

Got a fruit/bread taste and finished with a bite, mostly alcohol, but in a good way.

Mouthfeel was smooth, and slick, carbonation noted but not overpowering, alcohol left a tingle.

This was my first Eisbock. Drank it on an empty stomach...wow. A noteworthy experience but not a beer I would have multiples of. Good for a winter night by the fire to feel the warmth, but a night out on the town and I would be looking at the bottom of the bar stool. I would definitely drink it again.

02-24-2011 22:49:10 | More by Geuzedad
TastyAdventure

Kentucky

3.1/5  rDev -26.9%

After reading all the extolling reviews on this rare and special beer, I prepared myself for a powerful punch of strong flavor and a malty rich mouthfeel that could live up to the hype (and price).
Honestly, I was disappointed.

The beer seemed a little "bland" in taste compared to the hype I was reading all over the internet. I'm sure if I would not have psyched myself up for "the best beer experience of my life" then I would have enjoyed this beer more and accepted it as the special delicate treat that it is.

I will definitely try this beer again while managing my expectations.
I'm sure I'll enjoy it more next time.

11-13-2012 02:01:51 | More by TastyAdventure
TexIndy

3.13/5  rDev -26.2%

Poured from a 33cl bottle into a DT snifter. 2008/04209 on the back label. Was a hazy dark mahogany color. Some carb streams. No lacing. It had a small fizzy head that quickly settled into a thin collar.

The aroma was dark fruits, overripe banana, clove and a lot of alcohol. I liked the non-alcohol portion of the aroma as it reminded me of the regular Aventinus which I love. The taste was dominated by the alcohol with very little of the base Aventinus coming thru. Tasted like taking shots each time. I've only had one other eisbock (Kuhnhenn Raspberry) and it did a lot better job of blending in the alcohol. That one I'd have again but not this one.

Overall, not for me. The alcohol taste just dominated the flavor and made me think whiskey more than beer. The aroma seemed to blend it better but not in the flavor department. For me, one and done.

[1x]

08-26-2009 22:30:07 | More by TexIndy
doopiedoopiedoo

Netherlands

3.13/5  rDev -26.2%

Picked up a few of these a while ago. I'd put them in my fridge but for some strange reason I couldn't bring myself to opening this one. Weird but true.

Poured into a snifter.

A rather agressive pour produced just one finger of foam that left quickly. Minimal amouts of lacing so I was left with something that looked like coca cola without all the bubbles.

Loads of smells on this would keep you from thinking it actually is coca cola. There is a soap like scent mixed with booze. Lots and lots of sweetness.

Flavors are intense but I just can't get passed the soapy chemical qualities in this beer. There is also dark fruits, banana and all that. Alcohol is present but not overwhelming.

Medium to full body. Lots of flavors that linger around.

I guess it's good. The soapy thing is just something I have a hard time with. I have one more left but think I will just pass it on.

06-10-2011 17:49:32 | More by doopiedoopiedoo
Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH