Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,329 | Reviews: 1,119
3.07/5  rDev -27.6%

Bottle 08158 from 2001.
Pours very dark cloudy brown, small head, and minimal lacing. Aroma is powerful - banana, dark fruits (raisin and plum), maybe some apple in there,too. Flavor starts with some banana, middle has the other fruits mixed in with alcohol, and ends dry with a strong alcohol feel to it. Very light carbonation, and a good bit of warming alcohol parade around the mouth.

3.09/5  rDev -27.1%

After reading all the extolling reviews on this rare and special beer, I prepared myself for a powerful punch of strong flavor and a malty rich mouthfeel that could live up to the hype (and price).
Honestly, I was disappointed.

The beer seemed a little "bland" in taste compared to the hype I was reading all over the internet. I'm sure if I would not have psyched myself up for "the best beer experience of my life" then I would have enjoyed this beer more and accepted it as the special delicate treat that it is.

I will definitely try this beer again while managing my expectations.
I'm sure I'll enjoy it more next time.

3.12/5  rDev -26.4%

Poured this from an 11.2 oz. into a wine glass. Bottle dated 2010 batch #023869

Poured a dark brown with a very thin tan head that faded quickly leaving some tan lacing.

Smell was dried fruits with some wheat and bread smells noted and a hint of alcohol.

Got a fruit/bread taste and finished with a bite, mostly alcohol, but in a good way.

Mouthfeel was smooth, and slick, carbonation noted but not overpowering, alcohol left a tingle.

This was my first Eisbock. Drank it on an empty stomach...wow. A noteworthy experience but not a beer I would have multiples of. Good for a winter night by the fire to feel the warmth, but a night out on the town and I would be looking at the bottom of the bar stool. I would definitely drink it again.

3.13/5  rDev -26.2%

Picked up a few of these a while ago. I'd put them in my fridge but for some strange reason I couldn't bring myself to opening this one. Weird but true.

Poured into a snifter.

A rather agressive pour produced just one finger of foam that left quickly. Minimal amouts of lacing so I was left with something that looked like coca cola without all the bubbles.

Loads of smells on this would keep you from thinking it actually is coca cola. There is a soap like scent mixed with booze. Lots and lots of sweetness.

Flavors are intense but I just can't get passed the soapy chemical qualities in this beer. There is also dark fruits, banana and all that. Alcohol is present but not overwhelming.

Medium to full body. Lots of flavors that linger around.

I guess it's good. The soapy thing is just something I have a hard time with. I have one more left but think I will just pass it on.

3.13/5  rDev -26.2%

This is fantastic if you like sweet beers. I do not so I was left a little cold. Opaque brown body, refined small bubbles. Large head. Sweet rye bread aroma. Taste of alcohol and rye bread. Sweetness pretty disturbing. It would be hard to believe if I found they had not brewed this in cinamon casks. Smooth mouthfeel with the elegant bubbles tickling. The flavor of this beer rocks, but I cannot get over the sweetness and the high alcohol.

3.17/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured from a 33cl bottle into a DT snifter. 2008/04209 on the back label. Was a hazy dark mahogany color. Some carb streams. No lacing. It had a small fizzy head that quickly settled into a thin collar.

The aroma was dark fruits, overripe banana, clove and a lot of alcohol. I liked the non-alcohol portion of the aroma as it reminded me of the regular Aventinus which I love. The taste was dominated by the alcohol with very little of the base Aventinus coming thru. Tasted like taking shots each time. I've only had one other eisbock (Kuhnhenn Raspberry) and it did a lot better job of blending in the alcohol. That one I'd have again but not this one.

Overall, not for me. The alcohol taste just dominated the flavor and made me think whiskey more than beer. The aroma seemed to blend it better but not in the flavor department. For me, one and done.

[1x]

3.2/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

First off, I was very excited to try this and I love big malt beers and Barleywines. However, something about this did not sit with me well. The sweetness was cloying. The mouthfeel was too syrupy when I usually enjoy that from a Barleywine. There was a licorice/anise thing which I don't like. I also think maybe the yeast strain threw me off, because I usually love beers this big, but do tend to stay away from a lot German and styles because of the yeast funkiness. Just means I have to keep trying stuff til I figure it out.

3.2/5  rDev -24.5%

12oz bottle poured into a goblet. Bottle number 28404 from 2008.

A: Dark with a head that quickly fades and leaves a thin film on the surface.

S: Cloves, bananas, and sugar. Like regular Aventinus turned up to 11.

T: Again, cloves, bananas, and sugar. It gets pretty cloying in a hurry. Slight roasted aftertaste.

M: Heavy. Not much carbonation.

D: It's an interesting idea, but in the end, it was way too big for me. I didn't come close to finishing the bottle. If I'm going to have this in the future, I'm going to have to split it with three or four people.

3.2/5  rDev -24.5%

Looks and smells good but the taste and feel are not impressive.
Overall merely an okay beer.

3.22/5  rDev -24.1%

Bottle from 2005. Pours a cloudy brown with a small, off-white head. It has a strong smell of alcohol and clove and secondary smells of soy sauce and cheese. Wasn't thrilled about the soy sauce and cheese aspects. Tastes of pepper, spice, clove and banana and bubblegum.

3.22/5  rDev -24.1%

Bottle number 2004 / 23488 ~ It's old!

The pour into my too-large Aventinus normal weizen glass raises almost no head at all, just a thin tan layer that quickly (and noisily) fades to nothing. There's a lot of thick, chunky sediment in the murky brown/red/copper body. I suppose I should have poured carefully, but I didn't expect this from the style. A strong, sweet raisin scent poured out of the bottle with the liquid immediately. There are also notes of molasses, pepper, mint, and alcohol. The taste is syrupy-sweet, with huge maltiness. I suppose there's a bit of flavor reminiscent of wheat, but perhaps I wouldn't have said so if I didn't have a label to read. The alcohol is also quite forward. For something so huge, the mouth isn't absurdly thick. Carbonation is minimal, though. A bit rough, overall.

3.23/5  rDev -23.8%

Appearance: A slightly cloudy mahogany with an off-white head. Fair retention. Fine, slow-moving carbonation.

Smell: Dense! Alcohol fumes, sticky sweet dark malts, burnt sugar, overripe banana. A bit smoky, perhaps?

Taste/Mouthfeel: Jesus. Alcohol heat in a big, big way off the bat -- the vapors just roll down your throat. Once that clears slightly, uh... how about... burnt banana liqueur? Phew, it's just overwhelmed by the burning booze, methinks. Mouthfeel is pretty good, maple syrup with bubbles.

Drinkability: For me, bad. It's just too boozy, too hot, too saturated -- it's just too much.

3.24/5  rDev -23.6%

A: An aggressive pour yeilds a small white head and a cloudy dark brown body. The head quickly fades to a thin ring around the outside of the glass leaving no lacing behind.

S: Smells of sweet overripe dark fruits. Strong notes of clove and alcohol, also some banana in there.

T: Alcohol is quite present in this one, as expected at 12%. Lingering tastes are of clove and spices. Big malty character and a bit sweet, almost syrupy.

M: Not much carbonation as I would like, but it is quite smooth and goes down easy.

D: Although this beer is quite smooth, it has some very strong flavors that I'm not enjoying all that much. It's not a bad beer, just not to my liking.

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours out brown-amber with a low head that quickly is gone.
Smells winey , with some clove and cherry.
Tastes a little too sweet for me..and I like sweet beers. A lot of chocolate- covered- cherry flavor , with some cough syrup phenol; and the alcohol punching through. Very winey, with all kinds of spice. Sweet sherry finish.
Very low carbonation...almost syrupy mouthfeel...not crazy about the lingering sweet at the end.
This is actually very similiar to Kasteel Red in taste, mouthfeel and alcohol concentration.
Boy, just one is kicking my ass...pretty high ABV.
I really like Aventinus , but not sure I like it as concentrated as this.
I guess I'll stick to the Weizenbock...and leave the eis zum die kuhle leute( sorrry, high school Deutsch many years ago).

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%

11.2oz brown bottle with bottle # 00490/2005 on the back. Pours a murky brown with some sediment. No head or lace to speak of. Looks thick. Smells of dried dark fruits, brown sugar, alcohol. Very complex. Again dried dark fruit and brown sugar. Very fruity. Thick and syrupy. Hard to drink on a warm June night. Not the best Eisbock I have had but it shoul age very well. I think I will buy some more and stash them away. This one was just too young.

3.27/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Not a big fan of wheat beer in general. But heard alot about Eisbock so had to try it. Poured a murky muddy water look. Amber in color mixed with red and orange... Head is adequate, off white/khaki hue. Noticeable lacing when sipped. Smells of dark fruits, wheat or yeast, and a slight alcohol scent. Taste is different (for my taste). Fruitfulness and wheat come together forming a nice mixture of taste. A little boozy as I continue to sip and it warms. Not bad for a wheat beer...
Overall I will consume again just not on a regular.
Cheers!

3.28/5  rDev -22.6%

Did not care for the medicine alcohol flavor

3.28/5  rDev -22.6%

Appearance: Poured a cloudy brown and was almost opaque in the glass. Fizzy head that disappeared immediately. Very little visible carbonation. Looks dead.

Smell: Smells sweet, rich, and less alcoholic than I would have thought. Banana, esters, and dark fruit aromas. Some molasses/caramel sweetness.

Taste: Very alcoholic to start with, also masking other flavors. Dark fruit flavors and molasses like sweetness. Almost too sweet (syrupy) with the alcohol and sugar giving a weird tingle in the back of your throat. Off flavors present at the end as well.

Mouthfeel: Strong alcohol bite that makes the beer a little hard to truly savor. Little carbonation makes it feel very flat and lifeless. Medium body.

Drinkability: Too much alcohol and too little flavor. Lack of carbonation and off flavors may indicate a bad bottle, though.

Buy Again? Maybe, to see if this one was an aberration.

3.29/5  rDev -22.4%

Had at a holiday party, so didn't take copious notes. Above are my category scores, and the specific notes I have follow:

Appearance: Dark; nice foamy head.
Mouthfeel: Surprisingly light.
Drinkability: Too strong to be very drinkable, but certainly not bad in any way.

3.29/5  rDev -22.4%

I'm a huge fan of the standard Aventinus brew, so looked forward to trying this one out. It takes a close look to pick this one out on the shelf if its anywhere near its cousin as the labels are almost identical.

The appearance of this beer is big let down. Spritzy soda type head that immediately goes to nothing. That's in stark contrast to the other version of this beer. The Eisbock also suffers in comparison to its cousin in the aroma department. Its alll heavy dark fruit, sugar, and alcohol and doesn't have any of the wonderful complexity of Aventinus standard.

Very fruity, big alcohol punch, lots of spritz in the mouthfeel. Better than a macro, but not in the same league as its supposedly simpler cousin. Comparisons to a barleywine are apt. Too harsh edged to be a true hit if you like the other version of this brew. Try it so you know and then go back and pick up some of the other.

3.3/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

-dark brown in color with a very deep reddish, almost purple hue to it. soda like light brown head that only sticks around the edges of the glass for the most part

-very fruity sweet on the nose. almost to the point of being tart...kind of like a sweet tart candy. powdery sense to it. there is a bit of malt deep in there too

-it's hard to really say what is going on in the taste. it's just a big mash-up. heavy malty, but not to a degree to where there is any standout flavors. the carb bite just really gets in the way

-quite carby. it is almost like a soda. big bite on the tongue and throat. it is warm, but not as much as i thought it would be

-not a big fan. i drank the whole thing, but it was more like soda to me. oh well. was excited for it, but cant like em all i suppose

3.3/5  rDev -22.2%

jesus h christ ..this beer has got a bite... a bit thin...

pours a nice big head, low lacing.

..quite tart, with a sweet warming kick..

.batch 2006.

..has a strong wheat library...this is a big beer, but the thinness and appearance lower it to just average.

. needs to be more ...syrupy? ...but i have wanted this for a while and am not sorry i got it..if i had a cellar i would buy a few!!!

3.31/5  rDev -21.9%

Rather clear brown hue with ruby hints, bottle-conditioned with a few floaties around. Aroma is indeed reminiscent of an aventinus in the breay malt profile and gentle spiciness + plummy and banana fruitiness, but the difference lies in the heating factor. The eisbock is quite alcoholic and sweeter. In mouth, wheat chunks are to be found playing around with lovely aventinus flavours, but it’s very heating which makes it less friendly on a sunny day. Dark ripe fruits and pancake syrup character is quite appealing, but this remains vastly inferior to the regular to me, although I prefer the lower level of carbonation in here.

3.31/5  rDev -21.9%

33cl brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a three finger head of slight tan colour, good thickness, nice cream, and good retention. Colour is a nontransparent dark brown.

Sm: Cream, heavy caramelized malt, wheat, Some yeast comes through as well. Dark fruit. Aroma is of moderate strength.

T: Chocolate, light nuts, dark cream, and cream spread over a restrained wheat base. The alcohol hardly comes through at all, which is surprising. Nice hop layering. It's a bit simple, but the build is well done and it's rather balanced.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but a touch thick. I wouldn't call it syrupy, but it's certainly filling. Sort of suits the flavours.

Dr: Very drinkable, especially for the high ABV. As far as eisbocks go, it could do with a higher ABV. I like it, and I'd like to try it on draught.

B-

3.32/5  rDev -21.7%

This beer is strong! 12% really comes through and warms your insides.

Appearance:Musky and a little cloudy if you pour in the yeast sediment. Dark brown, kind of burnt umber. Head dissapates very quickly leaving an undynamic looking beer in the glass.

Smell: Fruitcake. LOTS of dried fruit flavours in here. As the beer warmed, however, a slight hint of soy sauce entered the mix. Not my cup of tea.

Taste: Very sweet and powerful flavours of fruit. The alcohol is definately there. I let a few other people try it and like me, all they could really define was the fruit and a whole bunch of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Pleasant carbonation, but the strength of the alcohol will make your mouth numb if you keep it in there too long.

Drinkability: Haha. Well this, I would say, is a half-bottle-a-night beer. Make sure there's someone around to share with or you'll be dancing on the table in no time.

Overall: This is a beer probably for a more refined palette than mine. I could appreciate the fruitiness but the alcohol to me gave the beer an unpleasant character. I doubt I'll try it again.

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH